tell me about tall boots..

martha sc
Novice

tell me about tall boots..

Postby martha sc » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:44 pm

I've been away from riding for several years and am shopping for new tall boots. In the past I had a super pair of Ariat Monaco's with the stiffner up the back, no zippers . The leather in those was firm, they fit snugly and riding in them was like having better educated legs !
Now I am shopping and see the new boots are much softer leather with zippers ,giving a sleeker fit at the ankles. Will these softer leather boots give the same kind of support the old style one did? Thanks, I'm trying to spend my $$$ wisely.

bailey
Herd Member

Re: tell me about tall boots..

Postby bailey » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:23 am

I'm about to buy a pair of Monaco talls, I have the paddock boots and have loved them. I'll let you know what I think of them.

The calmer I am, the stronger I am.

Niki
Greenie

Postby Niki » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:04 am

I'm not an expert but did have a pair of lovely stiff leather boots for awhile and i just couldn't get used to them and ended up selling. I had been previously riding in short boots and fairly stiff leather gaiters and was so excited to get the long boots. I just found i wasn't as stable and i struggled to aid correctly and lightly as i didn't have the same feel through the stiff leather as the lighter gaiters.

I have several friends who have had similar experiences and generally all prefer the softer leather long boots or short boot/gaiter mix, especially in our hot climate.

Josette
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Josette » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:01 pm

Years ago, I had purchased the tall Ariat Maestro without zippers (cheap $200) and then had zippers added to the inside by local cobbler. I'm still wearing them and love that I had no blisters or sores during break in period. I had previously tried Cavallo which were stiff - harder to break in, rubbed back of my knees and I felt less sensitive to side of horse. Certainly a personal choice but I love the softer Ariats.

Also, dug out of my closet a pair of new Ariat paddock boots and rode with half chaps recently. Again, very comfortable for me - no break in and no rubs. (I'm a pack rat and purchased them on sale to save if needed.)

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:50 pm

What size are you? I have a stockpile of new/almost new boots that didn't work for me (many bought on ebay without returns).

martha sc
Novice

Postby martha sc » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:32 pm

My old Ariats are 8.5 wide calf, and they fit fine then, but now I can't pull them on. I thought about having zippers put in them, but until they are opened, I wont know if the foot still fits me, so it's a gamble. Even 1/2 chaps don't have my size, the measurements look ok on the size charts, (16.5"), but then when I get them ,they are 2 " shy of meeting around my calf. Curse old age and chunky legs.

Josette

Postby Josette » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:32 pm

Ariats do come in extra wide width if you look up the various styles. Maybe you can try on a pair and decide about the fit. (maybe order pair online to check sizing provided you can return them if they don't fit.....) Also, there is the possibility to add Possibly zippers to your current boots with a bit extra elastic to fit like an extra wide might do the trick. You would have to check with a cobbler if feasible.

martha sc
Novice

Postby martha sc » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:58 am

Josette,I've done that. My measurements are within the wide size chart range , but when they arrive, I can't get them on. I've been to some good tack shops with the same results.

Josette

Postby Josette » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:08 pm

ok - I understand now and it sounds like you need to try other manufacturers. Ariats tend to be more fitted/narrow in the ankle. Finding Boots or saddles with the best fit is not easy....

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:30 pm

I'm in the same boat, ariat 8 MW use to fit me well, my calves have gotten a bit wider, but I do believe they have changed the construction of the boots. I was told by a ski boot fitter that i have 'low' calves, which could be part of the problem. The widest part would fit my widest part ok, if I could get them on!

martha sc
Novice

Postby martha sc » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:30 pm

Orono, I always had to have lower cuff ski boots, even when I was 20 lbs lighter. Never had it called low calves!

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:58 pm

I have never heard that term!! My new ones aren't low, but are accomodating. I sent you a pm re dress boots. :)

HafDressage
Herd Member

Postby HafDressage » Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:48 am

Martha I just spent the last year on the hunt for affordable stiff boots. I finally ended up just going custom, but here are two options I considered on way. While they aren't super cheap, both are the traditional "stiffness" of a dressage boot and not as expensive as custom boots.

If these fit your measurements, they are worth a try: https://www.smartpakequine.com/pt/denir ... -boot-8848

These I believe are an updated version of the boots you had before: https://www.smartpakequine.com/pt/ariat ... oot--12201

Return to “Tack, Apparel, Facilities and Transportation”