The beginning of a new equine adventure !

Backyarder3
Novice

The beginning of a new equine adventure !

Postby Backyarder3 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:41 pm

I already posted this in the Seniors forum but thought I'd share it here too.
My niece, a horsewoman herself, messaged me one day and told me that her coach had found a nice mare that was up for rehoming. I was not looking for a new horse, I'd faced the facts that it was over for me, I retired my Tb mare Oct 2015. But hey, there's no harm in looking at pics! Theres no harm in making a phone call for details...and gee who says you can't go look!
So with my other niece in tow, also a horse woman, off I go. I have ridden a lanky Tb for 20 years, and when I rode another gelding at times he was also a lanky TB! I was presented on arrival at the farm with a 15.1 hh (NOT!) hairy ,fat ...PONY! She was very sweet, had been a brood mare and had been played with a bit through the years, she's 12 ,had been ridden 5 times this year, this was Sept, she let 3 people hop on and off , w/t and even a short trail ride with pheasants fluttering up under her..there was a spook but easily managed....we stood and talked and she stood patiently with us , blinking and swishing flies with her tail....I was impressed. I made up my mind that I could shorten the mane and trim the fetlocks and gee she must be at least 15 hh..I was doubtful of that....she had no idea of what contact was, had hardly ever cantered but picked one lead up quickly when asked, and went a couple strides, steering was lacking.....but I was about to say"I'll take her" when my niece spoke up and said" give yourself 24 hours" then decide.
I came home and immediately talked myself out of it. I looked at the pics that my niece had taken of me on her at the owner's farm. I could not see myself riding a short fat hairy pony...it wasn't me ..I like leggy horses with no feathers and pulled manes! So I told the nieces it was a no go...and then...they started harassing me...I got the message "go get the pony" over and over on my messenger! That was from the niece that went looking with me...the other has a trailer and kept saying...I"I can pick her up for you" ...Oh dear...I made every excuse I could think of to not get the mare...then I caved and made the appropriate calls...and 4 days later she was unloading in my barnyard!
She was nervous but quiet, we groomed her, measured her 14.21/2 hh , weighed her..1217 pounds !! ..Yikes washed her tail..it was icky...turned her out and I said I would not ride till Sunday at least..it was Tuesday. Well Wednesday came and I decided to get on....oh oh....I was scared silly...remember I am old, have not ridden in 11 months, and have ridden the same mare for 20 years....new mare would not stand to be mounted, walked off when I'm halfway on, head up in the air like a giraffe and all eyeballs and ears..walked on then stopped and backed up, twisted her neck....fortunately she has a very good Whoa, so after a few minutes of trying to settler...when I really was not settling myself, I halted and hopped off....very very disappointed ...disappointed that this was not the horse that I wanted..I wanted a packer..disappointed that I was stupid enough to make a ad decision....disappointed that I was going to have to send her back .......................

Kelo
Herd Member

Re: The beginning of a new equine adventure !

Postby Kelo » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:17 pm

Oooh this sounds like it's going to be a good story.

Possibly one that needs PHOTOS ;-)

Incidentally, I love little horses/ponies. My Cowpony is 15hh and that's more than plenty big for me! I'm all about the little sports cars, more than the ponderous luxury liners.

Backyarder3
Novice

Postby Backyarder3 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:27 pm

I notified all concerned..not the owner...that I could not deal with a horse this green, and all the sensible people...who got much of their horse sense from me(where did mine go?) told me to give her a chance..to leave her alone for a few days..she had rarely been off the property in her lifetime of foal production. My niece told me she's come on the weekend and help me and that I would RIDE the PONY.....and she did and I rode and it was all good! No steering at that point but the mare was attentive and willing.
I played with her myself for a week and then found an awesome young woman with young/green horse experience to come out and instruct me. She loved the mare at first sight . Our first lesson was a wiggly mess,We could not do a 20 meter circle, nor could we ride around the entire outside track...we just went here and there but before we were finished a 40 minute lesson we had glimpses of contact, and the start of a open fluid trot instead of the jack hammer up and down gait I'd been getting. 4 lessons late she's brilliant...all forward and working, listening and learning...me also!
I am so glad she's with me..love her to bits.
Anyway I'd like to introduce my new partner Echo ! 12 year old 1/2 Canadian ,1/4 Morgan...a bit of Percheron and QH too.
Attachments
Echo two weeks 030a.jpg
Echo two weeks 030a.jpg (70.61 KiB) Viewed 27765 times
first lesson 004a.jpg
first lesson 004a.jpg (64.15 KiB) Viewed 27765 times
just Echo 003a.jpg
just Echo 003a.jpg (54.48 KiB) Viewed 27765 times

