Class of 2013?

Anne
Herd Member

Re: Class of 2013?

Postby Anne » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:41 am

Demi and MC - thanks for your positive comments! We've not measured Fergal, but think he is about 15.3hh. He's a shade taller than our measured 15.2hh gelding. He feels tiny next to our other big boys (16.2hh 3/4 Irish Draught and 16hh 1/2 Andalusian, very solidly built, and even the 15.2hh boy is much bigger boned than Fergal), but I think he is going to be an ideal size for me.

Honestly, I was pleasantly surprised I could swing my leg over his rump and drape over him.... my flexibility has definitely declined over the years (I'm now in my early 50s....), but thankfully have retained some!

Next goal is to sit up on him bareback, and then get a few steps. Will do this in an enclosed yard, and just see how we go. The good thing about bareback is that it is easy to slide off if they get a bit tense.

Here's another photo of his cute face!

fergal-mount-blk2-cropped.jpg
fergal-mount-blk2-cropped.jpg (84.93 KiB) Viewed 29259 times

Anne
Herd Member

Postby Anne » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:17 am

Have made some further small steps with Fergal over these last couple of weeks. Primarily, hopping on bareback a number of times, putting a saddle on his back (no girth yet), and tightening a surcingle and walking around with no bucking. The surcingle achievement was quite a relief. I'm not certain that he won't have another major bucking session, but he seems much calmer with everything, so perhaps getting his brain in a better place (less tension) has made a difference.

Last night, my other-half legged me up and led us around the yard, and I coordinated a leg aid with his voice command 'walk-on'. No dramas at all! Repeated this afternoon (leg up, lead around) in a larger area and again, perfectly fine, seemed calm and confident, and turned around to take a treat from me. Good boy!

Anne
Herd Member

Postby Anne » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:19 am

Further progress with the young man: having sat on him a few times, we progressed to walking around the yard, then arena bareback, and doing some stop, go and turn.

Also got the saddle on and girth tightened with no drama - I feel that is our biggest achievement so far, given his initial violent bucking reaction to the surcingle. And have walked around, first in the yard, then the arena with the saddle on - still on the lunge-line, but he's understanding my aids for stop, go and turn very well.

I'm now away for work for a bit, but my other-half will continue some lunge and in-hand work.

Here's a couple of photos to document our achievement! :

ride-saddle-1.jpg
ride-saddle-1.jpg (92.38 KiB) Viewed 29186 times

ride-saddle-2.jpg
ride-saddle-2.jpg (62.12 KiB) Viewed 29186 times

demi
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby demi » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:17 am

Progress!! Congratulations. He looks promising!

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:40 am

You're really talented with the young horses. I'm impressed. Getting on an unstarted horse bareback :shock: I like this young horse a lot and you fit him well.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:47 pm

Nice progress - how exciting to be up in the tack!
Keep calm and canter on.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:16 pm

Great progress! You guys are really looking good.

Anne
Herd Member

Postby Anne » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:27 am

I got back from work 2 weeks ago. While I was away my partner kept up a bit of lunging work with Fergal and he's generally much more settled and confident. He got canter right happening reliably, canter left much more difficult though. He also introduced cavaletti. He did have one set back while I was away - Fergal spooked at something and took off bucking around the paddock. And thereafter was suspicious of the surcingle for quite a spell.

Now that I'm back, the aim is to work up to riding again : to that end, we introduced side-reins this week, and I've also been up on him a couple of times, and walking around bareback on a short lunge line. Tomorrow, weather permitting (ie as long as not too windy or pouring with rain!), will put the saddle on and have a mosey around the arena.

Here's a few recent photos, was pleased with how he accepted the side-reins, not too much fuss, tossed his head a little like he was trying to work out the contact, but happy to go forward. I forgot to put his hoof boots on, so he wasn't moving out quite as freely as when he has his boots on (he's barefoot, and still adjusting to our conditions), so we kept this session short, but he was very biddable. I like the way he is reaching with a slight arch to his neck, and getting a little bend.

