The Warhorse - the Tale of Tuddy

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: The Warhorse - the Tale of Tuddy

Postby Chisamba » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:32 am

I would guess the mounting block incident frightened enough that he is now looking for scarey things at the mounting block. Time for a major intervention. Are you confident your trainer is handling his spook in a way that is decreasing it?

Punishment or harsh correction after a spook can intensify the scare.

Even without being corrected, a horse can become terrified of being mounted. My nieces horse became a so frightened by some one falling off when mounting that it took three people to get on for months, even though the horse was totally safe once mounted. He was in South Africa so i had no hand in his training, just long distance advice.

PS,. if your horse can be completely happy begging for carrots at your door, he can be just as relaxed at the mounting block, or the baler.

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:19 pm

Chisamba wrote:I would guess the mounting block incident frightened enough that he is now looking for scarey things at the mounting block. Time for a major intervention. Are you confident your trainer is handling his spook in a way that is decreasing it?

Punishment or harsh correction after a spook can intensify the scare.

Even without being corrected, a horse can become terrified of being mounted. My nieces horse became a so frightened by some one falling off when mounting that it took three people to get on for months, even though the horse was totally safe once mounted. He was in South Africa so i had no hand in his training, just long distance advice.

PS,. if your horse can be completely happy begging for carrots at your door, he can be just as relaxed at the mounting block, or the baler.

This. I totally agree.

He spooked with me at the block and it took two on the ground to hold him while I got on. Ugh, I am feeling we are regressing and not progressing. I sent some video to his old trainer and am awaiting feedback.

I ride in a Collegiate Convertible dressage saddle, and will be taking it down a size tonite. He has lost enough weight now that I feel it can be made one size narrower. I am thinking it drives into the shoulder area on the right side when I put my foot in the left stirrup, causing pain, causing bolting. Or at least part of the cause.

He gets a fully body work session next weekend too. Chiro, massage, and cranio sacral.

I ride with Eddo tomorrow and Sunday - maybe - and then after that, he just gets time off from riding until after the body work. I am going to just do some ground work stuff with him next week. I think both of us need a mental break from the saddle.

Thanks for the suggestions peeps! You have no idea how grateful and appreciative I am! Because we haven't seen images lately, here is one I took last night.

04-21-2016 Tuddy 2.jpg
04-21-2016 Tuddy 2.jpg (179.54 KiB) Viewed 27076 times

kande50

Postby kande50 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:23 pm

Tuddy wrote:He spooked with me at the block and it took two on the ground to hold him while I got on. Ugh, I am feeling we are regressing and not progressing.

Many years ago (about 30) I was riding a spooky mule and went to dismount and my winter boot was wedged in the stirrup just enough that I lost my balance and fell. I didn't pull on the reins or kick the mule, but I think the problem was that he was already nervous so this one little thing really scared him, and voila!, I'd created a mule who would sometimes stand to be mounted, but other times he'd spook just as I was swinging up.

My solution to the problem was to mount (very carefully) from the other side, but when the dh started riding the mule he didn't want to have to mount from the other side so he ended up putting the mule's driving bridle on him, which had blinders/blinkers, which also solved the problem.

Seems that as long as the mule couldn't see the rider move he was okay with it.

We still have the mule who is now in his 30's, and although he did eventually get over his mounting issue (about 20 years later), he's still a spooky old mule.

My horse is spooky too, but not about people, as his issues are all with things he imagines he sees, or might have seen at one time, or could possibly see in the future.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:10 pm

I was riding Kimba with a sprained ankle once, and when i dismounted it gave and i fell into her. she startled and jumped away from me , no big deal, right? wrong, for a while every time i started to dismount she would leap sideways. of course the first time it happened, i was caught off guard and fell again, so now she was confirmed in the idea that dismounting was a scarey thing.

I then began to remember to restrain her and dismount in stages until she relaxed about it. i only remembered it after reading Kandes, comment. Sometimes we make a small mistake and it has exponentially bigger consequences.

i am sure Tuddy will come around, it really took years for Deneb to lose some of her fears, including a year off completely. So, i feel like Tuddy has a lot of time to mature into relaxation

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:41 pm

Have you considered getting help with someone who specializes in young horses? Maybe they could work in conjunction with your trainer
to get him a little more settled. IMO he needs to get his confidence sooner than later, and taking him off to a schooling show is not a good idea.
If he isn't even sound in the basics of obedience he needs to stay home until he is.

