Melania's speech Plagiarism??

bits
Herd Member

Melania's speech Plagiarism??

Postby bits » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:06 am

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Who in their right mind would write a speech SO close to the previous first lady's speech???

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/19/politics/ ... index.html

Did nobody do their homework here and think for two split seconds?

WOW, just WOW.

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Melania's speech Plagiarism??

Postby Chisamba » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:56 am

I think as much as I dislike Trump, etc al, it's both career suicide and obvious sabotage. There is a speech writer that got fired from their last job ever

It was not as close as the time Obamas a speech plagiarized governer Devals, but nearly.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:37 pm

Did you know that even the iconic " in have a dream speech" had "borrowed" themes. Prathia Hall used the term " I have a dream" repeatedly at the mount olive baptist church service, after which MLK started using it repeatedly in his speeches.

I was surprised to find MLKs doctoral dissertation had plagiarized passages too.

Harder took get away with it in modern times, i guess.

hoopoe
Herd Member

Postby hoopoe » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:29 pm

well they say that literature only contains 6 plot arcs.. shrug

There are a limited number of platitudes.

In this case,however, it would have been smart to use fresh words in the speakers natural style.

I am more concerned that they GOP had to shut down its chat comments when anti-Semitic chat took over during / after Gov Lengles speach

cb06
Herd Member

Postby cb06 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:59 pm

Honestly, I give her a pass and really don't care if she (aka. her speech writer) plagiarized...
I am much, MUCH more appalled about the comment from the congressman from Iowa, Steve King, who defended the lack of diversity at the RNC by wondering what 'sub-group' besides whites contributed to civilization. :shock:
A substantive quote that seems to reflect the inner thinking of someone who is contributing to the party platform.
...its just beyond appalling..and he is a SITTING Congressman....gah! :(

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Postby boots-aregard » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:41 pm

I'm beginning to care that the Trump Campaign may think their best way forward (with delegations walking out of the convention) is to throw Melania under the bus. That seems needlessly cruel.

(JK. I doubt that actually happened, because the two events happened too close together for the response to be planned. But the stone wall the Campaign uses is ugly, stupid, and completely unnecessary. "Oops" and it would have been forgotten. But no "oops" out of these folks. Hell no. Just ugly, stupid and unnecessary. And he's running for president...)

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:41 pm

Like I said in FB, the whole Trump campaign,. Maybe even the whole political scene this year, we seems like an ironic piece written for the Onion. I keep expecting people to catch the joke and say it isn't true. Sadly that has not happened yet.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:08 pm

cb06 wrote:Honestly, I give her a pass and really don't care if she (aka. her speech writer) plagiarized...
I am much, MUCH more appalled about the comment from the congressman from Iowa, Steve King, who defended the lack of diversity at the RNC by wondering what 'sub-group' besides whites contributed to civilization. :shock:
A substantive quote that seems to reflect the inner thinking of someone who is contributing to the party platform.
...its just beyond appalling..and he is a SITTING Congressman....gah! :(

Because it's easier took attack a woman than it is to address anti-Semitism or racism. Well done b social media and the bully pulpit.

cb06
Herd Member

Postby cb06 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:28 pm

I think that is the very frustrating part. The media controls the message/topics that drive the headlines and by default what 'everyone' is talking about...but it is not 'news' or even remotely in-depth or put into context, it is whatever sensationalized 'Entertainment Tonight' style celebrity gossip they think can sell ads/rating/papers (a la a hint of the Hunger Games)...and, like you said Chisamba, putting a target on model Melanie is easy pickings and ratings gold...a painfully ignorant statement, that might require some thought and follow-up, from some old mid-western white guy, not headline material.

Look at the news from even 20 years ago, it was mostly actual news, and they didn't just parrot some blatant lie from a partisan mouthpiece...we almost don't have intelligent news anymore, it is purely driven by the 'entertainment' factor.

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:48 pm

We live in a society where it seems that, for the majority of people, celebrity is everything. That explains why we have a celebrity, who has little more than his celebrity to recommend him for anything, running for President of the United States.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:50 pm

KathyK wrote:We live in a society where it seems that, for the majority of people, celebrity is everything. That explains why we have a celebrity, who has little more than his celebrity to recommend him for anything, running for President of the United States.

It worked for former President Ronald Reagan :)

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:23 pm

At least he had been governor of a state with a large population and a large economy.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”