No Moore!!!

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

No Moore!!!

Postby Tarlo Farm » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:04 pm

I didn't think I'd stay up for it, and after watching a minute around 9pm, I REALLY didn't think I'd stay up. But it was over before 11pm.
Decency and secular government wins!

Tsavo
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: No Moore!!!

Postby Tsavo » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:10 pm

Amazing hope for the future.

To listen to the Alabama voters who were interviewed, I formed the opinion that they wold vote for Hitler if he was against legal abortion. Never have I seen such a consensus on a single issue in interviews. These people are fascists.

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:16 pm

Doug Jones' win gives me some hope for the future of our country!

amygdala
Herd Member

Postby amygdala » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:32 pm

i'm not sure they're fascists. i see them as theocrats-- theirs is the one true way, god's on their side, etc etc.

and i am so grateful for the founders of our country giving us separation of church & state!

amygdala
Herd Member

Postby amygdala » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:35 pm

and roy moore is one terrible rider! worse than a chair seat --a recliner seat!

kande50

Postby kande50 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:34 pm

amygdala wrote:and roy moore is one terrible rider! worse than a chair seat --a recliner seat!

And we thought the statues were bad (Confederate Statues Should Be Taken Down For Piss-Poor Riding)!

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:47 pm

amygdala wrote:i'm not sure they're fascists. i see them as theocrats-- theirs is the one true way, god's on their side, etc etc.

and i am so grateful for the founders of our country giving us separation of church & state!

You're right they are not technically fascists because that term is synonymous with the Catholic Right Wing. Although these people are largely not Catholic, they are functional fascists. They are for sure theocrats and as such, are not democrats (small d) and therefore are traitors or seditious or something. They in fact want a theocracy and not a democracy. I also think they suffer from Stockholm Syndrome (likely a form of PTSD) and have been raised in an echo chamber where free thought is highly discouraged. It's not as bad as North Korea in terms of being a hostage situation but it is similar.

The US is the only country in the world with a godless Constitution with a separation between church and state so we can be forever proud about that.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:35 am

I fear so often that our "separation of church & state" is on the verge of dissolution. Always, I point out to people that if you want to see the mess combining the two creates, look no further than the Middle East.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:55 am

We are already at least ankle deep in theocracy. Every law limiting abortion of nonviable fetuses, every law protecting businesses that are bigoted against homosexuals, every restriction on embryonic stem cell research, every law allowing the teaching of nonsense instead of, or in addition to, the fact of evolution and an old earth in public schools, is a pick axe to that wall separating church and state. We have to be vigilant against this creeping cancer on the Enlightenment.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:07 pm

I am curious to see if the allegations of misconduct etc are pursued now that the election is over.

Since some of you seem to be politically canny, why is the system so fubar that a person cannot step down and another take his place from the same party before an election happens, in circumstances of such allegations or discovery of other criminal conduct?

khall

Postby khall » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:20 pm

chisamba first of all it was not just the sexual misconduct (pursuing teenage girls at 30) that made Moore a toxic candidate. Moore was also removed twice from judgeship for not following the rule of law. The latest: http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/index ... _cour.html
What would be pursued? Statue of limitations is long expired and the only one he would have possibly faced charges on was the 14 yr old. IMO they were speaking out to attest to his character or lack there of not to pursue criminal charges.

Because of the rules of the elections.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:48 pm

i have read about Moore thank you i could not find info about the rules of the election

I am left guessing that unless he is actually criminally indicted, the vote of his constituents has to be respected

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:15 pm

In re Moore, if he won he would have been seated but there was almost certainly going to be an immediate ethics investigation and he probably would have been tossed. And I heard they would not seat him on any committees if he was elected. So he would vote in the final votes but not be on any committees which would be highly unusual if not unprecedented.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:21 pm

Chisamba wrote:i have read about Moore thank you i could not find info about the rules of the election

As a voter, I'd be frosted if someone else just stepped into a vacated seat. The closest thing to that happening is when a Governor appoints someone to fill a seat until an election can be held. Sometime I feel the thread is tenuous, but we are still a voting democracy.

amygdala
Herd Member

Postby amygdala » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:09 pm

i believe that the governor of minn. has just appointed someone to fill al franken's seat (when he actually leaves office). the appointed person
will fill the seat until the next election.

chisamba, i'm not sure what you're asking

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:29 am

amygdala wrote:and roy moore is one terrible rider! worse than a chair seat --a recliner seat!

If I had to watch him grab the reins and yank a horse around one more time for the camera, I was going to get PETA in there, too. . .

Luckily the story had a happy ending.

Now if only Bannon will disappear into the sunset also. . .

amygdala
Herd Member

Postby amygdala » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:52 pm

me too, koolkat-- and yanking on that shanked bit looked very practiced, like he did it a lot!

so i now understand the all those statues of miserable horses/lousy riders are probably accurate!

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:40 am

What a jerk. So to speak. . .

horses against Moore.jpg
horses against Moore.jpg (64.8 KiB) Viewed 19660 times

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:10 am

OMG, that is truly painful to look at. How can an educated person not know how horrible that is. Why hasn't anyone said anything to him about it. I saw some earlier video of him and the horse, but I tried not to watch.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:19 am

The video is harrowing. That poor horse.

Hot4Spots
Herd Member

Postby Hot4Spots » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:11 pm

A friend who lives in Aiken drove down to Georgia and helped drive people to the polls to get out the vote against Moore.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:22 am

Interesting, because Moore was running for Senate in Alabama.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:42 am

Oh come on! Who here has not confused Georgia for Alabama!

khall

Postby khall » Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:56 am

Me and my family!! We live in Georgia though, please don't confuse us with Alabamians. Them's fighting words around here!

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:09 pm

Well okay but even now that I have lived south of the Mason-Dixon in two states, I would not trust myself to not mix up these SE states. There are fairly homogeneous with some notable exceptions.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”