Would you allow the intentional infliction of pain/discomfort from a bucking strap on your horse?

A forum for discussion of training in dressage

Would you allow the intentional infliction of pain/discomfort from a bucking strap on your horse?

Poll ended at Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:07 am

Yes
No votes
No
33%
Hello no
17%
Don't insult me
50%

Total votes: 6

Tsavo
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Tsavo » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:07 am

Let's see how this goes. I am writing down my prediction and mailing it to myself...

Hot4Spots
Herd Member

Re: Would you allow the intentional infliction of pain/discomfort from a bucking strap on your horse?

Postby Hot4Spots » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:12 am

Oh please, Would I take a well-trained riding horse and flank it like a rodeo bronc? No. Would I object to an otherwise unrideable horse (because of temperament/behavior/or bred to buck) having a flank strap used on it. Also no. The question is not properly phrased. You are also assuming (unproven) that there is pain rather than discomfort or annoyance. Why don't you try:

Do you oppose the use of flank straps on bucking horses?

Also noting that YOU have stated that YOU would prefer the horses be DEAD rather than wear a flank strap for 8 seconds.
Last edited by Hot4Spots on Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tsavo

Re: Would you allow the intentional infliction of pain/discomfort from a bucking strap on your horse?

Postby Tsavo » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:35 am

I notice you didn't vote yet.

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:02 am

My current well behaved riding horse? No. Do I oppose the use of them in rodeo in general? No.

Flight

Postby Flight » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:40 am

I thought you meant an oh shit strap. Why would I put a flank strap on my horse?

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:55 am

The question is phrased with intentional bias. No you won't get my vote either.

galopp
Herd Member

Postby galopp » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:11 am

The thing is bucking straps are usually padded with wool, and even if leather, it is to irritate not be painful. For 8-10 seconds. And most horses dont buck for more than a season. And back straps on a (roping) saddle are loose, and have little effect. mho

kande50

Postby kande50 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:30 am

galopp wrote:And most horses dont buck for more than a season.

They don't? I thought they went on and on and on for years, which is why they need bucking straps to get them to buck hard enough for long enough?

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:26 pm

Not voting is a vote.

Not liking the question is a vote.

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:22 pm

I voted - Don't insult me.

To which I will reply - Too late.

This poll is too one sided.

Hot4Spots
Herd Member

Postby Hot4Spots » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:06 pm

Awwww,Tsavo, vote not coming out the way you wanted? I didn't vote because, as Chisamba said, the phrasing makes it inherently biased. That is NOT a "vote." Nor is pointing out your manipulation of the poll a "vote." And I'm pretty willing to bet the one "no" vote is yours.

Galopp - most horses do buck for many years. Some of the horses at the NFR this year have been brought there for 14-15 years, per the announcers. But again, the flank/bucking strap affects the way they buck, not whether they buck.
Last edited by Hot4Spots on Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:25 pm

My husband and I have a joke between us... when a man is simply asked by his wife if she looks fat in some outfit, the husband immediately loses five points just for being asked. :-)

The question I pose here is in that category. Having to create a poll on this question is ridiculous and superfluous and damning. Kind people are insulted by the question because it would never occur to them to intentional inflict pain/discomfort on their horse.

Abby Kogler
Herd Member

Postby Abby Kogler » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:56 pm

Tsavo wrote:
Having to create a poll on this question is ridiculous and superfluous and damning. Kind people are insulted by the question because it would never occur to them to intentional inflict pain/discomfort on their horse.

"Having to" ? As if someone 'made' you? You, the well known flame-thrower of the internet, started this 'poll' on your own.

"Kind" people just might be insulted by your pious insinuation and your immutable and self satisfied ignorance.

And please, before you go running to Chancellor about me being mean to you, please just let her enjoy her well deserved and long overdue vacation, will you? Fight your own battles here.
Last edited by Abby Kogler on Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:19 pm

Tsavo wrote:Kind people are insulted by the question because it would never occur to them to intentional inflict pain/discomfort on their horse.

I am a kind person. I am a very kind person. I was insulted because you created a poll to make kind people feel ashamed for standing up for their knowledge and first hand experience. Well, me at least.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:52 pm

a no vote is a refusal to be drawn into your misrepresentation of an opinion, it is very specifically a no vote.

