PPE on a Young Horse-- WWYD?

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

PPE on a Young Horse-- WWYD?

Postby Ponichiwa » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:12 pm

Hey everyone,

I am potentially out of my mind, but I am inquiring about a young horse (yearling) that has caught my eye. If you were the buyer of a dressage-bred WB yearling from a well-known barn, how extensive of a PPE would you go for?

I'm assuming no flexions since that's a young young horse with young young legs. Are xrays worth it with a horse this young? If so, feet/hocks/ankles/stifles or just some of the above?

I've actually never bought a young horse before and all my PPEs have been able to be verified with how the horse feels under saddle, so this is a whole new can o'worms for me.

Thanks!

StraightForward
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: PPE on a Young Horse-- WWYD?

Postby StraightForward » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:44 pm

When I had my warmblood vetted as a 2 year old, I had radiographs of the knees, hocks and stifles to check for OCD lesions - not sure how often they're formed in yearlings though. I also had front feet done and had all the imaging sent to my local vet to review. If I could have been present for the vetting, I may have just discussed the horse's conformation and hoof form in detail with the vet. The knee images did reveal that she is very slightly back at the knee, though it's not clearly evident looking at her. The attending vet didn't note this; my vet did in reviewing the radiographs. I consider it good information to have as an owner.
Keep calm and canter on.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:34 pm

with the number of coffin bone deformities in warmbloods i would get radiographs of the feet. Its useful anyway, to have a baseline set of radio graphs even from a youngster.

Definitely have a vet listen to heart, for a healthy lup dup, ( no leakage) lungs, and an overall examination for bone spurs, youngsters are capable of wierd old injuries that can show up as problems when they are started under saddle. absolutely and for sure have the eyes examined.

Again i am not sure of your price point and how well you know the breeder, but i would also consider ocd lesions, I suppose i would ask your vet if they show up in yearlings.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:48 pm

I agree with the radiographs / OCD concerns (at the very least, it is a bargaining point even if you go ahead).

I would also thinking about testing for PSSM. It is such a heart breaker and can be a real challenge to manage. Probably very few WB breeders actually test and eliminate breeding based on testing, but the condition is out there in WBs (not just in drafts and QHs).

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:57 pm

In my experience, do everything that you possibly can afford to do. Doesn't matter if it is a baby or a mature horse. It is money well spent and a potential money saver down the road.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:04 pm

Sadly a moot point at the moment-- someone offered on the horse I was looking at approximately 12hrs before I did. Thanks for the feedback, though!

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:23 am

Oh, bummer Ponichiwa! We were all looking forward to watching the young-un grow up with you. Maybe another exciting youngster will appear on the horizon soon. I do understand the palomino desire, not to mention going for breeding similar to a beloved partner!

khall

Postby khall » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:24 pm

Ponichiwa I thought of you when I saw a FB ad of a DHH g, 5 yr old. Cool looking horse, good price and already started.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:45 pm

khall wrote:Ponichiwa I thought of you when I saw a FB ad of a DHH g, 5 yr old. Cool looking horse, good price and already started.

Would you mind sending a link my way? I'm not actually actively looking for another horse (I tell myself...) but if the right one comes along I'd be an idiot not to, right?

Right.

Yes.

From a phasing perspective, my mare is now 11 and is actually rideable most of the time (weather permitting), so it's just about time to introduce a young horse into the equation. I was thinking yearling/weanling mainly because that syncs pretty well with when Kiwi may be ready to step down in work effort-- maybe.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:42 pm

You think Kiki is going to be ready to step down in work effort at age 15?

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:25 pm

musical comedy wrote:You think Kiki is going to be ready to step down in work effort at age 15?

Honestly-- barring injuries, probably not. Ponies do seem to work for quite a while. The above is mainly a justification to myself that it's OK to buy a cute young horse.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:26 am

Perfect position to pounce when just the right youngster comes along.

Sorry this one didn't work out, but you're gathering info for the next opportunity.
Keep calm and canter on.

khall

Postby khall » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:10 pm

Return to “Veterinary, Nutrition, Grooming & Farrier Questions”