Found an idyllic retirement barn for my horse

Tsavo
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Found an idyllic retirement barn for my horse

Postby Tsavo » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:15 am

I finally moved my horse to a retirement barn. It is more than I ever imagined. The owner is on the same wavelength as I am about everything... (not) blanketing unless they need it, being in a herd, etc. etc. Everything about the vibe is low key and that seems to extend to the horses on the property. There have been no shenanigans with introducing my horse into the herd (except one) and he didn't lose his shit over the donkeys and mini which shocked me. It was like he felt at home right away and I have never seem him act that way off property before.

In re the one incident, there is a certain paint who not only bullies my horse but I saw him actually charge at my horse tonight. I also saw that horse either kick my horse or try to kick him... I couldn't see clearly. The owner saw that also so we quickly established he won't be with that horse any more. He will be with a few other horses and the donkeys which is wonderful. I am not judging that bully horse and assume he had a rough life or brain tumor or whatever. I am just saying he won't be in the same pasture as my horse again.

He stepped right up into the trailer easily also, something I also didn't expect as I rarely trailer him and he has had issues before.

It's like the whole thing is some sort of kismet. I not only didn't think I would so easily find such a wonderful retirement barn near me but didn't think ones this perfect even existed.

The owner sent his picture of his first full day laying down near some of his new friends. He is partially obscured here.

26696164_10211631843971674_1778031081_n.jpg
26696164_10211631843971674_1778031081_n.jpg (41.79 KiB) Viewed 5902 times

musical comedy

Re: Found an idyllic retirement barn for my horse

Postby musical comedy » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:31 am

Good, I'm happy for you. So is he close enough that you can visit regularly? This isn't one of those places where you have to turn over ownership to their farm is it?

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:03 am

musical comedy wrote:Good, I'm happy for you. So is he close enough that you can visit regularly? This isn't one of those places where you have to turn over ownership to their farm is it?

He is about 20 minutes for my house, closer than my other barn. I intend to go every day after work when I am not at the gym.

No I will never give up ownership of my horse. It's full care and the owner is there all day. I was looking for a lower board than this for retirement but this is low enough given the level of care and quality of the facilities.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:30 am

That sounds perfect! What a gift to find such a situation when you can't bring them home to your own farm.

p.s. I strongly encourage you to shop in Canada for your next horse (mare). Prices are better and I suspect you will have better luck finding a Canadian x WB x draft. Good luck.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:36 am

piedmontfields wrote:That sounds perfect! What a gift to find such a situation when you can't bring them home to your own farm.

p.s. I strongly encourage you to shop in Canada for your next horse (mare). Prices are better and I suspect you will have better luck finding a Canadian x WB x draft. Good luck.

Thanks Piedmontfields.

I think you make a good point about looking in Canada again for my next horse. I have been looking for a while and haven' seen anything I really wanted to sit on yet. Musical Comedy dope slaps me about various aspects of my approach so maybe I am not working optimally here!

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:40 pm

Congratulations on finding an excellent barn. They are hard to come by, retirement or not.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:49 pm

Congrats - it's so freeing to not have to worry about your horse when it's boarded especially as they are getting older.

I would have loved to find a less expensive place for my old guy, but he's been at the same place for 16 years and I think a change would have been too much for him. He's also pretty high maintenance for barn workers/owner so I don't think he'd be welcome at many places. Even with the high board I still have to go every day to make sure he's taken care of.

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:46 pm

Hope it continues to go well with your guy!

I was thinking recently that if I happen to snuff out before my retiree does (he's 26), I have to make certain DH would know to seek out a quality retirement barn for my horse, since DH would not be capable of caring for my oldster. I'll just leave instructions in my will for DH to log on to the DDBB and get some help ;)

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”