When i first came to the USA we lived in Colorado, and my mother in law lived in Colorado springs. I went to the Denver Rodeo, my boss used to have box seats and saw the rodeo for the first time. The National Pro Rodeo hall of fame is in C Springs, so i visited the museum too. They have horses inducted into the pro rodeo hall of fame and you get to read the history of the horses. I remember one was a quarter horse gelding who had bucked too much as a riding horse, so they sent him to a trainer who spent a long time trying to teach him to be a driving horse. He did not drive either, so the owner, desperate to find him a good home where he would not end up on the auction circuit or in a can of dog food sold him to a handler for the rodeo. The horse bucked for 17 years, retired sound, and was much admired.

Turns out the rodeo gets many of its mounts that way, horses that have shown themselves to be too much of a natural bucker. Some are bred for the job. My friend in colorado had a riding horse who was bred to be a bucker but failed at the job. Anyway, I "rescue" quite a few horses. By which i mean that i have bought quite a few horses off of the designated for the kill buyer auction circuit. So these brokers, they prefer to try and get riding prices for their horses so they will run them through several sales on the way to Canada or Mexico. Now if i were to tell you which horses looked happier, more content with life, sounder and in better care, i would say the Rodeo horses who wear a bucking strap for a minute or so over the horses on the auction circuit going from sale to sale, spiraling down til they are bought or end up out of country.

Now , i have heard that there are tripping and other things done in Rodeo in other parts of the world, and I also understand that there are more than one rodeo circuit, the good one, and then the lesser ones. I suppose the care may be different from rodeo to rodeo.

So to make the question even more complicated. I would rather sell a horse to rodeo, than sell a horse to be sent to race at the track. Horses at rodeo tend to have more freedom, live in herds, stay sound longer and have a less likelyhood of ending up in the auction circuit than unsuccessful race horses.

So I am not a dealer, a breeder nor a seller. Horses tend to come to me for the rest of their life. but lets be honest now, twenty horses that were in my care died the worst death that can come to an animal, so even with all my best intentions and safe guards.

I do not think that rodeo is the worst thing that can happen to a horse. I do not think being a bucking horse in the rodeo is the worst thing that can happen to a horse. I do not think that a bucking strap is the inflicting a lot of pain, i think tell the horse, this is the time to really really buck. they are lined with fleece and are fitted with enough slack to allow maximum movement of the horse. at a time when there was less scrutiny, and the flank straps were fitted tighter, it was found that the horses could buck less well in a tight flank strap, so they loosened it to allow for maximum performance. if the horse is in any way marked by either the strap or the spurs, the rider ( in the case of spurs) is fined, and the wrangler, in case of flank strap is fined.

Rodeo is one of those places where there is more scrutiny and more rules about the welfare of the animals than most other horse places and i bet there is more pain inflicted at a jumper barn poling a horse, than there is at the rodeo to a bucking horse. the rodeo is required to document every injury and the percentages of injuries is recorded and maintained.

I think rodeo horses have less risk than race horses, upper level eventer or a western pleasure show home or a stack shod saddle seat show home or even reining, Hell it is getting so that one worries about upper level dressage homes anymore.

otoh i am very bad about selling any horses, i am narcissistic enough to think that I take care of them best and i have such a hard time selling as i worry about them ending up some how on the auction circuit, however my horses have all be amenable to training and I do not have a bucker that has not been corrected, so no, i do not intentionally put a flank strap on any of my horses

I tend to be too honest and not very smart about being politically correct on venues such as this one. I know that people are inclined to cut a snippet of what you say and reflect it in the worst light, especially those out to pick a fight.

So my answer is here, but i still chose to reflect a no vote

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:55 pm

I am willing to state that TWH stuff is much worse than bucking straps. Not even close.

That does not make people who can enjoy bucking kind. Any person who can enjoy watching a horse have a strap pulled so tight that they buck is not a horseperson FULL STOP.

It honestly never occurred to me there would be any rodeo apologists on this group just like it never occurred to me there would be TWH apologists on this group. Spain will evolve past bullfighting and we will evolve past rodeo. Only kindness matters.

