Tell us about YOU.

kande50
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Tell us about YOU.

Postby kande50 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:00 pm

Woost2 wrote:
What I love is that is fits him! I hate hate hate droopy browbands. :x This one has swoop and bling while actually fitting. Good job!

What I love is that the bit isn't pulled halfway up to his eyeballs. I think the more relaxed adjustment makes horses look so much more comfortable than the stretched lips look.

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:21 pm

Still Quelah, with still Freeway :D , BIg Jet the Shire, Phantom the aging Shire, and Milagro the black Andalusian cross I bought for DH a while a ago. Additions and subtractions, we now have THREE German Shedders with the relatively recent addition of the hellspawn puppy who is just over a year old now. Baby pic and 1 year old pic attached. I got her when she was 6 months old, she was a security upgrade for the farm and she is perfect in all ways and we adore her to the point of foolishness.

The subtraction being that I sold Prada the beautiful buckskin. I loved him and if he was a dog I would have kept him, but as horse and rider we just didn't quite gel. Fortunately for all, I found the woman whose horse he was always meant to be, and they are very happy together.

I have for the time being kersnabbled DH's horse, and I think I just might start "doing dressage" again :lol: ... :shock: . We'll see how far that goes. He said I can do anything I want with him but I can't cut his mane off.

We'll be looking for another horse next year probably, there will be a VHS unicorn thread, but for now, puppy pictures :)

148736_10205572313880206_681477896861458821_n.jpg
148736_10205572313880206_681477896861458821_n.jpg (41.66 KiB) Viewed 30590 times
148736_10205572313880206_681477896861458821_n.jpg
148736_10205572313880206_681477896861458821_n.jpg (41.66 KiB) Viewed 30590 times
Attachments
18995_10205372306160138_6447072645663660153_n.jpg
18995_10205372306160138_6447072645663660153_n.jpg (192.88 KiB) Viewed 30590 times

OmegaMare
Greenie

Postby OmegaMare » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:08 am

Was and still am OmegaMare, a name I chose by mistake but am keeping it anyway. I didn't post a lot at UDBB, but visited often. I watch and listen a lot IRL too.

I'm 62 and in a phase I've visited before where I say "I'm a rider who does not ride and a writer who does not write". I hope to do something about the writing drought soon... well, it will be foisted upon me, as the fourth book in my YA series has been bought and is scheduled for publication in the fall of 2016. I want to write something outside the YA genre at some point, though writing about young people with energy and young-people-problems is a lot of fun.
The riding problem may not be so easily solved, due to an assortment of health challenges, not the least being Wonky Neck Disorder.
We live on beautiful 10 acres, have a few Barred Rock bantam chickens, and two horses out in the field. One is a19-year old arab/welsh pony, the smartest horse I have ever known, and a really nice person as well. The other is an arab gelding who I need to sell, because the work of taking care of two horses is at times too much for me. And even if I recover from my assorted maladies, the gelding will not be a suitable ride (a therapeutic riding horse would be more appropriate). However, I am reluctant to leave the companion pony without a companion, so my efforts to re-home the gelding have been ambivalent and ineffectual. Maybe in the spring.
At the bottom of the pasture is a river, and the best swimming hole around. There is an eagle's nest in a 1000-year old Douglas fir at the corner of the property. Bears cruise through, and there's a resident herd of deer. The cat chips away at the bunny population.
The neighbours are good, the climate is mild. It's a great place to putter, and nap, and be inspired.
In some ways, I am incredibly lucky, and in others my luck has run thin. It leaves me a lot to think about, which is one of my favourite things to do.

Minz
Novice

Postby Minz » Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:58 am

Minz here and TOB, was Minz000 on UDBB, and was DW many moons ago but lost that login with an old email. I live in "Headwaters Horse Country" a very horsey rural area 1 hour north west of Toronto Canada. I am usually a gr 7 and 8 schoolteacher, but am currently on LTD because I am undergoing cancer treatment. I am on my 3rd relapse of Multiple Myeloma, a blood based bone cancer. I have had two stem cell transplants, but they didn't last as long as I had hoped. Myeloma is incurable so now I am just waiting for a new treatment that will put me in remission again. Fingers crossed. It is pretty weird to think that at 44 I may never work again.
I have a 15yo Oldenburg mare that I have owned since she was 3. She is my dream horse, and I probably wouldn't be riding if I didn't have her. She loves her job, and doesn't rear, buck, spook or trip. She is a big mover, but the safest horse I have ever sat on. 6 years ago we were getting ready for our second level debut but then the myeloma ate away my T7 vertebrae, my spine fell apart and had to be reconstructed with a bone graft, rods and screws. Since then I have been out of the saddle more often than I have been in the saddle, because even though I have a bionic spine, myeloma causes severe bone pain, so every time I relapse, I have to stop riding again. This time I have an awesome part-boarder that is keeping Cadie going so when I feel strong enough to ride, she is fit and schooled. I would really like to show again but every time I make that plan, my health tanks, so I am no longer making plans. I ride when I feel good, and hope to get changes before I have to give up riding for good. My riding days may be numbered, but I am not giving up until I absolutely have to. So now we are working on getting her quick to the aids and consistently in front of the leg.

I have one cat Ollie who is a blue eyed, cross eyed humane society special. He was almost white when I got him and the spots developed at 4 months. He is 6, and although he is the most high maintenance animal I have ever owned, I love him to bits.

Cadie

Ollie

Ollie hugging a tree. He can't climb, but he likes to run up and hug them.

Barnaby aka Fat pony I am going to buy from my neighbours when my riding days are over. We are going to learn to drive dressage together.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:15 pm

Well I was originally exvet when I joined the UDBB during it's first year of inception while living in KCMO. I ended up having to change to exvet2 when I tried to log back on after being a week out-of-touch during my move to Arizona in 1999. I grew up with horses and have never been without one. I have been breeding, owning, showing, and training welsh cobs for the last two-and-a-half decades. Many on the UDBB got to see my kids (both 2-legged and 4-legged) grow up as I shared our equestrian escapades. My 2-legged children are grown and gone now though they are still both involved with horses Two years ago I found myself facing divorce and had to down-size my herd significantly. I ended up keeping my UDBB board infamous stinker pony, my best broodmare, my stallion and his 2014 colt for my future FEI prospect. I sold my small "ranch" place and found an even smaller horse-facility which luckily also has a lighted outdoor arena. I have decided to downsize further and am selling my stallion to my daughter. The pair is one score away from earning her bronze.