It's hard to believe, but Fergal has been with us nearly 6 months. And I feel that only this last month or so has he got really much more comfortable with the general handling (catching, leading, tying up, feet). It seems to have taken him that long to settle in to his new surroundings and routine. He does seem to be a rather reactive and sensitive type, and I think missing those early years of handling means that it has taken him longer to accept things. But I think we are making progress!

fergal-side-reins-trot-left1.jpg
fergal-side-reins-trot-left1.jpg (30.11 KiB) Viewed 28977 times

fergal-side-reins-trot-left4.jpg
fergal-side-reins-trot-left4.jpg (59.99 KiB) Viewed 28977 times

fergal-side-reins-trot-right.jpg
fergal-side-reins-trot-right.jpg (65.38 KiB) Viewed 28977 times

Anne
Herd Member

Postby Anne » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:41 am

And, today, we trotted under saddle!!!! We rode yesterday, just at walk, and mostly following his buddy. Today, didn't have the other horse, but my partner stood in the centre of the ring and we worked around him, and because Fergal felt so comfortable, we both asked for trot and off he went, very matter-of-fact, didn't seem to struggle with his balance. We checked before hand that we felt ready for it ('Do you want to try a 'T'? - code, because F. knows the word 'trot' so well!!), then I just shorted my reins a little, took some mane with my outside rein for extra balance and we both said 'trot-on', and got a nice prompt transition. Finished with a few circles of walk, asking for a little correct bend (difficult to the right, where he wants to fall in), to which he responded, after a little persistence - 'here is my leg, now flex a little, but keep going'!. Feeling happy with the young lad right now - given what I've seen he can do (panic and buck big time), I'm really happy he is responding well to the initial rides.

Anne
Herd Member

Postby Anne » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:49 pm

Have had 9 rides now, including one 'out on the trail' (aka, down and up our long driveway). He had his buddy there, and happily walked and trotted both behind and in front. Already he is much more prompt in his transitions, and starting to bend correctly. I'm sure we'll have some testing times (as has exvet in the other thread!), but happy with progress so far.

Hope that you others with similar age youngsters are having fun (Linden16? Red's Mom? - I see Heddylamar and Straightforward posting in the 'training' forum...)

fergal-trot6.jpg
fergal-trot6.jpg (63.68 KiB) Viewed 28910 times

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Sat May 05, 2018 12:18 am

I'm glad to see you're out and about on your boy Anne. He's looking great! I've been reading your posts here, but obviously not posting much.

Maia's advancing nicely, despite the human setbacks we've faced since Thanksgiving ... no more breaking myself? I hope.

She's stepping into the canter immediately, albeit from the walk, on both leads. I introduced shoulder-in at the trot last week, to try an exercise from a former trainer — shoulder-in at trot, 1-2 steps straight, then canter. She picked up the concept of shoulder-in at the trot immediately, but the trot-canter transitions are still a challenge.

Once my wrist is fully healed and out of the splint, I'm going to introduce cross rails and trails. We've done some in-hand trail walking, but there's only so many miles I'm going to walk her ... it would be better if she'd trot along side me while I ran trails :lol:

Of course, I've been out of town all week, and the BO called the other day to say Maia's lame, but not so lame she's taking it easy. No, my girl has been out running like a crazy woman up and down the pasture. BO thinks it's likely an abscess.

Anne
Herd Member

Postby Anne » Tue May 08, 2018 12:08 am

Oh, I hope Maia comes right quickly.... if it is an abscess, running around on it is probably the best thing she can do!

I probably jinxed myself by posting above.... the very next day Fergal was in a spooky and somewhat uncooperative sort of mood. We'd done a spell of okay walk/trot work (marred by some stopping and looking/spooking-in-place, though I got him going again), then were trotting past C and boom - spook, leaping forward with small bucks, getting bigger.... I couldn't stick on, but managed to fall quite well, rolling over my right arm/shoulder/hip, and despite being a bit sore, hopped back on and did some further work. I'd actually read up the night before on 'how to fall off', so remembered the salient points (push away from horse, tuck and roll), and having this fall has actually made me more confident that I can cope in the future. I mean, I do hope to be able to stop him bucking, but if I can't at least (touch wood!) I can bail in an effective manner.

Had one more 'trail' ride and one more arena ride (no problems, though he *was* a bit spooky in the arena) before heading back to work (away from home), but my partner will keep up with the lunge and in-hand work while I'm away. My mission while I am away is to try to keep my fitness up, to which end I am looking up gym exercises for riders (have access to a basic gym), and will try to walk up and down the available stairs (3 flights), 10 times per day..... I'm on a boat, so 'real' exercise opportunities are limited....