Backyarder3
Novice

Postby Backyarder3 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:31 pm

lesson two.
Attachments
Echo and Greg 020a.jpg
Echo and Greg 020a.jpg (66.82 KiB) Viewed 27765 times
Lesson #2 009a.jpg
Lesson #2 009a.jpg (73.69 KiB) Viewed 27765 times
Lesson #2 019a.jpg
Lesson #2 019a.jpg (75.2 KiB) Viewed 27765 times

Backyarder3
Novice

Postby Backyarder3 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:33 pm

4th lesson in the rain. There is lots and lots to work on, old habits to break, new ones to form, fitness to build...but this horse is making me so happy. She is spooky but easily persuaded and not without silliness..monsters in the corner of the ring every ride..but nothing is a big issue... very very willing mare...
Attachments
echoshm,lesson4.jpg
echoshm,lesson4.jpg (89.59 KiB) Viewed 27765 times
Echo SM Lesson  4.jpg
Echo SM Lesson 4.jpg (102.99 KiB) Viewed 27765 times
Echo and Greg 019a.jpg
Echo and Greg 019a.jpg (66.1 KiB) Viewed 27765 times

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:41 pm

OMG ANOTHER CANADIAN HORSE OWNER!!!!! (I have 3 so yeah, love them!) And a bay one as well!

Congrats on your new partner in crime! Hope you have many lovely adventures!

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:45 pm

She is adorable and pretty at the same time! Usually it's one or the other. Congrats on your new adventure and looking forward to hearing about it as you progress.

StraightForward
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby StraightForward » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:55 pm

I love her - so glad you decided to keep her. And she's a great size for you. Congratulations!
Keep calm and canter on.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:41 pm

You know you can clip the feathers, pull the mane, and bang the tail. She turn into a fantastic mount when she gets regular, steady work with her own person (YOU!). The important lesson is that she makes you happy.

angela9823
Herd Member

Postby angela9823 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:53 pm

She is lovely to look at! And the size does look great with you.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:03 pm

She's lovely....

After reading your first post - I thought OMG this poor woman...all she wanted was a nice horse to ride. I was sad for you...Feeling let down after deciding to buy her is a horrible feeling...

Then I read further and I'm SOOOO happy for you....actually, so happy for both of you!

Please keep posting on your progress together.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:31 pm

I think you look perfect together. Look forward to hearing more about your progress

Mareless
Herd Member

Postby Mareless » Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:09 pm

Looks like a match made in heaven. She is adorable, and I bet you are going to have a lot of fun on your journey together.

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:17 pm

I love reading stories like this. :D

jeniferkey
Greenie

Postby jeniferkey » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:08 pm

You sound perfect for each other! I'm borrowing a stocky 11 yr old 15 hh ish Morgan cross gelding and it is so nice to just have fun.

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:12 pm

That is a seriously cute pony! I'm so jealous. She's exactly what I want (except for being a mare), and exactly what I'm not finding or being offered. I've always had TBs so that's what everyone knows of me and what everyone wants me to get again. I still have a TB, but I want nice pony that's not so far from the ground! lol

congrats!!

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:53 pm

I love her!!! And you guys look perfect for each other. I am so glad you gave her a chance. Can't wait to hear more about your journey. :)

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:22 pm

This gives me hope that someday I might get another horse!

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:43 pm

You two look great together. Enjoy your new adventure!

