Goals and progress, October and November

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
khall
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Goals and progress, October and November

Postby khall » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:06 pm

Well shit, what a way to end my weekend. Went to the schooling show yesterday with my big guy and a friend, we were both happy how they handled the atmosphere and how well they traveled together. (this is my friend's new TB I helped her find) but had gotten a call late morning from my farm sitter that my mare Anna was NQR. No temp, not really eating but not really painful. 1/2 dose of banamine and watch her. Kept in touch in-between riding (hot as hell BTW) and decided to call vet out. Small colon impaction, HR 44 felt pretty comfortable we would be able to resolve this medically. We headed back home, Anna still NQR but again not horrible, back in touch with vet, wait and see. Never even made it to the house to change or get a shower, Anna was still not right so had the vet back out. I let my vet know at that time while I would do whatever we could do medically on the farm, I would not ship her of do surgery. Anna had other physical issues (HSer, arthritis) that I did not feel it was in her best interest to go to surgery. Anna stayed pretty comfortable overnight with IV fluids and drugs until this morning. She never passed anymore manure from the last vet visit and was getting more painful even blowing through the drugs that I had. So called my vet again this morning pretty much knowing that I needed to put Anna down. She was getting more painful as time went on. Vet came back, HR 140, though gums were still good. Thankfully though my vet totally understood my stand on no surgery and she euthanized Anna this morning. I could not let her suffer anymore. I bred and raised Anna, a Han/TB mare. She was a total sweetheart and dam of my Luso filly. RIP good girl Anna.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:45 pm

Oh Kall, that sucks. I am so sorry. not the post I was expecting here :(

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:51 pm

So sorry Khall. How sad. Colic like that is so devastating.

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:56 pm

I am so sorry khall. That totally blows. You did not need that. :(. Hugs to you.

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:09 pm

So heartbreaking to read this. Hugs

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:04 pm

My condolences khall. It is the worst part of ownership. FWIW you made the right choice, no doubt.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:05 pm

I feel really guilty following up such sad news with a lighthearted post; but, I am hoping that between khall's terrible loss and the pictures here, we all go out and hug our ponies and be grateful for the fun, laughter, and good feelings they do afford us. My daughter talked me into going with her to a hunter pace this morning. It's becoming a bit of a Halloween tradition. I told her that as long as she took care of the costumes I'd haul us out there. Here is her pimp and his harem. I wore a 'skirt' and my stinker pony wore his big ol' bow. Can you believe that studly jumped with those leggings and cape? :shock:

Also rode the mustang today. He was a very good boy too......

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:14 pm

Thank you Exvet. yes, hug your ponies.

Your daughter and her pony look extravagantly costumed. I bet he looked very fine jumping!
Mr studly's bow is quite discreet by comparison.

demi

Postby demi » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:22 pm

I read Khall's post early this morning and I admit to tearing up. And I don't cry easily. So sorry Khall. I'm glad you have Annie's offspring to keep her close.

demi

Postby demi » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:24 pm

However, life goes on, and seeing that cute stud muffin in his pimp suit, gave me a laugh. We cry and then we laugh.

khall

Postby khall » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:54 pm

Thanks exvet, it helps that you agree with my decision. Hard as it was.

Yes life does go on and I love your stud muffin pics!! He is a handsome dude and amazing he will wear such a get up!

Thanks all, we all know that with all the highs we can have horses can also bring us heart break in so many ways. Been a sad day here but I still have horses to care for and family and friends to support and give me love in my grief.

Definitely go hug your horses tonight, give them a cookie from me please.

Flight

Postby Flight » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:26 pm

It is hard to continue on after a khall's sad post. I admit to having a little tear as well. My friend recently lost her horse to colic and we all loved that horse too. You do have to really embrace the good times in life, because it can all change so quickly. Hugs to you khall.

Ryeissa I had a saddlefit done for my young horse too, and he's gone up a size and needed adjustment at the back. It made a big difference to how I was riding. I was in such a chair seat before it. He also needs a custom made jumping saddle which is unfortunate for my bank balance.

Exvet, cool photos! That would have been impressive watching them jump with those furry leg things!!

I had a dressage comp and we ended up with elementary champion. Which was a big surprise because there was a few professionals and really nice horses in my class. My marks weren't fantastic and there were some worrying comments which I will have to sort out. For example, 'too much neck bend' for my shoulder in, and incorrect bend for my travers! I really thought I am past those errors now, but I'll try and have another lesson this week and work on it with my instructor.
I also over ride in competitions. I always feel that my horse is slow and behind my leg so I feel I have to work really hard to keep him going. In my first test, I got the comment "stop rushing him" which was great to hear because it didn't feel like he was rushing, I was expecting the opposite comment. So, I need to really just calm down and allow it to feel slow. I'm annoyed that I can't seem to fix this.

