Commercial horse

Tsavo
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Commercial horse

Postby Tsavo » Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:37 pm

I really like this type of horse. It is Clyde x TB x Hackney. Very similar to my draft cross. Would like to find one.

Here is one from a 2016 auction... http://www.ontariobreedersproductionsal ... helsey.htm

Are these horses limited to eastern Canada?

Tsavo

Re: Commercial horse

Postby Tsavo » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:34 pm

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:35 pm

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:36 pm

Josette

Postby Josette » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:18 pm

https://www.dreamhorse.com/ad/2088166.html

I stumbled upon a site (can't remember where) that was using Shire stallion for sport horses. Check out horse sales in VA if I recall some breeders use these draft crosses for hunting.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:36 pm

Ah Thanks Josette. I had forgotten about the AWB thing because I don't have breed registry on my mind. I ill look up the requirements for AWB... maybe it specifies draft cross.

I have looked at some of those field hunters out of VA. They seem to be all half and half. I would like to find a 1/4 draft if I can. I feel like that is what might be most suited to dressage.

These 1/4 (and half) dressage drafts were quite plentiful in western Canada where I bought my horse in the early 2000s. I don't know if I would go that far but I might.

Thanks again.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:39 pm

Josette wrote:https://www.dreamhorse.com/ad/2088166.html

That is a nice horse at a nice price. With my horse, given his show record and his walk/canter, had he been a WB and not a draft cross, his price would have been at least double. That's why I like draft crosses. They are a mixed bag but the good ones are very very very good. Mine went word of mouth.

DJR
500 post plus club

Postby DJR » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:39 am

This is my 3-yr-old Shire/WB. I know you’re more interested in a 1/4 draft, but thought you’d be interested to see this cross which is Hano/Shire (by Sir Wanabi, Hanoverian, out of my Shire mare). He isn’t terribly heavy so far, and is approximately 16.2h at 3-1/2 yrs old (so probably will reach 17h ... his sire is 17.1 and his dam is 17.3).

Lots of bling!
CA04D07F-08FD-4F9F-A43D-71246D81D255.jpeg
CA04D07F-08FD-4F9F-A43D-71246D81D255.jpeg (93.27 KiB) Viewed 14656 times

Very friendly & personable (here with my daughter).
89D12BD3-6043-45AF-92AD-E5C922A52EDF.jpeg
89D12BD3-6043-45AF-92AD-E5C922A52EDF.jpeg (129.48 KiB) Viewed 14656 times

And coming along well under saddle so far, with three very nice gaits (I have video of his gaits if you’re interested in seeing what this cross produces).
173CC3BF-2713-43C8-943C-E47EFAC57956.jpeg
173CC3BF-2713-43C8-943C-E47EFAC57956.jpeg (68.46 KiB) Viewed 14656 times
formerly known as "Deanna" on UDBB -- and prior to that, as "DJD".

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:47 am

Handsome, shiny horses. I like the first one best. All the others (whose pictures you have posted) lack balance. They don't have much engine. I am sure correct work would take care of some of that but they (to me) all stand downhill and horizontal and I think would be hard to get off the forehand.

Deanna's boy looks to have a bigger engine.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

Abby Kogler
Herd Member

Postby Abby Kogler » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:21 pm

Deanna, I am in love. Thanks for sharing.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:54 am

Kyra's Mom wrote:Handsome, shiny horses. I like the first one best. All the others (whose pictures you have posted) lack balance. They don't have much engine. I am sure correct work would take care of some of that but they (to me) all stand downhill and horizontal and I think would be hard to get off the forehand.

Deanna's boy looks to have a bigger engine.

Susan

I would like to see a conformation shot of the shire/Han to compare in re your comment about engine.

I did an extreme level of cherry picking to find the horses I posted. Most of the others were croup high. The ones I posted were at least level and at least a bit uphill as much as can be seen from standing on grass. Who knows what they really are on level ground?

I would buy a horse who was only slightly uphill or even level now that I have a core. LOL. I would not do so without one.

