Re: General Photography Discussion 2

Postby Racetrackreject » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:34 pm

So cute VLF!! You're little on is adorable and I am an anti-baby person. lol

Really nice shots!

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:35 pm

VLF, I can usually only add 3 at a time.

Love the ones of your little man!! (especially the one on his belly in the leaves :D ) He's adorable :) Sounds like you have had more than your fair share of more on your plate than should be allowed.

Like the wedding photos. My fav is actually the couple with the umbrella. Very emotional and not a 'standard' wedding pose :)

viscountessleftfield
Herd Member

Postby viscountessleftfield » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:35 am

WheresMyWhite wrote:VLF, I can usually only add 3 at a time.

Love the ones of your little man!! (especially the one on his belly in the leaves :D ) He's adorable :) Sounds like you have had more than your fair share of more on your plate than should be allowed.

Like the wedding photos. My fav is actually the couple with the umbrella. Very emotional and not a 'standard' wedding pose :)

Thanks! He's an amazing, easy, funny, sweet baby. I wear him 99% of the time when I'm shooting and he's so happy just hanging out with me.

The couple with the umbrella is a one year anniversary session. We shot their wedding a year ago and they came back for portraits. Funny thing is, we haven't had rain in months and it rained for twenty minutes through their session!

RTR - I'm not a baby person either, and I love him. He's so chill and easy!

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:25 pm

Do you have anything photography related on your Christmas list?

I had to take my new-ish camera (D500) in to the camera shop this weekend because it had an error popping up. It's an error that normally means the camera is not reading the lens, but it was doing it with all of my lenses, not just one. I tried cleaning the contacts, taking out the memory cards and battery, etc, and nothing worked. When I got to the camera shop, the camera did in fact have the error code up, but the guy simply dry fired it once with no lens or card and it went away. :shock: So now I have a camera that may or may not throw up an error again, but was told not to send it in unless the code popped back up. Sigh. I have 2 shows and a portrait session this weekend, so let's hope that it stays working ok..lol. I do have my full frame for backup, which I had to use weekend before last. It works fine, but it's not the speed demon that my D500 is.

Anyway, while in the shop, I decided to grab a few more batteries. The D500 uses the same batteries as many of Nikon's other cameras, but if the battery has a 1 instead of a 20 marked on it, the camera will eat the battery in short order. Of course I only have 1 20 battery and the rest of mine are 1s. Luckily the shop had 20s, so I lucked out there. I also talked myself into buying the grip for the D500 as well... >.> What's another pound or 2 when you're already schlepping around a heavy camera and lens...lol.

Suzon
Herd Member

Postby Suzon » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:38 am

Racetrackreject wrote:Do you have anything photography related on your Christmas list?

I'm still smacking myself in the head trying not to buy a 5D Mark IV. :lol: :lol:

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:40 am

RTR, when you say the battery is a '1' or a '20' what number are you looking at?

Not looking forward to parking with my D750 :( With the used Tamron I got, I keep getting an ERR which is a shutter lock problem and sounds like a known "issue". I can send it back to Nikon and they'll fix it but not looking forward to being without :) Haven't seen the ERR with any of my Nikon lenses.

Wonder if you're having a related issue to what I'm having. There was a window last year where this problem would show up in the D750's. From Google it sounds like it can be a PITA to clear. And yes, I've missed a few photos because of it :(

The used (from B&H) Tamron 150-600 was my Christmas present to myself. It's not the next gen of this lens but for the amount I'll use it, I'll survive :) I think for the work you do, the grip is a great idea.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:41 am

Suzon, I figure I buy my own Christmas present for myself as no one else will and I get what I want :D

Yes, I think you should treat yourself to the Mark IV ;)

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:28 pm

WheresMyWhite wrote:RTR, when you say the battery is a '1' or a '20' what number are you looking at?

Not looking forward to parking with my D750 :( With the used Tamron I got, I keep getting an ERR which is a shutter lock problem and sounds like a known "issue". I can send it back to Nikon and they'll fix it but not looking forward to being without :) Haven't seen the ERR with any of my Nikon lenses.

