Get out your winter boots - November/December Goals and Progress

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
StraightForward
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Get out your winter boots - November/December Goals and Progress

Postby StraightForward » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:06 pm

November 1, time for the next thread!

Miss Anna Banana is coming right along. I've been working on her lateral work, but in the half a lesson I got last weekend, my instructor pointed out that I was drawing my outside leg up too much. Fixing that, TOF and LY are suddenly way better, so I'm looking forward to improving that basic lateral work this 2-month period.

I've signed up for an online course with the Ritters that starts November 6th. Right now we're doing a 5-day exercises challenge, though I've only executed day one (single loops) so far. Finding it very helpful, though it's a time commitment to watch the videos and the live sessions fall right in the middle of my workday, so I usually can't watch them until after the fact.

I've also scheduled a lesson with a new local trainer for next week. My hope is to take Annabelle over there bi-weekly for the winter, and then put Pickl in part training with him for a few months in the spring to help with transitioning her back into my custody.

The biggest challenge as the weather turns cold and wet, is dealing with the no indoor situation, which really turns into a problem in late November most years, but I'm determined to keep chugging along. There is an indoor about 20 minutes away that we can haul to, but the hours of availability are pretty limited. We can also do in-hand work as long as it's not too icy

Specific goals for Annabelle:
Balanced 20m canter circles both directions with crisp T/C transitions - she currently leans in on her left shoulder quite a bit
Get LY in walk and trot without losing rhythm and connection
Once the W/T transitions are straighter, start H/T transitions
Better connection to the right rein!
Square halts
Keep calm and canter on.

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Re: Get out your winter boots - November/December Goals and Progress

Postby Rosie B » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:38 pm

Thanks for starting this again StraightForward!

My goals are as follows:
* Continue to ride at least 3 times a week despite the dark and cold.
* Continue to develop quality of gaits, every ride, with lots of transitions within and between gaits.
* Continue to improve travers, renvers, and HP
* Continue to improve the SI - do forward and back, and start SI entwickeln (See Dressage in Harmony by WAZ)
* Improve/consolidate simple changes so that I can do them anywhere.
* Counter canter of increasing difficulty
* (dare I put this in writing?) Start flying changes.

I have a clinic with Cindy Ishoy on Nov. 11/12 so I am hoping to maybe start the changes there.

Red's Mom
Novice

Postby Red's Mom » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:35 pm

I got some disturbing news a few days ago. I bought my horse, Red, 6 months ago from a horse trader who got him from a TB rescue. It turns out, he was supposed to have undergone rehab for a bowed tendon. He was sent to the rescue when he had just turned 3, the rescue only had him for about a month before giving him to the horse trader tom rehab, then find a home. The horse trader, was supposed to rehab him for 4-5 months. Instead she put him into a jumping program and he was sold to a beginner 2 months later as a jumper with the bow not being disclosed. However, on the day this beginner had the PPE on Red, he showed up with a splint. That person bought him anyway. That person found out from the original rescuer that he had a bowed tendon. He was returned to the horse trader, and put up for sale again. I then found him, had him vetted, bought him, where again, the bow was not disclosed. The original rescuer found me via fb a few days ago, and filled me in on the story!

The good news is that I was unaware of the bow, as it was not visible, the vet who did my PPE did not detect a bow. I didn't have X-rays or an ultra sound done, but he passed flexions and when asked, the vet didn't think X-rays were necessary. I have been riding him, and he has not been lame.

Regardless, I am concerned and not exactly sure how to progress. He got the bowed tendon about a year and a half ago. We have been working on basics in the arena. I am thinking I should slow down, and maybe just work on walk and trot under saddle for a while, and do some in hand stuff. I'm not in a hurry, but wondering how I should deal with this. Our goal for Nov-Dec was going to be to continue improving canter, now I am thinking there is a lot I can do with walk and trot. If he was your horse, how would you progress? I will try to post video of him moving in the round pen, so you can see how he is moving.
I really like Red, he has a sterling temperament, and I don't mind going slow. I'm still glad I bought him. Maybe I wouldn't have, if I had known about the bow? I don't want to have the vet out to do X-rays, but maybe I should? Like I said, he has been sound, and I want to keep him forever!
Last edited by Red's Mom on Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:34 pm

Oh, poor Red! I think I'd get some imagery done now and discuss a path forward with a good lameness/sports medicine vet, just for peace of mind. I suspect if he's going sound now, he'll be fine, but I'd still seek veterinary advice.

Back in the bad old days when a horse had to be near death to bother having the vet out, my gelding got a pretty significant low bow. I turned him out for six months and it healed to where it wasn't visible to the naked eye, I put him back to work without any special rehab program, and he was fine for the few years I kept track of him after selling him to go to college.
Keep calm and canter on.

Flight

Postby Flight » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:29 pm

Red's Mum, I'd get another vet consult and an ultrasound if I was really worried. But lots of horses recover well from a bowed tendon so he's probably fine.

Flying changes - start for sure Rosie!