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:44 am

Oh the idea of a schooling show is out the window. Totally ok with that. I received some feedback from his previous trainer. Need to dig into a little further.

Thanks!

vkitty
Greenie

Postby vkitty » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:57 am

My little black freight train took off from the mounting block as I was swinging a leg over.. the first time I rode her early in the morning during her usual turnout time. Fortunately she took me with her as she made a beeline for the pens so it was comical rather than deeply upsetting. I had to be very stern and deliberate about standing until I say walk off after that until she got used to the new routine. Stern and deliberate followed by a peppermint. (She still gets her turnout, but later.)

kande50

Postby kande50 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:14 am

vkitty wrote:Stern and deliberate followed by a peppermint. (She still gets her turnout, but later.)

I feed a treat after I get in the saddle every time I mount, which of course, isn't necessary anymore, but I enjoy feeding treats. I also make sure that my horse is calm before I put my foot in the stirrup, because I know that stuff can happen when I'm half way on, and if my horse is already anxious and something happens his reactions will be a lot bigger than if he's calm and waiting for his treat when it happens.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:20 pm

I am not against giving a treat after mounting, i will often do it from the right first, and then from the left, perhaps it just gives them time to stand still and think about something pleasant :)

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:06 pm

I lost my sh*t yesterday at my lesson with Eddo. Not the type of "OMG I can't do this, and I am so overwhelmed wahhhh" but a "tears flowing holding myself back from being disrespectful but really wanting to because it seems like its okay for people to be disrespectful to me, my horse and other people in general, and thinking I am too sensitive but really, they need to have a good look in the mirror if you think that being sensitive is a flaw!"

:shock: Whew. Alright then. ;)

I spent $280 for a weekend of ride time and ended up riding for 15 minutes and 22 seconds. According to the video on my phone. :lol: Kinda think that coaches/clinicians/experts, etc., sometimes forget that students like me/us are the reason they have a paycheck, and that we all have to start somewhere.

On a positive note, Tuddy was a freaking rockstar! We lunged first, I mounted with help of my coach and a friend with no problem and then it all went downhill from there. Being the sensitive person that I am, I didn't say what I thought, because I didn't think I had to, plus I was so insanely mad and probably couldn't talk through the tears.

I got off my horse, looked Eddo in the eye and apologized for not completing the lesson.

And I walked out of that arena with my big warhorse in tow giving that clinician a view of our very nice Canadian asses.

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:49 pm

Wow. :shock:

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience!! It sounds like you at least made a graceful exit!

Josette

Postby Josette » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:16 pm

I'm so sorry you had a bad experience. This is the ugly side of the equestrian sports. I say go ride and enjoy your horse.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:36 pm

Tuddy wrote:I spent $280 for a weekend of ride time and ended up riding for 15 minutes and 22 seconds. According to the video on my phone.

I don't understand. What did you do the rest of the time? Did you leave at the end of the weekend, or part way through?

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:59 pm

kande50 wrote:
Tuddy wrote:I spent $280 for a weekend of ride time and ended up riding for 15 minutes and 22 seconds. According to the video on my phone.

I don't understand. What did you do the rest of the time? Did you leave at the end of the weekend, or part way through?

I booked two private lessons with Eddo over the weekend. One on Saturday and one on Sunday. Things were so far behind on Saturday, that I had to cancel my lesson before it could start because of other commitments, (don't get me going on that story), and it was 15 minutes and change into my Sunday lesson when I walked out on Eddo in a raging fury. So, yeah. :?

Oh well, life lesson learned. Don't get me wrong, I am okay with walking out on this lesson. I don't worship the ground he walks on, and I am sure it is no skin off his back. He didn't have anything to say as I was walking out to make me want to mount up again and give it another go.

I am giving Tuddy time off this week until he gets his chiro/massage treatment. I will lunge and ground work with him, but no riding.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:39 pm

Tuddy wrote:
I booked two private lessons with Eddo over the weekend. One on Saturday and one on Sunday. Things were so far behind on Saturday, that I had to cancel my lesson before it could start because of other commitments, (don't get me going on that story)

So you still have to pay for that lesson even though the clinician missed your time slot?

, and it was 15 minutes and change into my Sunday lesson when I walked out on Eddo in a raging fury. So, yeah. :?

Because he was insulting?