As for me and my riding, this year my stinker pony and I returned to recognized shows at PSG. He managed to earn a score just above 60 (61 and change) his first time out. This is the second Welsh Cob I've trained from the ground up to FEI. I am hoping to go further with this little stinker and if all goes well will be showing more next year. Though I will no longer have my stallion, I will be retaining breeding rights and breeding my mare back to him in the spring as well. I have been very, very pleased with the results of the cross, well really with all of my stallion's get thus far. His first two fillies have been started under saddle and are doing well.

With the divorce and downsizing it also came time for me to leave a job I loved dearly; but, due to the need for health benefits the search for a new job was started. I am still a shelter veterinarian but am now the chief vet at a larger no-kill shelter in Phoenix which was originally founded by Miss Kitty of Gunsmoke fame, Amanda Blake (for those of you are around my age, 52). I also am certified in the investigation of animal cruelty and abuse and continue to work for the University of Missouri flying around the country training animal control officers, police officers, prosecutors and veterinarians on the same. I find both jobs immensely rewarding. I am blessed with an awesome staff and good friends.

Here is a picture of the stinker (all 13 hands of him) back at the beginning of this year and a picture of my 18 month old colt, Annwylid Dare to Dream. Both allow me the luxury to continue to dream big even if they're both in smaller packages than most ;)

DollarHorse
Greenie

Postby DollarHorse » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:15 pm

I'm Liz, aka GoldRuler on the UDBB, although I hadn't posted in eons. I was/am a member of the New England UDBB contingent. I've got one horse, Dollar, who was found by the UDBB (Pawsplus & chancellor!) as a three year old. He's 13 this year. He's an ASBxStandardbred. We did the jumpers for many years then, to a chorus of "FINALLY" from many people, we switched to eventing two years ago. We were all set to make our training level debut when we got a bit sidetracked by some SI pain at the end of August, so after fixing him up, we've just been noodling around this fall trail riding as I'm busy with non-horse life and the indoor at our boarding barn is in the final stages of being rebuilt, and daylight disappears quickly these days. I have big plans for spring, though!

Non-horse wise, I have a husband and a dog, Skooter, who's a killer vicious couch potato... I mean pit bull. I work as a scientist in biopharma, and I'm in the final stages of finishing up my PhD in biochemistry, which I did concurrently with working and suggest no sane person ever try. I would by lying if I said today's post wasn't the result of some procrastination of dissertation writing!

Nice to see many familiar names around again.
10155560_10153292097800837_3382519646217309246_n.jpg
10155560_10153292097800837_3382519646217309246_n.jpg (146.13 KiB) Viewed 30530 times

JenniB
Greenie

Postby JenniB » Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:42 pm

I'm Jen, I'm a 39 year old married Mom of 4 amazing kids, and 2 senior dobes, living in central VA. I finished nursing school earlier this year so I'm currently trying to adjust to working the night shift at the hospital - rough at the moment.

Started riding when I was 5 and it flipped some crazy switch in me that made me forever happily horse-obsessed. My parents got me my first horse when I was 12. A great, all-round TB who seemed to have a strong suit for dressage. A pony club friend of mine became a working student for a dressage trainer in PA and I went to visit her at a show. I was immediately hooked. Ended up outgrowing my first horse and purchasing a school master. At the end of high school, I sold my boy and went to college, not really knowing what I wanted to do other than train horses. After two years, I came home and found my way down to central VA where I became the barn manager for a dressage trainer. Worked and learned there for several years and then moved on to Ashanti Farm. At Ashanti, I was able to have so many of my riding dreams come true! I got to compete at Devon, train with Arthur Kottas, and my Int I MFS was 3rd in the Cosequin year end awards in 2002. In 2003, I was set to begin showing G.P. but a younger horse and I had an accident that ended in a broken hip for me. During my recovery, my hubby and I decided that it was time to hang it up for a while and focus on a family. 4 kids later, I don't get to ride very much, but my kids are all interested in learning to ride, so lessons are in their near future and my heart couldn't be more happy. I enjoy reading this board and I'm very happy that it is still going!

tbmares
Greenie

Postby tbmares » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:57 pm

Hello all. I'm tbmares, was tbmaresforme on the UDBB. I posted very lightly there, and I promise to do better! I started riding when I was eight back in MN; in my early 50s now and living in upstate NY (Capital District). I'm a law librarian, no husband or kids (i.e. the 2-legged kind).

I started out riding hunters, then took a break for a few years, and got back into riding when I purchased a 4-year-old molly mule on a complete whim. She was my trail partner for 20 years until her untimely death in 2010. A few years before that I had taken my first dressage lesson (also on a whim, which btw is not necessarily a smart way to go about doing horsey things) and fell in love. I ended up leasing, then buying, an OTTB mare (thus my handle), who I had to retire from competition a couple of years ago. She's still in light work, has no clue she's 24 years old, and I swear still has flashbacks to the top of the stretch at Monmouth Park. If anything, she has taught me how to ride with a certain - finesse.

Since my mare's retirement I still take weekly lessons on schoolies, lease horses when I can find them, and do as much catch riding as I can. This fall I made the decision that it's time to start looking for another horse, one that will get me over the dreaded 1st to 2nd level gulch.

This thread is wonderful!

Baroque
Herd Member

Postby Baroque » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:22 pm

Baroque here from MiddleEarth - also ex udbb.

I've been a bit erratic on there lately mainly due to lack of time. I breed Spanish horses, train in classical dressage and also enjoy Working Equitation with my horses.

In my spare time (what's that?) I also breed rare coloured sheep and run a small farm, spin & weave their wool and am the breed registrar for our Iberian Horse Assn.

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:36 pm

Scruffy the cat. Like I was there. Still the same. Still named after a Boston band from the '80s, not for any overfondness for cats. I mean, they're fine, but...