It gets a bit hot for for riding but my goals will be working towards canter pirouettes and aim for Advanced next year.

exvet

Postby exvet » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:37 am

This time I'm going to join in; however, I'll have to start with the caveat that the house is supposed to be finished in 2 weeks and the barn started the first week of December so I'm not sure exactly how much riding I'll accomplish running back and forth between the two places. By the end of December I'm hoping to have Junior out on a trail ride. I'm going to continue on our current path of instilling the basics and hope to work with him an average of 3 times a week (so far it's just been twice a week). The mustang will definitely be finding his way out on the trail more since I have company coming over the winter/early spring - many people - and he is my 'other' horse for anyone to ride. Once my other house is done, I'll have an opportunity to ride in a huge arena that will allow me to work on the mustang's stamina at the canter and really get in some serious riding in where I can do more with dressage exercises, at least once a week. Hopefully the barn will be done before the end of December and I can start that endeavor in earnest. I'm still hoping to get Junior out to a few schooling shows just to hang out and get used to the atmosphere. That will depend on my daughter's agenda with the studly. My sincere hope is that someday we'll be able to do a pas de deux at a schooling show with Jr and Pop - they are so similar.

DJR
500 post plus club

Postby DJR » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:02 am

This is a hard time of year for me because of three things:
(a) work is very busy through October & November typically, and this year is no different so far;
(b) the weather deteriorates both in terms of colder temperatures but also it gets rainy/wet & dreary, and I don't have an indoor yet I prefer not to board my horses where there is an indoor until mid-December or January (to save money);
and (c) the sun goes down FAR too early, and daylight savings time (which starts this weekend) makes that worse.

Because of that, I typically find it hard to stay motivated to ride.

My competing interest, though, is that I want to ride down centerline in a GP test. That is my goal. And that goal CANNOT be realized if I don't get out and ride! Both in terms of continuing the training on my horses, but more basically in terms of keeping them (and me) fit enough to make progress.

So, that being said, my overall goals in the next two months are:
-to ride four times a week whenever possible (unless the weather is absolutely awful)
-to continue with monthly 2-day lessons from my fab instructor
-to continue working on *my* fitness by losing more weight & improving my own conditioning

My goals with Jet are:
-improve his fitness, particularly his canter fitness
-work on collected & medium gaits (which will help with his fitness/strength)
-continue to work on improving his flying changes

My goals with Panache are:
-work on his medium & collected trot, which he's just starting to learn
-establish more straightness in the canter
-canter-walk & walk-canter transitions, emphasizing "sit" and throughness particularly with downward transitions

And, finally, my goal with my daughter's large pony, Sawyer, is to do a training ride on him once a week or at the minimum of biweekly.
formerly known as "Deanna" on UDBB -- and prior to that, as "DJD".

khall

Postby khall » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:34 am

I'm in and with a healthy horse (mostly)! Scoped Rip today and he is still looking good and going very well. Still on throat spray 3 Xs week, scope again in 2 months next time with no sedation to get full look at upper airway health. Still slight webbing across the airway, a little more than last time but nothing that will affect him and it does not seem to. I'm trying to decide if Rip's breathing is louder than it used to be and comparing it to my other horses. I just don't know and I am super sensitive to him at this point! A bit paranoid so yes I can sympathize with dresseur and mountaineer waiting for the other shoe to drop or him to sneeze wrong:) For those of you who were not following earlier this year Rip was diagnosed with equine nasopharyngeal cicatrix syndrome NCS, an upper airway issue from unknown causes suspected fungal allergic response from Bermuda pastures, not supposed to be in my area middle GA. Can be life threatening but my vet found help from DVM in Austin, TX. Manage it with throat spray (furacin, DMSO, dex) and pred if needed.

At this point though nothing is inhibiting him in his work in any way, he is happily WTC with all the fun stuff and what is great for me is he is offering canter now, not something was normal for him. He is stronger and more energetic with the training he has on him now.

My goals is to ride/work him at least 5 Xs a week (combo of US which is in arena and out in field with trot sets for fitness, in hand and lunging just a bit because it is fun to watch him go:)

Increase piaffe work, get ground help here for developing it and passage, start FCs, play with CP. Use HI in canter on circles to build strength in the HQs for CP and FCs. Try to develop more medium/extended trot from the collection. Continue with double bridle work. Have fun at my clinic later this month with Jillian!

Gaila, Rip's full sister. Get her going well back US and try to sell her.
Juliet (my friend's TB/Perch) get her back US and try to sell her as well. Not a good match for older tiny AA rerider. Lovely moving mare though.
Joplin my Luso X filly. Get her out and play with her some. Maybe haul her off for outing or two. At least get her saddled even if I don't get on her this year. No rush, she is just a 3 yr old.

I've thought about trying to hit a schooling show, but just nothing has worked out for it yet. Too much going on with DS as a senior this year. Maybe next year and next year I host Jillian:)!!

Happy riding all! We are enjoying the cooler weather though supposed to be 80 over the weekend, ugh. Need to clip hairy beast!!

Anne
Herd Member

Postby Anne » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:36 am

StraightForward, would you mind sharing which Ritter course you signed up for, and I'd be really interested to hear how you find it? The 'testimonials' on his website make the courses sound very good (naturally!), but it would be super to hear directly from someone actually doing them...