Wonder if you're having a related issue to what I'm having. There was a window last year where this problem would show up in the D750's. From Google it sounds like it can be a PITA to clear. And yes, I've missed a few photos because of it :(

The used (from B&H) Tamron 150-600 was my Christmas present to myself. It's not the next gen of this lens but for the amount I'll use it, I'll survive :) I think for the work you do, the grip is a great idea.

On the flat side of the battery where it says Li-ion there is a number after that, either a 1 or a 20. The 20s last much longer in the D500. I can shoot a whole playday on a 20 and only about 30 minutes on a 1.

That's interesting WMW. Not having the D750, I didn't think to look for other models that may have the same issue. I did google the issue, but specifically with the D500. I'm going to have to send mine in as well, but they said that it really doesn't do much good to send it in if the error is not up for them to see. At least it's under warranty.

Did you know that if you can get into the NPS program with Nikon that whey will send you loaner gear while yours is repaired? The camera shop suggested me looking into doing that and the NPS program is basically free with Nikon (per the shop owner). You have to have 2 eligible cameras ("pro" cameras) and I forget how many lenses, and there a few other requirements, but I haven't looked them up yet.

Have you seen the new Nikon 200-500? I checked it out while I was at the camera shop and I want it...lol. It's only $1400 because it's a 5.6-6-3, but there are a lot of wildlife photogs, some of whom still work for National Geographic, who visit this shop and they've been reviewing the lens and saying that they can't tell the difference between it and photos they shot with the 500 f4. It's been selling out!

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:29 pm

Suzon wrote:
Racetrackreject wrote:Do you have anything photography related on your Christmas list?

I'm still smacking myself in the head trying not to buy a 5D Mark IV. :lol: :lol:

I would say go buy it, but I've read here and there and it's not a big of enough improvement on the 5dm3 to worry about. Idk how true that is, but maybe rent one before you decide to buy?

viscountessleftfield
Herd Member

Postby viscountessleftfield » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:21 pm

Suzon - there are a lot of photographers having card failure issues with the 5D Mk IV. One of my friends rented one for a month but is waiting to buy another 1Dx Mk whatever.

To fix the Err, take the lens off, fire the shutter, and pop the lens back on. One of my 750s does it intermittently, one is fine. It's my body that has the issue and I always wear two bodies, so if it's happening at a bad time I just grab my secondary body.

RTR - we rented a 500 and that beast ate battieries so much we almost didn't make it through the wedding and we have ten. Ten! batteries for our 750s. Hubby loved it and wants to buy one again (we bought one, returned it - just wasn't the time to do it).

The 200-500 IMO doesn't compare to the primes. I have a second who shoots sports and has a 400 f2.8 that he brings to weddings at large churches, it's a wonderful lens even in low light. The 200-500 doesn't have the low light performance to be an option for us.

Suzon
Herd Member

Postby Suzon » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:45 pm

viscountessleftfield wrote:Suzon - there are a lot of photographers having card failure issues with the 5D Mk IV. One of my friends rented one for a month but is waiting to buy another 1Dx Mk whatever.

VLF, good to know!! That may change everything. The reviews on it are mixed, but most of the negatives have been on the video side. I had not heard the card thing. My other plan would be a Mark III or an older 1D.

viscountessleftfield
Herd Member

Postby viscountessleftfield » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:26 pm

Suzon wrote:
viscountessleftfield wrote:Suzon - there are a lot of photographers having card failure issues with the 5D Mk IV. One of my friends rented one for a month but is waiting to buy another 1Dx Mk whatever.

VLF, good to know!! That may change everything. The reviews on it are mixed, but most of the negatives have been on the video side. I had not heard the card thing. My other plan would be a Mark III or an older 1D.

My friend that rented one shoots like I do - commercial, weddings, honest to god full time several hundred thousand frames a year. She has 1Ds now and is okay with the 5d Mk iii. Her reviews of the 5D Mk IV were mixed, but she had several corrupt cards from it. I've heard the same thing from other people, too.

I haven't heard anything from video peeps about it, yet. I don't think any of my friends own one at this point!

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:06 pm

viscountessleftfield wrote:To fix the Err, take the lens off, fire the shutter, and pop the lens back on. One of my 750s does it intermittently, one is fine. It's my body that has the issue and I always wear two bodies, so if it's happening at a bad time I just grab my secondary body.