Anyway here's some pics. I must find a helmet to match my jacket!!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:18 pm

Lovely photos and update Flight.

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:35 am

Agreed Flight, lovely!

Meanwhile, we had a bit of fun - I really do own a unicorn! :lol: :lol:
Poor buddy.

Mirocorn.jpg
Mirocorn.jpg (73.04 KiB) Viewed 23343 times

Brydie
Herd Member

Postby Brydie » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:59 am

Gratz Flight!!! I have the opposite problem. I'm just a passenger! Watch the video and I'm like "I love my horse he just does what he's told lol", would be so much better if I actually rode him! I just tell him where to go and what gait to be in haha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bUl30aLbKc Video of our 1.3 yesterday. Pulled out of the 2.1 because I was like I can't ride a Novice when I can't even ride a Prelim! Though the highlight was our canter to trot transition at X... a 7.5 with the comment "straight, well prepared trot trans". Usually we get comments such as "fell to trot". I'm guessing because this transition as at a marker and not between I prepared him a lot better.

Video of the start end of our derby course the other week https://www.facebook.com/bridget.martin ... 886797084/

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:19 pm

Brydie, i only watched a little ( only because i was in a time crunch) and i thought he looked more active and more engaged then the last video i watched of you two. ( in the dressage)

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:52 pm

So, Laddie and I did our very first (asked for) flying change on Saturday (slipped it in all casual-like...) and it was clean and there was no fuss. So we didn't do it again!

We are basically inside now for the next 5 months, which is a fairly horrifying thought. Farrier was supposed to come this morning to pull shoes and trim, but he has the stomach flu, (as does just about everyone else I know, so I guess my time will come...) A bit problematic as everyone is way overdue as it was hunting season. So, limited riding until he's been.

Brydie, he's a good boy! :) My comment would be that he is tuning out your leg. You might want to occasionally use that whip you are carrying--just a tickle, not a beating. My appaloosa, who is closely related to a rhinoceros in the sensitivity stakes, does this to me given half the chance, and I slip back into the kicking every stride thing--which he of course totally ignores. We have to focus on "Yes, ma'am!" for each ask, and me keeping my legs still in between asks. (I've got better at the keeping the legs still thing since riding Laddie, because I'd be in the next county if I didn't.)

demi

Postby demi » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:46 pm

Today was a "carry the whip" day and Emma was good. I got thirty minutes in and even did some trotting. It was fairly collected work and it felt very nice. At first, I couldn't get more than a 20m circle at trot before she got tense and against the bit. My response was to talk to her and bring her back to a walk with my seat, then releas the rein contact just to the point that she wasn't against it. After 3 or 4 times of this, she gave me a nice collected trot for several 20 m circles on a lovely contact. I was able to go through the first phase of George Williams kindergarten exercises. I was very happy and I let Emma know. She was very content when I walked her back to the barn. She walked like a confident, happy horse. Don't ask me how i know. I just know.

Emma didnt respond to my voice when I first got her and it has taken the full year to get her to soften to my voice. It is a good tool now. I look forward to what the next year will bring...One year at a time! My new motto.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:23 am

Yesterday's lesson rocked. Ariel is slowly giving up her school horse ways, and I'm discovering that she knows more about the leg than I thought. I cantered without grinding my mind, and we trotted over sets of poles. I remained soft and relaxed yet firm, and trotting by the mirrors I thought "damn, I look good!" We sticked her later. She is 15.2, the perfect height for me.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:40 am

demi wrote:Today was a "carry the whip" day and Emma was good. I got thirty minutes in and even did some trotting. It was fairly collected work and it felt very nice. At first, I couldn't get more than a 20m circle at trot before she got tense and against the bit. My response was to talk to her and bring her back to a walk with my seat, then releas the rein contact just to the point that she wasn't against it. After 3 or 4 times of this, she gave me a nice collected trot for several 20 m circles on a lovely contact. I was able to go through the first phase of George Williams kindergarten exercises. I was very happy and I let Emma know. She was very content when I walked her back to the barn. She walked like a confident, happy horse. Don't ask me how i know. I just know.

Emma didnt respond to my voice when I first got her and it has taken the full year to get her to soften to my voice. It is a good tool now. I look forward to what the next year will bring...One year at a time! My new motto.

Excellent. When I finally started carrying the whip on one of mine he had already calmed down considerably, which is probably why I thought it was time, so it didn't take very long for him to calm down about the whip. Sounds like Emma's the same.

quinta
Herd Member

Postby quinta » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:12 pm

I love the costume on studly, exvet! What a good boy he is.

Congrats on the change, Mountaineer!