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:30 am

You poor North Americans. Is now a good time to tell you that my next few months will be sunny and hot, with afternoon thunderstorms to cool things down a few times a week? :lol:

Goals for me:
1) Continue yoga and pilates, all in the service of getting my neck better.
2) So much lateral work, particularly HP.
3) And still, the changes...
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

Gwen
Herd Member

Postby Gwen » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:56 am

Goals:

Get back to first level work by the end of December.

We’ve started Legend injections, and we will also probably inject her neck next month when we will (hopefully) be solidly cantering and ready for more. In the meantime I’m to continue with the carrot stretches and belly lifts.

On the plus side Callie looks amazing. Her coat is absolutely gleaming and she’s developing a beautiful topline.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:16 pm

Anne wrote:StraightForward, would you mind sharing which Ritter course you signed up for, and I'd be really interested to hear how you find it? The 'testimonials' on his website make the courses sound very good (naturally!), but it would be super to hear directly from someone actually doing them...

Yes, I enrolled in the What, Why How 1.0 and 2.0 courses (package deal). The enrollment closes on Saturday, I think if you want to join.

I've been in their free popup group for a few weeks, which have had discussion, live web meetings on specific topics (I usually can't join live because of time zone differences), and free PDFs for exercises or concepts. I finally got stirrup stepping concept described after getting raked over on the old board for asking about it :lol: Today is day 4 of the 5-day exercises challenge (also free), so you could probably get into that Facebook group today and get a good idea of whether the content would be useful to you. There are riders of all different levels in there, and they structure it so no one's excluded, but the few upper level riders seem to be getting value out of it too. I think it will be a good complement to in-person lessons since there's never enough time to delve into detail and theory during a 45 minute lesson, even if the instructor could explain it.
Keep calm and canter on.

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:27 pm

My goals are to keep progressing the rehab on Miro and to not get bucked off. He's very, VERY lightly under saddle, and by that I mean we walk 4 laps of the arena, trot 8 long sides (walk the short sides) and have just added 2 full laps (so 4 long sides and 4 short sides) in each direction. He's been sane, and on the days he's not, I can do the work in hand... but yesterday someone came blasting into the arena without calling door and I was right at the entrance so it surprised the hell out of the poor boy, who promptly turned into a beach ball and started bucking. Luckily it was short-lived and didn't really come close to shaking me loose. But of course I was terrified that it would tweak something.

For Gala, I think I mentioned that we started working on GP exercises in earnest. Specifically, the transitions in and out of the collected work. Changes are of course an on-going endeavor. I was hoping to do another i-1 test, but we're wait-listed, so, we'll see.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:57 pm

So, i have started working on counter canter with Kimba. She will counter canter in small loops, but if i ask her to pick up the counter canter, she just will not, so the obvious tell is that she is cantering based on where she is in the arena, rather than what shape i have her and which legs i am using. Its funny how when you start to ask for something new, you find out what foundation needs improving.

So goals, Keep Kimba progressing toward solid second level for showing next year. Hoping that working third, showing second is the general ideal for this

Trying to get Deneb a solid second level so i can take her out and show her first next year.

i am really busy rehabbing two client horses. Having gone years and years without any soundness issues, suddenly I have two tendon injuries I am rehabbing. Sigh.

Since i love daylight saving time, i get depressed when normal time resumes in November. I struggle just a little with SAD, so my goal is to not allow the lack of sunlight to affect my goals and weightloss regimen

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:58 pm

My November started on just the right note (except that Kiwi and friends went cavorting through their 10acre pasture when I was trying to catch her for a ride). Really pleasant trail ride after I finally caught her. We turfed up a quail and tackled some rougher brush like a seasoned trailhorse.

These 8 weeks, I'll work on:
- Riding 4x/week
- Playing with changes in bend/stride length/direction in the canter to expand the no-change zone, as it were.
- Touch half-steps twice a month
- For myself: 15k steps/day. Choose salads. Breathe.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:21 pm

My goal for Nov/Dec is just to ride both horses at least a couple times a week. This time of year I focus more on maintaining fitness for both my horses and myself, so there will probably be a lot of riding the roads, depending on the weather of course.

I rode Rudy last evening in the wind, but it got too dark to ride Tio safely even though the wind had dropped to a breeze. He seemed disappointed that I didn't saddle him too! I took Rudy out to the hay field for his warm-up and trotted for roughly a mile (maybe a bit more) which he quite enjoyed. While I was out there, Tio some how unbuckled his halter--he was still standing where I'd tied him but sans halter. :lol: Rudy's hp's are getting better and better due to, I think, interspersing si to keep him square over all four limbs. Maybe the si keeps me properly centered in the saddle too, I don't know. Anyways, he is beginning to reach out more as we go "sideways", so while I cannot see what his body is doing, I believe he is crossing over better. Also, he keeps the same tempo, same neck length etc, which I know is good. I even experimented with doing a shallow hp while asking for "long and low" to see if he could do it without losing the stretch over his topline. Amazingly, he did it to the right with ease, not so much to the left, but I think that was my lack of coordination, not his.