RTR - we rented a 500 and that beast ate battieries so much we almost didn't make it through the wedding and we have ten. Ten! batteries for our 750s. Hubby loved it and wants to buy one again (we bought one, returned it - just wasn't the time to do it).

The 200-500 IMO doesn't compare to the primes. I have a second who shoots sports and has a 400 f2.8 that he brings to weddings at large churches, it's a wonderful lens even in low light. The 200-500 doesn't have the low light performance to be an option for us.

That's exactly what the camera shop guy did, unintentionally fixing it. Then he was mad that the error wasn't there so he couldn't see what the code read as.

I wonder if you have Li-ion1 batteries? I can shoot 3k frames on the 20 if I make sure to turn it off between divisions, with the batteries, I can get maybe 300 frames. I love the camera though. I didn't even realize how much I liked it until I had to use my full frame for backup while it was down.

I wasn't suggesting the 200-500 for weddings or indoor events, just for wildlife. The pro wildlife guys are snatching these things up as a lighter and cheaper alternative to the 500 f4. I was actually looking at getting the Sigma 150-600mm and the photoshop guy said that since I was using the D500, I might want to try the 200-500 instead.

https://photographylife.com/nikon-200-5 ... reek-ranch

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:50 pm

BabyGoose (from here and TOB) has the Tamron 150-600 and has liked it for her outdoors shooting. That's what inspired me to get the lens in a refurbished version (from reputable) as I don't do enough to justify new, fancy long lens :)

VLF, if I needed the faster speeds (or rather, could really utilize them) might be different. Since I shoot mostly landscape and have the 70-200 2.8 on my camera... that will do the trick for me :)

I have gotten some decent photos with the Tamron. It's a bit of a heavy bugger but still manageable hand-held. Had someone tell me I couldn't handhold it (which mostly I do agree with) but he didn't look at my camera to see that I can compensate for handhold by pushing the ISO up higher than maybe normal and get decent shutter speeds to get the birds to "hold still" :).

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:45 am

RTR, I did some checking in the Nikon Service Advisories and the D750 ERR shutter issue appears to be for the D750. Didn't see any advisories for the D500.

For the D750, you put in your serial number and if you're a winner, you get a packing slip and UPS label to send it in... thinking now I'll wait until after the 25th...

I also checked my batteries... they are the 20 (at least the one I did check). It does seem to last quite some time for sure.

viscountessleftfield
Herd Member

Postby viscountessleftfield » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:54 am

We run aftermarket batteries, none of which will work in the rental D500s. Which sucks!

WMW, both my D750s are gray market, so no recall repairs for me. I'll live with it until she needs to go in for service.

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:03 pm

viscountessleftfield wrote:We run aftermarket batteries, none of which will work in the rental D500s. Which sucks!

WMW, both my D750s are gray market, so no recall repairs for me. I'll live with it until she needs to go in for service.

Yes the no aftermarket battery thing had me annoyed at first, but I think I've gotten all but one of my aftermarkets replaced now. I'm sure it won't be too long before the aftermarkets catch up though and have the chip so they can be used.

SnowHorse
Herd Member

Postby SnowHorse » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:48 pm

Racetrackreject wrote:
I wasn't suggesting the 200-500 for weddings or indoor events, just for wildlife. The pro wildlife guys are snatching these things up as a lighter and cheaper alternative to the 500 f4. I was actually looking at getting the Sigma 150-600mm and the photoshop guy said that since I was using the D500, I might want to try the 200-500 instead.

I've been looking at this lens recently, to replace my super slow-to-focus, not-so-good 80-400mm lens.

So, if/ when you get it, would you PLEASE post some pics taken with it, with a focus point zoomed out to 100% of the image (just a crop of the part where the focus is), because I haven't found any pics taken with it on pixelpeeper.com, or elsewhere. I want the 100% crop to assess the quality, and I can't find any. I live in the boonies, so even renting one to test it out would be a PITA.