We had a fantastic lesson on Saturday. Lots of leg yield to canter to really get the shoulder before the transition. Next time, we are going to do a longe lesson with Autumn so that I can work on my canter seat. Then, on Sunday we escaped the arena for a XC schooling session in the back field. She is getting so much better at waiting for the fences and not rushing before / after. Did logs, coops, stairs, ditch, and banks. Yay, pony.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:09 am

Awful night tonight. I went out to watch Pickle work after not seeing her go for a week. They said she did great on Monday and Tuesday. She's been having some trouble with right lead, but today, she was picking up the right lead going left, so it seemed like she was starting to even out. Also starting to accept a bit of contact here and there.

I'll preface the rest of the story by describing our arena. For some reason, on the house side the fence was built with a telephone pole *inside* the arena with just enough space to ride a broke horse down the fence. Also, the fence on that side is an old buck and pole style thing, so it is short and has posts sticking out every 8' or so. Then the regular fence jogs in about 15' in one corner, so there's an inside corner to negotiate. The trainer narrowly missed getting his leg slammed into the telephone pole on one canter. She was getting pretty darn elevated in front trying to get the right lead, and I was biting my tongue trying not to tell him to just bring her back down and get her settled. He's the pro, right, and if he feels comfortable with her antics, I should let him. He got one good circle to the right, and again I bit my tongue and didn't tell him to call it good. A minute later, I she fell out of canter and he asked again right by that inside corner, and she got his leg into the fence, and she got upset when he pulled her out and started bucking. Then his ^%$*# saddle slipped and he came off, but didn't keep hold of her, so she's loose, running hell for leather around the arena. She nearly thought about jumping out at the far end, then slammed into the top rail and broke it with her shoulders, ran down to the corner by the in gate, and I thought she would stop, but she slammed even harder into that fence, which has a manure pile on the other side of it. She got her legs over at one point, then came back into the arena, ran into another corner and tried to go through a person-sized hole in the fence. At that point we caught her and got the saddle off, thank God. She sliced her fetlock on the sheet metal that covers the top railing by the manure pile. Luckily the trainer had his truck (they just purchased a small car today, and just by chance took the truck), so we scrounged up a hitch, got her in my trailer and to the vet. Luckily the 24/7 equine hospital is less than 3 miles from the barn. She had about a 4", very clean laceration in a U shape on her right front fetlock, and it looks like it's limited to just the skin. Many stitches, some Banamine, SMZs and stall rest orders, and she's home.

So frustrating. I'm not sure where I'm going to go from here. I like this trainer, but I just don't know if his lack of experience with warmbloods is a fatal flaw at this point. The trainer who was supposed to take her this winter has been providing him some guidance, and when she was out last week she told him to do way more repetition and to basically "be boring" with her training, but I don't think it sunk in. Now she's had riders off three times, and I don't think she was going for that each time, but it's not good.

On the other hand, this wreck could have been SO MUCH worse, so I'm trying to look on the bright side, and focus on getting her healed up as well as possible.
Keep calm and canter on.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:49 am

Holy Heck, SF... She's going to be one sore puppy when everything wears off. Glad it wasn't worse. But yes, that's a troubling training fail, dammit.

I've always had my suspicions that buck fence could be dangerous. It's the fancier fencing of choice around here because the ground is so rocky. It looks pretty, but that's an awful lot of stuff to catch legs up in.

Have a stiff drink.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:21 am

I am sorry for your situation, Straightforward. It is actually easy to second guess a trainer in hindsight of a negative. Trainers second guess themselves under those circumstances. However, remove the crisis when you make your judgement of her trainer. Judge the crisis as an individual event.

Now , as to Pickle, i hope she heals well physically, but the crisis will have had an long term marker on her, training wise, and will have to be dealt with as such. As soon as she is walk able, i would put the saddle on her and hand walk her in the area that the crisis happened, bore her in it, as you said. nothing else
hand walk in saddle. as soon as she is allowed to hand walk.

that would be my approach, you of course can take all things into consideration and try make your decision, you know the horse, and circumstances. I am sure others have good bits of advice to give too. Perhaps there is value in that nothing good came of the rider falling off. I the horse gets the rider off and then feels rewarded, that is a problem, but she got the rider off and was still upset, i assume the slipped saddle was unsettling, so perhaps she did not find a lollipop in getting the rider off. ( looking for the sliver lining)

horses teach us stuff all the time, and what we learn from the worst times helps us avoid them

khall

Postby khall » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:51 pm

Dang SF that just sucks. I agree with Chisamba, get Pickles out there asap. I hope she heals well.

Flight fab photos! and congratulations.