Red's mom, I think I would just avoid going down hill in anything other than the trot for a few months, but other than that, I don't think I would change anything. The stronger and more balanced you get him in walk and trot, the easier the canter will be; so your idea of focusing on wt is a good one. The canter will be there when you and he are ready. If he likes to jump or go over cavelletti, I would still do that so long as they are 18" or less.

demi

Postby demi » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:02 pm

Rocky gets hyper at our lessons and I end up getting too restrictive in the reins, especially the inside rein. Trainer pointed this out but I couldn’t control my underlying emotions enough to let go enough. The symptom was that Rocky was hopping up with her hind end in trot to walk transitions. We worked on the transitions until she stopped the behavior by not letting her walk, but going right back up to trot, every time she hopped up. This improved the situation, but I was still holding too much.

Sooo, my goal for the “winter boot” thread is to RELAX.

I think part of the nerves will go away as we get several more lessons behind us, but additionally I started working on it at home today. I rode on a longer rein than usual, but not so long that I felt she could get out of control if she spooked or just got sassy. I concentrated on doing the transitions from my seat while “planting” my hands on her neck so I couldn’t use them, other than to close my fingers a little more. We had plenty of nice smooth transitions and started to feel more confident. This is not a matter of learning something new. I know how to do it right and so does my body. I just need to get myself back in order.

And two more goals for this thread are:

ride 5 times a week, or lunge if weather is really bad

continue with weekly lessons

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:07 am

Of course today Miro showed me that his spook and buck was not a one-off. It didn’t unseat me, but he was bucking full out, two separate times. I need to rethink riding him in this rehab. I may need clinical help since I do not want to start longing and at some point I won’t be able to do all of it in hand. The LAST thing I want is for bucking to become a thing he knows he can do- because he’s pretty darn good at it :/

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:50 am

Had a lovely jumping lesson this morning. Two relatively uneventful flying changes. In the one he changed behind first, before sorting the front end out, but he kept going straight, in a even rhythm, so that for me is a win. Anything where he doesn't kick up and twist is a bonus at this point.

Here is a video of us going through the gymnastic line: https://youtu.be/q20xWUcyuMw
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

Flight

Postby Flight » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:29 am

Well Ding's pranged his tendon again and is lame. It swells a bit and I've had an ultrasound and the tendon itself is ok, but he gets swelling in the tendon sheath. Anyway, the other day I took both horses out together in the float and now Ding has suddenly got separation anxiety and when I took the other horse for a lesson this morning, he was off his face galloping around the paddock, striking, rearing, bucking - all on his bad leg. He's never done that before, so I'll have to lock the bugger up.

Dresseur, oh Miro must be feeling good too. They are silly things! Yes, you don't want him to thing bucking is ok.

Mari, super jumping through that line!!! He didn't miss a beat.

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:44 am

Flight - so sorry to hear! Lame horses are the worst... Good luck!

khall

Postby khall » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:38 pm

Mari nice line! Looks like fun!!

Flight oh man so sorry about Ding! Yes these horses can be careless with themselves, enough to make you want to beat your head on a brick wall.

Dresseur can you pony Miro? Years ago I had a 4 yr old TB mare that I was rehabbing from tweaking a tendon and that is what I did to exercise her without lunging and without having to get on young horse that was stall bound. That is until I decided to skip the ponying and climb on, yeah that did not end well! 6 days in ICU with 2 collapsed lungs, no broken bones though. So be careful:)

Forgot to ad that I am also trying to lose weight, have lost about 10 lbs so far. Right now it is just with diet, going off sugar, dairy and grains. I hope to ad in some working out as well and should be able to here shortly I hope. Some yoga/piyo.

I also wanted to encourage anyone this winter who wants to use in hand when riding is iffy to do so. I can see so much positive from this summer of in hand work and not much riding because of the heat and how it has helped all the horses we worked this way. Heat coming back this coming week with temps in the mid 80's, ugh have to get the body clippers out for my fuzzy ponies. One of those jobs I despise, ick.

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:26 pm

Oh Flight, that's awful news. I'm so sorry!!!

Khall, I've never tried to pony Miro, we don't have many horses at our barn that would tolerate that safely either. I'm just going to do the work in hand. Since I ride alone 99.9% of the time, it's too risky for me to chance him deciding to be a bronc.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:37 pm

First jingles to Ding for healing and to all for horses to avoid hurting themselves or their riders!!

I think my main goal for this period is just be a more consistently quiet rider. I'm not "that" loud, but every time I deliberately quiet my torso and keep my upper and lower body integrated and hands close together, Emi is more consistent in the connection, more engaged, and finds everything easier (including changes and mediums).

The related goal is to always focus on gait quality before movements. I've been beginning to understand that this year, and the payoffs are very interesting. For example, after being quiet and focused on really pushing the medium canter to maintain good state last night, canter half pass the hard way was both easy and had some expression. Go figure.

So maybe my real goal is to ride quietly while also pushing at the gaits/pushing for increased engagement! (push may not be the right word here)

cb06
Herd Member

Postby cb06 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:05 pm

Oh Flight. :(

We took a little downtime last month after show season, and I also moved boarding barns (old owner just getting out and selling property). Will is now a little closer and I will have an indoor for winter for the first time! So, Yay! The other good thing about the new barn is a very, very big outdoor ring with good footing, and good fields and trails to add variety in our training.

