Micklem Bridle

musical comedy
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Micklem Bridle

Postby musical comedy » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:53 pm

I bought one! I am not a person that goes for gimmicks. I am not a person that switches bits, saddles, etc. looking for some fix. I don't really have a good explanation about why I bought it. I was curious I guess and the concept made sense to me.

It fits my horse beautifully. He is not a horse that can wear an off the rack bridle because he needs an OS nose and brow, and then horse (or even cob) cheeks. This bridle fits!

I do find it improves my ride. It is subtle. I think what helps the most is that noseband. I use loosering bits, and that noseband stablilzes the bit nicely. Maybe if I had used an eggbutt, I would have had the same improvement, dunno.

Another thing I've found, and I would need a scale to confirm it, is that the weight on the head is less with the Micklem because of where the bit is attached.

I noticed that Deanna has one on her pony, so maybe she will weigh in on her opinion. I do find, and it is probably my imagination, that getting flexion doesn't seem the same with the Micklem.

I have the competition model that has the small rhinestone brow. I got a good deal on it from eBay from UK.

Ganas
Herd Member

Re: Micklem Bridle

Postby Ganas » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:52 am

I managed to find a barely used one on Ebay for a really good price. I bought it for the same reason as you, I was curious.

I've heard that some horses really don't care for them, but one of my horses loves it. Night and day difference between a regular bridle and the Micklem. Oddly, he normally takes a 19" browband but needed an 18" for the Micklem. (He has a wide forehead, you could park a bus between his ears.)

I use it with an eggbutt. I can't say why the horse goes so much better in it, he just does.

I do think they're ugly, but I'm not the one having to look at it when I'm in the saddle!

RedMare
Greenie

Postby RedMare » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:15 am

I find that the young horses really seem to like them. I think they provide a lot more stability and comfort.

NancyP
Novice

Postby NancyP » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:59 pm

I have been using one on my 6 yr old 13hh pony for a few weeks and he loves it.
I put his blingy browband from his BR Bridle on it :)

The 'Small horse' size fits him perfectly.
Most Cob bridles are too long for his face, too big in the noseband and too small in the browband and throatlatch.

He likes his bit pulled up high and snug, so the 'dropped' noseband on the Micklem is great. His contact is so much steadier.

DJR
500 post plus club

Postby DJR » Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:42 am

I don't know why I bought a Micklem for my Fjord-x pony, but I did and it fits her beautifully. She's a cob-size but the small horse Micklem fit her nicely. I may try it on my long 2 yr old who just started wearing tack as I think, as others have said, that it provides a bit more stability. The only trouble with the Micklem is that it is not legal for the hunter ring because the noseband can only be worn as a drop. But, I only show sporadically in hunter so it's a minor inconvenience.
formerly known as "Deanna" on UDBB -- and prior to that, as "DJD".

Spotted at X
Greenie

Postby Spotted at X » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:13 am

I've had one for probably 6 years? I love it! And it's easy to lunge in with the nose band ring!
Leopard and Spot fanatic! :mrgreen:

Code3
Herd Member

Postby Code3 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:53 pm

I use a Micklem on one of my horses and he goes well in it. I use it with a NS bit.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:21 pm

As you probably know, there are several different models of this bridle. I have heard that the original one has a stiff leather and not so high quality. I don't know this; it's only what I've read.

I have the Diamante Model and this is different from the regular Competition Model. It did not come with reins and it doesn't have any rings for lunging. IMO, the quality is on par with top of the line bridles. I also do not think it looks funny, at least not on my horse.

I also wear a NS single joint point (Demi Anky), but it is a loose ring. I think the way the noseband stablizes the bit is what my horse likes. That, and the head piece farther back.

Here's what I have.

Janet
Greenie

Postby Janet » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:19 pm

Ganas wrote:I managed to find a barely used one on Ebay for a really good price.

musical comedy wrote: I got a good deal on it from eBay from UK.

I hope this isn't too off topic, because I don't mean to derail this very interesting discussion, but how do you find these deals on ebay? I am always overwhelmed when I go to ebay and a bit intimidated in that I don't know how it all works. Any suggestions or encouragement?

I would very much like to try one of these bridles, but I don't want to spend my whole new bridle budget on what may (or may not!) be a gimmick. I have a gut feeling that my horse has issues with his bridle and/or bit, but nothing more specific to base it on - so I would love to try one, or even a Dr. Cook bitless bridle, but I hate to spend the $$ if it won't make him happier in the bridle. Prior to me, my horse was ridden by some very large men who were very heavy handed. He is extremely sensitive to the bit. Even now If I get even a little strong or busy with my hands for any reason he just shuts down. A new bridle (or bit) probably won't make a difference, but I think I would like to try. It is a very, very thin line between contact and shutdown.