Pretty please? :)
Face masks! Bandanas! Posters, mugs, cards etc - http://www.zazzle.com/okiepony/products -- Horses, cats, butterflies, Hummingbirds, quotes, sillies, patterns - everything!

viscountessleftfield
Herd Member

Postby viscountessleftfield » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:50 pm

Racetrackreject wrote:
viscountessleftfield wrote:We run aftermarket batteries, none of which will work in the rental D500s. Which sucks!

Yes the no aftermarket battery thing had me annoyed at first, but I think I've gotten all but one of my aftermarkets replaced now. I'm sure it won't be too long before the aftermarkets catch up though and have the chip so they can be used.

Rental houses don't tell you no aftermarket batteries, which is a huge PITA when we rent a body every.single.weekend that takes our batteries, and we ended up not having the gear we needed. I'm still rubbed wrong over it! I usually rent another 750 or a 7200, the 500 was a splurge for hubby to try it and see if he liked it since he was doing photo and video at a wedding on his own.

viscountessleftfield
Herd Member

Postby viscountessleftfield » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:51 pm

SnowHorse wrote:
Racetrackreject wrote:

I've been looking at this lens recently, to replace my super slow-to-focus, not-so-good 80-400mm lens.

So, if/ when you get it, would you PLEASE post some pics taken with it, with a focus point zoomed out to 100% of the image (just a crop of the part where the focus is), because I haven't found any pics taken with it on pixelpeeper.com, or elsewhere. I want the 100% crop to assess the quality, and I can't find any. I live in the boonies, so even renting one to test it out would be a PITA.

Pretty please? :)

Is BorrowLenses not an option to rent from? That's who we use up north and we're in the boonies, too!

SnowHorse
Herd Member

Postby SnowHorse » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:08 pm

viscountessleftfield wrote:
Is BorrowLenses not an option to rent from? That's who we use up north and we're in the boonies, too!

You know, I have never rented a lens, and it appears that you get one shipped to your house, BUT how do you ship it back? If it means I have to drive 45 miles one way to get it to "a shipper", it's not happening :)

I have looked at their info, but they don't offer anything else than "Your rental must be postmarked by your shipper before the same day cut-off time" for the return. As far as I'm concerned, that's not helpful or informational at all.
Face masks! Bandanas! Posters, mugs, cards etc - http://www.zazzle.com/okiepony/products -- Horses, cats, butterflies, Hummingbirds, quotes, sillies, patterns - everything!

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:13 pm

With BorrowLenses, they provide a pre-paid return shipping label. Will UPS pick up the parcel at your house if it is packaged up and label applied?

I second BorrowLenses... they also provide the option to ship to some UPS drop off stores (like some of the small package stores with non-USPS mailboxes). I usually do that so I don't worry about something pricey sitting on my front door step if they show up when I'm not home. If I'm on the fence about a lens, I'll rent it and try it out..

Color me a non-grey market dweeb. I usually don't go grey-market so I do have a warranty and had no idea that batteries were coded by the manufacturer... having said that, I also don't have the need for the equipment pool a wedding photographer will have, particularly if they are shooting (as a business) more than one event occurring at the same time. :)

viscountessleftfield
Herd Member

Postby viscountessleftfield » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:23 pm

I believe you can have UPS pick up your gear. We always took it to the package store in town for return, but had things shipped to our house.

WMW - I saved $800 per body buying grey market, for that savings I can fix a lot of stuff or just buy a new body. Right now I run three full frames, we need a fourth and I have got to replace my 700 - she's got almost 400,000 shutter clicks and is starting to fail. I just don't know what I want for my backup body. We routinely outfit four photographers for weddings, so I have a ton of gear. Most used, most older, but what's new is grey market.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:29 am

VLF, I hear you but you're equipment list is pretty different from mine (and understandably so). I have just one full frame (the D750) and that will most likely outlast me :)

Definitely different cost and considerations in being a hobby photographer vs professional :)

SnowHorse
Herd Member

Postby SnowHorse » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:38 am

WheresMyWhite wrote:With BorrowLenses, they provide a pre-paid return shipping label. Will UPS pick up the parcel at your house if it is packaged up and label applied?

Well they do bring stuff here, so I suppose they could pick up, too.