Josette

Postby Josette » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:38 pm

Kande50 - once you hand over the money in many circumstances it is non-refundable. Sometimes the rider has to make the decision that the clinic lesson may be a negative experience. I would do the same and walk out on a clinician given the wrong circumstances.

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:49 pm

It wasn't him who had to cancel the first lesson last minute, it was me. If I hadn't had other commitments, I would have probably stuck around to ride my lesson.

As for being rude, I wouldn't call it rude, but very arrogant. Arrogance is a lack of respect, in my opinion, and if you can't respect the people who sought you out to learn from you, then find someone else to drink your Kool-Aid.

I am sure that there are people that would disagree with me, but at the end of the day, it's my horse, my money and above all, my self worth that matters the most.

I went to go see Tuddy yesterday after work, and we just had some hang out time. It was wonderful. :mrgreen:

kande50

Postby kande50 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:12 pm

Josette wrote:Kande50 - once you hand over the money in many circumstances it is non-refundable. Sometimes the rider has to make the decision that the clinic lesson may be a negative experience. I would do the same and walk out on a clinician given the wrong circumstances.

I realize that, but would expect a clinician who was unavailable at the agreed upon time to offer to refund the fee even if it wasn't required, since he was the one who dropped the ball. I would have let him know ahead of time that I had another commitment though, so that he could plan accordingly. Not that I've ever taken my horse to a clinic and planned to leave after my lesson, as I like to stay for the day and watch the other lessons, but I do feel that if the clinician or the barn drops the ball then they should offer a refund.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:23 pm

Tuddy wrote:
I am sure that there are people that would disagree with me, but at the end of the day, it's my horse, my money and above all, my self worth that matters the most.

It sounds to me like you handled it well, and I would have done the same thing if I was uncomfortable with the way things were going.

Kelo
Herd Member

Postby Kelo » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:28 pm

Tuddy, so sorry about the bad clinic experience. I'm not sure I understand what happened that caused you to walk out so quickly -- was he ignoring you? Or mean to your horse? Or you just didn't click? But you do have to look out for yourself and your horse first.

I do understand the sunk cost issue and frustration. Mine isn't as bad as yours, but I went to a clinic last year. As it turned out, the clinic was way below my skillset and a total waste of my time and I was reeeeeeaally disappointed. I also walked out and didn't come back the second day, and I didn't get MY money back, either. I may understand the reasons why, but I still feel ripped off because if they'd properly communicated what the topics were, I sure wouldn't have gone! I suppose lessons learned...

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:53 pm

Thanks for the support everyone. :)

As for what he did, it was his attitude how he went about teaching me. The one remark really hit me - "I didn't come all the way to Regina for you to show me that you can't do it" Really? Because that is what I am paying you to do. I show you what I can't do and you help me do it. If I could do it, you wouldn't be here. It is called teaching. And getting me to do exercises without telling me the reason behind them got me really confused at one point, and he got snarky and said, "Why don't you show me what you do know." and that is when I turned my horse in the middle of the arena and thought to myself "Well I KNOW, that everything that I have learned in the 25+ years of being around horses will not be acceptable knowledge in your eyes, and I also KNOW I can end this right now." And I did. I got off my horse, looked at him and said, "I am sorry, but I am not doing this." and Tuddy and I walked out.

And it all happened in 15 minutes and change :evil: ... could you imagine if I had stuck it out the whole 50 minutes of my lesson? I would have been a basket case!!

kande50

Postby kande50 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:12 pm

Kelo wrote: I still feel ripped off because if they'd properly communicated what the topics were, I sure wouldn't have gone! I suppose lessons learned...

Poor communication is usually what's behind most of these disappointments, which in many cases are almost impossible to avoid for lack of time and experience.

I don't think the clinician or barn should feel like they need to offer a refund just because someone didn't get what they were hoping for, but if the clinician isn't even available to teach at the agreed upon time then I think they should.

Someone in a clinic I attended inadvertently sent his complaint email to everyone who had been there, and he apparently, wanted a refund because the organizers hadn't provided a horse that he felt he "could learn anything on". And this was *after* he'd stayed and ridden the provided horse(s) for 3 days. But it was the same person who had to tell everyone he talked to, within the first few minutes of the conversation, that he'd won a class with 20-some horses in it at some big show somewhere, so I don't think anyone was in the dark about what his real problem was. :-)

I think clinicians and organizers are on the same kinds of learning curves that participants are, so every time something goes wrong at a clinic they learn how to avoid making that particular mistake again.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:35 pm

Some clinicians are more geared toward a certain type of rider. Eddo is one of them. I usually recommend people watch clinics before signing up for them.