With all that went on with my mare Anna, I never said how the big guy did at the schooling show. My friend and I got both our horses out Friday and they both were great. Very relaxed and listening. My friend had hurt her back and was feeling it so she just walked, but man is her new horse a gem! Such a great mind and a good mover. My guy showed what I hoped, I was pleased. The day of the competition I worked him in hand just a bit and then got on. He was a bit full of himself and I had to ride carefully at first. Once he settled he started getting tired. It was hot, almost 90 and the show went from we are running early come down and ride when you can, to we are going in order, oh BTW can this rider go ahead of you? I said no. We did our first test and he was settled for the most part, a bit looky at the judges end. Photographer was hiding in the shade and spooked him a bit when she stepped out before the test. While I was pleased with Rip, we have some work to do. Not showing regularly does hurt! Rip just did not have the umph that he did on Friday. I do believe the heat was impacting him pretty hard. He was sweating from one end to the other. I ended up scratching the last test, it was just too hot and Rip was tired. So not sure if we need to do some fitness work now that we are starting to cool off. 70's this weekend, yeah! Or just keep on with regular work. That dang black sticky footing was ok to ride in but it leaves an nasty residue that most people were washing off after their rides.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:17 pm

I especially hate being in that situation when it's my horse and I can see things unraveling and don't feel free to say anything.

If it's not my horse I know it's none of my business and can only watch, but when I've seen the same thing happen before so can see where it may be headed, and would like the trainer to back off just in case it really is headed there, I find it especially frustrating.

With my perfect 20/20 hindsight, maybe a strategy for any future training issues might be to just walk out to ask a question, which would interrupt what was going on and give the horse a break without having to actually question what the trainer was doing?
Last edited by kande50 on Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:32 pm

SF, so sorry about your Pickle problems. When Tio acts up, I am tempted to send him to someone who will just "cowboy through", but then I read/hear stories like yours and chicken out. Lol I am sure you and Pickle will survive this latest setback and one day you'll be writing about how awesome she was at the IDF. Hugs in the meantime.

To all else, I love your updates and hope to get on my own horses soon. :oops:

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:45 pm

Chisamba wrote:I am sorry for your situation, Straightforward. It is actually easy to second guess a trainer in hindsight of a negative. Trainers second guess themselves under those circumstances. However, remove the crisis when you make your judgement of her trainer. Judge the crisis as an individual event.

Now , as to Pickle, i hope she heals well physically, but the crisis will have had an long term marker on her, training wise, and will have to be dealt with as such. As soon as she is walk able, i would put the saddle on her and hand walk her in the area that the crisis happened, bore her in it, as you said. nothing else
hand walk in saddle. as soon as she is allowed to hand walk.

that would be my approach, you of course can take all things into consideration and try make your decision, you know the horse, and circumstances. I am sure others have good bits of advice to give too. Perhaps there is value in that nothing good came of the rider falling off. I the horse gets the rider off and then feels rewarded, that is a problem, but she got the rider off and was still upset, i assume the slipped saddle was unsettling, so perhaps she did not find a lollipop in getting the rider off. ( looking for the sliver lining)

horses teach us stuff all the time, and what we learn from the worst times helps us avoid them

Thanks Chisamba. It is a silver lining that she got relief from the monster (saddle) clinging to her belly when she stopped and let us approach her, not when she was tearing around crashing into things. And truly, she could have gotten off the property, or sliced her tendon, or other much worse things. The vet did a really nice job on the stitches, so if we can get them to hold, I think scarring will be minimal and she won't have reduced range of motion, so fingers crossed there.

If the other trainer can't take her this winter, she will probably just sit all winter, with ground work as I'm able. After that, IDK. I do know I'll have to move her to a place with a safer arena. At some point I do have to judge the trainer in the sense of whether I want him to continue working with my horse or not. I think what he was doing would have been the right thing for the QH's he usually works with, but was not the right thing for her, but while he's adjusted his training methods, it wasn't enough, and I can't let my horse be the guinea pig.

Sue, I know what you mean. I think with a better arena and without the saddle slippage issue, things would have been OK, but it's a risk any way you slice it.
Keep calm and canter on.

Josette

Postby Josette » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:15 pm

I'm so sorry this happened. I agree with you that this is not the right situation for your mare. This trainer is out of his element through no fault on his part but your horse cannot be a guinea pig as you described. Safety is first priority for all concerned - let her heal and slowly restart in the future from the beginning to rebuild trust and positive experiences. Your girl cannot afford any more mental or physical setbacks. Wishing her a speedy recovery.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:33 pm

SF....well crap. I would say either his saddle doesn't come close to fitting her or he doesn't girth it tight enough? Isn't this the second time he's had a saddle fail? I think that would be my last straw. No good reason for that to happen twice.

Jingles that she heals up well. Those train wrecks are horrible and I'm glad it wasn't worse. That arena is unique to say the least.