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Wed May 09, 2018 5:39 pm

I picked up some resistance band and hand weight exercises from physical therapy last fall for my left hip that I’ve kept in rotation. The increased strength in my legs (and I’m already strong — distance runner, bike commuter) has had a big impact on leg effectiveness in the saddle. No more wimpy left leg :D

Pistol squats. This guy has a great how-to progression for all sorts of squats — use a chair, nearly sit down. Eventually, after you learn the movement, you can forgo the chair.

Romanian deadlift. Begin by picking up something light (5#) from the seat of a chair, eventually moving the object to the floor over the course of 2 weeks.

Lateral squat-walk with resistance band. The key is to side step (v. drag your foot) and never allow the band to become loose.
Last edited by heddylamar on Wed May 09, 2018 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Wed May 09, 2018 5:42 pm

And a few more:

Squats and bridges on a bosu ball. Any sort of unstable surface will work for these. Even standing on a foam pad v. hard floor.

Lunges with resistance band. This guy has the best explanation of form that I found online, although my PT had the band above the knee, not below.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Wed May 09, 2018 5:52 pm

Anne wrote:I couldn't stick on, but managed to fall quite well

Ouch!! Hopefully no lasting bruises were incurred! It's crazy how quick a 1,000+ lb horse can relocate itself ... right out from under the rider!

Anne
Herd Member

Postby Anne » Thu May 10, 2018 12:57 am

heddy - thanks *so* much for the gym stuff, it is really helpful to have 'real world' feedback on useful exercises. I managed 12 flights of stairs yesterday, and 8 so far today, so one more 'rep' to get in before bed time...

My bruises are healing but I have one on my right elbow which is making my 'plank' exercises painful at present..... it is improving daily but a bit of a nuisance at present. Any of the balance exercises are tricky as we are in 2 to 3m swells, but hey, it adds to the challenge!

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Thu May 10, 2018 2:18 pm

The unstable surface of the swells will add to your core strength! Just stay near a wall so you can stick a hand out for balance if need-be.

khall

Postby khall » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:39 pm

Ouch! No fun when you get tossed I know Anne! I'm still working with my 2014 filly, not on her yet, just ground stuff but very pleased with what I am seeing. Updating her thread.

Anne
Herd Member

Postby Anne » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:29 am

A brief update.... back from work last week, to find that canter is well installed on the lunge, a big step forward considering he could only manage a 1/2 circle when I left, and only on the right rein. He still finds right rein much easier than left at canter, but does not easily bend right (and therefore accept the left rein). I've done a number of in-hand walks with him in the last week, reminding him he has to pay attention to me, march forward at walk, halt promptly, and step sideways when asked. Just basics, but so important.

I've sat on him once (bareback) as a reminder for him, and plan to ride in the next couple of days, weather permitting (snow on the ground here at the moment).

Managed to keep some fitness up while I was away (thanks again heddylamar for your gym suggestions!), though I could have done more....

fergal-canter-left1-sml.jpg
fergal-canter-left1-sml.jpg (51.05 KiB) Viewed 28423 times
Attachments
fergal-canter-right1-sml.jpg
fergal-canter-right1-sml.jpg (64.05 KiB) Viewed 28423 times

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:53 pm

I'm glad that helped a bit! Fergal's looking fuzzy and cute :D How cold are your winters?

Anne
Herd Member

Postby Anne » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:08 am

Yes, he's certainly got the winter woollies at the moment, though I noticed he is just starting to moult (a few hairs anyway) now we are past the shortest day. Winters are not too bad, usually around 10 degrees (Celcius! so ~50 F), a bit less at night. But we do get snow sometimes, and frosts. Had a fall of snow last week (about 2 inches) which sat in the shady parts for over a week.

Pleased to report I've had about 5 rides now, with no dramas. He still feels a bit spooky and reactive, but I'm trying to keep him busy to keep his focus on me rather than the spooky side of the arena. Will try to get him out down the drive in the next week.