"They shoot horses, don't they?"

Hot4Spots
Herd Member

Postby Hot4Spots » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:59 pm

Chisamba wrote:I do not think that rodeo is the worst thing that can happen to a horse. I do not think being a bucking horse in the rodeo is the worst thing that can happen to a horse. I do not think that a bucking strap is the inflicting a lot of pain, i think tell the horse, this is the time to really really buck. they are lined with fleece and are fitted with enough slack to allow maximum movement of the horse. at a time when there was less scrutiny, and the flank straps were fitted tighter, it was found that the horses could buck less well in a tight flank strap, so they loosened it to allow for maximum performance. if the horse is in any way marked by either the strap or the spurs, the rider ( in the case of spurs) is fined, and the wrangler, in case of flank strap is fined.

Very well stated. After all, people twitch a horse to make it STAND STILL. A too tight flank strap would make the horse refuse to move, not buck more, harder, or higher. And the spurs are blunt and loose.

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:08 pm

Tsavo wrote:Any person who can enjoy watching a horse have a strap pulled so tight that they buck is not a horseperson FULL STOP.

Oh darling....you'd sure test the patience of a saint, whew!

Hot4Spots
Herd Member

Postby Hot4Spots » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:45 pm

Tsavo wrote:I am willing to state that TWH stuff is much worse than bucking straps. Not even close.

That does not make people who can enjoy bucking kind. Any person who can enjoy watching a horse have a strap pulled so tight that they buck is not a horseperson FULL STOP.

It honestly never occurred to me there would be any rodeo apologists on this group just like it never occurred to me there would be TWH apologists on this group. Spain will evolve past bullfighting and we will evolve past rodeo. Only kindness matters.

"They shoot horses, don't they?"

And apparently, you would prefer they shoot horses than let them be broncs?

You have no superior right to decide who is or is not a horseperson. Your dishonesty is reflected in the manipulative way in which you phrased your supposed "poll." I could declare you are not a horseperson because you are so ignorant about rodeo.

And, though I realize you are in a little bubble of ignorance that ignores/denies facts that aren't in accord with your beliefs, if a flank strap is too tight, the horse bucks less. Why do people twitch horses? To get them to STAND STILL by focusing their discomfort away from whatever the person needs to do, i.e., give them a shot, stitch up a cut, etc. It would be counter-productive for rodeo purposes to make the flank strap too tight.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:02 pm

Tsavo wrote:
That does not make people who can enjoy bucking kind.

I don't think "kind" is a word that''s been thrown around all that much when it comes to rodeo, or for that matter, most horse sports. Abuse seems to be the one that's in much more common usage, although that's likely because those who consider themselves kind are outraged by those who they feel aren't.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:28 pm

I tried to find a site that was credible when discussing flank straps. I therefore ignored PETA and any rodeo association site.

Here is one that i think meets criteria... it lists what rodeo practices are banned where. Flank straps are banned in some cities and rodeo in banned in some countries and I guess I have to add... for obvious reasons. Or maybe all these people are dreaming.

http://aldf.org/cases-campaigns/feature ... st-rodeos/

Hot4Spots
Herd Member

Postby Hot4Spots » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:05 pm

And, Tsavo,that is why PRCA Rodeos work together with the humane society to see that things are done properly and not abusively. I and others have made the distinction that there ARE unrecognized rodeos and that we cannot speak to what goes on in those instances. I was specifically talking about watching the NFR, which is THE PRCA recognized championship rodeo. You also should avoid HSUS sites. They are as bad as PETA.
Last edited by Hot4Spots on Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:18 pm

http://www.sharkonline.org/index.php/ro ... speaks-out

Animal Abuse Inherent in Rodeo

Peggy W. Larson, DVM, MS, JD

"In order for a calf roper to become proficient he must spend a great deal of time practicing. Baby calves sold to the practice pens are roped over and over until they are injured or killed."
During the course of my lifetime, I have been a farmer, bareback bronc rider in the rodeo, a large animal veterinarian, a medical researcher, a meat inspector, a state veterinarian, and a prosecutor. I have also worked with the media as a consultant on animal abuse issues including rodeo and PMU horses.