I never ship anything anywhere except for a Xmas package overseas once a year by mail, so I have no clue how other shippers work for pick-up.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:32 pm

SnowHorse, check UPS's web page or give them a call (IIRC if you are persistent enough and try hitting '0' enough you can actually get a person :) ).

VLF, we are hoping to see some photos of the little one in all his holiday finery :D

viscountessleftfield
Herd Member

Postby viscountessleftfield » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:22 am

Austin met the pony today!
Attachments
Picture-This-Photography-Charlotte-NC-Cleveland-OH-Wedding-Real-Estate-Photographer_1219.jpg
Picture-This-Photography-Charlotte-NC-Cleveland-OH-Wedding-Real-Estate-Photographer_1219.jpg (194.99 KiB) Viewed 29974 times
Picture-This-Photography-Charlotte-NC-Cleveland-OH-Wedding-Real-Estate-Photographer_1223.jpg
Picture-This-Photography-Charlotte-NC-Cleveland-OH-Wedding-Real-Estate-Photographer_1223.jpg (140.74 KiB) Viewed 29974 times
Picture-This-Photography-Charlotte-NC-Cleveland-OH-Wedding-Real-Estate-Photographer_1231.jpg
Courtesy of mom.
Picture-This-Photography-Charlotte-NC-Cleveland-OH-Wedding-Real-Estate-Photographer_1231.jpg (202.85 KiB) Viewed 29974 times

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:57 pm

Lovely! He's growing up so fast! Is he going to have to share with mom or will he get his own pony??

And such an obliging first mount :D

viscountessleftfield
Herd Member

Postby viscountessleftfield » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:13 pm

If he's interested I'll probably buy a second pony. Peeps is fine in the arena, but she's too pushy on the ground for a little one. I can't wait for him to actually be able to ride!

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:46 am

Update on the ERR on the D750 (which I ever only ended up seeing on the Tamron lens :( although my SN was covered under the service repair).

Gritted my teeth and sent my D750 in for the service. It was back in my hands less than 2 weeks after I dropped it off at a UPS drop off!!

Not only the service repair (replace shutter mechanism) but the enclosed sheet also said adjusted auto focus, clean image sensor, checked image test and bayonet mount, general clean and repair and firmware upgrade :D

Nice job Nikon :)

I think Sunday I will get to the Desert Botanical Garden early (I start my volunteer shift at 9:00am) and shoot some with it to make sure it is all working well. Use tomorrow afternoon to run through some of my non-default settings to see if I need to re-do them or not.

And on a bit more of a photography note (although no photos included as distance with the iPhone just doesn't cut it) - saw 2 turkey vultures on a street light - one was having nothing to do with the other and the next day an American Kestral :) - 2 Border Terriers and a nice DSLR camera just don't go well together :roll:

viscountessleftfield
Herd Member

Postby viscountessleftfield » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:04 am

WMW, we have eagles nesting at the end of our street! Hubby has gotten some photos of them, but nothing impressive.

I'm getting ready to incorporate and want to change my name - Any ideas for me? We're a husband wife team John & Stephanie last name Dohmlo. I want something that's not so cutesy it's not masculine enough to include hubs
Attachments
Picture-This-Photography-Charlotte-NC-Cleveland-OH-Wedding-Real-Estate-Photographer_1321.jpg
Picture-This-Photography-Charlotte-NC-Cleveland-OH-Wedding-Real-Estate-Photographer_1321.jpg (113.29 KiB) Viewed 29915 times
Picture-This-Photography-Charlotte-NC-Cleveland-OH-Wedding-Real-Estate-Photographer_1276.jpg
Picture-This-Photography-Charlotte-NC-Cleveland-OH-Wedding-Real-Estate-Photographer_1276.jpg (115.15 KiB) Viewed 29915 times
Picture-This-Photography-Charlotte-NC-Cleveland-OH-Wedding-Real-Estate-Photographer_1334.jpg
Picture-This-Photography-Charlotte-NC-Cleveland-OH-Wedding-Real-Estate-Photographer_1334.jpg (133.15 KiB) Viewed 29915 times

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:09 am

OMG, I love the photos :) Hard to say which is my fav.

As for name, I am hopeless when it comes to names... I'll have to cogitate a bit.

