UGH! MRSA infection

Chancellor
Site Admin

UGH! MRSA infection

Postby Chancellor » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:25 pm

So, a few weeks ago, I woke up with some swelling around my port where I get my chemotherapy. I thought the port had failed. Nope, turns out it was an infection. The covering doctor gave me some bactrim for a week. (My surgeon was away).
A week had gone by and the swelling was no better...back to the surgeon. This time I saw my surgeon. He gave me some clindamycin for a week.
A week went by and no better. I went back to see my surgeon's partner. He looked at it and said that it was no worse but no better and I had no fever so, he gave me Cipro for a week. That was a Friday.
Saturday night, I was cold but the temperature outside was fairly cool too. I went to bed and started shivering. My husband piled the blankets on me. I woke up Sunday morning feeling like Chemo Crash day. I went downstairs and promptly threw up. I sat on the couch and took my temperature. 102.
I waited 20 minutes because well, I had been under all those covers. Took my temperature again. 103. No, I couldn't possibly have a fever that high.
Took it again. Still 103. Now I had to get back upstairs to get my husband up to help me get to the hospital. I was dizzy but managed to make it upstairs.
We called the doctor on call and he had to call in someone else to meet us at the hospital.
I got to the hospital and was promptly whisked back where they started me on vancomycin. My port was still slightly swollen but not really remarkable. The covering doctor saw me and thought we could save the port if we did the vancomycin for a couple days. They were not completely convinced it was the port that was infected. They drew blood cultures.
Well, Sunday night, at 1 am (I guess Monday morning), they figured out they needed a second IV to give me more than one med. Really? We had to wait til 1 in the morning. They failed to get the IV and it hurt like a bastard. They decided it was okay to wait to give me my next Vancomycin late rather than get another IV.
Monday morning, my surgeon was back from vacation. He stopped in to see me and couldn't understand why I wasn't NPO so he could remove the port. He said "it has to come out". So, he made me NPO for Tuesday.
In the meantime, my blood cultures had started growing. It was staph. UGH. Luckily, that meant I only needed one IV. BUT the one IV I had was not looking great. So, they decided to access the port even if it was infected. That would give the IV site a chance to rest.
My surgeon came to see me Tuesday morning and said he would see me at 2:30. UGH! I went down to the OR at 2:30 only to find out he was running an hour and a half behind. That meant I had been without food for 24 hours.
But even worse, my IV had completely failed. They had to remove it. They stuck me five more times trying to find access and failed. I finally said I had had enough. My surgeon came to see me and said "That has to come out. You have MRSA". I said "I know, but what am I supposed to do". He said "Well, wait a minute, we can remove it under local anesthesia". Thank GOODNESS.
An hour later, he had basically ripped it out of me (it was so scarred down it was stuck in there good).
So, now I am on Zyvox which is a really strong antibiotic with a lot of restrictions. No aged cheeses. No cured meats. No alcohol.
Anyway, it's better than being in the hospital on Vancomycin. I am on this for two weeks and then once I have a clear blood culture, they will put the port back in.
Cancer is a bitch. Don't get it!

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: UGH! MRSA infection

Postby PaulaO » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:41 pm

Oh dear, I am so sorry. MRSA is a b!tch and I cannot believe the incompetence of getting your IV in. You will get better. Lots of powerful thoughts and well wishes coming your way.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:21 pm

{{Chancellor}}

I think of you often on this rough journey. Please keep us posted and know we are all pulling for you!

PaulaO, it may not be incompetence. When one's body isn't healthy, IVs can be very difficult to get started :(

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:25 pm

WheresMyWhite wrote:{{Chancellor}}

I think of you often on this rough journey. Please keep us posted and know we are all pulling for you!

PaulaO, it may not be incompetence. When one's body isn't healthy, IVs can be very difficult to get started :(

Yes, IVs can be tough to start. And goodness knows that I am a hard stick. It's not that they couldn't get it started that upsets me. It's that they figured out at 1am that I needed another one. I mean, you couldn't do it at 5pm the evening before?

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:47 pm

Chancellor - From one hard stick to another, I am so sorry that you are going through this!

Jingles and prayers for a quick recovery.

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:18 pm

I am forever humbled by the strength and courage of those fighting cancer. Many well wishes raining down upon you.