Ganas
Herd Member

Postby Ganas » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:35 pm

What I do is set my Ebay account to alert me if anything comes up under a particular search. Easiest to do on the eBay app I have on my phone. So for the Micklem, I got a lot of alerts because tack shops list them, but finally a private seller put one up with an amazing buy it now price and I pounced on it. I think I paid $90.

Ganas
Herd Member

Postby Ganas » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:36 pm

Dover Saddlery might still do trials, I don't know for sure.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:43 pm

Janet, I rarely go to ebay, so not much help on the best way to use it.

Using the right key words in google always helps me find what I'm looking for.

Here is a used Miklem horse size on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Micklem-Multibr ... SwA4dWIv1l

I have read that the original Miklem's have rather stiff leather, but I don't really know. The competition model I have is nice leather.

If you are interested in a bitless, maybe the Miklem multi-bridle would work for you. There are probably lots of used Miklem's out there for sale because not everyone likes them or they didn't fit their horse.

Janet
Greenie

Postby Janet » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:51 pm

musical comedy wrote:Janet, I rarely go to ebay, so not much help on the best way to use it.

Using the right key words in google always helps me find what I'm looking for.

Here is a used Miklem horse size on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Micklem-Multibr ... SwA4dWIv1l

I have read that the original Miklem's have rather stiff leather, but I don't really know. The competition model I have is nice leather.

If you are interested in a bitless, maybe the Miklem multi-bridle would work for you. There are probably lots of used Miklem's out there for sale because not everyone likes them or they didn't fit their horse.

Yes, I saw the one on ebay today - it is the whole bidding thing that has me intimidated. I want to just buy it - but not at full price lol! It has 6 days left. Maybe I will work up my courage and see what happens!! Thanks!

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:42 pm

Oh shucks, I thought the $85 was the price. I didn't see it was getting bid on. $85 would have been a good deal.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:17 pm

I have tried both sizes of Micklem's on my petite Andy cross and alas...neither one fit her well. I have not tried the competition bridle. I think the placement of the straps would be much better for her as a regular cavesson pushes all her flabby inner cheek tissue into her teeth (this is a huge problem). I am currently riding her without any cavesson at all and having good luck improving her connection in a positive way. I won't be showing any time soon so I guess we will just go cavesson-less.

Susan

Ganas
Herd Member

Postby Ganas » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:29 am

Another place to look for used tack are the various Facebook groups. English Tack Trader is one, there's also one for Horseware products only. I see more listed on those nowadays than on Ebay. It's a bit of a leap of faith to purchase that way, but I think PayPal offers a bit of protection. I've bought and sold successfully there.

Found one on the Horseware page:Image

Janet
Greenie

Postby Janet » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:57 pm

Ganas wrote:Another place to look for used tack are the various Facebook groups. English Tack Trader is one, there's also one for Horseware products only. I see more listed on those nowadays than on Ebay. It's a bit of a leap of faith to purchase that way, but I think PayPal offers a bit of protection. I've bought and sold successfully there.

Found one on the Horseware page:Image

Ganas - Thank you! I've requested membership!!! It is things like this that made me so sad when the UDBB closed. I am so glad that we have all found a way to continue this awesome community!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:10 am

FYI - I've been interested in trying one of these but now it's sounding like they may no longer be legal according to the USEF proposed rule. "Bridles are not permitted in which the noseband is connected to the bit or cheekpiece below the level of the browband." Maybe they think that the noseband is engaging along with bit action? https://www.usef.org/documents/ruleChanges/444-15.pdf
Keep calm and canter on.

Ganas
Herd Member

Postby Ganas » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:27 am

StraightForward wrote:FYI - I've been interested in trying one of these but now it's sounding like they may no longer be legal according to the USEF proposed rule. "Bridles are not permitted in which the noseband is connected to the bit or cheekpiece below the level of the browband." Maybe they think that the noseband is engaging along with bit action? https://www.usef.org/documents/ruleChanges/444-15.pdf

Hmmm. You're right, that does sound like that's what they're up to. That will be interesting, I see a lot of Micklem's at the shows.

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:36 pm

I believe Janet is an official (TD?), so she can probably shed some light on the rule change.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:32 pm

I do not think this is about the Micklem. I say that because the 2015 Rulebook specifically says the Micklem is permitted. If they were changing that, that particular section of the rulebook would be showing a proposed change, and it does not.

Ganas
Herd Member

Postby Ganas » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:34 pm

musical comedy wrote:I do not think this is about the Micklem. I say that because the 2015 Rulebook specifically says the Micklem is permitted. If they were changing that, that particular section of the rulebook would be showing a proposed change, and it does not.