Anyway, I bought a horse in April. Epona Farm here on the board bred him so it's really nice to be able to see baby pictures and connect with her. He's a 9-year-old RIDSH by Flag of Diamonds out of an O'Leary's Irish Diamond mare. He's exactly the level of challenge that suits me at this time and makes me really feel like I accomplished something when we have a breakthrough. He's making progress in leaps and bounds and meets me at the gate. I can't ask for more. Image
Last edited by scruffy the cat on Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

mld02004
Herd Member

Postby mld02004 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:33 am

Goldruler,
A Ph.D. In biochemistry while working? Good grief, I'm in awe. I didn't even work part time (other than TAing). Good to "see" you again.

Scruffy, love your boy!

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:16 pm

chantal on the UDBB and chantal here. 47, 3 kids (20 daughter, and 2 sons, 16 and 14-where does the time go??) And does DH count as a kid? I guess it depends on the day. Then again, he could say the same about me. No wink 'cuz I'm not kidding. I retired at 30 to raise my kids and currently teach cycling part-time to triathletes and road cyclists with a friend who has his own company. I used to race and don't anymore but am still an avid cyclist, mountain, road, whatever. Oh, and we have a 2 yo Vizsla who is currently resting his head on my arm staring into my eyes. He mountain bikes with us. I love to cook and I love good beer and wine and traveling. But I don't like pina coladas.

I ride other people's horses, have ever since college. The current one is somewhere between 15 and 25 (horse sellers ugh) and we think he's a TB/Hano. He's 17h and a sweet guy but very sensitive. The vet thinks he was bitten by a spider about a month ago and has since had lymphangitis in that leg and now we just can't seem to get the swelling to go away. I know, patience. He's come so far in the almost 2 years that I've been riding him. I ride dressage and take lessons. I do it mainly to improve the horses I ride and because I love to learn and better myself and bacause I simply love dressage. I feel it's the best basic training for any discipline and I laugh because I hated it as teenager in Pony Club. I was all about the jumping and XCountry.

And I've met quite a few UDBB'ers IRL. And for that my kids think I'm crazy. :lol: (they are prolly right)

mwatkins
Greenie

Postby mwatkins » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:57 pm

I was and will always be mwatkins.

My appaloosa, Sport, died awhile back. I had and still have another. Paladin is an "Amish Arabian" who took a detour to my house while on his way to Mexico. He will be staying here in Vermont for the rest of his life.

My husband and I recently moved to a different small town in Vermont. We live in a rustic log cabin and plan to keep a horse here. I am sure you all will be hearing all about the process as it evolves.

Now...let's go check out all your threads...

MagicEm
Greenie

Postby MagicEm » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:39 pm

I'm also loving this thread! I was MagicEm on UDBB and am MagicEm here. I can't remember why I chose it, but I like the ring and a bunch of my friends call me "Em" (short from Emily). I had another name before that on UDBB and then I forgot my login info, but I forgot what that name was :lol: . I'm in my late 20s and have lurked on the board for longer than I've posted . . . back when I was around 12 years old and trying to figure out what the heck dressage was I was playing around on the internet (also fairly new to me at that age) and found the old USDF board. I've been here (mainly lurking) ever since. I'm a grad student living in southeast Michigan with my SO and our 2 guinea pigs. I currently own one horse (that I board) and my previous horse is retired I'm lucky to have my mom look after her.

I grew up in northwestern Ontario. I was never a very athletic kid, but I started riding when I was about 8 and fell in love with horses and riding much more than any other activity I'd tried (swimming lessons, synchronized swimming, skating lessons, outdoor soccer, indoor soccer, ballet/jazz/tap, etc). My mom had just started riding at the time--she trail rode for fun as a kid--and we both became horse crazy together (her for a second time). I got a QH mare with a great work ethic (though not the best conformation) and my mom got a sweet but reactive Morgan gelding. There wasn't much dressage in that area when I was growing up--the odd clinician that came in and some local people who had ridden about 2nd level-ish. So my parents would trailer me to a trainer who based in Wisconsin at the time for the odd long weekend and for me to spend a few weeks as a working student in the summer. The rest of the summer I spent trail riding with my mom. My parents built a 3-stall barn and pasture so we could have keep our horses out there for a weeks at a time. There was a huge network of logging roads (some decades old, others very recent), and my mom I would go for 10-12 mile trail rides a few times a week.

For university, I moved to eastern Ontario. My mare came with me. I only had time to ride a 2-3 times a week, but it was a great stress relief for me. After a few years I found a trainer I liked and for the first time ever I had weekly lessons. Eventually I gave my mare to my mom since her gelding was having soundness issues, and a I leased my trainers retired PSG horse, who had a huge personality and tons of talent, but was the epitome of athletic but tricky. I learned a lot from him. I also met my current SO around that time. He grew up in the area I was going to university, works in the trades and is a good balance for me. When I graduated with my BAH in Gender Studies and a Minor in Psychology, I stayed in the area, did my MA and worked part time at a bank. I also got a new horse, an unregistered Trak mare who was being sold by a friend of my trainer's. She was 5 at the time and just being restarted under saddle (she had about 30-60 days on when she was about 30). i helped my trainer with the restarting, and ended up buying the mare :P . Woops.

Just over 4 years ago my SO and I moved to southeast Michigan, when I got accepted to grad school at University of Michigan. I'm working on my Phd, and I'm on track to finish the summer of 2017. My SO worked as a contractor's assistant for a few years and now works as the personal maintenance man for a very wealthy family. We were living in an apartment complex but recently moved closer to his work into a duplex bungalow that is in a smaller city south of Ann Arbor in the summer and we love it. Conveniently, it's also closer to the barn for me :) . Plus, now we have a deck and a backyard. We also got two guinea pigs in the past year, and absolutely adore them. We love the outdoors and camping. We also enjoy day hiking and started backpacking last summer. We are still very much beginners, but we enjoy the experience and being able to camp in "less accessible places" so it's something we are going to continue to dabble in.

One of my favorite shots from backpacking this summer in Michigan's Upper Peninsula.

Our guinea pigs relaxing:

My horse, Quest:

One of my favorite pictures from about 2 years ago--Quest and I walking beside my mom at a horse show. Since I didn't show dressage as a kid, I've only get to hang out with my mom at a few dressage shows over the past few years (since we live several hundreds of miles apart) and they are precious moments.

Sunshine2Me
Herd Member

Postby Sunshine2Me » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:09 pm

MagicEm - love your piggie house!!! They look highly stressed. Ha!