We just started back riding a little more in earnest this past week. My goals for the next couple months are to work on fitness (his and mine) and improving the quality of the canter with an eye to start working on lines of changes.
I've started with just transitions, many, many of them, mostly trot/canter and also within gaits trying to keep shoulder fore and over his back (he likes to hollow when it gets hard). I use lots of breaks and don't keep at it too long because I know it is hard (for both of us) and I'd rather have 15 minutes good work than 30 minutes of 'eh'.
We are also mixing in some days of hills (trot/canter transitions and lateral work on hills).
Our biggest additions are starting a lot more counter-canter work (figure eights), and some canter half-pass to canter leg-yield and also really trying to be straight in all of our transitions and work.

Any other suggestions to improve strength/quickness in canter?

I need to work on riding much more precisely and have plans to start back into regular(ish) lessons (monthly at least) as I can fit/afford them.

Oh, and I window shopped/drooled over a really nice 5 yr old gelding that is currently for sale within driving distance...he was a nice enough young prospect to have me assessing how much room in bank account for second horse...Lol!
Not enough room yet...darn it!

New view

khall

Postby khall » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:20 pm

cb HI in canter on the circle is great for engagement and strengthening. Did this a good bit in Spain in prep for FCs and CP. On my to do list with Rip.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:02 pm

Last edited by Ryeissa on Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:25 pm

Dresseur, before you go the pharmaceutical route, you might try Smartpak's Tranquility. It's helping us a lot. He's not a zombie, but he's also not trying to actively kill me on a regular basis. He gets it in his dinner, usually about an hour before I get on. It's relatively cheap, too.

Flight, well damn it. Ding, stop being an idiot!

My goal is to keep on keeping on with the rebab thing. We are up to 35 minutes total including 4 circuits of the indoor at a trot in each direction. He feels nice and solid and even. Vet will come back in 4 weeks or so to recheck, and then we'll see if we get cleared to canter a bit.

Hot4Spots
Herd Member

Postby Hot4Spots » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:00 pm

Ah, well, so DST is ending and we're heading into winter, though admittedly, a California winter, at least in the SF Bay Area, is more wet than cold. So. My beloved beastie is STILL not 100%, but last ultra sound showed improvement. There's some calcification, so you can't entirely see ALL the ligament strands, but it is looking better. We were up to 24 straight sides of the arena (8 minutes, perhaps?) at trot. Not all at once. Vet now says she wants to see him in a month, and in the interim, I should do two complete laps of the arena in each direction, then two laps at a lengthened trot, or alternatively to the lengthened trot, four trots up our graveled driveway. And of course, as much walk as needed to fill in the difference. Since daylight is fading - and will be gone by Monday when I get to the barn after work - the driveway work will have to wait for the weekends. Last night, he was very amiable, steady in the bridle and going nicely. But when I asked him for the lengthening, his enthusiasm was a bit over the top! :shock: The vet said "lengthening" not a real extension. I don't know if it WAS a REAL extension, but day-um he was down the long side in what felt like about 5 strides. I managed to keep it a bit more under wraps for the remaining lap-and-a-half of the arena. Hoping this is a good sign - assuming of course that he doesn't re-injure (again) because he's so over-eager to DO something.

Since we're just past Halloween, I thought I'd add this pic. It's from 2014 actually - a Halloween schooling show that occurred during the 2014 World Series. I"ve lost a bit of weight since then, but I still think it's a cute picture of the horse, at least. Please note that HE is also wearing "eye black" under his eyes. I found duct tape with the SF Giants logo on it, and put it on my helmet, his "wrist bands" and my saddle pad. Judge stood up and instead of saluting, said "Go Giants!" :lol:
Attachments
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg (165.25 KiB) Viewed 22195 times

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:28 am

I remember and still love your Halloween post, Hots4spots!

I look forward to everyone's updates. Be well, be safe, and enjoy the adventure.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:50 am

Flight wrote:Well Ding's pranged his tendon again and is lame. It swells a bit and I've had an ultrasound and the tendon itself is ok, but he gets swelling in the tendon sheath.

Sorry to hear this. There is a horse at my barn who has this same diagnosis. She will go to the vet hospital for more imaging. She has no obvious injury but her tendon sheath gets fluid and it swells. She is off on it.

Can you please let me know how your horse does so I can pass it along?

Best of luck.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:22 am

Well it's been a tough and hectic week work-wise but I came home and was at least able to get on and ride Junior. It was the first time he's been ridden at night in a lighted arena. Considering the number of things he could have taken exception to and spooked at and the fact that the other two were eating while i had the audacity to make him work.....he did pretty well LOL. Of course we're only waling and trotting and figuring out where to put everything but I figure anytime I don't hit the dirt in an unplanned launch it's all good ;)

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:38 pm

Oh my, we are off the waitlist and in the show!! :shock:
Here’s to hoping I can ride a cleaner test than last time, I just want to not choke in the changes! :lol: :lol:

Abby Kogler
Herd Member

Postby Abby Kogler » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:41 pm

Love the goals and photos, thanks for sharing all.