Josette

Postby Josette » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:08 pm

This is a miserable situation. May your trip through this Hell be brief. Wishing you a speedy recovery and minimal future sticks. (I am a horrible stick too. Once I was stuck 8 times in the same hand and mentally lost it.) :(

demi

Postby demi » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:40 pm

Well crap. ...I think of you often, too, as I have three close relatives fighting cancer right now. It's a hard fight but know that you have a lot of people pulling for you! Keep us updated as you are able. ((((chancellor))))

Flight

Postby Flight » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:42 pm

That sounds like no fun, sorry it took them so long to get you sorted. Hoping the infection clears up for you quickly.

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:02 am

Get better soon so you can come and play at the barn!!!

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:25 am

Antibacterial jingles coming your way. You have had more than enough medical misadventures and it needs to be over. I SAID SO!

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:00 pm

Hope you feel better!

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:31 pm

What a crappy update :-0 Glad that port is out and you are on serious drugs. Hang in!!

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:37 pm

piedmontfields wrote:What a crappy update :-0 Glad that port is out and you are on serious drugs. Hang in!!

I am so ready to say Goodbye to 2017 as the worst year of my life. AND, I was looking forward to doing it in December in St Maarten. Which now looks like it has been devastated by Irma. GAH!

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:36 pm

Oh, Chancellor, that really doesn't help a lot. I hope you are starting to feel a bit better, though I suspect the Good Drugs kick the crap out of you as well.

Best wishes from the Flaming West.

SnowHorse
Herd Member

Postby SnowHorse » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:26 pm

Big hugs!!
Face masks! Bandanas! Posters, mugs, cards etc - http://www.zazzle.com/okiepony/products -- Horses, cats, butterflies, Hummingbirds, quotes, sillies, patterns - everything!

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:23 pm

Jingles and hugs and prayers that MRSA is banished from your life! So sad about St. Maarten though; I hope you find a place you can go to recover your strength.

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:12 pm

Koolkat wrote:I am forever humbled by the strength and courage of those fighting cancer. Many well wishes raining down upon you.

This.

You will find another haven to rest and recover in this December. I love St. Maarten and am very sad to see the destruction. They will rebuild and recover. It's what we do as humans.

A gentle hug thrown in and doggy kisses from our Vizsla for you!!

Shirrine
Herd Member

Postby Shirrine » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:41 am

Next time they want to do a canula ask for a day onc nurse. They deal everyday with the same problem. Getting infections suck, hope they now have it under control.

Shirrine
Horses are meant to enjoy, so enjoy

Sunshine2Me
Herd Member

Postby Sunshine2Me » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:26 pm

I hope you are feeling much better!

M&M
Herd Member

Postby M&M » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:35 am

I am so, so sorry you are going through this. I knew you were having unpleasant complications, but I had missed the whole saga until now. Sending lots and lots of hugs, prayers and jingles!

LeoApp
Herd Member

Postby LeoApp » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:43 pm

I have not been on this board for a while. Hope you are doing better now. My father had hospital acquired MRSA it he had to stay in the hospital on IV AB's for weeks.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:51 pm

LeoApp wrote:I have not been on this board for a while. Hope you are doing better now. My father had hospital acquired MRSA it he had to stay in the hospital on IV AB's for weeks.

THANK GOODNESS there was an oral option for me. Zyvox worked like a charm as I had no IV access. Last night I had my final blood cultures taken to find out if the infection is gone for good.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:12 pm

Chancellor wrote:
LeoApp wrote:I have not been on this board for a while. Hope you are doing better now. My father had hospital acquired MRSA it he had to stay in the hospital on IV AB's for weeks.

THANK GOODNESS there was an oral option for me. Zyvox worked like a charm as I had no IV access. Last night I had my final blood cultures taken to find out if the infection is gone for good.

Great news, Chancellor. I am glad you got past this.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:51 pm

YIPPEE!!! No MRSA for our chancellor

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:11 pm

No no....we don't have the results yet. We need to wait 3-4 days for the blood cultures to prove it is gone. Then I can get another port installed and can continue with the herceptin treatments.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:46 pm

Oh I am sorry I misread that. I have my fingers crossed for you. My elderly aunt was able to overcome that bug so I bet you can too.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:28 pm

Chancellor, please post the culture results so we know we can officially celebrate! :)

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:16 pm

No bugs, m'lady!!

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:22 pm

I hope you are at least feeling better! Fingers crossed for buglessness.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:22 pm

Great news!

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”