Breaking in new boots

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Breaking in new boots

Postby PhoenixRising » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:23 pm

My parents are wonderful and purchased me a new pair of leather Ariat paddock boots for Christmas. Something about the others having cracked leather and holes in them HAHA.
My main question is this... I haven't had to break in a new pair of boots in a very long time. I remember it being a painful, blistering experience in the past. Is there anything I can do to make it easier this time? I've never done anything other than just put them on and go and deal with it.
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams, live the life you've imagined!

myleetlepony
Herd Member

Re: Breaking in new boots

Postby myleetlepony » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:02 pm

Hmm, I don't recall breaking in paddock boots being similar breaking in tall boots, however, I would probably give them a good dose of Lederbalsam to help soften them.

pawsplus
Herd Member

Postby pawsplus » Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:02 pm

If paddock boots aren't comfortable from the get-go, they don't fit. The problem with breaking in is with tall boots.

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:31 pm

What paws said.

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:39 pm

Well, these were ordered from Amazon and were definitely too small. I'm returning them and going to go somewhere local with the money from them to try some on. Maybe I can find a pair that are comfortable from the beginning, but I've never had a pair start out comfortable :lol:

Mareless
Herd Member

Postby Mareless » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:42 pm

The only time I've had uncomfortable paddock boots is if they were cheaply made, which Ariats should not be. Typically for me, the Ariat footbed runs a bit big. My wide-footed daughter loves them. Sorry yours didn't work out for you. Maybe try on another pair of Ariats where ever you go for new ones, and see if it was just that certain pair of if it is all Ariat paddocks that aren't comfy on your feet.

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:56 pm

I loved my last pair once I wore them for awhile and broke them in. If I remember correctly, it was how stiff they were in the beginning that gave me problems until they were broken in. I remember chafing around the ankles and problems with rubbing on the back of my heel when I walked until they weren't so stiff and started moving with my foot. I don't plan on buying anything other than Ariats again after a bad experience with a super cheap pair of paddock boots I bought trying to save money. About the 5th time I fell because of them I was done and bought my first Ariats.

myleetlepony
Herd Member

Postby myleetlepony » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:39 pm

If Ariats cause rubs, I would try to wear thicker than normal socks until they break in. Wear them around the house and out and about as much as possible, too.

Return to “Tack, Apparel, Facilities and Transportation”