I am done with the crazy October commitments that kept me from riding at all after the Bertrand clinic. The November goals is to ride two horses a day (I have four), refine my in-hand work, continue to strengthen my weak left leg, start work over jumps/grids. Barring any more deaths, crises, or injuries, I am going to compete in 2018.

Waiting for my Soloshot so cant wait to chronicle the progress!

Really enjoying all y'all's posts and photos.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:32 pm

So I rode Nov 1 and 2, yay! Yesterday was kid and church obligations (cooked 2 turkeys for harvest dinner, then helped serve and after soccer awards banquet, ds and I came back to help clean up.) so I couldn't ride and, of course, today it is snowing. :lol:

I am very pleased (still) with Tio's progress. He has gone from balky, kick-on horse to enthusiastic, move-on horse. Amazingly, he gets rushy at the trot now, where before I had to beg him to get out of a jog. Also, now when he rushes, I can give a couple hh and turn it into a little cadence instead. Downward transitions are now a light squeeze on the reins and lifting of my chest, upwards transitions are a light squeeze (or even brush) of my leg and forward lift of pelvis. He can still get fussy and even impatient but now he is impatient to get to work instead of seeking ways to do less. Also when he powered up Thursday, his neck did not harden and his back stayed swinging; makes the power-ups fun instead of concerning.

Flight, HFS, Dresseur, Moutaineer, Gwen and whomever else I forgot...healing jingles for your horses. Linden, nice to see you riding again

Piedmont, being as quiet a rider as I possibly can has been my focus for a couple of years now, and I can see benefits to both of my horses. Actually, if I start getting the urge to be handsy or wiggly, I know now that I must revamp and figure out why my horse isn't having the desired response to my aides. This works even for the green bean Tio. Most of the time, it is an issue of not being truly forward, but sometimes, with Rudy, it's that he is not truly bending his short little body and therefore not properly engaging 1 hind leg.

Demi, congrats on finding a trainer to match your needs and on your progress with Rocky.

ETA: I forgot to mention my ride on Rudy Nov 2. Our big accomplishment was to stay "on the aides" and "through" despite a wild Tom turkey wandering in and out of the arena displaying his beautiful feathers every time we passed by. :shock:

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:41 pm

Sue B wrote:ETA: I forgot to mention my ride on Rudy Nov 2. Our big accomplishment was to stay "on the aides" and "through" despite a wild Tom turkey wandering in and out of the arena displaying his beautiful feathers every time we passed by. :shock:

:shock: yes, that is quite an accomplishment!

demi

Postby demi » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:45 pm

Rode 5 times this week. I am feeling stronger. I notice that I catch myself slumping several times during the day and I immediately correct myself. Shoulders back and down, straighten up. Rocky is cooperative for the most part. Yesterday she didn't hop her butt up at all during the trot-walk transitions. Today she only did it once and that was close to the end of the ride after I had given her a long rein break and she though she was done.

I've started cantering again at home and can get at the most 1 and 1/2 20m circles before she tries to take the reins and starts to speed up. The canter is very balanced and collected (before she tries to take over) so I am guessing it isn't easy for her. In our lessons she has taken this canter on her own and I always quickly bring her back to walk. Trainer says "go with it! It's a lovely canter and you're so balanced!" but I can't "go with it". I experimented with it today . Some of this may be a strength/timing issue on my part, also. I just can't slow her with my back/core when she starts to speed up. So if I don't transition back to trot while things are still "lovely", I end up bringing her back with my hands :(

I won't ride her tomorrow, and then we have another lesson on Monday. I will talk about it with the trainer. Maybe she'll ride her.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:59 am

Jeeze Flight, I hope Ding is OK. Hopefully he'll calm TF down and heal up!

Dresseur, same for Mirro. Obie was on restricted movement for several months as a 3/4 year old and it was Not Fun.

Mari, Odin is quite the jumping machine. What a cool horse.

Sue, I am probably going out to Jerome sometime this week since I'm off; I'll let you know.

Annabelle has been rather off - I think she is out in her pelvis/hips somewhere. It's not presenting as limb lameness since she'll trot out soundly on the lunge, and under saddle for five minutes or so, then start getting uneven. She seems comfortable cantering as well. I probably need to cancel my Tuesday lesson, but really don't want to. On the up side, I'm getting a lot out of the free portions of the Ritters' course, so I'm looking forward to the "real" thing starting on Monday. I might even press Obie into service and try doing some of the exercises with him at walk. That much he can handle, though he'll probably wonder WTF is happening after 2+ years of full retirement. I hauled to the indoor to ride today and was happy to see that my posture in the saddle has improved a lot since this spring. I think it's due to the Fluidstance board I have at work, plus regularly doing overhead squats and a deadlift-correction exercise. The shoulderblades are pretty well back and down as a default, yay. We walked lots of loops and voltes in today's session, and started getting A out to the right rein with a fair bit of honesty at the walk. I can't wait until she's right again and we can try for it at the trot. Her canter is also getting better. She now picks up her right lead consistently, and can do a relaxed canter on the lunge. The left lead she is leaning less, and things are getting a little more organized, but still rather rushed. I expect it to improve a lot as she finds the right rein more and more.
Keep calm and canter on.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:58 pm

Kimba has been exceptionally fresh with the weather change, doing things she is not usually inclined to do, little half rears, and what i call one beat canter, where they pronk and bounce. however once she settles in to work, about twenty minutes later, she has been so rideable and adjustable, the best i have ever felt on her. So i have learned a couple of things, she actually does better with a slightly longer warm up, and the cold weather has taught us that,

Deneb is working really well, a little inclined to toss her head when asked to do lateral work or come off the leg, and sometimes she objects to being asked to slow down.