Backyarder3
Novice

Postby Backyarder3 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:01 pm

I'm sure there will be "moments" ..you know the ones that test you..but I am determined to make it work ! Thanks for all your kind words and support....updates will come!

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:06 am

She is spectacular. :D :D :D :D
And you make a lovely pair. Can't wait for all the updates!

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:37 am

Oooohhhh. Nice!

quinta
Herd Member

Postby quinta » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:43 pm

I love her! Thanks for sharing your story, and I look forward to updates.

BTW, if anyone else has one of these standing around that needs a job, let me know... :)

exvet

Postby exvet » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:14 pm

What's not to love? And clip what?!?! She is full-bodied with curves and hair to match.............perfect as is.............OP she appears to wear you well, good luck and WELCOME TO THE OTHER SIDE................. LOL..............You have a bonafide North American Cob

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:21 pm

exvet wrote:And clip what?!?! She is full-bodied with curves and hair to match

Exactly - to clip a Canadian!! Noooooooo!!! ;)

Backyarder3
Novice

Postby Backyarder3 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:05 am

Since that mane is untouched....it will remain long...I have braiding elastics in every pocket....I braid for every ride to keep it out of my way....I was going to clip her fetlocks but she has huge ergots,which would look weird sticking out naked..lol !
She showed me some buck yesterday! So a new chapter begins!

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Postby boots-aregard » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:09 am

I am so JEALOUS JEALOUS JEALOUS. She's gorgeous and you are lucky to have insistent nieces.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:38 am

Backyarder3 wrote:I was going to clip her fetlocks but she has huge ergots!

I cut chestnuts and ergots off when they get too long, because I don't want them to get caught on something and tear off.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:05 pm

I've always left my manes long to help with flies - mine are out 24/7 - and also would keep a couple bands near my bridles. Just before mounting I'd braid up the section near my hands to keep the mane out of the reins. She's gorgeous and you both look great!

Backyarder3
Novice

Postby Backyarder3 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:25 pm

I had my farrier cut off her chestnuts..those things were gynormous....but I had not noticed the ergots when he was here..and I've never had a horse with ergots that big, not even my old draft/appy cross....I never had to deal with them ...I guess there is always something to learn ...I did some reading online after I posted and I see that they can be trimmed safely so I will be doing that.
I had an awesome lesson today...asked for canter, got some buck, asked for canter, got some buck, asked for canter got a lovely canter , again and again...each time it was better, each time she knew more of what I wanted..so happy..and relieved that I did not come off..glad I had someone on the ground to keep me going. That was 1/2 hour ago so I am sitting her on a horsey "high". :)

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:38 pm

I come from an Arabian youth, where manes and tails were sacred. Many a time i had a problem with either my fingers or the reins catching in the manes. I was quite happy when i took over my own horses, to keep manes trimmed, legs trimmed and tails squared, above the fetlocks. Even the Gypsy Cob gets his legs clipped. we have lots of burweed and such and he prefers not walking around with burrs clogging up his heels.

anyway. a friend lost her horse when it got its hoof caught in her braided mane, and I have seen a video of a pony with her foot caught in her mane and the tide coming in, being rescued. So that has confirmed my preference for keeping manes short.

I am, however, not critical of others preferences. Just mentioning my own.

khall

Postby khall » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:51 pm

Chisamba, I felt the same way until my Lusitano filly!! I just knew I would keep her mane short and buck the baroque tradition. Until she got here, now I could not shorten this mane, ever! I do not keep it braided up though. I just use tons of show sheen.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

Backyarder, how fun! You are a good pair there. I am so used the full bodied type, don't know what I would do if I had to ride a "normal" horse! Echo looks much bigger than 14.2.

TeresaA
Herd Member

Postby TeresaA » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:51 pm

Echo takes up your leg quite well and you look good on her. I'm so happy that you have a riding horse!

Josette

Postby Josette » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:17 pm

BY3 - this girl is a winner IMO and I'm so happy you gave her another chance. She sounds like a sensible sane mare who only needs some US mileage to become an awesome partner for you. Enjoy your journey together!! BTW - I ride a 14.2 Connemara gelding and being a petite rider we make a perfect partnership. It took some time to gain his trust but he is my best riding buddy now. :)
Last edited by Josette on Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:51 pm

:) I am so happy for you

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:48 pm

She is gorgeous. And you two look wonderful together. Congratulations!!

