Annwylid Dare to Dream

exvet
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Annwylid Dare to Dream

Postby exvet » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:39 pm

I feel like I'm finally starting to get back into 'my groove' again. Though I had not given up on the whole dressage thing, the stinker pony got injured and the mustang is just too dang good of a trail horse and not one bit interested in dressage; so, there I waited for Jr to come of age. My last riding lesson was back in January on the stinker who is now retired. With Jr, I've been doing my usual program of in hand training, tons of ground work, ground driving and long lining along with some lounging. I've mounted him hundreds of times, sat on him just hanging out and finally we started the pony rides. We're getting the steering from the back/saddle down, finally getting the idea of moving off the leg and developing forward without a Yahoo! forward. Trotting under saddle will come next and soon; but, for now I thought I'd share the 3 days, 3 weeks, 3 months and 3 years to under saddle. For those who don't remember, Annwylid Dare to Dream (aks Jr) is by my former stallion, who my daughter now owns, and out of another stinker pony (section C welsh cob mare) that was given to me as a result of her 'dubious' past. The cross turned out so nice the first time that I repeated it and this is THE one I kept. I hope to be able to get some video at some point because I'm very happy with this movement; but, even if I wasn't I'm thrilled with his disposition.......or at least how it turned out. This is the little guy who at 5 months kicked me in the face, shattering my check, brow and nose. Thankfully I healed and he grew up to be a very level headed, people-oriented pony.

3 weeks

3 months

3 years

piedmontfields

Re: Annwylid Dare to Dream

Postby piedmontfields » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:06 am

Wow--what an update! I am very sad to hear about stinker pony. Is it something where you might check back after piles of turnout or truly over for work? You work with him was amazing and he was lucky to have landed with you understanding his needs/demons.

Mr Dare to Dream is truly handsome. Wishing you joy on this next journey.

Josette

Postby Josette » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:06 pm

Oh my, JR has grown up so fast! He is a handsome boy. Set backs are very hard but time moves on and it looks like you will be busy training this youngster. I'm very sorry to hear about stinker pony - I enjoyed your journey with him.

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:32 pm

Thank you both. Stinker was injured in turn out by Jr and rough play. I'm not sure if in time he'll be able to resume trail riding or possibly we'll see if he'll let us try to drive him (which is what he was bred for). Either way he's the perfect babysitter and pet so while we won't be working on dressage any more, he'll always have a home with me. Jr is in desperate need of a job; so, the focus was going to shift sooner or later just wished it wasn't a need and would have rather it had been a 'want' if you know what I mean.

Josette

Postby Josette » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:53 pm

I so understand about the circumstances. Years ago, I had to retire my PT/QH due to navicular (tried injections, various shoes, barefoot). What a wonderful mind he had for dressage - loved the ring work and good on trails. He looks more like a spotted Lippizan as he is built up hill in front, large shoulders and butt at 15.1 hands. Big gaits with extended trot and rolling canter. German clinicians really impressed with his work ethic and really liked him. However, little feet on big horses do not end well. :(

khall

Postby khall » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:31 pm

I'm so sorry about Stinker Pony exvet, good on you with Jr though! Much farther along than I am with my 3 yr old. Is he still a stallion? I hope his training as a eventual dressage pony is smooth and uneventful.

quinta
Herd Member

Postby quinta » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:13 pm

So much personality in that face! Sorry about stinker, but love seeing the progress with Jr. Tell him his red cousin says 'hi' from Canada!

exvet

Postby exvet » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:38 am

Yes, quinta, he's a true welsh cob and typical in terms of that pony character. I'll say hi for Autumn and please give her a hug from us. khall, the nice thing about 3 year olds is that you really don't have to do too much with them. It's really at age 4 that they start to develop and the catch-up time is like nothing. I just need something to work with and he's starting to mature enough to get it started; otherwise, waiting a few more months until he's 4 wouldn't hurt anyone or hold us back. Thank you for the well wishes on the training too.

demi

Postby demi » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:24 pm

Glad to hear you're getting back into your groove. Jr is a neat, neat pony and it will be enjoyable to watch him progress. We will see not just his own progress, but the results of all of your experience before him. Sorry to hear about the stinker pony but glad to know he always has a home with you.

I especially like being able to watch Jr's progress from just a 3 week old baby. All the things you are doing with him right now are so important to his future as a dressage horse. It is easy to forget that dressage involves so much more than gaits and movements in a 20X60 m arena. We know that Jr was bred carefully for temperament, but that temperament has to be carefully developed and it starts when they are foals. Personally, I love the journey. Not just my own, but other's journeys as well.