Kyra is available for your lesson on the 11 th...no problem.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:00 am

So I went out and saw my girl after work today and took the bandage off. Luckily she was able to be moved to a fully matted stall with a run that stays drier than her regular pen. She was fairly sore, but it seemed to be more in her shoulder, and not due to lameness in the leg. I showed her the places in the arena where she slammed into the fence, and she looked at them and seemed to be processing things, but didn't get visibly upset. Tomorrow she is getting body work. The leg was a little puffy, but the stitches looked good when I removed her bandage.

It turns out she actually split the railroad tie fencepost :shock: rather than the fence rail, as I'd thought. It was rotten, but still. And for a dose of irony, she must have sliced her leg on the Ride at Your Own Risk sign, though I couldn't find blood anywhere. There were no loose edges on the metal covering the top fence railing.

Keep calm and canter on.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:23 pm

Speedy recovery jingles to Pickles SF. I'm glad you can lead her around the arena without drama; that's a good sign. I know of a lady in Jerome who might be able to help you; pm me if you want more info. I know it's kinda far away from you but she breaks in a fair number of warmbloods for several Boise trainer types I think and I personally know 3 diff dressage horses she re-started locally. Her arenas are safe too! I have been thinking about sending Tio there because she'll ride him out on the desert too.

Anyways, I got to ride last night! This time, I did ground work with Tio BEFORE getting on so that I could remind him of his responsibilities. ;) He was pretty good, only balked twice early on, and even managed to do some shoulder fore on the 20m circle at the trot. No bucking or other obnoxious behavior even when the neighbor's horses came galloping up the hill to see what we were up to. So I guess I have a new plan for training Tio for now.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:42 pm

Thanks Sue. I am still puzzling over what to do. She got bodywork on Friday night and did have some sore places, but the body worker said she was in surprisingly good shape considering all she'd been through. Yesterday I put some Palo Santo oil on her sorest spots and she immediately started yawning all over the place. Her stitches are holding and everything is looking great, so fingers crossed that she'll have minimal scarring. She is following me around like a puppy dog and was totally non-reactive to playing with a yoga ball out in the arena, so it doesn't seem like she's taken on any generalized fear or anxiety from this.

I might just start riding her at a walk in the round pen until the weather turns. She had been fine walking and trotting for about ten rides, and even cantering she wasn't being naughty, just a lot of horse. I'll be out of state for work for two months and after this, I don't think my nerves can take having her with a trainer while I'm on the other side of the country, but it would be good to have something lined up for when I return in March.
Keep calm and canter on.

Flight

Postby Flight » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:32 pm

Straightforward, that is scary stuff. I would go back to the start with your horse and make sure all the little anxiety's are gone before moving on to the next steps. I had a fall off my big young horse early on, and it made me realise that there were still issues that needed fixing before I was even in the saddle. It's hard when you're trusting a trainer to get it right though.

I had my last dressage comp for a while. Took the big young horse on the Sat. He was really good, and it was so windy. It was sunny and warm but the wind made it so unpleasant to be out. He stayed calm for his first test and came second (1.1 Prelim/Training). Unfortunately for his second test, it was in the 'scary' arena that's right near the road, bushes and bike path. He was great right up until we were about to go in, then he got a fright and did a massive spook and then wanted to keep looking in the bushes and freaking out. I managed to keep it together by the skin of my teeth, but as our first go at the next level up, I was disappointed! But that's horses, right! I'm sure he'll be ok next time.

My little horse was lame a few days out from his comp on sunday, but he was ok for the day. Came second in both his tests (3.2, 3.3 elem/2nd level). I tried to be calmer and ride quieter but didn't do it well in the first test. I had it videoed so I could see that! For the second test I just let him be and we got a better score and it was a much more pleasant ride. Funny that.
We both need a grazing muzzle though!
I've also started riding in a double and he's been fine in it. I have to be much more careful with my hands, and basically do nothing!

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:34 pm

Yesterday, we traveled 2 hours to the show hosted by the PVDA at the Prince George's Equestrian Center. 3 horses made the trip: Gala, the veteran, Audaz, another veteran who belongs to my coach's barn manager, and Miro, the baby. No one made a peep all day, except for Miro, who was thoroughly bored and amused himself by blowing raspberries while he ate. So thankful for chill babysitters on the trailer, as we were there ALL day.

Gala and I were up first and I was a nervous wreck, but the day was destined to be magical. We did 3:2 first, for a score of 63%, first place, and my bronze medal!!! Next up, I cantered down centerline for the first time ever and I had tears in my eyes - we scored a 66% in my first ever test at 4th level (an 8 on the 3 changes across the diagonal!!!), and then put an exclamation point on the bronze by riding 3:1. Gala had to take the time to tell me that she had several opinions about being back in the show ring after 5 years off of competition by exuberantly doing her single changes and trying to do tempis down centerline.

