What is the purpose of a flash?

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

What is the purpose of a flash?

Postby PaulaO » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:07 pm

Why are flash nosebands used? I have my theory but want to hear what others say.

Chisamba

Re: What is the purpose of a flash?

Postby Chisamba » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:40 pm

well, like all pieces of tack it can be misused, however, i use it like a drop nose band, only it is much more adjustable. even with drops that have four piece adjustments it can be difficult to set it correctly. So, if correctly adjusted the horse can still eat a sugar cube, while having the flash on, and it helps keep the bit stable in the mouth.

I know that some people adjust it so that the horse cannot open the mouth to evade the action of the bit on the bars.

that said, i have, hanging on my saddle rack, ten flashes, just looped around , that have never come anywhere near the bridle.

AmityBee
Herd Member

Postby AmityBee » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:32 pm

I was taught, that it basically has the same function as a correctly used drop noseband. It should keep a horse from laterally shifting the lover jaw to avoid the bit/aids.

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:31 am

I hadn't thought of the sugar cube as a 'test' but since I always give one at the mounting block, without issue, my flash be ok! :D

heronponie
Greenie

Postby heronponie » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:09 am

What people say it's for: stabilizing the bit

What it's actually for: crank the mouth shut

martha sc
Novice

Postby martha sc » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:56 pm

When I put one on the catch ride drag me around school horse I'm occationally on, she got a lot softer and allowed me to use much lighter contact. my hands aren't different, so I'm thinking it keeps her from plowing through my hands. As soon as I added it, within 2 rides she began to soften and lift her previously unreachable back. Comments?

Mareless
Herd Member

Postby Mareless » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:16 pm

martha sc wrote:When I put one on the catch ride drag me around school horse I'm occationally on, she got a lot softer and allowed me to use much lighter contact. my hands aren't different, so I'm thinking it keeps her from plowing through my hands. As soon as I added it, within 2 rides she began to soften and lift her previously unreachable back. Comments?

What I have been told is that the flash serves two purposes:

1. It keeps the horse from lolling it's tongue out the side of it's mouth (we've all seen a horse that plays with/flaps his tongue while ridden, I'm sure).

2. It keeps a 'heavy' horse from laying on the bit so much.

So, from that, I would say #2 fits what you describe.

As a side note, when I first began training my mare (a 12yo who had been green-broke to walk & trot @ age 4, then not ridden for 8 years), my trainer had me ride her in a flash. As she got steady and more solidified in her training, and pulling on or laying on the bit wasn't an issue, the trainer had me remove the flash.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:44 pm

heronponie wrote:What people say it's for: stabilizing the bit

Well then, isn't that what any cav is for? Last night I bridled my unstarted 3 yo without a cav, and she proceeded to loll, chew and try to spit the bit out for 20 minutes. When just a loosely adjusted French caveson is on, she's immediately quiet in the mouth.

That's not to say that some people do adjust it too tightly and crank the mouth shut.

I audited a Hilda Gurney clinic and she said she starts her horses with a flash to prevent development of a busy mouth, hanging tongue, etc.
Keep calm and canter on.

Code3
Herd Member

Postby Code3 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:26 pm

That's insulting for those of us who actually use equipment correctly. I start my horses in a drop so that they don't start crossing the jaw as AmityBee said. It stabilized the bit. I also start my horses in a fulmer. My horses are not heavy and their mouths have NEVER been cranked shut. In fact, they quite easily accept a treat with a drop noseband.

I'm down to two horses. Neither currently is in a drop. In fact, one is without a noseband since he has a special bridle due to headshaking. The other is going nicely in a Micklem. Again, he easily eats treats and is not cranked in any sense of the word.

There are many people I know who do not say it is for one thing but use it for another.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:45 pm

Code3 wrote:

That's insulting for those of us who actually use equipment correctly. I start my horses in a drop so that they don't start crossing the jaw as AmityBee said. It stabilized the bit. I also start my horses in a fulmer. My horses are not heavy and their mouths have NEVER been cranked shut. In fact, they quite easily accept a treat with a drop noseband.

I'm down to two horses. Neither currently is in a drop. In fact, one is without a noseband since he has a special bridle due to headshaking. The other is going nicely in a Micklem. Again, he easily eats treats and is not cranked in any sense of the word.

There are many people I know who do not say it is for one thing but use it for another.

thank you

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:04 pm

Correct use: stabilizing the bit
Incorrect use: closing the mouth

Personally, I don't use them but they can be helpful with early training of young horses. I often think that drops work even better for the needs people/horses have.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:01 am

piedmontfields wrote:Correct use: stabilizing the bit
Incorrect use: closing the mouth

Personally, I don't use them but they can be helpful with early training of young horses. I often think that drops work even better for the needs people/horses have.

They are supposed to work better, traditional trainers prefer them, I do not know if it a failing of mine but I can never be happy with the fit of a drop, so prefer the flash

greenhorse
Novice

Postby greenhorse » Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:46 am

Their purpose is to cause endless arguing on dressage boards. Hahahaha! :mrgreen:

Return to “Tack, Apparel, Facilities and Transportation”