New saddle - brown?

Ellie
Greenie

New saddle - brown?

Postby Ellie » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:05 pm

It's been about four years since I seriously rode dressage, but I've missed it and am all in again! My saddle is a poor fit for my (newer) mare, and so I'm shopping for high quality/used and have put mine on consignment. My independent saddle fitter brought nine saddles for me to try yesterday, primarily to eliminate brands that were or were not a good fit for either/both of us. Mare is extremely petite with a short back and pretty tricky to fit. Surprisingly, one saddle fit both of us very well and with re-flocking, could be wonderful, albeit pricy. It's only about a year old and lovely. However, it is brown with a "cognac" patent cantle panel and red/cognac trim. I know that brown has become super popular but I'm still a bit hesitant. Resale could be iffy, but I'm not planning on ever selling my mare, so that's not really an issue. My mare is a buckskin, so black looks great, but this also looks wonderful. And, I like to be different. Fit first and then my own comfort is most important, but if brown really is not as popular as I've been led to believe, I don't want to make a huge investment and then be snickered at. What do you see in your area? I'm in northern California. Thanks in advance!

quinta
Herd Member

Re: New saddle - brown?

Postby quinta » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:35 pm

If it fits you and fits her, go for it! I would have happily bought brown, but black was what I found used to fit both of us. I see mostly black here in NC but the occasional brown. I've never heard anyone make a negative comment about a brown saddle.

Fatcat
Herd Member

Postby Fatcat » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:07 am

I had a beautiful brown 30+yo passier for my last horse. I sold it for what I paid when that horse died.

jaybird660
Greenie

Postby jaybird660 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:12 pm

Fit is, of course, most important and I have seen and ordered brown for some people. Resale would be very difficult down the road, not just because of the brown but because of the burgundy cantle. If that doesn't concern you, and you're confident to stand out, then go for it.
Jay McGarry
saddle fitter
jay@trumbullmtn.com
www.trumbullmtn.com
800-442-9672

Josette
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Josette » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:12 pm

I love brown tack in saddle and bridles (drool over those cavallo brown boots). For me, fit is #1 priority and I enjoy coordinating schooling pad colors. OT - I have a lovely KL Select Epson style brown padded snaffle (not crank) bridle. KL Select changed bridle names but this was the petite model made for smaller breeds - TB and Arab heads. (excellent condition with matching new reins if you might be interested)

Hayburner
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Hayburner » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:41 pm

I too think fit is the utmost important issue for you. Can you find this same saddle in black? Maybe on-line? There are a few really good re-salers on line.

I specifically bought brown to use on my Chestnut and White Pinto, it loved lovely on him. I'm now using it on my bay mare and it works fine. When your riding no one will really be looking at the color of your saddle or the burgundy cantle. They will see more of saddle pad and YOU!

BTW- I also have a petite horse with a shortish back - what saddle are you looking at? Once my girl muscles up a bit, I'll be looking for a new saddle for "us".

Return to “Tack, Apparel, Facilities and Transportation”