Thanks for sharing!

exvet

Postby exvet » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:41 pm

I appreciate all that has been said and it is so true about being careful especially with the ones that seem born broke. I too cherish the training process and journey especially from the beginning. The woman who bought one of my 2012 babies (one of the twisted sista's for those who remember) commented on how she had to be careful starting her because she was so easy and so willing. It is still so easy to overface her. She has grown into a very nice mare and mount for her owner. This guy is similar. Like many horses welsh cobs never forget and that's both the good and the bad. It's going to be fun developing this guy. This winter we'll be focusing on trail riding. I will be moving in a little over a month (keeping this house for my son to live in until he's done with school) to a horse property that is only 0.3 miles from a preserve with endless well maintained trails. My plan is relatively unchanged from how I've done this before but to be sure, this guy like those before him will test my tool box, probably not in a bad way; but, each one gives me new tools to add........LOL.....

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:51 pm

I think there is definitely a certain temperament of horse that needs to work sooner rather than later. People forget that if and when horses were wild or feral, they covered many many miles over varied terrein from birth to adulthood. Yes, putting weight on their back changes that, but if you only have a few acres of paddock, keeping young horses without getting some miles on them does no good, in fact i have grown to believe it does harm.

i am a proponent of ponying young horses for miles if you can, and if you cannot, start to leg them up sooner rather than later. human athletes train from a young age, but some how we expect horses to turn from fat pasture baggage to athletes at a certain age. peculiar are we

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:53 pm

PS, i think he looks very handsome, and remarkably balanced at three

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:43 pm

I agree with you Chisamba, particularly for horses raised in this part of the country. The youngstock I've produced by this stallion have all been well balanced throughout their 'growing' years. The stallion was similar. I'm waiting to see how much he fills out because right now he's still on the 'puny' side of true 'welshcobdom' LOL.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:36 pm

Rode Jr. today and he continues to pick up new things well and progress. I'm so grateful that he's willing to try and answer most questions immediately when asked. We may try trotting under saddle tomorrow. We'll have to see but today I almost did it. He had already tackled new topics without issue that I decided to end on a good note and move on to the mustang who is a hole 'nuther story - not bad, and actually that one keeps me giggling - but a totally 'different' mind. Thought I'd throw in some pictures of Jr at 3 days of age (He looks so sweet but his mother earned the medal of sainthood with this one LOL) and now (taken last weekend).

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:41 pm

Woo Hoo! and NO YaHOO! LOL..........We managed trotting under saddle today and Jr was pretty darn good. This guy has such a pleasant attitude and brain. He really thinks things out. In another couple of months I think we'll be able to join in on the training threads :) :) :)

khall

Postby khall » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:20 am

Way cool!! Good boy JR!

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:16 pm

Congratulations exvet! It's so exciting to see your baby progressing.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:39 am

Such a great update! I'm very happy for young JR and hope your new home treats you well.

exvet

Postby exvet » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:03 pm

Thank you y'all. I may have my 'big' trailer sold today. If the cash comes through then it's a brand new (to me) 2 horse. Once Jr has graduated to trail riding and is taking that in stride I'll be ready for regular lessons again. Definitely looking forward to it; but, for now we'll take it easy in this 110 degree heat.

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:21 pm

Love this! Thanks for sharing!

exvet

Postby exvet » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:17 am

Thank you for the support Tuddy. Well as a further update, big 4 horse trailer is sold and just bought a 2-horse trailer. Should be picking it up on Tuesday so now the wheels have been secured, just need a little more time and a lot more patience (because I don't want to push him too far too fast and he's got the personality that would allow it) and in due time we'll be heading on that training path to as far as it takes us.

Anne
Herd Member

Postby Anne » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:39 am

Yay for the trailer 'swap' (hopefully with $$ in your direction), and super to see Jr's progress (I remember your post about him doing a job on your face, glad he his manners have since improved!). Hope that you can get out on the trails riding the mustang and ponying Jr? I agree with Chisamba that miles of walking off a pony-horse would probably be *really* good for him. Good luck and keep us updated!

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:07 pm

I'm not sure the Mustang will relish the idea of ponying Jr. I'd be much more likely to have success with him ponying the stinker pony; but, I agree if I could pull it off safely I'm sure it would do wonders. Jr is progressing nicely (and slowly) under saddle. I hope to be able to get him out on the trails by the time the weather really starts to cool off here, although, it will likely be with me on his back. I was getting ready to tack him up this morning when it became apparent that he's overcome his fear of tarps. I caught him chewing on it this morning. Use to be he wouldn't get near it. Then he stole a carrot when I turned to get his bridle......and he was so sure he was hiding it well too......LOL. You can't see it. I couldn't see it; but, the sucking noise gave it away as well as the fact that it was gone, gone, gone.....

khall

Postby khall » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:26 pm

LOL! exvet, too funny. My DS had that exact same look when he was hiding a large snail in his pocket. No he was not allowed to bring it home!