Oh I hope so.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:08 pm

Ganas wrote:
musical comedy wrote:I do not think this is about the Micklem. I say that because the 2015 Rulebook specifically says the Micklem is permitted. If they were changing that, that particular section of the rulebook would be showing a proposed change, and it does not.

Oh I hope so.
I'm not showing and likely never will again. Still, I would be annoyed if they prohibited the Micklem. There are people that think the Micklem does this or that (allowing more pull on the noseband, pull on the poll, leverage, disguises poor contact, etc.). All I can say is that my horse takes better contact, more IFV, and higher in the poll in the Micklem.

Janet
Greenie

Postby Janet » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:43 am

Racetrackreject wrote:I believe Janet is an official (TD?), so she can probably shed some light on the rule change.

If you are referring to me, I am not an official - or a TD. I don't even compete any more, so I am afraid I can't help with the legality - I just want to try one.

Ganas
Herd Member

Postby Ganas » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:36 am

musical comedy wrote:
Ganas wrote:

Oh I hope so.
I'm not showing and likely never will again. Still, I would be annoyed if they prohibited the Micklem. There are people that think the Micklem does this or that (allowing more pull on the noseband, pull on the poll, leverage, disguises poor contact, etc.). All I can say is that my horse takes better contact, more IFV, and higher in the poll in the Micklem.

I would still like to show if the planets align and it's possible, but mostly I dread the fallout if Micklems became illegal. I fear that all of a sudden one won't be "good enough" as a rider if they're seen using one. I personally don't know a single rider that uses exclusively Micklems. Everyone I know has horses that go in standard snaffle bridles with the usual suspect KK bits, but also horses they feel go better and HAPPIER in Micklems. I don't think that needs to be changing.

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:52 pm

Janet wrote:
Racetrackreject wrote:I believe Janet is an official (TD?), so she can probably shed some light on the rule change.

If you are referring to me, I am not an official - or a TD. I don't even compete any more, so I am afraid I can't help with the legality - I just want to try one.

Ah, I thought Janet from COTH was a TD and I thought you were her, but I'm likely wrong on both accounts. She just knows every single thing about the rulebook! lol

LTison
Greenie

Postby LTison » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:43 am

Well I think I am going to give this bridle a try! MC, i appreciate your posting this!

I just bought a new horse. An 11 year Swedish horse who I adore. He is a lovely mover but is pretty fussy in the bridle. He has a couple of face issues which I am working to resolve piece by piece:

1. He needed some fairly extensive dental work that we have taken care of. I must say, this has not improved his work much at this point. If anything he is a more fussy.

2. He is a pretty mouthy fellow. He isn't mean in any way, but is always messing around with the lead rope, biting the cross ties, etc. His previous owner(trainer) gives lots of treats by hand, which I have learned not to do. I am hoping this goes away, or at least is diminished once I have him at my barn. My home barn is quarantined for strangles right now so I can't bring him home yet. :(

3. Bridling is where I see one of the biggest indications of his discomfort. If left alone and allowed to do what he wants, he will literally stand with his head in the air as high as he can lift it until he can't hold it there any more. I certainly can prevent this, because he is a good boy, by laying my arm over the top of his ears while bridling him but wanted to see what he does in his own. I definitely think he is uncomfortable.

4. I have never ridden a horse so hard to maintain contact on. Once he is connected, his work is very nice but I have a hard time maintaining it. Prior to me buying, he has done quite a bit of jumping and has been allowed to put that head up while doing a course. I have to do a lot of very active riding, leg yielding him into the outside rein almost constantly to keep him on the bit. I bought him knowing this. I don't mind the work ( and can use the exercise) but definitely think he can be better and happier in his work.

5. Once that bridle comes off, he is very eager to rub his face on anything he can find, including insisting on rubbing it on me. I am not fond of this at all but again think this a display of discomfort.

So I ordered it the bridle today! I know not to expect miracles, but am anxious to see if I am able to help relieve some of these issues.

Thanks for the idea!

Lisa

NancyP
Novice

Postby NancyP » Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:15 am

Most Tack Shops will let you try one out for a week. We keep one exclusively for this use.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:09 pm

What "contact issues" do these theoretically help with? My new horse has a tendency to open his mouth in response to contact. It's not my hands, he's an equal opportunity mouth-opener. If you put a flash on him he braces against it. Without a flash, he just opens his mouth. Just a bit, but just enough... I suspect he's bracing against the noseband, and I think it's just a habit he's got into over the years.

It's not enough to get me flung out of the show ring, but I feel that a more honest contact would be of great benefit to us. Do you think this would be worth a try?

(And yes, teeth are good, current bridle fits very well, have tried different bits to no avail.)