Next, we took Audaz and Miro for a walk while Gala settled in to hay and water for the rest of the day. Miro was so very chill - he walked around like he owned the place and greeted everyone with curious ears and an outstretched neck - you never know when treats may rain down upon you! :lol: I opted to longe to be safe, and he was a little tight - more a by product of body clipping him 2 days before (he feels like the velveteen rabbit btw). And then I got on and rode. He was solid - curious but listening, and more importantly, he let me ride him. The first class (First level test 2) was running behind by 20 minutes, and he didn't get bothered one bit by the wait. The class was also held under the pavilion, which was very spooky - and while the judge's booth had monsters in it, he grew up a lot in 5 minutes. We had lots of baby bobbles, but the feeling was great - and while we never got quite close to C and the booth, he never once over reacted or tuned me out. His ears were on me the whole time. This time, I had tears in my eyes in the final halt and salute - I can't explain, but I bet you all get it :) Then we had to hustle over to the big outdoor ring to do First level test 1 - he was a bit more blown away in that ring - mostly because of crazy shadows, but again, no over reactions and he rode very, very well. We packed up and loaded horses while my coach waited for scores. I was shocked when I got them back. 66+ in First level test 2, and a 63 in First level test 1 and a lovely third and 4th place ribbon against some former psg horses and some been there, done that horses!!! The goal was to make sure that he had a good day, and that we had a safe ride and hopefully stay in the ring - getting close to the judges booth was optional :lol: and he exceeded EVERY expectation there was and made a lot of friends and fans who couldn't believe that A. this was his first show, B. that he is 3, and C that he's a PRE. My heart is bursting right now!
halt.jpg
halt.jpg (169.5 KiB) Viewed 22920 times

trot.jpg
trot.jpg (136.67 KiB) Viewed 22920 times

canter.jpg
canter.jpg (136.48 KiB) Viewed 22920 times

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:37 pm

2 more... AND... forgot to mention - first time out and he's qualified himself for CBLM's!
lengthenedCanter.jpg
lengthenedCanter.jpg (134.17 KiB) Viewed 22920 times

lengthenedtrot.jpg
lengthenedtrot.jpg (137.96 KiB) Viewed 22920 times

His first halt on centerline!
firstHalt.jpg
firstHalt.jpg (134.85 KiB) Viewed 22915 times

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:04 pm

Canter in the scary ring...
canterFirst2.jpg
canterFirst2.jpg (126.94 KiB) Viewed 22914 times

And Gala...
gala.jpg
gala.jpg (141.34 KiB) Viewed 22914 times

galaCanter.jpg
galaCanter.jpg (170.95 KiB) Viewed 22914 times

That's all - I promise I'm done taking over this thread :lol:

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:34 pm

Dresseur, how fabulous for you. Congratulations. I remember seeing Gala for sale some time ago. Apparently she did not sell. I wonder why. Her sales video was pretty darn awesome with all the changes.

There aren't many people that can take a 3 year old out at First Level recognized and do as well as you. Really super!

Also, your scores point to something interesting. Note that you did better at 4th than at 3rd. Regardless of the reason in your case, this thinking that if you aren't doing great at a certain level that if you drop down you will do better is not always true. It depends a lot of where your horses skill set is.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:00 pm

Congratulations on the successful outing, Dresseur! That's a lot of good news all packed in one post.

Moutaineer wrote:So, Laddie and I did our very first (asked for) flying change on Saturday (slipped it in all casual-like...) and it was clean and there was no fuss. So we didn't do it again!

How exciting! Good on you, Mountaineer. First one flying change, then FLYING CHANGES EVERYWHERE ALL THE TIME.

Straightforward and khall, condolences for your hard news.

In Kiwi news, things are tracking right along. I can sit the trot again without her getting upset. We have rediscovered both walk/canter and canter/walk transitions on both leads, although occasionally my walk/trot transitions disappear for a bit if I overschool the c/w/c. I have had a lot of success with keeping her on the aids with walk pirouette steps/trot in a straight line/walk pirouette steps again, changing the direction of the walk pirouette steps. She's getting back into 2ndish level shape.

Better still, I've had 4 straight days of loose-rein walking in the pastures without any jigging, even when there were tractors pushing over old burn piles and cows running madly around. My pony is back!