Backyarder
Novice

Postby Backyarder » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:53 pm

Hi, I'm Backyarder...name picked because I mostly enjoy my horses right in my back yard. I'm 60 and I have worked as a laborer in the natural Christmas tree industry for almost 28 years. Wow, time flies! Before that I was a dispatcher/sales clerk at a large local sand and gravel quarrey..and in the beginning I was a CNA( now known as LPN"s) .
I have owned several horses, starting with a Standardbred gelding that I had from age 18 to age 26, then a QH mare bought as a 11 yr old and sold as a 12 year old , a Morgan/Tb cross mare bought at age 3 and sold at age 5, a perch/Appy cross mare, she was given to me at age 16 and I had her till she was 27..then I rescued a 19 year old Appy, paid $50.00 for him, and had him till he was 33...a kind old soul ...then I bought the mare I have now at 4 months of age and she is now 22 and retired...just retired her last month. I bred her once and she had a lovely filly by a local dutch warmblood stallion but I lost her to a colic situation at age 5.
I am a cat gal and have a lovely long haired calico and have just been adopted by a muted torty !
I have dabbled at dressage and worked hard at it, mostly on my own ..never really got further than some first level schooling and training level showing...I loved the showing and miss it..
I love reading all about you folks and your lovely horses.

calvin
Herd Member

Postby calvin » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:52 pm

What wonderful stories and lovely, lovely horse photos! I am calvin because Calvin came into my life when I was 38. My first horse, but I had ridden quite a bit as a young teen until the usual university age - then did not ride for 23 years - but had met a wonderful friend before I went to law school who, very many years later, gave me the amazing Calvin: wouldn't it be nice to be able to go back in time for just one day, to visit with dear folks who have passed, or our animal friends who are no longer with us? But I digress. Calvin was very well trained - and at 14, also knew every evasion in the book. I taught him to hack out alone and with pleasure and relaxation, and he taught me everything else, especially humility and respect. He was quite opinionated. My friend had a second horse to sell, and I now have him. He was 6 going on 7 when he came to me, and is now 20. I am now !60! which is rather amazing, but time does pass. So, our plans are to do a "Century Ride" because horsie and I both plan to be mentally and physically competent for another 10 years ... here's hoping! In the meantime, I bought two yearlings when Garner Creek Farm was ceasing its Hanoverian breeding activity, and both horses are now 4.5 years old and looking well, very well. They have moved along to new owners, after visiting for a time with a "cowboy" to teach them basic manners, and a dressage trainer to work on everything else. I live in the land of ice and snow, with beaches in the summer and gorgeous woodland trails in the fall (Nova Scotia) and consider myself incredibly fortunate to be able to ride as much as I want at this point in my life. The barn at which I board is 5 minutes away, and has an indoor which is nearly essential on our (dark) and (icy) winter days. As a bonus, the indoor is now insulated - which is magical! I work regularly with my excellent trainer (*I own all of my deficiencies and they are not for want of great training assistance*), and clinic occasionally - most consistently with CIndy Ishoy, and recently with Arthur Kottas and a little while ago with Lisa Wilcox from all of whom I have learned how challenging and rewarding dressage can be, and how much joy there is in even small accomplishments. I am particularly grateful to Lisa for getting on my horse and awakening his inner dressage horse self - so that I could get on and feel what he can feel like. Hard to explain - but a priceless lesson in balance, lightness, engagement, in front of the leg. We are pretty solid at second level, and working on changes and third level balance. My horse spends some time as a hunter with another rider, which is great cross training and good for his mind. And of course, we love to hack! So, in a nutshell, that's us. Now, can I attach a photo of us this summer? Let's see .... yes, I think so ....

11227892_476225639203206_7089364920363832003_o-1.jpg
11227892_476225639203206_7089364920363832003_o-1.jpg (115.96 KiB) Viewed 30039 times

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:41 pm

I love this thread.

MagicEm
Greenie

Postby MagicEm » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:52 pm

Sunshine2Me wrote:MagicEm - love your piggie house!!! They look highly stressed. Ha!

They have a rough life of eating, sleeping, pooping, and asking for more veggies--it requires a lot of naps :lol: . I can't take any credit for the house (other than keeping it clean and full of hay)--it was my super creative and handy SO who designed and built it.

(not sure why the horse pics aren't showing up for me now . . . they were when I posted them. Hmm, I'll have to play around later).

horsepepsi
Greenie

Postby horsepepsi » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:12 pm

Well late as usual. But it wouldn't be me if I was in time for one now would it.?
I'm horsepepsi here just like I was for must of my life on udbb.
I don't have a horse yet tho dh promises in the spring. .. yeah we will see how that goes. He'll do it I know he will.
If he wants another 32yrs of marriage that is. No I love him I'll think I'll keep him. But he doesn't have to know that. ..
I started out in Ohio central Ohio, Columbus in the time of Woody Hayes. Moved around more than one should in three life times mmmm with this last and final move I think it's 50. I ended up in ne/nc Ohio in Dalton. Which is some place between arm pit and heel of foot. Where we have rush second. Hey with a population of 1632 what do you expect. the sr class was a whole 35 last year.
I started riding when I was 15 with a b*tch of a mare who should not have been a first horse. She thew me every day for the first two months I had her. But I stuck with her. And she taught me how to ride and ride well. Though I think I suck at it.
while I was in school they would always stuck me on the most rank schoolies you know the ones who dumped every one else. And I managed to stay on and they listened to me.
There are as must of you know a number of medical problems that dh is sure to get me killed while in riding. I just tell him will you know I died happy.

Mareless
Herd Member

Postby Mareless » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:46 pm

Just discovered this site yesterday, was a poster on UDBB a long time ago, under the name of Mare Rider, but in the last 10 years or so I rarely posted. It is really good to see some familiar names here.

Earlier this month I put down my mare at the ripe old age of 26 due to hind end neurological issues and progressive muscle atrophy, so am currently the owner of two geldings and no mares. Hence deciding to register as Mareless on this forum instead of using my old name. ;)

I'm 44, married for eons, live in mid-Michigan, have a very old 1/2 Arab gelding (coming 32) and a 16yo Quarter Horse gelding, both of whom were mainly my daughters' rides. Since retiring my mare this spring, the 'youngster' has become "my" dressage horse. He's chestnut, and a little hot, and a whole lot of fun to ride if you're not timid (I'm not).

