Girth for Forward Girth Groove

MaryC
Novice

Girth for Forward Girth Groove

Postby MaryC » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:48 pm

While my saddle is otherwise a great fit for my horse and for me (and she goes fabulously in it), she has a forward girth groove and the billets are back a bit further than on most other saddles. So, the tendency is for the saddle to be pulled forward onto her shoulder.

I've been using a Total Saddle Fit Shoulder Relief anatomical girth which solves the saddle problem. But, the forward edge gaps a bit (as is not uncommon with shaped girths depending on the rib anatomy), putting most of the pressure along the back edge. While she hasn't complained (I use a fuzzy cover), I'm thinking there must be a better way.

Are there anatomical girths that wouldn't gap? Is there another gadget that might work? Someone once mentioned crossing the billets before buckling...does that really work? Any thoughts welcome!

StraightForward
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Girth for Forward Girth Groove

Postby StraightForward » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:10 pm

Here is a CotH post on comparison of anatomical girths.

You don't have much to lose by trying to cross the billets and seeing if it helps. Sometimes I think it makes the girth lie better. One of the "humane" girths with the sliding buckles might help, but they usually have no elastic, and I don't know if there is an anatomical version of one like that, so it may cause another issue while resolving the uneven pressure issue.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showt ... comparison
Keep calm and canter on.

Sue B
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Sue B » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:24 pm

I use the nunnfiner anatomic girth, horse loves it, no extra padding or crossing billets required. Came in a size small enough for him too, I Think 22".

Fancy
Greenie

Postby Fancy » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:48 pm

The Delfina Anatomical Girth is not as extremely shaped as the TSF girth. Here is a review comparing them:
http://ahorseforelinor.com/2015/08/29/delfina-anatomical-dressage-girth-review/
I have used the Delfina Anatomical girth for 5+ years, it does not gape at all, and still looks good as new.
They are on sale now for only $89.
http://www.delfinasaddlery.com/Delfina- ... h-p73.htmlhttp://www.delfinasaddlery.com/Delfina-Anatomical-Dressage-Girth-p73.html

lorilu
Herd Member

Postby lorilu » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:04 am

Is there such a thing as an anatomic girth that is not stiff - especially laterally (side to side) near the buckles? The ones I have been able to actually touch were so stiff - I cannot imagine them being comfortable at all. I currently use an ovation shaped waffle neoprene girth, but I think I need an anatomic one for better saddle fit.

lorilu
Herd Member

Postby lorilu » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:21 pm

OK, just wanted to say I now own a fairfax girth. The change in my horse is evident. Much more reach with front legs. Much more uphill in canter. Much less grouchy face when girthing up.

My trainer has tried it on her young stallion, who is rather expressive under saddle. (not always a positive thing....). She had a different horse. No naughtiness. no hunching at the canter. And must add that he does not have an obviously forward girth groove - but it certainly works on him!

Beorn
Herd Member

Postby Beorn » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:44 pm

I experienced something similar with my gelding and the fairfax, too... He's not suddenly a saint by any means, but he's freer in his shoulder and more willing to move forward.

Return to “Tack, Apparel, Facilities and Transportation”