Based upon my extensive experience with large animals, I have come to the conclusion that rodeo events are inherently inhumane. The most cruel are the roping events.

Bronc riding, both saddle and bareback, causes the deaths of many rodeo horses. It is common for horses in these events to crash blindly into posts in the fencing around the arena or into the holding fencing and chutes. Bucking horses must be spurred over the shoulders on each jump or buck for the rider to qualify. The spurs cause blunt trauma to the shoulders which again never have time to heal properly before the horse is ridden and spurred in another rodeo.

The bucking strap often causes chafing to the flank area, which increases the discomfort to the horse. The irritation of the spurs and the bucking strap often cause the horse to "run blind" and fail to see fencing, posts or chutes.

A number of cities across the US have passed ordinances eliminating rodeo's tools of torture -- the electric prod, spurs and the flank strap -- all of which use pain to force the animals to "perform." It is no accident that where these devices are eliminated, rodeos disappear. Without torture, there can be no rodeo.

In my opinion, and based on my extensive training and experience, it is impossible to create a humane rodeo.

It is amazing this stuff has to be pointed out. The bullfighters think of themselves as fine upstanding citizens also. Funny if it wasn't sad.

Hot4Spots
Herd Member

Postby Hot4Spots » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:49 pm

I've already said that calf-roping (or tie down roping as they now call it) is something I very much disapprove of. Even on the open range, most ranch work doesn't involve roping at speed. While the contestants ARE penalized for "busting" the calf, yes, I wish it would be eliminated from rodeo. You will note - thought I doubt it - that in team roping, the steer wears a leather cradle or apparatus or whatever you want to call it around the head and horns to protect it. Also, of course, steers are much larger than calves, and in general don't fall when they are roped.

While I don't doubt it may happen, I've seen a lot of rodeos, and I haven't yet seen a horse run blindly into a post or fencing. My own horse has spooked into the arena wall. Is it cruel of me to ride him? The vast majority tend to buck in a circle directly in front of the chutes and occasionally bump off an arena wall, or buck down the length of the arena. If you've ever really watched, you'll see that 90%+ have their ears pricked and are alert and know EXACTLY what they are doing. They are not hysterically running into things. Nor do the horses IN A PROPERLY RECOGNIZED AND REGULATED PRCA RODEO wear a flank strap long enough to cause chafing (less than 20 seconds?!?!). A horse at the NFR MAY get used 3 times in 10 days, more likely two times. I hardly think they suffer serious bruising. No PRCA recognized rodeo uses an electric prod to make the horses "perform". While you may not have gone to PETA's website, this sounds very much like very exaggerated and hysterical PETA-type propaganda or from the era when rodeos were not regulated.

I can't find the site right now, but when this discussion started I looked up the rates of animal fatalities in rodeo, and all of the statistics were relatively low and in many cases lower than in horse racing, eventing and other horse sports. Which again, makes me feel your above quotes are slanted propaganda type quotes or very dated. I will post those figures if I can find them again.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:22 am

The death rate of TWHs is probably lower than bronc riding but the abuse is far, far worse. Death rate is not the issue. In fact abused animals are better off dead. I wish all the TWHs would drop dead to avoid the horrific abuse.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:57 am

Tsavo wrote:The death rate of TWHs is probably lower than bronc riding but the abuse is far, far worse. Death rate is not the issue. In fact abused animals are better off dead. I wish all the TWHs would drop dead to avoid the horrific abuse.

I'd amend that to "all the abused TWH would drop dead", as I think there are more TWH's who aren't abused than who are, but that of course, would depend on what we decided was bad enough to be considered abuse.

I've often thought that I'd like to see all the abusers drop dead, which may happen in the TWH industry, as it looks like most who are still doing it are old. I don't often wish for anyone to die, but I'd have no problem at all if every abuser on this planet dropped dead tomorrow. Or better yet, they got to experience exactly what they've been dishing out.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:52 pm

Abuse is not a grey matter. I am not sure why you or anyone would equivocate on it.

Intentionally doing something to an animal that you know causes pain just for entertainment purposes is not in the realm of kind or animal-centric. The bullfighters and circus people defend what they are doing also. But the thing speaks for itself.

angela9823
Herd Member

Postby angela9823 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:24 pm

Tsavo wrote:Abuse is not a grey matter. I am not sure why you or anyone would equivocate on it.