Anne
Herd Member

Postby Anne » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:02 am

Patchy progress this month, due to me wrenching my back mucking out the paddock. Fergal had 3 weeks of just lunge / leading work, but I climbed back on last week and he's been great. Had our first canter yesterday (uphill, following his buddy, no worries!), and out again today along our tracks and paddocks, riding up and down, through mud, stepping over logs, all good! Proof:

fergal-box-track1-sml.jpg
fergal-box-track1-sml.jpg (182.45 KiB) Viewed 28080 times

trot-left.3.jpg
trot-left.3.jpg (78.86 KiB) Viewed 28080 times

trot-right.1.jpg
trot-right.1.jpg (82.35 KiB) Viewed 28080 times

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:51 pm

Looks like great progress, and awesome that he's getting out and about from the beginning!
Keep calm and canter on.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:01 pm

StraightForward wrote:Anyone else? My new 2 yo arrives within the next week. She knows how to tie, load and pick up her feet. That is about it :lol:

I'm trying to think of all the new things she will need to learn:

Wearing blankets
Cross-tying
Going through barn alleys (she's been raised on 100 acres with a run-in shed)
Getting used to 4-wheelers, tractors, dogs, little kids
Fly spray
Hoses/bathing
Leg wraps/wearing boots
Being away from the herd
More in-hand work (trotting, turning hips/shoulders away from pressure, backing)
Wearing tack
General idea of lunging
Going new places

What are you working on with your babies to prep them for their working lives?

Oh wow, I'm right back here again with a 2016 baby. :lol:

She is pretty good with bathing and fly spray already, and has worn tack and been lunged a few times. Going in and out of buildings is our current challenge. The aisle into the indoor arena is too narrow to turn a horse around in, so I'm working up to it, walking her partway in and backing out. Of course she likes to give the metal trash can by the entrance a little shove and then scare herself before we can go in. Yesterday we took a walk down the irrigation canal bank and she was great, even passing the spillways with lots of loud, rushing water. I'm working on convincing her that she can be led from the right side, and can move her shoulders away to the left.
Keep calm and canter on.

demi

Postby demi » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:11 pm

Fergal is looking good! When I saw these last pics I though he has really changed, so I scrolled back to refresh my memory of his earlier pics. Big improvement!

I usually just read the dressage training forum regularly so I often miss stuff on other forums. I hadn’t seen the physio/gym stuff that heddylamar posted on this thread until I scrolled back to look at Fergal. Thanks heddy! There were some great exercises that even older ones like myself can do, like the Thera band squat walk, and the Thera band assisted knee/hip stabilizer. Plus I like how the pistol squat vid gives steps on working up to it. Not that I’ll ever be able to do pistol squats, but the concept of working up to these things is excellent..sorry to derail.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:09 am

Fergal is going great! I envy your buddy! I've been riding Maia out on my own, which can be hair raising. But, my barn is teeny (3 other borders, plus BO) and ranges from experienced, but only cross paths every 6 month, to timid. I decided we're better off on our own than out with a timid pairing. If we encounter a problem, I'll see if the renter (rider too, not at all timid) can ride my other mare, Anzia, out with us.

demi wrote:I usually just read the dressage training forum regularly so I often miss stuff on other forums. I hadn’t seen the physio/gym stuff that heddylamar posted on this thread until I scrolled back to look at Fergal. Thanks heddy! There were some great exercises that even older ones like myself can do, like the Thera band squat walk, and the Thera band assisted knee/hip stabilizer. Plus I like how the pistol squat vid gives steps on working up to it. Not that I’ll ever be able to do pistol squats, but the concept of working up to these things is excellent..sorry to derail.

Yay! I'm happy to share the PT largess. Those srengthening and stability exercises have made a huge difference on my weaker side, both riding and running.

Anne
Herd Member

Postby Anne » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:45 am

SF - I hear you on the leading from the right, Fergal was just the same. He's good now, just quiet perseverance has done the trick.
Don't apologise for derailing Demi! They are a good set of exercises, and I really appreciate Heddy having posted them.
Heddy - yeah, it is great to have a reliable buddy to ride out with (my SO), he's been really patient and encouraging. Yesterday he said, "You know, I think Fergal is going to be a Good Horse". :-)

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:53 pm

I'm joining you guys! I've got a 2013 QH stallion (for now... scheduled for a trip to the vet soon) that I've nicknamed Queso. He's not broke yet, but I get a strong feeling that it won't be that eventful. He wore a saddle pad and a surcingle for the first time yesterday, and it was adorable:

Complete non-event. He was the best boy.

khall

Postby khall » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:00 pm

You got your golden horse!! Excellent that he was ok with the surcingle. It is not a bad thing he did not have much done with him, now you have a clean slate to work with. You know, if he does not end up being your regular dressage horse he would probably clean up in Western Dressage!

demi

Postby demi » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:44 pm

He’s good looking horse! Can’t wait to see what you do with him.