Usually the clinician is not in charge of schedule.

That said, ipaid quite a lot of money for a clinician who rushed my horseoff her feet for most of the ride because I was overweight and he took it upon himself to give me some exercise. For my second ride i handed him the horse and suggested he show me how forward she should be. He did ninety percent of the ride in walk shoulder in, because running around was the worst thing for her at.that time.

I only shared that because you seemed so frustrated and angry i wanted to offer empathy.

That said, I assumed you knew what kind of clinician Eddo is and felt ready for it, but i am sure in private many would have warned you if you asked.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:57 pm

I'm sorry you had a bad clinic experience. Although I'm also glad it wasn't that bad, as actually Tuddy did well in the setting with you in warm-up!

As Chisamba suggested, it is very useful to watch clinicians teach before riding with them. It's also useful to see how the clinic hosts handle things (how did the first day get so behind??).

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:59 pm

Chisamba wrote:Some clinicians are more geared toward a certain type of rider. Eddo is one of them. I usually recommend people watch clinics before signing up for them.

Usually the clinician is not in charge of schedule.

That said, ipaid quite a lot of money for a clinician who rushed my horseoff her feet for most of the ride because I was overweight and he took it upon himself to give me some exercise. For my second ride i handed him the horse and suggested he show me how forward she should be. He did ninety percent of the ride in walk shoulder in, because running around was the worst thing for her at.that time.

I only shared that because you seemed so frustrated and angry i wanted to offer empathy.

That said, I assumed you knew what kind of clinician Eddo is and felt ready for it, but i am sure in private many would have warned you if you asked.

Oh, I have watched Eddo before and rode with him last fall for one impromptu lesson. I was on my coach's much more trained than I have now horse and things were a lot easier. Eddo had no recollection of who I was this time around, and not like I expected him too, but still no excuse as to how he treated me (and others too, apparently, now that I have shared my story).

I get what you are saying Chisamba, and thanks for the empathy, but it doesn't matter if you are a beginner rider, or an Olympic rider, everyone should be treated with respect, and you shouldn't have to be a "type of rider" to be graced with the honor of being taught by someone.

I have to train numerous people in my job. It's part of the job description. Some people learn the minute you show them, others the tenth time, and others still are asking questions. It doesn't matter to me. I never treat them like they are incapable. (At least I sure hope not.)

As for clinic hosts, well, in my experience, the clinic host thinks the clinician farts rainbows who can never do any wrong, and if they thought differently, the clinician probably would never return.

Anyways, it's over and done with and I am moving on. :D

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:30 pm

alright then, onward and upward we go!! :)

Josette

Postby Josette » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:31 pm

Tuddy - rainbows! :lol: :lol:

demi

Postby demi » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:14 am

Ok, I just learned that if you type a reply and before you post it, go up to "like" another post, you lose your own post!

So here I go again: So sorry about your clinic experience, Tuddy. I can tell you really try hard. The bolting from the mounting block is a tough issue to deal with and you didn't need a bad clinic experience on top of that...Just be careful and keep trying.

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Sun May 01, 2016 7:51 pm

We had a really good couple of lessons the past week. Wednesday, we just had a ground work lesson and introduced him to poles and he did fantabulous. I think he will be the horse that has to stop and eat the flowers at each letter marking or jump standard. Goof. Thursday, I didn't see him, Friday we just played in the arena with the big ball, and then last night was the first time I hopped up since Sunday. He was great. Our lesson was about 20 minutes total because he was doing so well, and I was feeling pretty good about it all, that when we did a halt, I just asked my coach if we could leave it at that and she said that was a perfect idea. It was a good day.

Pictures of the week:

Playing with the ball, or should I say, me playing with the ball... https://youtu.be/bnYPiNV7wpc

And this one taken last night after our ride. I know I am tooting my own horn here, but I can't get over how ruggedly handsome he is. He is my Sam Elliot of horses. I just purchased one of those StripHair kits, money well spent, the amount of hair that came off compared to a shedding blade was amazing. And no metal to scratch the skin. Then I used it to clean the saddle pad, again, no metal to rip the fabric. Highly recommend.

Braided Tuddy.jpg
Braided Tuddy.jpg (227.03 KiB) Viewed 26820 times

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Wed May 04, 2016 8:33 pm

Tuddy is ridiculously good looking :-D

Flight

Postby Flight » Wed May 11, 2016 10:19 pm

I just caught up, sorry about your clinician experience, but good on you for leaving if it wasn't right for you rather than staying there and putting up with it.