An off the wall question (and I haven't researched it thoroughly yet). When the D750 came back, some of the settings were as I left them but most were returned to factory defaults :( - how do you turn off the annoying beep when you press the shutter to check focus/etc??? I thought I found the right setting but evidently not.

Can I say again I love the baby photos??? :D

viscountessleftfield
Herd Member

Postby viscountessleftfield » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:11 am

WMW I'm thinking of Wanderer at Heart Photography or That Wandering Light Photography - both cover the two locations and love for destination weddings pretty well, IMO. I also like The Whimsical Pony Photography but I got out voted on that name!

I went over to help a friend with OCF today and Austin modeled for us. Photos courtesy of Wendy B Photography, I LOVE them!
Attachments
Picture-This-Photography-Charlotte-NC-Cleveland-OH-Wedding-Real-Estate-Photographer_1351.jpg
Picture-This-Photography-Charlotte-NC-Cleveland-OH-Wedding-Real-Estate-Photographer_1351.jpg (114.86 KiB) Viewed 29905 times
Picture-This-Photography-Charlotte-NC-Cleveland-OH-Wedding-Real-Estate-Photographer_1352.jpg
Picture-This-Photography-Charlotte-NC-Cleveland-OH-Wedding-Real-Estate-Photographer_1352.jpg (138.6 KiB) Viewed 29905 times
Picture-This-Photography-Charlotte-NC-Cleveland-OH-Wedding-Real-Estate-Photographer_1348.jpg
Picture-This-Photography-Charlotte-NC-Cleveland-OH-Wedding-Real-Estate-Photographer_1348.jpg (142.44 KiB) Viewed 29905 times

viscountessleftfield
Herd Member

Postby viscountessleftfield » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:11 am

Oh, if we're friends on FB I'm doing a 365 project - he has an album for his picture a day!

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:37 am

How do I find you on FB?

Austin is so photogenic...

Me? I like Wanderer at Heart (or I originally mistyped Wandering Heart which I also like :) )... I am much better at having an opinion on choices rather than having to make up the choices in the first place :D

viscountessleftfield
Herd Member

Postby viscountessleftfield » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:12 pm

I'm Stephanie Dohmlo on Facebook :)

We went with That Wandering Light. The switch over is soooooo much work!

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:48 am

Congrats on the new name :)

And I'll do some looking on FB :) (you should see a request just now from me)

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:13 am

Yippee!!! More Austin photos :)

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:41 pm

VLF, RTR, et al.

Your thoughts/opinions on using Auto ISO vs manually setting ISO for Aperture priority landscape/bird photography??

viscountessleftfield
Herd Member

Postby viscountessleftfield » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:52 am

WheresMyWhite wrote:VLF, RTR, et al.

Your thoughts/opinions on using Auto ISO vs manually setting ISO for Aperture priority landscape/bird photography??

I see no benefit to both Auto ISO and AP. I shoot Auto ISO in tough light because the camera makes better snap decisions than I do. I shoot AP when I have a migraine, because I get stupid. But, I never use both!

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:46 pm

For landscape, I set my Aperture and use auto ISO, generally. That said, I'm usually in a hurry, shooting handheld and just trying to grab a shot while I can. If I had more time to set up a tripod and the whole deal, I would do so and likely shoot everything on manual.

For birds in motion, I tend to shoot in Shutter Priority/auto iso. If I'm shooting close-ups of perched birds, I will go full manual.

Like much of my life, how much time I have tends to dictate what I do..lol.

Great photos of Austin VLF!! He's a cutie!

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:15 pm

Well, I stepped out of my comfort zone a bit. The sister of the man I'm dating is getting married next month. The photographer that she had set up to do her bridals was unable to do them, so she asked if I could help her out. I gave her all the warnings about how this isn't what I do, they'll likely be horrible, etc... She said that she was not worried one bit about how they turned out, and knowing her and the family are very kind and laid back, I agreed to help her out.

We ran out of time, not my fault, so I will be going back to get more with her horses, 5 of them.

She loves these previews that I sent her, and there are a few of them that I like as well. Just going to post a few here and ask for your opinions. These photos do not have any bumps smoothed, or any retouching yet, and I downloaded them out of facebook messenger, where I had sent them to the bride-to-be.

