Waterproof treatment for blankets

Janet
Greenie

Waterproof treatment for blankets

Postby Janet » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:18 am

I never thought I would have blankets stay in one piece until their waterproof quit working, but with the advent of the 1200 denier blankets I have finally done it!

I have seen several products in the online tack stores, one was a spray on, the other you washed the blanket with. Which is best? I need to do two medium weight turn out blankets and two turn out sheets, so the economics of doing it is also part of the equation.

Is there a product that will make them as waterproof as a brand new blanket?

Thanks in advance for the help!

texsuze
500 post plus club

Re: Waterproof treatment for blankets

Postby texsuze » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:15 am

I've always used a spray on product used to treat tents for camping, etc. Can't remember the name but you can probably find in sporting goods store or similar. I've treated blankets and sheets after they are completely cleaned and dried, at the end of the season, before being stored. I pay particular attention to seams, and make sure they have plenty of time to air dry after spraying.

Ike
Greenie

Postby Ike » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:41 pm

Camp Dry. You can get it at Walmart or sporting goods stores in the camping section. It is a spray.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:51 am

I use the Camp Dry. I buy 6-7 cans at a time. It takes about 1 1/2 cans to do my girls' 72-74 blankets. 2 for sure for the larger sizes. I have never had it fail.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

HafDressage
Herd Member

Postby HafDressage » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:45 am

Scotch guard. A friend recommended it and so far so good. I'm sure there are some blankets that are to cheap or two far gone for this to work, but it seems like it's worth a try before buying a new blanket.

Janet
Greenie

Postby Janet » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:21 pm

Thanks everyone!! Off to buy all the Camp Dry I can get from Amazon!!

Does anyone wash their own blankets and/or sheets? I have a standard High Efficiency front loading washing machine and I'm debating washing at least the sheets in there... Good or bad idea??

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:46 pm

The only horse 'clothing' I've ever washed in my machine was saddle pads. Best to take sheets and/or blankets to an out-of-the-way laundromat, where, hopefully, no one will gripe about having critter clothes in the washer. Remove all leg straps, surcingles, etc. which can come off (wash them separately and hang dry). I roll up surcingles individually, wrap a rag or hand towel around them and secure the bundle with rubber bands. I wrap the chest closure buckles the same way (not as easy), in an attempt to keep all this hardware from banging around in the machine :)

Mareless
Herd Member

Postby Mareless » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:56 pm

I wash my horse laundry in my regular washing machine. But, then again, having raised four kids, I have a super capacity washer and dryer :lol:

I figure if I can fit king sized bedding (including a king sized jeans quilt) in there, I can fit a heavy weight horse blanket. And if it was okay to wash husband and teenaged sons' muddy, greasy outdoor 'play' clothes in there, it's okay to wash dirty horse 'clothes' too. :twisted:

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:37 am

I have coin laundry close by. I always get the gross stuff off with a pressure wand and then usually do 2 cycles. They have never ejected me because of my blankets. My washer is big enough for the lightweight blanket and rain sheets but I take the others to the coin laundry.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

Dapple Field
Herd Member

Rambo heavy weight goes in. the problem with the front loaders is that they do not useRe: Waterproof treatment for blan

Postby Dapple Field » Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:50 am

I use a front loading washer to wash horse blankets. Even the 84" heavy weight Rambo. The problem with the front loaders is that they do not use much water so I run it through 2 or 3 times and add an extra rinse. Hang to dry.

StraightForward
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby StraightForward » Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:04 am

I dilute Tide and spray the blanket down, scrub with a stiff brush, then pressure wash until clean and soap free. Hang dry.

Also ditto on the tent spray. We don'the get a ton of rain here, YMMV in wetter conditions.
Keep calm and canter on.

Return to “Tack, Apparel, Facilities and Transportation”