RIght now my most difficult ride is Acacia not because she is dangerous or difficult, but because she is still very inconsistent. She bulges against the leg, is not consistent in the contact, and wants to speed up or slow down quite a lot. However she has such moments of fabulous feel and look that i really hope that at some time she is more comfortable with being consistent.

I am still spending so many minutes icing legs, hand walking and rehabbing of two client horses that it really is cutting in to good riding time. I have also had an increase in lessons, which is a good thing, but time management can be complicated.

DJR
500 post plus club

Postby DJR » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:51 pm

I haven't ridden my horses in a week because of the crappy weather (tons of rain here, and cold, too).

In the meantime, though, I went to see my 3-yr-old who has had one month of work to date. He is by Sir Wanabi (Hanoverian) out of my purebred Shire mare. He has been carrying weight in the saddle for the last week or so, and today the trainer was able to sit on his back three separate times without any fuss. He's still a bit worried about it, hence the very slow introduction, but he's coming along beautifully.

I haven't uploaded the longeing videos from today, but here are a few pictures.

Getting ready to longe.
2017Nov05 Finn_1.jpg
2017Nov05 Finn_1.jpg (50.76 KiB) Viewed 22013 times

Walk.
2017Nov05 Finn_2.jpg
2017Nov05 Finn_2.jpg (59.81 KiB) Viewed 22013 times

Trot.
2017Nov05 Finn_3.jpg
2017Nov05 Finn_3.jpg (50.79 KiB) Viewed 22013 times

He has three very nice gaits and both the trainer and I are excited about his potential. He's very light on his feet and his trot is developing beautifully. He also has a nice walk & canter. I can't wait until I'm riding him!
formerly known as "Deanna" on UDBB -- and prior to that, as "DJD".

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:24 am

DJR wrote:I haven't ridden my horses in a week because of the crappy weather (tons of rain here, and cold, too).

In the meantime, though, I went to see my 3-yr-old who has had one month of work to date. He is by Sir Wanabi (Hanoverian) out of my purebred Shire mare. He has been carrying weight in the saddle for the last week or so, and today the trainer was able to sit on his back three separate times without any fuss. He's still a bit worried about it, hence the very slow introduction, but he's coming along beautifully.

I haven't uploaded the longeing videos from today, but here are a few pictures.

Getting ready to longe.
2017Nov05 Finn_1.jpg

Walk.
2017Nov05 Finn_2.jpg

Trot.
2017Nov05 Finn_3.jpg

He has three very nice gaits and both the trainer and I are excited about his potential. He's very light on his feet and his trot is developing beautifully. He also has a nice walk & canter. I can't wait until I'm riding him!

wow. time flies, i remember when you bred her. he looks nice

demi

Postby demi » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:03 am

demi wrote:Im on track for 5 rides a week. Our lesson was very satisfying on Monday but it is still taking a long time for Rocky to get calm and relaxed enough to get the really nice work out of her. Fortunately, the trainer is super good about knowing how to get us going well.

DDBBer, Fireantranch, brought her beautiful mare over on Tuesday and we did a little trail ride. Our mares got along very nicely and I'm looking forward to more trail rides together.

I rode in the arena today and Rocky was really good. Relaxed and cooperative. It was cool and overcast all day, and I had to push myself to ride. If I stick to my five days a week (unless it is pouring or sleeting) it will make going to the lessons when winter weather comes seem easier. Plus, keeping Rocky in the habit of working will also make lessons during the winter easier.

Duh. I posted this in the Sept/Oct thread instead of Nov/Dec. Don’t know exactly how to move it but this works....

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:56 pm

Demi, you have really been doing well with your program and regular riding! I am a big believer in consistent work, as I think it is better for both me and my horse.

In that spirit, I share Emi dressed in her new winter riding gear:
dressed for winter.JPG
dressed for winter.JPG (122.27 KiB) Viewed 21867 times

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:37 pm

Okay, back from vacation and ready to join in! Since P has had two weeks off and the weather went cold while I was away I'm going to take my time getting her back into regular work over the next couple of weeks.