Backyarder3
Novice

Postby Backyarder3 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:30 pm

Things are going very well , a little schooling, a little hacking, a few lessons...my instructor even thinks we are show material...likely walk/trot ...but hey it's a start! Here's a picture taken this morning of Echo digging her hay out of the snow.

the hay I threw out last evening and how Echo handled the situation.
Attachments
horses and first snow Dec 2016 025a.jpg
horses and first snow Dec 2016 025a.jpg (52.76 KiB) Viewed 27163 times
horses and first snow Dec 2016 011a.jpg
horses and first snow Dec 2016 011a.jpg (45.95 KiB) Viewed 27163 times

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:49 pm

Thanks for the update. She's adorable, and it's nice to hear things are progressing well.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:02 am

Glad to see on update on Echo! She really is both cute and beautiful.

One of the best horses I've ever known was a little Morgan gelding named Echo. He lived into his mid-30s and taught many, many people many many things (including galloping slowly for me when I was learning to ride "faster").

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:42 am

dislike the white stuff, love how clever she was at clearing her hay

carpevita
Herd Member

Postby carpevita » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:29 pm

I've got a Canadian Arab cross--they are incredible! Happy New Pony!!

Backyarder3
Novice

Postby Backyarder3 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:57 pm

carpevita, have you posted pictures of your horse? Sounds like a nice cross...this gal has made me very happy since she's been here.

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:08 pm

carpevita wrote:I've got a Canadian Arab cross--they are incredible! Happy New Pony!!

Whaaaaat??!!! We need pictures!!!

A friend of mine, who is also a Canadian Horse Breeder, has a little Cdn/Arab mare and she is a real doll.

Baroque
Herd Member

Postby Baroque » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:53 pm

Lovely looking mare! Congratulations!

LeoApp
Herd Member

Postby LeoApp » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:55 pm

Congrats and enjoy her! She looks like a good, sturdy horse that will become a wonderful partner for you.

Snork
Herd Member

Postby Snork » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:10 pm

Squeee! She is so unbelievably cute. Love short fat hairy mares!

westisbest
Herd Member

Postby westisbest » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:41 pm

Just read this thread and wow, big yes on the total cuteness and really nice confirmation of Echo. You look really good on her. what's this "old" stuff lol, I'm closing in on 69, you look pretty young to me :)

westisbest
Herd Member

Postby westisbest » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:42 pm

Just read this thread and wow, big yes on the total cuteness and really nice confirmation of Echo. You look really good on her. what's this "old" stuff lol, I'm closing in on 69, you look pretty young to me :)

Backyarder3
Novice

Postby Backyarder3 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:27 pm

Thanks for the compliment re my youthful appearance westisbest!!! I'm not far behind you!
I rode twice a week in Jan but only once in Feb and not since, so I decided to start the season with lunging and to work on the canter.i had tried to get her to canter on the lunge last fall but she was panicked and was not getting it...She just trotted faster and faster and looked for ways to run away. My first lunge this spring was on a day when she was super charged, full of gusto ! So she cantered on her own once and got praised, then Everytime I thought she'd break into canter I gave the aid...She responded! The next day she was a bit more laid back and did not offer the canter so I asked for it and got mega trots..Fast and animated....We got it a couple times but it was sloppy....I could tell that she was responding to the aid...Her ears were alive ,listening when I kissed....She was just not sure what exactly I wanted...Then a day off...And today was great....I tried to reinforce ,calm, quiet,praise,rest,steady trot before the canter transition...And she finally got it....Now I feel we have progress and just need to confirm and refine....Hoping this will help canter under saddle. She is very unbalanced and very strong...Gives me a workout !

TeresaA
Herd Member

Postby TeresaA » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:55 pm

You should bring her to my place for a weekend of fun! We could get Shanea over to teach us.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”