LOL at the ball video!! :D That was funny. He was like "meh, whatevs".
Lovely photo :)

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Fri May 20, 2016 3:46 pm

Oh hi! :D

No training update, but maybe someone can relate with how I am feeling?

I think I have been on Tuddy twice since the clinic. I am working some real stupid hours at work, which come to an end as of 3:30 pm today, and have just been to exhausted to do anything else.

Does anyone ever lose their mojo for a bit, and just want to hang out with their horse and not really do anything? Is it wrong that I just don't want to do any real work at the moment? If so, do you feel guilty about it?

One on one time, not doing any work is still good for the soul, is it not? Too me, things just seemed a little too rushed, and I want to just take the time to remember what it is like to enjoy these creatures for what they are, not for what they can do for us. That is cool right?

Anywho, it's the May 2-4 weekend and I am looking forward to just hanging with the famjam, both two legged and four, since I have put in 480 hours at work, and have only had three days off in the past 51 days and I think I just need a 2-4 of Bud Lite and some chillaxing.

Chillingwiththevillian.jpg
Chillingwiththevillian.jpg (162.83 KiB) Viewed 26667 times

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Fri May 20, 2016 5:02 pm

Nothing wrong with that. Between work and family and the weather (pouring rain right now) I sometimes go a week or more without riding even though my ponies are at home! Sometimes I'm lucky to have time to just give them a pat before dark! Lol On the other hand, if there is still enough daylight and dh cooks dinner, I'll go ride even if I think I'm too tired or a migraine is dragging me down. I know that sitting on the horses renews me both mentally and physically, even if all I do is ride down the road a ways. But there truly is nothing like just going out to the pasture and getting a little hang time with a horse.

demi

Postby demi » Fri May 20, 2016 11:20 pm

I agree with SueB. Between all the other stuff we do, it's really no big deal if the horses don't get ridden all the time. Horses kept at home usually have it pretty good. When I was younger, before I retired, I went through phases where I didn't do a lot of riding. Now that I think about it, when my mare, Demi, got sick, I quit riding for a year, and that was just around 7 years ago. When I got my mare, Rocky, she was only 3 and all I planned to do with her was trail ride. I rode Rocky for several years before I got interested in dressage again. Even then, I was half hearted about it. I just wore cowboy boots and jeans. I was reading the UDBB training forum and that was my only connection to dressage.

You have made a big effort at dressage and aren't getting much positive reinforcement for your efforts. You are getting good experience, but you may not be able to see it that way at the moment. You are young and have a lot of horses and riding ahead of you. I encourage you to do exactly what you are doing. Enjoy your horse and see what happens. As you put it, take the time to remember why you enjoy these creatures!

Keep us posted. Even the occasional ride counts as training and writing about it may help you see it for what it is. Most of us on the board right now are not pros. I know, for myself, I really relate to hearing what other amateurs are doing, and it doesn't have to involve triaining up the levels. Sometimes we are moving ahead quickly, and sometimes we are at what seems to be a standstill. Just remember this is just a moment in time and you are young.

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Tue May 24, 2016 7:49 pm

Thanks Sue B and demi, you are very encouraging.

I didn't see much of him this past weekend as it was terrible windy, and I just needed to be at home to do other farm stuff.

But a certain someone turns 9 years old today, so I will be stopping at the tack store for some birthday treats for the big #warhorse!

Happy Birthday Tuddy!

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Tue May 31, 2016 4:07 pm

Hey peeps!

Hope all my American friends enjoyed their long weekend. :)

I finally had a proper riding lesson on Friday with the #warhorse. It was pretty good, we didn't even lose our minds when riding by the big red baler, that was a win in itself. :lol:

Here is a video of a few minutes near the end of our lesson. We were working on transitions to help him carry himself more. My diagonals are off, but my coach wasn't too worried about that, at that moment. I have yet to canter on him, but he is offering it more on the lunge line with ease, so I am hoping he is ready to offer it under saddle soon.

Again, any tips, suggestions and/or constructive criticism is encouraged.

https://youtu.be/uBaRqohm8Zc

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue May 31, 2016 8:15 pm

Looking good!