Hoping, since my kids are all grown up now (26--and married with a 3yo and 18mo-- 22, 21 and 18), that I'll have time to be a more regular poster here.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:55 pm

Mareless wrote:Just discovered this site yesterday, was a poster on UDBB a long time ago, under the name of Mare Rider, but in the last 10 years or so I rarely posted. It is really good to see some familiar names here.

Earlier this month I put down my mare at the ripe old age of 26 due to hind end neurological issues and progressive muscle atrophy, so am currently the owner of two geldings and no mares. Hence deciding to register as Mareless on this forum instead of using my old name. ;)

I'm 44, married for eons, live in mid-Michigan, have a very old 1/2 Arab gelding (coming 32) and a 16yo Quarter Horse gelding, both of whom were mainly my daughters' rides. Since retiring my mare this spring, the 'youngster' has become "my" dressage horse. He's chestnut, and a little hot, and a whole lot of fun to ride if you're not timid (I'm not).

Hoping, since my kids are all grown up now (26--and married with a 3yo and 18mo-- 22, 21 and 18), that I'll have time to be a more regular poster here.

How did you find us? I have to do more work to get people to find us which is in my plans.

Mareless
Herd Member

Postby Mareless » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:16 pm

Chancellor wrote:

How did you find us? I have to do more work to get people to find us which is in my plans.

I was actually googling 'dressage daily' and found the thread on COTH (which I was never a follower of) about the udbb forum 'disappearing'. From there, I searched for Definitely Dressage :D

Boudicea
Novice

Postby Boudicea » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:56 am

I've been sorta lurking for a while now. I'm very busy during the week and then get distracted on the weekends. But maybe some remember me from the old UDBB. I was frogling. I changed my name because it felt right.

I still have the very best horse on the planet aka Sol who is now 16 years old. He's a lusitano gelding and I've had him since he was 4 years old. He continues to be a really great guy. I don't know what I'd do without him. He's a peach and a blast to ride. I suspect a lot of dressage people don't really give him a second glance because he's small and not very fancy but that's how I was able to buy him in the first place and really he's an amazing horse who tries his heart out and always wants to please you.

And I still have my two girls, Misaki and Nezumi. They are still causing trouble.

I'm currently working in a lab as a research tech. I'm still have crappy people skills although I try to improve them. But my boss likes me so that's what counts and I like the work I do. And I'm good at it surprisingly.

demi

Postby demi » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:51 am

Hey Boudicea! I was on UDBB for a long time but never (or almost never) posted. I remember the name frogling because I thought it was cute. Glad you're here and I hope we get to hear more from you. I like Sol! And the kitties.

amygdala
Herd Member

Postby amygdala » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:40 am

hi boudicea! i was thinking about you recently--good to hear fromyou--give sol a big smooch from me!

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:35 am

Hello Boudicea - I remember you and Sol and your cats from UDBB. I'm glad you are all doing well and you have a job that you enjoy!

calvin
Herd Member

Postby calvin » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:04 pm

So great to hear from you, Boudicea. I well remember you and Sol and also remember thinking you guys have real talent. I also remembered a wonderful post to you from Lucille / SmithsonLM reminding you, and all of us horse-folk, of the importance of being involved in the human world as well as the horse world, and suggesting that a new screen name was appropriate for you as the tadpole has grown up and matured beautifully! Welcome.

JanD
Greenie

Postby JanD » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:41 am

I'm JanD (same as on UDBB) and just found this board a few days ago. I'm retired so I get to play with my horses more than when I worked. I still live in Western WA. My husband and I have a farm with 2 Lipizzan mares, 1 Morgan mare, and 1 Morgan gelding. It's good to see a lot of people that I know from UDBB. I hadn't been on very much since I retired as I've been too busy :) ! I'm still riding in the yearly clinic in WA with Andreas Hausberger of the Spanish Riding School in Vienna. The following picture is from last year's clinic. This is my 20 year old Lip mare, Cordova (aka Cookie) with me and Andreas doing piaffe.
cliniccookie2.jpg
cliniccookie2.jpg (121.95 KiB) Viewed 29400 times

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:50 pm

JanD wrote:I'm JanD (same as on UDBB) and just found this board a few days ago. I'm retired so I get to play with my horses more than when I worked. I still live in Western WA. My husband and I have a farm with 2 Lipizzan mares, 1 Morgan mare, and 1 Morgan gelding. It's good to see a lot of people that I know from UDBB. I hadn't been on very much since I retired as I've been too busy :) ! I'm still riding in the yearly clinic in WA with Andreas Hausberger of the Spanish Riding School in Vienna. The following picture is from last year's clinic. This is my 20 year old Lip mare, Cordova (aka Cookie) with me and Andreas doing piaffe.
cliniccookie2.jpg

Lovely pic JanD, one of my favorite pics is from a AH clinic doing piaffe

demi

Postby demi » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:38 am

Hi JanD. Love the pic and the mare!

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:57 am

Wow---I am still loving this thread. Great photos and stories!

And so nice to "see" Sol and his person. I'm glad you are doing well.

cb06
Herd Member

Postby cb06 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:27 pm

I am very much enjoying this thread also and not sure what took me so long to find it! :D

I'm an Environmental Scientist by day, and have dabbled in dressage for several years now. I worked at a farm and rode and showed American Saddlebreds when I was younger, did 4-H and collegiate horse judging, but did not have a horse of my own until I was 18.
Rock'n the saddleseat thing, winning an adult equitation class in Princeton, WVa on a young mare at her first show (it was about 98 degrees out, so we were a little 'undressed'. lol!)

Didn't ride regularly for many years through grad school(s), then just mostly pleasure and trail riding my old ASB gelding, who I lost at the age of 25 about a month ago...we had 22 fabulous years together. :(
Bought my next Saddlebred (Will) a few years ago. He had no dressage training, but found a great trainer and turned him from a 10 yr old backyard lawn mower to a pretty respectable dressage horse after only a couple years,with trainer showing him through 4th level (scores 60s/70s).