16388951_10211394963408161_862870271_o.jpg
16388951_10211394963408161_862870271_o.jpg (207.29 KiB) Viewed 29830 times

16389071_10211395330057327_555105423_o.jpg
16389071_10211395330057327_555105423_o.jpg (191.81 KiB) Viewed 29830 times

Well crud, only those 2 were small enough to upload.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:48 pm

RTR, I like them very much. I'd get the contrast up a bit (as they seem a little "overexposed" (and maybe you just didn't get there yet)).

I really like the top one. My "style" with casual and informal and that soft expression looking away from the camera.

In the photos, the bride looks very happy and relaxed and not really "posed".

Was thinking (just went back and looked at them again), might be fun to play with the vignetting around the edge that LR offers to soften a bit more around the edge of the photo. If you do, I'd like to see what one looks like (just to satisfy myself)

Where is that thumbs up??? ;)

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:34 pm

WheresMyWhite wrote:RTR, I like them very much. I'd get the contrast up a bit (as they seem a little "overexposed" (and maybe you just didn't get there yet)).

I really like the top one. My "style" with casual and informal and that soft expression looking away from the camera.

In the photos, the bride looks very happy and relaxed and not really "posed".

Was thinking (just went back and looked at them again), might be fun to play with the vignetting around the edge that LR offers to soften a bit more around the edge of the photo. If you do, I'd like to see what one looks like (just to satisfy myself)

Where is that thumbs up??? ;)

Thanks!

I thought they looked overexposed on my work computer too, but they looked fine on my Mac. I may need to do some calibration to the monitor.

I'm not a big posed person and while we did do poses, the top photo is more my kind of thing. I describe myself as photojournalistic in style, not sure that's accurate.

I hadn't thought about that, but I will play around with it and let you know/see.

Thanks again!

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:28 am

Shows you the difference in monitors. I was looking at them on my iMac :)

viscountessleftfield
Herd Member

Postby viscountessleftfield » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:08 pm

The top one the crop is awkward at her arm and I don't like the hair covering her eye. The bottom one rocks. They look a bit cool and overexposed on my calibrated screens.

Vignette isn't really in style right now in wedding photography, but weird fake film edits are. :lol:

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:33 pm

viscountessleftfield wrote:The top one the crop is awkward at her arm and I don't like the hair covering her eye. The bottom one rocks. They look a bit cool and overexposed on my calibrated screens.

Vignette isn't really in style right now in wedding photography, but weird fake film edits are. :lol:

Thanks! I'll see if I can warm them up and tone down the exposure a bit (and get my monitor calibrated!!).

It was very windy and we were having to move the hair every half second. We are going to shoot some more photos, so maybe it will be less windy and cold..lol.

viscountessleftfield
Herd Member

Postby viscountessleftfield » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:05 pm

Racetrackreject wrote:
viscountessleftfield wrote:The top one the crop is awkward at her arm and I don't like the hair covering her eye. The bottom one rocks. They look a bit cool and overexposed on my calibrated screens.

Thanks! I'll see if I can warm them up and tone down the exposure a bit (and get my monitor calibrated!!).

It was very windy and we were having to move the hair every half second. We are going to shoot some more photos, so maybe it will be less windy and cold..lol.

Just watch about cropping right at joints - that was tough for me!

This is completely different from what you usually shoot, but beautiful work!

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:09 pm

viscountessleftfield wrote:
Racetrackreject wrote:

Just watch about cropping right at joints - that was tough for me!

This is completely different from what you usually shoot, but beautiful work!

'
Thanks so much! I really value you guys' opinions and yours especially in this genre.

Yes, I'm horrible about cropping at joints. I can never remember if the rule is not at a joint or at a joint..lol. I'll play around on the crop of the top photo a bit and see what I can get.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:53 am

VLF, so glad there are wonderful folks like you that like shooting brides/weddings :D I'll stick with landscape and birds that won't hold still :lol:

I'm a renegade enough that if I liked vignetting in a photo, I'd probably use it, in style or not.

Interesting about not cropping at a joint. That would sure not be something I'd even think about if I did try some people photography. The birds, I count it all good if I get the whole bird and they're in focus :lol:

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”