Wash pits, mats, rough concrete, non-slip paint and a pit bull ?? Thoughts please...

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Wash pits, mats, rough concrete, non-slip paint and a pit bull ?? Thoughts please...

Postby fergusnc » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:57 pm

Planning way ahead, especially since concrete was poured 1.5 years ago, and water was run/capped off a month or two later, but we are nowhere near having a finished tackroom which would allow water hook up and the wash pit is lovingly referred to as our "lumber yard". :lol: Life at the Fixer Upper Farm. ❤️

Anyway, the concrete has a rough finish on purpose to try to make it less slippery. Have heard "you must have mats" and "never have mats, they get too slippery when wet" about equally from people. This week DH had to build a ramp for the two step area from our garage into our mud room for sweet ol' Gunny who has been having more issues getting around these days...2 ER trips and one follow up with regular vet in a 2.5 week span. Long story, no for sure answer, treating for tickbourne illness and poly arthritis and having definite success....along with a few bad days. :( Related info because...first time Gunny tried the ramp he slid down it like he was on a playground slide. Thankfully he went with it and wasn't hurt or scared at all. DH went and bought some paint advertised for use on stairs and ramps and places that get slippery when wet. Gunny did fine on ramp when he tried again post-paint. Got me thinking,,,do people use this in wash pits? And in general, what says the DDBB re: preferences to keep the wash puts non-slippery.

Just because it's been awhile, and since his name came up, here is Gunny's Christmas photo from 2016. As a reminder, he is my little three-legged, major overcomer, rescued from horrible abuse, and bigtime ambassador for rescue, adoption, and education of the younger generations...complete with his own children's book. ❤️ He is 11.5 years old now, which is really hard to absorb.
Attachments
IMG_3214.JPG
IMG_3214.JPG (155.65 KiB) Viewed 12629 times

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Wash pits, mats, rough concrete, non-slip paint and a pit bull ?? Thoughts please...

Postby Chisamba » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:09 pm

I definitely use rough textured mats on my wash rack

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Re: Wash pits, mats, rough concrete, non-slip paint and a pit bull ?? Thoughts please...

Postby fergusnc » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:17 pm

Thanks Chisamba. When you say rough textured mats, do you just buy regular stall mats and flip them so that the rough side is facing up? Or are they different mats altogether?

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:44 pm

I have no input on the wash area, but I do love Gunny's photo!

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:34 pm

We have no mats where I board, but the texture is rough in the area where you bath, it's actually just like aggregate paving. I would worry about all the water getting under the mats and creating mold.

Ginny's eyes seem to be saying: do I really need to wear this tie!

Omg, he's so cute!

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Postby boots-aregard » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:36 pm

There are mats and there are mats.

I believe rubber mats under horses are for concussion and to make cleaning areas easier (by covering the potentially uneven dirt/gravel surface below). They aren't meant to be "non slip" insofar as they are installed on flat surfaces.

You have to buy mats that are ribbed on one side to get any non-slip out of them. People use ribbed mats on their trailer ramps, but even there coir mats and ramps with bars on the surface make for better non-slip traction than rubber.

As for Gunny, you can purchase all kinds of non-slip mats at Home Depot that are both thinner, cheaper, and more flexible (to deal with varigation in the surface and/or cut around door jambs, etc.).

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:16 pm

Thanks gang.

Boots...Gunny doesn't need any more mats, we have that handled in the house. DH just didn't factor in sneakers vs dog paws when he thought ramp in garage was fine. The nonslip paint he bought actually works great. And why I was wondering if anyone had ever painted a concrete floor or wash pit area with it for the horses' sake.

He also bought a roll of 4" nonslip tape type stuff in case the paint didn't end up working. Ones of the reviews of the tape was a lady reporting how well it worked on her trailer ramp, as her matted ramp got slippery at times in weather, etc.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:34 pm

they are called button mats, they are about half inch thick and have button like bumps on them. they are a bit of a pain to clean but they are not at all slippery

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:34 am

Chisamba wrote:they are called button mats, they are about half inch thick and have button like bumps on them. they are a bit of a pain to clean but they are not at all slippery

Chisamba, would it be like this mat, if it were flipped button side up? https://www.southernstates.com/catalog/ ... 34-in.aspx I think this would be something I could get locally, whereas some others that came up in a google search would have to be shipped...and I am guessing would be super pricey to ship due to weight. Or maybe this would work? Also local. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/produ ... _vc=-10005

So I am guessing no one has seen or tried the nonslip paint on a concrete surface?

