Jeremy Steinberg Clinic in NJ - Sept.

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
musical comedy
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Jeremy Steinberg Clinic in NJ - Sept.

Postby musical comedy » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:41 am

Hey guys, one of his previously scheduled clinics was canceled and a lady here in NJ took the date. It is in Lambertville, NJ at a new facility with indoor/outdoor and great footing. I am only about 2-3 miles from there, and can give someone a free overnight stall if they wanted to attend.
Chisamba? It's only about 1.5 from you. Josette?

https://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/foru ... rtville-nj

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Re: Jeremy Steinberg Clinic in NJ - Sept.

Postby Ponichiwa » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:18 pm

What a kind offer, MC!

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:49 pm

MC, will you participate, too? It is a great offer :-D. And again, a great auditing opportunity if you are in the area.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:19 pm

piedmontfields wrote:MC, will you participate, too? It is a great offer :-D. And again, a great auditing opportunity if you are in the area.

I thought about it and would love to. But.... First off, my horse and I are not strong enough for a full clinic. I don't know if you read the sr. forum, but I and my horse were out of work for almost 6 months due to my illness. We've only been back 90 days now. The other thing is that I imagine the place will be swarmed with locals, and I am very self concious about my riding.

The lady holding the clinic is a very top rider. I imagine the clinic will fill with some of the best riders in the area. I will audit if it's allowed. I don't know if I can sit through all day like you do though. I get fidgety. I can't even spend more than one hour watching those on-line training videos.

I hope Chisamba considers this clinic because I'm pretty sure she can 'trust' Jeremy not to undo the good work she's done.

Josette

Postby Josette » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:30 pm

MC - thank you for the offer! I'm a lower level rider and my nerves alone would shut me down. However, I would be interested to audit it. I haven't been able to audit a clinic in a few years. This sounds like a wonderful opportunity! :) Thanks for posted it!

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:55 pm

It sounds like the clinic organizer is aware that she *needs to fill* the clinic. While it makes sense that many more experienced riders tend to fill clinics (it is often more of a priority for them), it is not at all unusual for a variety of levels to be represented. Talk to the organizer. Frankly, I would not assume any judgement from Steinberg about your horse's fitness (if they are back in work and presumably you could do a not crazy hard 40 minute ride) or about your level. He is truly OUTSTANDING with all levels and with addressing equitation. If you said "I don't have $225 a day to ride with Jeremy", I'd understand. LOL But I don't think being a non-FEI rider is a good reason to not participate.

So I'm seriously urging you NJ folks to consider the opportunity. I know that I have an incredibly long attention span (:-p) for auditing, etc. But if you know you learn best by doing (not watching) with trustworthy guidance, this is a fantastic chance. Just by auditing Jeremy and applying what he teachers my mare has improved so much. I absolutely would have ridden with him if I could have arranged a trailer ride--and I am a lower level (non FEI) rider who is short, grey and round, much like my mare :-D

Josette

Postby Josette » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:00 pm

I hear you. I really enjoy auditing as then I can really focus and absorb the details and information - take notes. I hope we can audit as I will certainly attend it.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:00 pm

I want to read your notes and impressions, Josette!

BTW, if I had my own personal groom, I would find clinics much easier (so I could not worry about travel/set-up/my horse and just audit before and after my ride).

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:58 pm

I called, the clinic hostess, MC and I may have to take you up on board.

I gave not confirmed but my only reservation is at 250 a ride, I've seen video of clinics where he spends more time talking to the audience and not so much time teaching

My only

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:27 pm

Chisamba wrote:I called, the clinic hostess, MC and I may have to take you up on board.

I gave not confirmed but my only reservation is at 250 a ride, I've seen video of clinics where he spends more time talking to the audience and not so much time teaching

My only
Oh good! It will be great to meet you. Did she list the price? For sure she will not be trying to make money on the fee. A lot of times organizers try to get their rides paid for by upping the clinic cost.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:54 pm

Chisamba, Jeremy talks * a lot*. However, he is talking about ideas/concepts/approaches which are relevant to the rider in front of him IME. He is not talking to auditors or spectators. He is focused on the rider, but seems to use his time talking theory/history/stories to give the rider time to try the approach he is suggesting. I think I like his teaching because you don't just do things once or twice, you spend some time on it. Personally, I find it somewhat relaxing and low key, as he is not "on top" of riders for every stride the whole lesson.

Note: You may have seen videos of him teaching a symposium, not a clinic. At a symposium, he is supposed to talk mostly to the audience, and the riders are there to provide illustration of more general teaching content. It's a different thing.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:31 pm

I asked the price of course. It's not unreasonable and I'm sure with airfare and hotel the hostess is not in it for profit.

I think the hostess is pricing adequately for her.

My reservation honestly is based on his teaching style, nor a criticism of her pricing.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:07 pm

Okay, put on my big girl britches and signed up for sure. put in a time off request for the night, and sold five sheep to pay for the fee.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:46 am

Chisamba wrote:Okay, put on my big girl britches and signed up for sure. put in a time off request for the night, and sold five sheep to pay for the fee.

:-D I hope you really enjoy it. We want to hear about it, whatever you think of it! Will you take Kimba?

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:06 pm

Yes I shall take Kimba. While Deneb is more talented and has settled somewhat, i am not as trusting of her when it gets right down to it and those are really my two options since i consider them to be "my" horses.

I did persuade my friend Lynne to sigh up for one session and come with me. She has a large splashy black and white oldenburg draft cross that I ride twice a week. I am hoping she enjoys and benefits from it too.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:31 pm

Kimba is a lovely mare! There is much to be said for taking the horse that helps *you* absorb the most from the experience--without undue worry. How nice that your friend will join you. I truly hope you both enjoy the experience and take home lots of useful ideas for future work.

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:09 am

Looks like the clinic may have been cancelled :(

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:12 pm

Yes, sadly the organizer broke her knee..

I ended up in the hospital last night for an emergency appendectomy

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:17 pm

:-0 Whoa---hope you are recovery, Chisamba. Big jingles to all.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:37 pm

Sorry to hear that Chisamba! I went thru that as a child... on Christmas day. :-(

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Postby Srhorselady » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:14 pm

Hope you are feeling better soon! take care of yourself.

Josette

Postby Josette » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:23 pm

Wishing you a speedy recovery. BTW - I tried the wrist turn key technique and got good results. I did have to drop the whip though but that was fine because pony was tuned in and listening. :)

Flight

Postby Flight » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:38 am

Chisamba - thats a bit unpleasant! Hope you're ok.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:00 am

Eek, Chisamba! Feel better soon.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:49 am

Apparently the little bit of blind intestine was gangrenous. However they removed it by laproscopic means, three small incisions, and I am a bit sore but feeling way better than before

Josette

Postby Josette » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:54 am

Laproscopic surgery is amazing what they can do now. Don't over do and feel better soon.

khall

Postby khall » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:27 pm

Heal quickly Chisamba! So glad they were able to do the surgery via lap and no perforation of the appendix.

cb06
Herd Member

Postby cb06 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:35 pm

Oh no! Speedy recovery Chisamba.

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:10 pm

Oh dear, things certainly didn't fall into place on this one. I hope you have a quick and easy recovery Chisamba.

Return to “Dressage Training”