Janet
Greenie

Postby Janet » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:37 pm

LTison wrote:Well I think I am going to give this bridle a try! MC, i appreciate your posting this!

I just bought a new horse. An 11 year Swedish horse who I adore. He is a lovely mover but is pretty fussy in the bridle. He has a couple of face issues which I am working to resolve piece by piece:

1. He needed some fairly extensive dental work that we have taken care of. I must say, this has not improved his work much at this point. If anything he is a more fussy.

2. He is a pretty mouthy fellow. He isn't mean in any way, but is always messing around with the lead rope, biting the cross ties, etc. His previous owner(trainer) gives lots of treats by hand, which I have learned not to do. I am hoping this goes away, or at least is diminished once I have him at my barn. My home barn is quarantined for strangles right now so I can't bring him home yet. :(

3. Bridling is where I see one of the biggest indications of his discomfort. If left alone and allowed to do what he wants, he will literally stand with his head in the air as high as he can lift it until he can't hold it there any more. I certainly can prevent this, because he is a good boy, by laying my arm over the top of his ears while bridling him but wanted to see what he does in his own. I definitely think he is uncomfortable.

4. I have never ridden a horse so hard to maintain contact on. Once he is connected, his work is very nice but I have a hard time maintaining it. Prior to me buying, he has done quite a bit of jumping and has been allowed to put that head up while doing a course. I have to do a lot of very active riding, leg yielding him into the outside rein almost constantly to keep him on the bit. I bought him knowing this. I don't mind the work ( and can use the exercise) but definitely think he can be better and happier in his work.

5. Once that bridle comes off, he is very eager to rub his face on anything he can find, including insisting on rubbing it on me. I am not fond of this at all but again think this a display of discomfort.

So I ordered it the bridle today! I know not to expect miracles, but am anxious to see if I am able to help relieve some of these issues.

Thanks for the idea!

Lisa

Lisa - so much of what you say above is similar to the issues with my horse - especially the difficulty in maintaining contact. At times, it is lovely - other times (like this morning) it started pretty good, then when I ask for more bend - he was done with contact for the day! I can't always decide what makes the difference. Often rides start very bad and end beautifully. Today was the opposite - started good, ended bad.

I don't want to resort to gimmicks, so I am wondering if this is gimmick or legitimate. I anxiously await your feed back on the product as our issues sound similar - including the face rubbing after the ride.

LTison
Greenie

Postby LTison » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:20 pm

Hi Janet,

I will definitely report back. I should be getting the bridle by Friday and am going to be spending the night in Ocala Saturday night to get a few rides in.

Take care.

Lisa

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:08 pm

double
Last edited by musical comedy on Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:27 pm

Moutaineer wrote:What "contact issues" do these theoretically help with? My new horse has a tendency to open his mouth in response to contact. It's not my hands, he's an equal opportunity mouth-opener. If you put a flash on him he braces against it. Without a flash, he just opens his mouth. Just a bit, but just enough... I suspect he's bracing against the noseband, and I think it's just a habit he's got into over the years.

It's not enough to get me flung out of the show ring, but I feel that a more honest contact would be of great benefit to us. Do you think this would be worth a try?

(And yes, teeth are good, current bridle fits very well, have tried different bits to no avail.)

My personal opinion is that the mouth-open problem is a habit in some horses. It is a habit that may have started early when they were first started or later during the training. I believe that is why some trainers really tighten the noseband and flash on youngsters. Once they learn they can open their mouth (or hang a tongue), then that is what they are going to try to do. It's too late to strap the mouth, because as you say, they will fight it. And I agree with you, that they will do it on a loose rein.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:32 am

musical comedy wrote:My personal opinion is that the mouth-open problem is a habit in some horses. It is a habit that may have started early when they were first started or later during the training. I believe that is why some trainers really tighten the noseband and flash on youngsters. Once they learn they can open their mouth (or hang a tongue), then that is what they are going to try to do. It's too late to strap the mouth, because as you say, they will fight it. And I agree with you, that they will do it on a loose rein.

I appreciate your input. Probably not worth it to try, then.

LTison
Greenie

Postby LTison » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:02 pm

Used the new bridle 2 times and can report I did experience quite a bit of improvement in our connection. Not perfect but improved! Unfortunately I also switched his bit to a Baucher, so unfortunately I have somewhat contaminated my experiment.

I did notice that he tried to rub on me less so think that is also a plus for the bridle. My only criticism is that the reins are a little short. He has a long neck and I have short arms. :)

I am planning on keeping the bridle and happy I got it. Still have a ways to go in the canter transitions but the seller can do it perfectly so I know it's me.

Return to “Tack, Apparel, Facilities and Transportation”