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:37 am

I took my horse trailer mats out...the ones that came with the trailer and replaced them with those Mighty Lite mats. The original mats were heavy and like trying to corral a greased pig when I needed to pull them out. Also difficult to air out the floor without pulling them clear out. I was apprehensive thinking the Mighty Lites might be slick but they are synthetic and not rubber and are amazingly non-slip for mats. They interlock and each one is only 12 lbs so you could easily pull them up to dry or clean. You could also drill some holes in them for drainage.

Amazon stocks them.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

angela9823
Herd Member

Postby angela9823 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:54 am

My husband has a meat processing plant. The wet floors (blood/water/fat) could make for some very dangerous situations. So we have a floor that is the same type of material as is the rhino liner in a truck bed (it is called rhino floor). It washes easily but does not get slick with water. Military bases are starting to use this stuff in their cafeterias for the same reason. Easy clean but no slip to it when wet. If I had to paint a floor to keep it from getting slick, that is what I'd use.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:17 pm

Now, see, had you not included the "and a pit bull" I probably wouldn't have opened this thread.

Gunny is VERY VERY handsome. Scarlett is 14ish....and definitely showing her age.

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:12 pm

angela9823 wrote:My husband has a meat processing plant. The wet floors (blood/water/fat) could make for some very dangerous situations. So we have a floor that is the same type of material as is the rhino liner in a truck bed (it is called rhino floor). It washes easily but does not get slick with water. Military bases are starting to use this stuff in their cafeterias for the same reason. Easy clean but no slip to it when wet. If I had to paint a floor to keep it from getting slick, that is what I'd use.

Ang, is it in local stores like Lowes, and a can of Rhino paint, or do you have a pro come do it?

Chancellor wrote:Now, see, had you not included the "and a pit bull" I probably wouldn't have opened this thread.

Gunny is VERY VERY handsome. Scarlett is 14ish....and definitely showing her age.

Thanks Chancellor. He's pretty photogenic for sure. Wow, 14 for Miss Scarlett...that's awesome. Good ol' Oscar is 12 now, and though he seems a little crunchy at certain times, but very comfy. He does amazingly well for a 70lb, 12 yr old dog. Tried a little NSAID support, but tummy wasn't fond of two types we trialed...has some reflux issues. So will hold off until the need is greater, or we have to get some new, extremely expensive but apparently amazingly-well tolerated one a vet friend told us about. Photos added so as not to leave him out. 8-)
Attachments
IMG_3216.JPG
IMG_3216.JPG (169.79 KiB) Viewed 12514 times
IMG_3215.JPG
IMG_3215.JPG (189.87 KiB) Viewed 12514 times

angela9823
Herd Member

Postby angela9823 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:44 pm

fergusnc wrote:
angela9823 wrote:My husband has a meat processing plant. The wet floors (blood/water/fat) could make for some very dangerous situations. So we have a floor that is the same type of material as is the rhino liner in a truck bed (it is called rhino floor). It washes easily but does not get slick with water. Military bases are starting to use this stuff in their cafeterias for the same reason. Easy clean but no slip to it when wet. If I had to paint a floor to keep it from getting slick, that is what I'd use.

Ang, is it in local stores like Lowes, and a can of Rhino paint, or do you have a pro come do it?

You can purchase that from Lowes in the epoxy paint area. I think that will do just fine for your purpose. We used a professional because we need it to withstand high and low temperatures (coolers that then get washed with high heat), pressure washing and -just in general- lots of beating up.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:42 pm

Yes the buttons do look like that. I. Mistrust paint but the rhino paint sounds interesting

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:18 pm

The Rhino floor sounds promising! I have some links to other non-slip coatings, but I bet Rhino will be less expensive.

Another option is cutting grooves in the concrete. See photo at bottom of page -
http://www.barnfloorgroovers.com/index.html

I don't think anyone has mentioned ring mats / fatigue mats. I wouldn't suggest them for a big barn, because the holes can get clogged with hair and manure. But, maybe they'd be fine use at for Fixer Upper Farm. Just make sure to buy them small and light enough to move around easily, if you do need to clean them up.
http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies/Pr ... tId=385522
Anti-fatigue mats are also available at Home Depot

http://dairychh.com/mayomats/ Mayo mats are supposed to be non-slip.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”