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:51 pm

Awwww I'm happy for you and Jr! :)

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:15 am

Jr is still trying to figure out why I insist on being 'up there' instead of down at his level. He's coming along and so far hasn't tried anything, um, not too bright. His walk is actually quite nice and relaxed with a decent swinging stride. The trot is still a bit of a pony trot with the head up in the air; but, no real resistance and he takes the bit well. He wasn't too thrilled when I asked him to pose.

and then he just sighed.....LOL

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:14 pm

Just read this post, and thank you for the pictures. So nice to see babies growing up. He sure is handsome.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:18 pm

He is gorgeous!

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:05 pm

Thank you for the compliments. He's finally starting to fill out and really look like a Welsh Cob.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:48 pm

It is such a nice feeling to have a balanced youngster who has a mind for forward and willingness to start to seek the hand. I'm going to have fun with this one ;)

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:50 pm

Well it's been a while since any updates. Junior cantered yesterday under saddle for the first time. He took both leads about three different times, maintaining the gait in balance for 8-10 strides. I've never had a youngster so well balanced and easy. I have goose bumps still.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:08 pm

That's great, exvet.

In my search for my next and last horse, am looking for a draft cross but also looking for a section D. Your posts make them sound like they are fun and very trainable. In looking at ads, I have seen some Section Ds but there are not many who have a lot of dressage training.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:55 pm

There are fewer than 5000 welsh cobs in North America (that's Cs and Ds). It's difficult to find one available with under saddle training let alone one with dressage training though they exist. I have a friend who has been trying to sell a lovely mare but she isn't cheap, nor should she be. Welsh Cobs are definitely not for everyone and I turn people away if I don't think a welsh cob would suit them. I adore mine and do find them fun; but, they are an acquired taste and while I find mine easy it's all relative. My colt is the 4th generation of my breeding program and I've focused on very specific bloodlines after riding, training and showing and trying more than a couple over the years. I have usually sold mine before they're ready for under saddle training though there have been exceptions. I sold my gelding who earned my silver medal for me a few years ago. He is going to be 20 this year and has earned two additional silver medals for other riders (still owned by the gal I sold him to and who adores him) and is still very sound and looks like he's 10. I also sold a welsh cob x tb who I trained and showed through training level; but, for the most part the trained ones are hard to come by.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:24 am

Great update, exvet!

As she notes, welsh cobs are an acquired taste. They are *seriously* smart and consequently seriously not for many people. I do know of a welsh c x TB with 2nd+ level dressage training that sold rather quickly.

I prefer the tractability of Spanish and Portuguese horses myself ;-) Call me not as smart as exvet and I will agree :lol:

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:25 am

LOL piedmontfields I hardly think there is much difference between you and I in terms of the 'smarts' department. I just STILL have a fair amount of velcro on my hiney which has maintained well even at 54 years of age. It helps to have been brought up on horses and been more afraid of what your father or grandfather would have done if you didn't stay on or worse, yet, didn't get back on.....Welsh cobs do not suffer fools kindly but they do typically thrive with black and white guard rails and someone who will take the lead, no matter what....you cannot unlearn a cob so you it's best to be very careful and do it right the first time.......Most, rightfully so, would/should prefer something else.

Anne
Herd Member

Postby Anne » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:50 am

Great end to the year for you and Junior, exvet, congrats!! That first canter is *such* an achievement.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:08 am

Thank you Anne and you are so right. I rode him today and we asked for the canter, each lead/each direction and today he was able to maintain the canter for almost 2 full 20 meter circles before needing to trot - no scrambling, no motorcycle turns. Now maintaining consistent tempo at the trot is going to be our focus and homework LOL. It's always a huge relief when you confirm your welsh cob likes to canter.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:22 pm

exvet wrote:It's always a huge relief when you confirm your welsh cob likes to canter.

:D Yes! Great update and continued good rides to you in the new year.

exvet

Postby exvet » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:32 pm

Thank you piedmontfields, I hope to be able to get back into a more regular routine soon. Our new barn is almost done; but, the guy building it is juggling my small barn with 3 huge operations going up in the neighborhood so it's that 'so close yet so far' feeling. Any how fingers crossed I may be able to move the horses this weekend and then hit the trails big time AND have access to a huge reigning arena. Both would give me far more chances to condition both of my guys in a way that probably would be best. Hope you too and the rest here have nothing but great equine adventures in 2018.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:27 am

OVER THE MOON! Took Junior out on the trail with the mustang for the first time. Last weekend I moved the horses to my new place. Barn isn't finished but enough is built to finally have them out here. Any how last weekend I rode Junior and the mustang at the neighbor's place. He has a huge reigning arena. Both horses were great despite Junior being mesmerized by "other horses". Then this weekend we took Junior out on the preserver. He WAS AWESOME. He rode 4 miles with bikes, cars, hikers etc. I love this colt. He is just like his father.......solid, solid, solid.