Intentionally doing something to an animal that you know causes pain just for entertainment purposes is not in the realm of kind or animal-centric. The bullfighters and circus people defend what they are doing also. But the thing speaks for itself.

I'm going to point out your hypocrisy. Do you ride with a bit in your horse's mouth? Why? Is there no other way to "speak" to your horse besides having a metal object put on a very sensitive part of your horse's body? And you ride for more than 8 seconds a week. You were recently asking people what they thought about riding your horse that is limping. Your vet okayed this. But you use another vet's words for us to now all gang up and agree that a rodeo horse is abused.

There are always grey areas...

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:29 pm

Tsavo wrote:I wish all the TWHs would drop dead to avoid the horrific abuse.

:shock: Okay, I'll tell my friend who just purchased one for trail riding that she should end it's life. Because it's a TWH.

Tsavo wrote:Intentionally doing something to an animal that you know causes pain just for entertainment purposes is not in the realm of kind or animal-centric.

Then everyone rehabbing a foundered/injured/unsound horse (using as as examples), should give up. Because the rehab process, (for most, not all), is going to be uncomfortable before it gets better. "Because causing pain is not in the ream of kind."

Your words. Not mine.

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:30 pm

angela9823 wrote:You were recently asking people what they thought about riding your horse that is limping. Your vet okayed this. But you use another vet's words for us to now all gang up and agree that a rodeo horse is abused.

Boom.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:31 pm

People rehab horses for the entertainment value? I think they do that to help the horse.

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:32 pm

Tsavo wrote:People rehab horses for the entertainment value? I think they do that to help the horse.

And once they are rehabbed, most (not all) go back to be riding horses..... for their rider's entertainment.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:35 pm

angela9823 wrote:You were recently asking people what they thought about riding your horse that is limping. Your vet okayed this. But you use another vet's words for us to now all gang up and agree that a rodeo horse is abused.

There are always grey areas...

My horse has OA where it is known that the symptoms can be eased with work. How much work and how much limping is a grey area.

There is no nexus between that and causing pain for purely entertainment purposes.

I would not be surprised if someone came on here demanding proof what is done to the big lick horses is technically abuse.

I don't know if this pushback is real or just rhetorical. It's hard to believe people are serious with some of this stuff.

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:45 pm

Tsavo wrote: I don't know if this pushback is real or just rhetorical. It's hard to believe people are serious with some of this stuff.

Something we can agree on....

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Postby Srhorselady » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:03 pm

OKay. I'm another person who refuses to bother with a poll so obviously biased, however I will give my opinion. I have been to and enjoyed watching rodeo although not often. I have relatives in South Dakota who live and work on ranches and who rodeo both as a hobby and professionally. As has been previously stated all the major rodeos in the United States are heavily regulated for animal welfare, much more so than horse shows. Bucking horses at these rodeos are not abused. However, about 25 years ago I was on a business trip to Guadalajara Mexico and one of the entertainments offered was a trip to watch a Charro Rodeo. I went. I was horrified. I don't know what I expected, but I hung in the waiting area with my companions for the first bus back to the City, after the first non trick riding event. I hope that Mexico now regulates these. I don't know what happens at Charro rodeos in the US and I'm not willing to attend one to find out, but I hope and pray that the animal abuse groups watch them. What I saw there was animal abuse, pro rodeos are not.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:30 pm

Tsavo wrote:I don't know if this pushback is real or just rhetorical. It's hard to believe people are serious with some of this stuff.

The problem is that we can't read anyone's mind, so if they say TWH we have no way of knowing that they actually meant Big Lick.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:36 pm

No that wasn't my point. Of course I mean big lick when I write TWH. It is irrational to mention TWH in a thread on rodeo and not know I am referring to big lick and not the universe of TWH. I assume a certain minimum level of acquaintance with the subject of horses among the people here. Maybe I am wrong about assuming that minimum level.

There are people here who will sit there and deny the obvious. Nobody here would allow a bucking strap on their horse for obvious reasons.

Return to “Dressage Training”