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:02 pm

Thanks MC! It helps that he has a super, super brain. Re Gala, Andrea pulled her because she was such a good school master. (Clearly... she took care of my butt in the ring lol). And yes, I thought it interesting that the 4:1 test was so much better. I'll say that it really, really flows well, and it played very well into her strengths. I had the same judge for 3:1 and 4:1, so I actually think that if I had ridden 3:1 first, under that judge, it would have scored higher - the judge scoring 3:2 was tough, but very fair. And, by the last test (3:1) she was done lol, and I did not ride nearly as well as I did in the first 2 tests.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:14 pm

Ponichiwa, congratulations on rediscovering your pony
Flight, your youngster has developed into quite the handsome fella. Congrats on a successful showing of both. Love the pictures.
Dressure, I totally understand the tears of joy, and feeling so humbled by what amazing partners we get to ride. Beautiful pictures, thanx for sharing them with us.
Moutaineer, I am jealous of your fc. :mrgreen:
SF, I think giving her time off while you are gone will be god for her and gives her time to grow both mentally and physically. Who knows, you may have a completely different horse come March. Meanwhile, chillaxin with her and furthering your bond sounds just right.

No time for me to ride again (busy all weekend AGAIN) so all I can do is ride vicariously through all of you. :D My friend did ask if she can take Tio to a jumping lesson sometime though--I hope she follows through because he really does enjoy that stuff.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:30 pm

We've had a "Meh" weekend. Pulled shoes for the winter on Friday, and while he's not off, he's not moving the way he usually does--yet, I hope. I think he's still figuring out the different balance and feel. He was barefoot when I first got him so this isn't his first go around.

It doesn't help that someone did something kinda stupid and frightening in the aisle on Saturday that caused him to set back and break the cross ties, and I think he's a bit torqued from that, too. I worry about his delicate neck.

To add to our general creakiness, I had a really close call on the freeway on Friday morning, which required me to take violent preventative action to avoid becoming a small car sandwich between two trucks, so my back isn't too happy.

So he had a pentosan shot and is on a few days of previcox, and I'm on the ibuprofen and diclofenac...

We had a nice quiet stretchy ride yesterday and we both felt better for it, so that will be the course of our week. Danged life.

Well done, Dresseur! And yes, MC, I think you are right about the horse's skill set--and I think that is relevant for tests within a level, too. Can we really expect the average horse to be good at everything? Any more than we can expect the average human to be?

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:45 pm

Moutaineer wrote:We've had a "Meh" weekend. Pulled shoes for the winter on Friday, and while he's not off, he's not moving the way he usually does--yet, I hope. I think he's still figuring out the different balance and feel. He was barefoot when I first got him so this isn't his first go around.
Do you pull shoes because of the ice in turnout or do you pull them just to get the hooves a break? I've never done it but I would think that surely a horse would show a difference right after pulling shoes.

It doesn't help that someone did something kinda stupid and frightening in the aisle on Saturday that caused him to set back and break the cross ties, and I think he's a bit torqued from that, too. I worry about his delicate neck.
Do you use a breakaway halter? Fortunately for me, I tack up in the wash stall that serves as a groom stall. Can't back up there. However, I did have a horse that started backing up with the farrier and breaking ties. I used a breakaway halter and also tied yarn on the rings so that it would break easier. He didn't fall did he?

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:07 pm

MC, I live in the land of ice an snow--it's pull shoes or do borium and pads. Apart from it being rather expensive and there being few farriers who really know how to do it properly, borium just takes all the natural "slip" out of their movement, so I thought I'd try this way, this year. If it doesn't settle down I can always change my mind.

He had a leather halter on--I never tie in anything else--the cross ties have a baling string link in them, which is what gave out. He's usually a reliable tie-er. But this was an exceptional circumstance which would have made me go backwards too! Sometimes intelligent people can be remarkably stupid. (Note, do not set your white saddle pads to dry over a chair in the sunshine at the end of the dark barn aisle on a windy day... When they blew off the chair down the barn aisle towards him, I think he thought the ghosties were coming to get him, poor boy.) He didn't sit down or fall. I think he will be fine, and he was happy in the cross ties yesterday.

My old man who died last year had discovered before I bought him that he could set back and break stuff. I had to use the wash stall or a place with a back on it for him if I ever cross tied him. (One of those things it would have been useful to know when I bought him, before he caused a wreck...) I taught him to ground tie, which worked under most circumstances, but freaks people out in boarding barns.

Flight

Postby Flight » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:58 pm

Dresseur love all the photos! Congrats on such a great weekend, very cool update :)

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:10 pm

I have been able to ride a couple times a week without irritating the butt (mine) too much. I have an appointment with a surgeon next month to see if removing my tailbone will be feasible and if it gives me a greater chance of someday being able to sit down (and ride, of course) somewhat more normally.