Since the freezing weather also means we have to move into a very small indoor which needs some work on the footing (I'm hoping that will happen soon or has already happened now that everyone has to move inside) my goals are going to be:
- Incorporating many many more transitions into our work, which I was getting great results with just before I left
- Continue working on my position. Specifically getting my leg more solid and under me as well as shoulders back and quiet hands
- Off horse workouts, stretching and healthier eating to try lose some weight and help my hips. They tend to get extra stiff in the winter, probably partially because I sit on my behind more, so hoping to keep that to a minimum

Linden16
Herd Member

Postby Linden16 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:26 pm

Such a fun thread. I just had my first lesson with my two yesterday. We are taking them back to square one as they are finally adjusted to the arena and the farm. It's a very spooky arena, one of the spookiest indoors I have ridden in, so I have been just letting them cruise around and get adjusted to their new life.

With the black horse we determined the best position for his contact and frame, and are training him to remain up and open and pulling on the contact, while encouraging his hind legs to get quicker. This all helps him move through the back and topline, as he tends to be a leg mover and not a back mover. Of course when he gets tense or rough in the contact my first instinct is to take that tension out of his contact by using a flexion, and then sending him forward, but instead my coach has me just allowing the pushiness in the bridle, letting him get heavier if it is in a higher open frame, and at that moment pushing him forward into that contact. It teaches him to use his hindlegs to send the bit and my elbows forward. When he can remain in a steady trot and with this nice contact, we started doing tiny little transitions, more forward in the corners, or past scary areas in the arena, and then coming back. This teaches him to go forward and being me along with him past questionable areas or when he gets tense, as opposed to sucking back and me using my lateral aids to try to push him back towards what he is shying at. That tactic would never work because he is so big and I am so little.

With the mare she is even more basic - get her calm and relaxed from the first step once I am in the saddle, not by going forward and shoving her into a big walk, but by turning. turning each way, circling etc, because when she is cold backed there is no way I can just push or kick her into anything, she will just buck and get even tighter. Letting the figures move her middle body instead of physically pushing on her to do the same, lets her let go and breathe while not also training her top be dull to my nagging leg, or to become even more humpy or stilted from the reaction to stimulus on her sides.

Once she is relaxed with a nice loose tail and her walk evens out, we work on the trot, keeping her up and open and never bringing the bit backwards. With her we also have to really concentrate on when she turns left, that instead of bringing her left shoulder straight ahead or even back and towards the right, drifting the right shoulder out and tilting her head, she has to step forward and to the left, her feet and nose have to follow my left rein to the left. She turns right really well, it's super easy for her, but she is tight on the left so I have to be absolutely aware of how she is stepping and using that side of her body.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:23 pm

Last edited by Ryeissa on Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:44 pm

Kimba is really beginning to understand balance better. I am sure you do not remember because it was a while ago that i realized when she got really heavy in the bridle, I had to re balance her. The result of this is a straighter horse with who is more easy to adjust. I have also realized i do need to give her more time to warm up, she starts to work really well just about when I think I am done with the ride, so the challenge this winter is to increase my own fitness to keep up with her increased capacity and the challenge of course is to ride her to the higher level this winter.

Deneb has not done anything dramatically scary for a few months, and so i am becoming optimistic about showing her, however we really do need to get more consistent. Any time she we start or finish a move she tends to hollow, so keeping her consistently through in transitions is the current challenge.

Meanwhile the donkey i rescued from the auction lot finally has normal feet and today he let me pick his feet without even having to put the halter on. He is such a charmer.

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:31 am

Tomorrow and Sunday we’re off to the Cindy Ishoy clinic! I’m so excited. Here’s Bliss enjoying his pre clinic primping. He’s a little fuzzy. :lol:
Attachments
70C6218E-5A04-4D4F-9DE0-52A794A288D2.jpeg
70C6218E-5A04-4D4F-9DE0-52A794A288D2.jpeg (114.26 KiB) Viewed 21803 times

demi

Postby demi » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:18 pm

Good luck, Rosie! Have fun!

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:00 pm

Well, this is happening! I'm being VERY careful, and I trust the little shit as far as I can throw him, which is not far, now that he's not so little. :lol: :lol:

But, I'm so, so happy to be up on him for a bit at a time, as his royal shitness allows. I'm supposed to start longing soon, very carefully, and not for long. But he's doing 8 long sides, and 4 consecutive laps at this point with zero issue, and as he gets fitter, I will NOT be able to ride through his shenanigans. Right now, I've been doing the in hand work to make sure he's paying attention, and then doing the consecutive laps under saddle. What continues to worry me is that he's very, very busy in his mouth, especially at the walk. He always had a very quiet mouth (chewing softly, not gnashing or opening his mouth which is what he's doing now). At the trot, he's quiet as usual, so I'm hoping that as his tension subsides, this goes away. I've adjusted the bridle since he grew, and that helped, but other than that, I'm thinking it's just tension from stall rest and that he wants to go! I'm trying my best to ride him up to the bridle when I feel that he's not explosive, but right now, I've got him under wraps - safety first :/
I'm tickled, however, to see that my feet no longer go below his belly - he grew A LOT!
IMG_2706.jpg
IMG_2706.jpg (101.25 KiB) Viewed 21763 times

IMG_2707.jpg
IMG_2707.jpg (117.47 KiB) Viewed 21763 times

IMG_2702.jpg
IMG_2702.jpg (105.43 KiB) Viewed 21763 times

Return to “Dressage Training”