I like the way the parts flow into one another on most of the ones I posted. I think all but perhaps the last stand a chance of being a dressage machine.

DJR
500 post plus club

Postby DJR » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:12 am

This is the closest I have to a conformation shot from this year. This was taken in July 2017, so he was just over 3 yrs old here. He's definitely a baby horse in many respects still, but I think he's put together fairly nicely (from my biased view!).

2017July Finn2.jpg
2017July Finn2.jpg (67.65 KiB) Viewed 14598 times
formerly known as "Deanna" on UDBB -- and prior to that, as "DJD".

Abby Kogler
Herd Member

Postby Abby Kogler » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:00 pm

Clues to balance and engine: the line from stifle to elbow. If the stifle is a lot higher than the elbow that is an indicator of potential balance issues.

Where does the neck come out of the chest and how sloped is the shoulder? Where are the withers in relation to the attachment of the neck?

How sloped and how long is the distance from SI to tail head?

Kristi Wysocki made a good study and presentation about conformation and dressage suitability.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:09 pm

Back when I was a low-level no-name trainer in the Pittsburgh area, I had one of these horses as a lesson student that I put occasional rides on. Really neat brain-- that mare had a really amateur-friendly temperament but could take a good bit of pressure in training situations. Tried very hard. However, she was really tricky to truly connect that Hackney back end to her Clyde-ish front end. Go-to evasion was to just wave legs around. "But look how fancy! This is probably what you want."

There are a couple Commercial horse breeders in S Canada near Erie that keep turning out fancily-marked (high white socks/belly spots) ammy-friendly horses. That said, I don't know of many that turn out at the upper levels, if that's one of your aspirations.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:47 pm

Ponichiwa wrote:There are a couple Commercial horse breeders in S Canada near Erie that keep turning out fancily-marked (high white socks/belly spots) ammy-friendly horses. That said, I don't know of many that turn out at the upper levels, if that's one of your aspirations.

Maybe that is for lack of trying! I bet Uta Graf could take some of these to FEI. :-)

I became interested not because of the Hackney but because they are 1/4 draft (Clyde specifically) which is what I want again in a horse. I can't seem to find (m)any 1/4 draft. Most draft crosses I see in ads are 1/2. My horse was bred in eastern Canada but is a 1/4 Clyde, 3/4 TB. Would love another one like that.

Thanks for this comment about CH breeders. Any info on them would be appreciated.

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:04 pm

https://www.canadreamfarm.com/swallowfield-eno-kelbeck

You want something drafty and athletic... get yourself a cheval Canadien

(I am kind of biased as I own three of them lol)

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:25 pm

Yes I like those horses but there are not that many that I can find.

exvet

Postby exvet » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:39 pm

I use to ride under a trainer who brought several of these horses in to the KC, MO area from Canada over a period of years for her students and clients. She did pretty well bringing at least 1 or 2 up through PSG if I remember correctly. I honestly don't know if any went any further. I ended up with two of them in my barn. I found they had great minds and nice movement but in the end for me they were just too big and after getting them to first level I sold them on to others who enjoyed them for many years as sweet ammy mounts and as all rounders- one did a lot of mounted shooting with its owner. Both were level, not downhill.

As for the comment about stifle - elbow height, for the most part I agree but my (former, now owned by a friend) welsh cob who took more than one person to their silver medal and competed at I1 is higher at the stifle than the elbow. He possesses uphill movement at liberty and when ridden uphill isn't heavy in the hand and demonstrates self-carriage. He has an incredible engine that at 20 is still going strong. I do not believe he'll ever be able to passage, piaffe yes; but, that's okay 'cause he has earned his oats for a life time even with that limitation. Just sayin' there's far more to the equation than just conformation and angles; but, of course conformation is a 'sound' place to start, no pun intended.

If the commercial horse came in a smaller/shorter package I wouldn't hesitate to get another but then I think that gets me back to the le cheval canadien or welsh cob.......

Return to “Young Horse Forum and Breeding and Registries”