Life changed (as it will) and I had to scale back my horse budget, so Will became my schoolmaster and all around fun horse. He's been a good sport...I made him herd cows this past year. :lol:
I take lessons when I can, but he mostly just puts up with my middle aged, amateur butt and has been a great partner. :)

eta. also have a golden retriever and 2 cats. (and Scruffy, I work with your boys breeder! :D , small world!)

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:25 pm

Minz wrote:Minz here and TOB, was Minz000 on UDBB, and was DW many moons ago but lost that login with an old email. I live in "Headwaters Horse Country" a very horsey rural area 1 hour north west of Toronto Canada. I am usually a gr 7 and 8 schoolteacher, but am currently on LTD because I am undergoing cancer treatment. I am on my 3rd relapse of Multiple Myeloma, a blood based bone cancer. I have had two stem cell transplants, but they didn't last as long as I had hoped. Myeloma is incurable so now I am just waiting for a new treatment that will put me in remission again. Fingers crossed. It is pretty weird to think that at 44 I may never work again.
I have a 15yo Oldenburg mare that I have owned since she was 3. She is my dream horse, and I probably wouldn't be riding if I didn't have her. She loves her job, and doesn't rear, buck, spook or trip. She is a big mover, but the safest horse I have ever sat on. 6 years ago we were getting ready for our second level debut but then the myeloma ate away my T7 vertebrae, my spine fell apart and had to be reconstructed with a bone graft, rods and screws. Since then I have been out of the saddle more often than I have been in the saddle, because even though I have a bionic spine, myeloma causes severe bone pain, so every time I relapse, I have to stop riding again. This time I have an awesome part-boarder that is keeping Cadie going so when I feel strong enough to ride, she is fit and schooled. I would really like to show again but every time I make that plan, my health tanks, so I am no longer making plans. I ride when I feel good, and hope to get changes before I have to give up riding for good. My riding days may be numbered, but I am not giving up until I absolutely have to. So now we are working on getting her quick to the aids and consistently in front of the leg.

I have one cat Ollie who is a blue eyed, cross eyed humane society special. He was almost white when I got him and the spots developed at 4 months. He is 6, and although he is the most high maintenance animal I have ever owned, I love him to bits.

Cadie

Ollie

Ollie hugging a tree. He can't climb, but he likes to run up and hug them.

Barnaby aka Fat pony I am going to buy from my neighbours when my riding days are over. We are going to learn to drive dressage together.

Jingling for remission!!

Minz
Novice

Postby Minz » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:44 am

Chisamba wrote:
Minz wrote:Minz here and TOB, was Minz000 on UDBB, and was DW many moons ago but lost that login with an old email. I live in "Headwaters Horse Country" a very horsey rural area 1 hour north west of Toronto Canada. I am usually a gr 7 and 8 schoolteacher, but am currently on LTD because I am undergoing cancer treatment. I am on my 3rd relapse of Multiple Myeloma, a blood based bone cancer. I have had two stem cell transplants, but they didn't last as long as I had hoped. Myeloma is incurable so now I am just waiting for a new treatment that will put me in remission again. Fingers crossed. It is pretty weird to think that at 44 I may never work again.

Jingling for remission!!

Thanks Chisamba. You are very kind. I am out of the saddle again because the myeloma caused a spontaneous fracture in my sternum and clavicle in the fall. I am a little worried that I have hit the end, but my awesome friends gave me a gift certificate for driving lessons for my birthday. When the weather gets nicer, and when my bones have healed enough I can't wait to book the lesson. I have driven my neighbours Shire horses, but never a small horse or pony. I didn't know what I was doing, but the shires were dead broke and totally forgiving.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:26 am

Minz, I am sure the pain is excruciating. I hope having driving to look forward to fuels your hope and helps.

Hot4Spots
Herd Member

Postby Hot4Spots » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:12 pm

Well, late to this one. Native San Franciscan, now living (for about 40 years) in the East Bay. I'll be 71 in July, but still working full time because.....horse. Just paid off the mortgage on my mobile home, though. OMG - :o - I'm trailer trash!! I'm a legal assistant.

Started up-down lessons in the City when I was 9, taking from the man who taught my mother. Did hunter/jumper once a week lessons through high school. Once I was working full time, I budgeted and bought my first horse, a 15.2, 7/8 TB Appendix mare. I aspired to do hunters at the Grand National Horse Show at the Cow Palace in San Francisco/Daly City (boy! was I dreaming.). She HATED jumping. SIgh. Great trail horse though. After about 4 years, sold her, bought a full TB (Now I'll get to the big show!). Wrong again. She was only 4 when I got her and hopping over little x's. Turned out hopping over little x's was close to her limit. Boy did she dangle in front. I foolishly persisted, and by now had discovered EVENTING! Flogged her (metaphorically speaking) around Pre-Training (now Novice) courses for a year or two, but was finally convinced to sell her when I saw a pic of her hanging her legs straight down over a solid cross-country oxer. Even though it was only 2'11", I was finally convinced she was going to kill me if I kept trying to jump her. Another good trail horse though. Sold her to a breeder of Arabs who wanted to produce a few Anglo-Arabians..

Then trainer walked in with a schoolmaster Appy for me and within a year I went Preliminary. Hooked on Appies every since. Next one was a honking big near-leopard gelding that I also evented. I had him 11 years, then "retired" him to a friend who trail rode him for another 7. Next beastie was a racebred horse that was one of those "born broke" horses, even though the TB line he descended from was from Man O'War through the notoriously difficult Hard Tack. He didn't care for eventing, though he was obedient enough to give it a try, but I could tell his heart wasn't in it. So we did H/J for a while as well as trail trials. He suffered a fairly serious injury when he was around 9, and while he recovered completely, I thought he was probably better off not jumping, so he became my dressage horse and competed through 2nd level successfully, was schooling 3rd when arthritic complications prevented that. I trail rode him for a year or two - he was so sweet I just COULDN'T give him up.....but then I wanted to continue to work on dressage, so in a moment of "What Were You Thinking?", I retired him, and at age 62 I bought a 2.5 year old Half-Arabian Appaloosa. ("He's an Appy, he'll be easy. They're so laid back." Famous last words.) He's presently trained through 2nd level, but he's the only HOT Appaloosa I've ever had. He' s been quite a challenge and broken bones (mine) have been involved. Sadly, he's currently healing a suspensory injury and through some strange mental quirk, he's been quite agreeable to walk-only exercise and hasn't been out of a walk with a rider on his back since last November (though sometimes he has a camel-sized hump in his back when I first get one - but so far, no explosions). Fingers-crossed. Next vet check is May 2nd.

