Must ceiling be a different color?

pawsplus
Herd Member

Must ceiling be a different color?

Postby pawsplus » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:51 pm

I am finally repainting my bathroom. The scratch marks on the drywall next to the door (former roommate's dog), the torn up mess that the door is now (my own dog), the dirty paint, the peeling sealant, the nasty med cab with the door that won't stay closed. . . All about to be a thing of the past! I got a new med cab, am replacing the knobs on the sink base and over-toilet cabinet, and am replacing the toilet, which has a nasty permanent stain due to the hard water. Yay!

Here is what I'm wondering, and the very first place I thought to ask was here! The walls are going to be a soft green. Must the ceiling be white, or can it be the same color as the walls? This is the world's smallest bathroom, and it has a slanting ceiling (making it unsuitable for anyone over 6 feet!). Might painting the ceiling the same color make it seem more all of one piece? The wall paint is satin, making it easily washable, and that would help on the ceiling, as I not infrequently hit the ceiling with my hairbrush when blowing dry my hair, leaving marks. The ceiling paint I have is flat white.

Thoughts??? I think I want the ceiling the same color, but need to make sure it won't look stupid, and I'm unsure.

Thanks!!

capstone
Herd Member

Re: Must ceiling be a different color?

Postby capstone » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:35 pm

Most of my house now has the ceiling matching the walls. Downstairs bathroom, living room, both upstairs bedrooms, the hallway and the stairwell.. Some rooms have painted white crown moulding separating and some do not.

I very much like the look.
IMG_8769.JPG
IMG_8769.JPG (91.92 KiB) Viewed 17336 times

IMG_8768.JPG
IMG_8768.JPG (71.48 KiB) Viewed 17336 times

IMG_8767.JPG
IMG_8767.JPG (91.29 KiB) Viewed 17336 times

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Postby boots-aregard » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:29 pm

Eh, I tried that, painting the commode room all one color (ceiling included). The color was a bit dense, and the outcome was, it felt like crawling into a hole. With a low slanted ceiling, I'm not sure all one color is a good idea...

But, hey, try it. It's only repainting...

Tuffytown
Herd Member

Postby Tuffytown » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:00 pm

You can do the ceiling the same or a few shades lighter than the wall color. If it is the same color it will look darker than the walls since no light falls on the ceiling. If the crown moulding stays and you want the ceiling to appear higher then paint the moulding the same color as the ceiling. The hard white stripe between them makes the ceiling seem lower, softening the line between wall and ceiling makes it appear higher.

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby PaulaO » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:40 pm

I like white ceilings painted with ceiling paint. But I'm old school

amygdala
Herd Member

Postby amygdala » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:47 pm

whatever you decide to do, if you don't like it it's easy to re paint, as boots said.
personally, i vote for white

myleetlepony
Herd Member

Postby myleetlepony » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:32 pm

I think the same color will cause the room to look and feel more closed in. I'd go with a satin white, probably. Even soft reflection of light can add the feeling of roominess.

M&M
Herd Member

Postby M&M » Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:40 am

I've never seen it done in a bathroom. Our restaurant had one room painted the same color on the ceiling, and another room with a fancy schmancy paint job on the ceiling, with a coordinating color. I'll try to find photos, but don't hold your breath.

the only reason it might not work in a bathroom is because the room is small, but you also might love it. How much do you mind painting?

pawsplus
Herd Member

Postby pawsplus » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:11 am

I actually hate painting, which is why this is still overdue LOL! I guess I'll paint the ceiling white. There is no moulding, so it might look funny all one color.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:32 pm

You want the ceiling to rise above your head and in a small room, whether small by square footage or ceiling height, I think it's especially critical for the ceiling to "rise". Paint it white.

capstone
Herd Member

Postby capstone » Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:10 pm

I guess I am in the minority!

M&M
Herd Member

Postby M&M » Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:18 pm

Screen Shot 2016-11-06 at 9.16.59 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-11-06 at 9.16.59 AM.png (211.72 KiB) Viewed 17249 times

capstone
Herd Member

Postby capstone » Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:37 pm

M&M, that is almost the same color of the bedroom I posted. Funny.

Tuffytown
Herd Member

Postby Tuffytown » Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:40 pm

Tarlo Farm wrote:You want the ceiling to rise above your head and in a small room, whether small by square footage or ceiling height, I think it's especially critical for the ceiling to "rise". Paint it white.

True to point but as I referred to above, the sharp contrast between the ceiling and the walls can make the ceiling feel lower.

Suzon
Herd Member

Postby Suzon » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:31 am

A white ceiling reflects more neutral colored light, making the room brighter. We actually use our kitchen ceiling to reflect and even the light in the area. We put in above cabinet lights that point toward the ceiling and then reflect and bounce a soft even light into the work area.

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:37 am

How about a piece of molding (it could be very simple, just a board) that is painted the same color as the wall below it. That way you will not have a "visual belt" around the room, but could create a natural transition to a lighter color above it which you could also use on the ceiling.

pawsplus
Herd Member

Postby pawsplus » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:36 pm

Painting it white. Of course I have run into various issues that are slowing me down, but nearly done with the prep work. Handy guy is putting in the lights today (he's about to go out of town so I needed that done before he left, so I removed them and painted around where they will go, but failed to mark the wires so I can't put the new ones in), as well as the new faucet. I hope to be ready to really DO the painting on Friday, which I am taking off for this purpose. :-)

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:02 pm

I like ceilings that are some version of white. I've read where you can mix a splash of the wall color paint into the can of white ceiling paint to provide a tiny bit of tint, but not sure how much a "splash" would be :)

Ryeissa
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Ryeissa » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:52 pm

I vote for white, too! :)

Saddlebum
Herd Member

Postby Saddlebum » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:11 am

I painted my bathroom ceiling same color as the walls and regret it. One of these days, I want to repaint the ceiling white. The bathroom is kinda on the small side. Feel painting ceiling white will make it feel larger, lift up the room.

Rhianon
Herd Member

Postby Rhianon » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:07 am

I solved this by painting the whole thing--ceiling and walls--a nice shade of white. I love it.

M&M
Herd Member

Postby M&M » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:26 pm

I love the idea of the splash of color in the white ceiling paint.

Minz
Novice

Postby Minz » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:50 am

When I had my basement finished last spring, the contractor said that the designer he was working with on another project told him that ceilings were going with the wall colour, and trim and doors were going darker than the wall colour. So that is what I did, and I love it. That said, it is a basement so I went with a light silver gray for the walls/ceiling and a slightly darker gray for the doors and trim. I have a hot pink, gray, black and white zigzag upholstery for my window bench, so I am excited to see it finished. Decorating was put on hold so that I could finish paying for the construction first.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”