Anne
Herd Member

Postby Anne » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:45 am

Wow, double congrats on moving to your new place, and (especially) getting Junior 'out and about'. Sounds like your mustang is the ideal buddy for the youngster. Would love to see photos!!!

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:39 am

Thank you Anne. I was hoping to get some but unfortunately no one had a phone. I'm tentatively going to be taking a lesson in a couple of weeks (on Junior) for the first time in close to a year; so, maybe I'll be able to get someone to get a couple of photos then.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:06 pm

Congratulations exvet!!!! I wish I could find someone to ride with me down the road, but alas my baby 6yr old just gets to go on his own as far as I feel safe. :P I can't wait to see photos of junior's first horse show!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:31 am

Tsavo wrote:That's great, exvet.

In my search for my next and last horse, am looking for a draft cross but also looking for a section D. Your posts make them sound like they are fun and very trainable. In looking at ads, I have seen some Section Ds but there are not many who have a lot of dressage training.

Funny, I read this thread and then started perusing Dressage Horses for Sale on FB and ran across this guy:

Llawen Farm Macsen "Mac"
2010 14.3hh Section D Welsh Cob gelding

Llawen Farm Macsen "Mac" is a 2010 14.3hh Section D Welsh Cob gelding. Mac is registered with the Welsh Pony & Cob Society of America. He is a flashy and super moving flaxen chestnut with lots of white. Mac is currently located in Rhode Island, and will be in Aiken, South Carolina from February 10th - 18th (maybe). He is fun, forward thinking, and sensitive, with ability for the upper levels. Suitable for a serious amateur and enough quality for a professional. Scores to 70% at second level (schooling shows). Three correct and easy to sit gaits with a lovely canter. Mac has been started over fences and is very willing with great potential. He also enjoys hacking. Easy keeper with excellent ground manners. Mac is sweet and loves attention. UTD on vaccines, coggins, farrier, and deworming.

Price: $12,500

Please see below photo and links to 2017 showing YouTube videos below:

Showing Second Level Test 1, 70.6%: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6yPymqjbVU

Showing First Level Test 3, 72% https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCIELc412T0&t=139s

For more information or additional photos and videos, please contact trainer, Pamela Maloof via phone (401-524-1788) or email (faithhillfarm01@gmail.com).
Keep calm and canter on.

exvet

Postby exvet » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:28 pm

I think he was a little overscored at 2nd 1 but he's a cutie and typical for the breed. He's a nice mover and seems to be the typical 'hard tryer' that many are. He could certainly come live in my barn though my stalls are all filled up at the moment.....oh wait, I have another barn that has a few empty stalls....LOL....must exercise restraint and self-control.

Welsh cobs for me are definitely like potato chips but as much as I adore them and am owned by them I still admit they are not for everyone. Cute and smaller package do not equate to an easy ride. For a welsh cob being a confident rider with black & white but fair parameters makes a fun ride for you both. Still you can't rest on your laurels. They want a leader..........if you don't take the lead their sense of humor will get the better of them and you :roll:

quinta
Herd Member

Postby quinta » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:08 am

exvet wrote:Welsh cobs for me are definitely like potato chips but as much as I adore them and am owned by them I still admit they are not for everyone. Cute and smaller package do not equate to an easy ride. For a welsh cob being a confident rider with black & white but fair parameters makes a fun ride for you both. Still you can't rest on your laurels. They want a leader..........if you don't take the lead their sense of humor will get the better of them and you :roll:

My current mare is my first welsh cob, and I completely agree with this assessment! (Disclaimer: I bought her from exvet). She is definitely a tryer, is extremely trainable, but needs a confident ride. Combine that with a huge amount of altheticism, and you can see where it can all go wrong. Took me some time to figure this all out. :oops: I love her to pieces, though, and she has taught me a TON about being consistent.

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:59 am

Here are some shots taken last weekend on Junior's fourth trail ride/second weekend. He is very bold and loves to lead. He doesn't mind cars, bikes, dogs or ATVs. Not too keen on mule deer though LOL....and my position has really deteriorated but we had so much fun.

exvet

Postby exvet » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:59 am

Keeping fingers crossed. I was forced to cancel my lesson tomorrow but next Saturday Junior is going to become a dressage prospect. Taking a lesson with someone I've observed for years but have never taken a lesson from before so we'll see how it goes ;)

Beorn
Herd Member

Postby Beorn » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:33 pm

exvet - please keep updating! He's such a cool dude (like most of your horses!)

Dapple Field
Herd Member

Postby Dapple Field » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:55 pm

Happiness!! I've never seen a gate like your first picture. Why is it shaped like it is ?

Return to “Young Horse Forum and Breeding and Registries”