I'm a commuter, so I get a lot of reading done - history, historical fiction, science, mysteries - just about anything. I'm a big baseball fan (SF Giants) and enjoy theatre, symphony, etc. I used to draw and paint quite a bit, but not so much any more (time, time, time...between commute, job, horse.....) :lol:

demi

Postby demi » Sat May 28, 2016 3:01 pm

Hot4Spots wrote:Well, late to this one. Native San Franciscan, now living (for about 40 years) in the East Bay. I'll be 71 in July, but still working full time because.....horse. .....

Fingers-crossed. Next vet check is May 2nd.....:

Hey, hot4spots! May 2 has come and gone, so how is the suspensory injury coming along? (Sorry if you posted about it on the vet forum and I missed it.)

I'm just making (another) attempt at getting to know the people on this board and to post on forums other than the training forum.

I LOVE that you are one of us older ones (I just turned 63h) still riding. I got my half Arab mare when she was 3 and I was 57 so I can relate to your "What were you thinking moment!!I hope your app is raring to go by now ( FIGURATIVELY!! Of course). I will be looking for updates and pictures of course!

hopscotch
Greenie

Postby hopscotch » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:24 pm

I was Hopscotch on the UDBB (didn't post that much) and decided to stay the same. I am 41 and a federal law enforcement officer. I started riding when I was six and got my first horse when I was 10. I sold my horses when I went to college and bought my first one after college around 2000. In 2005, I bought horse property, brought my horse home and added a few more. My husband and I got married in 2008 and had two kids, now 2 and just turned 4. They are 14 months apart. For many reasons, I decided to sell my horse, a Friesian mare. Two years after I sold her, the owner had to put her down after colic surgery. I also sold my horse property and moved to a cheaper place a mile down the road. Since I sold my horse, I have been running a lot. I have been running since I was 14 years old and it took a backseat to the horses for a long time. It's funny how runners talk about their "free" sport being expensive but it can't compare to owning and riding horses. I ran 3 marathons last year, one this spring with another planned in the fall. I also have a Newfoundland and a Weimaraner puppy and 4 cats. Even though I don't have horses anymore I still enjoy reading this forum. Here's my kids and I from last fall.
IMG_0811.JPG
IMG_0811.JPG (153.54 KiB) Viewed 28896 times

demi

Postby demi » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:11 am

Hopscotch, those kids look like they need a pony!

kande50

Postby kande50 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:24 am

demi wrote:Hopscotch, those kids look like they need a pony!

One big enough for an adult to ride.

hopscotch
Greenie

Postby hopscotch » Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:30 pm

I'm sure they would love a pony but now I don't own horse property. It's nice not having all the extra bills. However, if they want to ride I don't think I will steer them away from it.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:01 pm

I just did another read through on this thread. I enjoy the getting to know you threads
Last edited by Chisamba on Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:05 pm

Hi, I'm Dresseur. Only because I'm terrible at picking names for myself :lol:

I'm 35, I've been riding since I was 5. I started as a hunter/jumper rider, rode anything and everything, especially if it was a "problem horse". I ended up with my heart horse, Sneakers - who is now terrorizing Chisamba with her diva ways. Sneakers was started and shown successfully by Holly Hugo-Vidal and then somehow ended up a ruined horse. The barn where I met her at couldn't breed her, so they shipped her to auction. The auction was filled, so back she came, and my trainer at the time finagled a deal with the owner, and I ended up with her. She's the one who got me into dressage because I realized pretty quickly that to bring her back, she needed to be re-started, and that flatwork was the key. (She would literally throw herself on the ground and refuse to move, or take off in a violent series of line bucks - she was also a dirty, dirty stopper). I made my share of mistakes on her, but she and I learned together and while she wasn't necessarily generous, she tried! I wish I knew then what I know now - and I'm sure I'll STILL be saying that 10, 20, 30 + years from now!

As she aged, I had to make a choice, keep her and retire her, or find a home if I wanted to progress. I couldn't and still can't afford two horses... I was all set to give up my own progress to keep her (I owed her that after the awful past that she had), but a fellow UDBB'r introduced me to Chisamba, who promised a forever home to her. That left me open to find and train and sell a project, and in the meantime, I started training Willie for his owner. Due to the owner's health issues, I ended up being his primary ride, and he was shown successfully at 3rd level before it became clear that as his owner's health issues continued to progress, he needed a new owner. Willie sold last August and he and his new owner are working towards their bronze - unfortunately, he sold one score away from MY bronze!

I now own Miro - a 3 year old Andalusian, who I've been saving every extra cent that I have for, literally for the past 5 years. (we're not rich!) - if the stars align, I hope to be coming down centerline for a GP test many years from now!

In terms of my personal life, I'm an art director at moving and shaking advertising agency. I'm the lead on several national brands and we keep getting bigger and better. Unfortunately, that makes the riding tough sometimes :/. I'm married, no kids yet, but I think that's going to be happening in the near future if I want to stay married. :lol: But, the idea scares me to death! I don't want to have to give up riding - but on the other hand... it's a good excuse for ponies :lol:

goneriding
Herd Member

Postby goneriding » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:26 am

I'm goneriding. I joined the UDBB some time around 2000, and that's always been my name. The UDBB was really special for a long time, if it isn't too weird to say that about an online forum, and I didn't come around here because I figured sometimes things are just gone. But it's nice to see familiar names here.

I am 51, have 2 kids and 2 stepkids, all in their 20s, no grandkids yet darn it. I live about 30 miles from Portland, OR, in Washington state. Three years ago DH and I bought a lovely 14 acre horse property, and it has been heaven and hell all rolled into one. DH is not a farm boy, so I think we'll be moving back to civilization when the right opportunity allows. I do love my farm so I just enjoy each day.

I grew up in Kansas riding western on my backyard horse. I saw the Lipizzaners perform and desperately wanted to learn dressage, but there was no one (who I knew of, since I was a kid) who I could learn from. One of my greatest pleasures as an adult is getting to learn dressage.