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Tue May 31, 2016 9:54 pm

He looks very good, steady & relaxed!

vkitty
Greenie

Postby vkitty » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:49 am

both looking very good :)

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:24 pm

I had Tuddy's eyes checked by the vet on Friday. I was not able to be there myself as I had another commitment, so my coach, who is also the barn owner, held him for the vet. The big red baler is still scary after all this time, even though it is getting better, but I just wanted to rule out a physical issue before I treat it as behavioural.

We are calling in the specialist from the vet college for further investigation of the changes that are going on in his eyes.

Yay.for.me. :( I hope it isn't anything really bad, but I just feel like the worst horse mom ever, and yet so proud of Tuddy for trying his heart out for me, even though it is probably very overwhelming for him at times.

Some good vibes would be greatly appreciated.....

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:26 pm

Good luck, hopefully there is nothing serious going on.

demi

Postby demi » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:10 am

Yes, good luck, Tuddy. Keep us posted.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:21 am

No, you are a good horse mom. You took notice that something was wrong and you re doing something about it.

Best of luck. You really are having a lousy horse year.

vkitty
Greenie

Postby vkitty » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:23 am

He is a good boy and you are a good horse mom. Thinking good thoughts.

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:30 am

Good luck! Hopefully it's something that is easily addressed!!

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:49 pm

God-Gives-Us-Only-What-We-Can-Handle.jpg
God-Gives-Us-Only-What-We-Can-Handle.jpg (71.33 KiB) Viewed 26295 times

This is what I am going with.... lol! I am not really a religious person, but I am a spiritual one, so the universe must have something in store for me.

Thanks for all the encouragement! I called the vet back to find out what exactly is happening and she is off today. I won't find out til Monday at the earliest.

Kinda irked that she never called me all week to at least get the ball rolling on setting up the specialist appointment(s).

Hoping to ride tonite. I will at least do some lunge work with him. I have a bunch of unexpected company show up and now I need to play hostess with the most-est.

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:52 pm

Well.... Tuddy had cranio/massage/osteo done yesterday. The things we can learn from body workers! I still haven't heard from the damn vet about what actually is going on with his eyes, and if I don't hear from her by noon tomorrow, I am parking myself outside that clinic after work until I get some answers.

Back to the body work. I told the therapist about how the vet seen changes in his eyes that we are going to investigate further, and she pushed his mane out of his face and said, well no wonder he can't see anything, look at his eye level. This poor hoss had one eye much higher than the other. She worked on that at the end of the session and was able to make them look a little more even, and will come back and do another session on him in about 6 weeks.

As for massage work, he was really locked up on the front end, and she said because he has such an (abnormally) huge front end that is carrying most of the weight, that it would naturally be pretty locked up. She said that the dressage work will help with that and not really to worry about it.

She said by looking at him, he is really well proportioned, considering the chest is so much wider that the rump, and confirmation wise, he should be a dream to ride, but yet, the eye thing really puzzled her. She said that all horses have a level of unevenness - one side is stronger than the other for most horses and people, but she said this is was the most extreme she had ever seen.

Tuddy Body Work - Copy.jpg
Tuddy Body Work - Copy.jpg (229.65 KiB) Viewed 26262 times

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:40 pm

Finally heard back from the vet. Tuddy has immature catarats in both eyes. Left being worse than the right. I will be getting the specialist from the vet college out to do some further investigation.

Ugh... I'll keep ya posted.

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:07 am

Try not to worry too much, most horses adjust to having them. When my gelding got the diagnosis it helped me immensely to deal with his spooks, so maybe this will be a step forward and not a step back.

leheath8
Greenie

Postby leheath8 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:49 am

Thanks for sharing your journey so far - I enjoyed reading it! I hope the cataracts are manageable.

I know how you feel when work is so draining that you don't have the energy for anything else. My young horse basically got 3 months off being ridden at the beginning of this year because there was too much going on in the rest of my life. I managed to lunge her once a week and it actually was a good thing because we worked on her canter strength (beginning walk-canter transitions) and going into scary parts of the arena (or working when snow was sliding off the arena in very scary ways) and increasing her confidence in me (which definitely translated when we started riding again). At first I felt guilty, but then I realize she and I have our whole future together and it is better to do something positive (even if it is just hanging out and bonding) rather than have a bad ride because I feel obligated to ride even though I am really not up to it. Now the rest of my life has settled down, I am riding 4-5 times per week and we are making great progress so I don't think we really "lost" anything taking 3 months off.

Return to “Dressage Training”