In the meantime...I keep on trucking. I was able to watch both of Straightforward's lessons last month with gave me some good feedback. I ride her a couple days a week and she rides a couple days then I do ground work for another 1-2 days if I can fit it in. Poor Kyra, sometimes our rides end up on the same day but I seldom ride more than 30 minutes and she usually has at least 3 hours between so she has handled it well. I tend to concentrate on walk and canter as even posting trot can be a bit uncomfortable. I do some but not my favorite gait at the moment :roll: .

I have been working on transitions both between and within gaits. The other day, just for kicks and giggles I did a warm up w/t/c on the buckle. She was very good at following my seat. We did circles and serpentines with only input from my seat. I don't often ride like that but like to test that I am not hand riding. For transitions, I have been working on really feeling the next gait while I am riding the current gait. Our transitions are getting much more crisp and prompt. I have also been working on getting more jump in the canter. She likes to move kind of stiff legged behind so encouraging to spring off the ground so I have been using more leg...in the rhythm of the canter and also traditions within the canter seems to be working well. She seems to have more energy and ground cover. Pretty basic stuff but always time well spent.

Everyone that has been showing...great work 8-) .

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:02 am

Lovely updates everyone. And really great show photos and reports! Susan, I truly hope there is a good medical/surgical option for you. I'm glad you are finding much joy in what you do with Kyra and have the support of SF, too.

I am just back from a second European trip in one month, which is a bit much for me, although it was a great visit. I've also been generally under the weather with joint flares, so haven't worked that hard when I am in town. Despite that, my local trainer (who rides Emi when I'm out of town) noted that the changes are getting easy! Funny--I haven't been working on them much--just on general canter quality :lol: I'll have to enjoy them myself when I am feeling better. Mountaineer, I wish you easy changes fun this winter.

I'm home for most of the next two months and look forward to keeping Emi happy, moving and evolving! I do love getting the report card when I come home that my horse is the most polite equine in the barn :D What a good mare!

exvet

Postby exvet » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:48 pm

I'm impressed with the progress everyone is making and just getting the opportunity to ride. I feel for those going through the setbacks, boy, I know all about those. Unfortunately I did not get to ride as much as I wanted to because of time constraints. My daughter was riding in the state championships. She managed to win the grand championship for second level on Pro A Resolute, section D Welsh Cob stallion. Her score was an impressive 68 and he went the best I've ever seen. I'm really proud of her. Her third level championship test didn't go as well but she still managed a 62 and 6th place. I thought she rode well. I did get to ride Saturday and stinker pony tried his little heart out.............really working on perfecting the transitions. Last night I got to ride again and it was the first time I was able to use my dressage saddle (daughter has been using it) on Mr. Stang. Due to his need for more muscle I had to use a Mattes pad with it but all in all he did really well. He is so much fun to ride. I have to keep in mind his weak hind end (no muscle) so that we don't over do it. His steering is getting better and we actually are getting a wee bit of a bend. I think he might be starting to catch on about moving off the leg................let the adventures continue.......well after I get back from teaching at the police academy in Texas and the two presentations I have to get done at work.....never a dull moment.

greenholmeshandy
Novice

Postby greenholmeshandy » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:34 am

Interesting to read everyone's updates, some real highs and very sad lows.

I decided start of this month to sort non cantering but does actually canter ponys canter out. I took a long look at myself and realised that the main issue was me, pony canters fine but on right rein irrespective of direction in the menage. This is despite many, many training sessions with instructor to overcome this. Yet outside she can and has cantered on left lead for over 1/2 kilometre! I came to the conclusion that what ever I am doing wrong in the menage is just reinforcing her only using the right lead and I don't have the skill to correct it. Pony always tries to please, likes being schooled provided she is asked to do funky new things like shoulder in, walk pirouette etc and I have been convinced the lead thing is down to how I am sitting plus she probably thinks that's what she is supposed to do. So for the last week or so my instructor has been schooling her twice a week. I now have a pony that canters left lead when going left, is learning to.sit back a little and slow down and is much more inclined to flex when asked out hacking. Cunning plan is to slot me in onboard in a week or so and hopefully we can both progress. I'm looking for some indoor dressage classes to have a bash at with her. Real aim though is to create a sloooow canter for my main discipline trec as we have scored nil to date in control of paces (canter along a 150 m corrider, slowest wins!).
formerly UDBB user known as Brychensmum

Silverpoet
Greenie

Postby Silverpoet » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:25 pm

Wiglaf4.jpg
Wiglaf4.jpg (63.01 KiB) Viewed 22636 times
I'm excited to say that my baby is officially a riding horse. He's been the easiest baby to start under saddle ever. No fuss what so ever. Every time I watch my trainer ride him I get more and more excited about his future. It's so satisfying to watch all the planning, time, effort (and money, omg!) that goes into raising them, start to pay off.

download/file.php?mode=view&id=1688

Return to “Dressage Training”