I have an 11 year old Oldenburg mare who I've had for 6 years. She's not really a fit for me, we are like sisters who squabble all the time, but it turns out she is a fabulous jumper. I had her in training and thought she was moving toward being sold, but her hormones (which have always been extreme) proved too much for the trainer and she wants to try to find a solution before marketing my mare. I brought her home in the meantime, and I am enjoying her quite a bit, so we'll see.

My other horse is the love of my life who just came to me. When we bought our farm I offered to be a foster home for a rescue organization. They saw that I ride dressage and sent me a 2 year old who they thought might make a good dressage horse (devious people). I was determined to send her back, not looking for another horse, but after a year I couldn't bring myself to part with her so she is mine now. She is a 5yo Shagya mare, and she is the best horse in the world (no offense meant to all those other fine horses, but she is still the best). She makes me smile every day, she is fun and simple and honest, she is smart and bold, she is talented. FWIW, I have fostered a number of horses since and I have sent them all back!

We have three wild barn kitties. We abut 500 acres of timberland. Many deer and bunnies eat my garden, and a spotted owl hangs out in our woods. I came face to face with a coyote while riding one day. We saw a cougar on our driveway one evening, and bear prints on the trail. And I saw a porcupine in the woods! I am a photographer and a writer, and I'm happy with the work I am doing.

It's nice to be here and I hope everyone is doing well!

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:27 pm

goneriding wrote:I'm goneriding. I joined the UDBB some time around 2000, and that's always been my name. The UDBB was really special for a long time, if it isn't too weird to say that about an online forum, and I didn't come around here because I figured sometimes things are just gone. But it's nice to see familiar names here.

goneriding- I don't think it is too weird to say that about an online forum. I met MANY great friends in real life through UDBB and that is why I launched this forum. It hasn't gotten the hold that UDBB had but then again, it has not even been a year yet. So, we shall see.

HaltatG
Greenie

Postby HaltatG » Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:31 pm

Haven't posted here much, though there are certain topics that will always pull me back in! I had a variety of user names on UDBB but decided to go with HaltatG since that's who I am elsewhere in the interwebz.

I took up riding as an adult and became one of the only people I know to buy the "right" first horse. She was a totally bombproof quarab and we did a little of everything. She also taught me so much about caring for an elderly horse with issues. Currently, I have two retired guys - an Andalusian x quarab gelding and a Lipizzaner gelding, who is the love of my life. Last year I bought a young Lipizzaner mare who is everything I love about mares- sweet, hard working and very bonded to me. I also ride and show a friend's imported Andalusian gelding and we have a lot of fun together.

My sweetheart and I also have two retired racing greyhounds and we're devoted to the breed. We live on a 15 acre farmette where we grow hay and organic fruit. I have a "day job" managing a mental health training clinic and am a therapist by training myself.

Everything has been turned a bit upside down as I was diagnosed with breast cancer in late June. Completed chemo, recovering from surgery, and likely facing radiation and more surgery in the future. My horses have been so important in helping me cope. I can be totally in the moment when I ride and forget about cancer all together and that is a huge gift.

Hope everyone had a blessed Thanksgiving.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:21 pm

HaltatG wrote:Haven't posted here much, though there are certain topics that will always pull me back in! I had a variety of user names on UDBB but decided to go with HaltatG since that's who I am elsewhere in the interwebz.

I took up riding as an adult and became one of the only people I know to buy the "right" first horse. She was a totally bombproof quarab and we did a little of everything. She also taught me so much about caring for an elderly horse with issues. Currently, I have two retired guys - an Andalusian x quarab gelding and a Lipizzaner gelding, who is the love of my life. Last year I bought a young Lipizzaner mare who is everything I love about mares- sweet, hard working and very bonded to me. I also ride and show a friend's imported Andalusian gelding and we have a lot of fun together.

My sweetheart and I also have two retired racing greyhounds and we're devoted to the breed. We live on a 15 acre farmette where we grow hay and organic fruit. I have a "day job" managing a mental health training clinic and am a therapist by training myself.

Everything has been turned a bit upside down as I was diagnosed with breast cancer in late June. Completed chemo, recovering from surgery, and likely facing radiation and more surgery in the future. My horses have been so important in helping me cope. I can be totally in the moment when I ride and forget about cancer all together and that is a huge gift.

Hope everyone had a blessed Thanksgiving.

Wishing you well with your treatment. Wishing you well in your treatment and recovery

highoctane
Herd Member

Postby highoctane » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:37 pm

My first post since finding this board :-). I think I was high octane on UDBB as well, joined there in the early 2000s. Things are sort of very different and yet very much the same for me. I'm still in Arlington, WA, boarding Hi-Oc up in Stanwood at tuffytown's barn.

I still have my brat - 1993 OTTB "High Octane", who most of you know as Hi-Oc or Yoksters. He's still a butthead, still bangs himself up any chance he can, and still a goofball. He was diagnosed with EOTRH a few years back, so we're dedicated bitless now. He seems to go much better bitless anyway, and showing was never our forte lol. We were training 3rd when I decided it wasn't fun anymore...while he's talented enough, his brain just doesn't stay with you haha. Now we just dink around for the most part...but I still find myself asking (and getting) shoulder-in, leg yields, and his personal fav - extended trots. Just for old-time's sake.

I've lost quite a few pets in the last dozen years...most to cancer. I'm down to one 16yo cat, Porscha; two dogs - 6yo Bullitt, a Cardigan Welsh Corgi (OMG...if I'd have known that Corgis were this comical, I should have had them YEARS ago!!!), and 9yo V, a Greyhound; three parrots - 18yo Carlos, a Catalina macaw; 17yo Hobbs, an Amazon hybrid; and 17yo Zari, a cockatiel. My husband insists on keeping a tarantula around as well.

I've taken time off mainly due to chronic pain and a few surgeries, the last being on my dominant shoulder to repair a damaged rotator cuff. I'm slowly starting to get back into the game...but it must stay fun this time, or I'm out for good lol!

My hubby and I are very much into the auto racing scene. I restored my '66 Mustang a few years ago, and am slowly turning it from show car into race car. I'm also on a Chump Car racing team, hoping to do a few turns next year if time and budget allows.

Kelo
Herd Member

Postby Kelo » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:19 am

highoctane wrote:My first post since finding this board :-).

Welcome back :) Hope to see more of you around. Your animals are so beautiful!

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”