Anne
Herd Member

Postby Anne » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:25 am

Welcome Ponichiwa and Queso! I'm looking forward to your updates, he looks like a very cool dude.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:39 pm

Yesterday, we came. We saw. We sat on Queso, and there were no issues.

I think we'll take an easy day today (handwalk around the property? Baby longeing? Not quite sure yet, but that's what I'm thinking about instead of work) and take a foray into leading with a rider tomorrow.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:29 pm

Queso update: we went on our first solo walk around the arena without the longe line yesterday. Aside from one "WAAH" moment where he put his nose in the air (and that's the total extent of the evasion), he was perfect. I am very impressed with his brain.

Related news: his go-to evasion on the longe is a very lovely collected canter. No motorcycling, no scramble, just a lot of sit.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:07 pm

Love reading about how much fun you are having with Mr. Queso. Keep the updates coming!

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:20 pm

piedmontfields wrote:Love reading about how much fun you are having with Mr. Queso. Keep the updates coming!

Thanks! I'm having so much fun with him. It's been 8 years since I've worked with a freshly started young horse; I forgot how much they learn in the first days under saddle.

More related news: Queso wore polo wraps for the first time and was a perfect gentleman. High risk of matchy-matchy in his future now.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:59 pm

The good news is that just about any color looks good on a Pal-o-mine-o.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:40 pm

Queso is now 2.5 weeks under saddle! Full disclosure: one of those weeks was spent recuperating from his transformation from stallion to gelding. So we're not up to cantering on the trails just yet. I have ridiculous and unreasonable expectations.

In that time, we've installed:
- Longe manners. He's been surprisingly good at accepting the changing rules that come with being a dressage horse instead of a stock horse, and yesterday all of his halts on the longe stayed on the circle instead of turning to face in. What a smart boy!

- Mounting. He cannot be bothered to react to a rider stepping on/into the stirrup. Or swinging a leg over. Or accidentally hitting him in the hip with my foot (sorry about that!).

- Longeing with a rider. So far just at the walk and trot; going to hold off on cantering until the halts are installed. Right now, they're well-intentioned but remain somewhat shaky.

- Walking/halting without a ground person on bended and straight lines. Essentially the greatest.

He's also bulking out a bit. Here's a poor picture of him impersonating an Andalusian:

Looking sharp in green:

And modelling his new bridle:

They grow up so fast.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:32 pm

He is so awesome! Very nice Iberian horse imitation, too :-)

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:09 am

Queso is looking great!

Maia and I had a trailer loading mishap today. Trailer meet face. No major structural damage (miraculously), but a possible chipped bone (didn't show on radiographs, but there was a crunchy feeling) under the wound site and blood in her sinus cavity. She has 6 staples, and I feel like a terrible, terrible horse person.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:22 pm

Heddy, I home Maia is OK! Trailering is just fraught with opportunities for danger. :(

Ponichiwa, Queso is one handsome dude! Are you going to keep that mane? It would be a shame to cut it, and he looks quite nice with a running braid. I don't know exactly how they do it, but my friends with Arabians do some sort of button/cobra braids with long manes and it comes out looking good.

My 5 year old is plugging along. Actually, now that I have a 2 year old, she feels like the old plug, lol. Still working on training level basics though, and jumping itty bitty crossrails when the mood strikes.
Keep calm and canter on.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:52 pm

Heddy-- I echo SF's sentiments. Hope all is well with Maia. That's some scary stuff. Face wounds bleed like the dickens, too, which is horrifying to a non-medical person (like me).

As far as Queso's mane-- honestly, I'm just keeping it long for now so I have a handle in case something goes south while we're still in the unreliable phase of going under saddle. When I feel more confident that I don't need an oh-s*** strap, I think I'll be trimming it down to look more dressage-y.

The running braid is actually easier and quicker than I thought it would be to do up before we ride (and I leave out a big enough hank that I can still reliably grab mane when necessary), but I'm trying not to go too overboard with the Barbie dream horse look.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:09 pm

After a day of "my face hurts," Maia's back to eating just fine. I've never owned another horse who you can just stick all of their meds in the grain .... but this girl? No problem. She just slurps it all up, bute, antibiotics, and all. :shock: :shock:

This was the aftermath:

It also took her all of 2 hours to rip the vet-ordered brand new fly mask from top to bottom. She's wearing her momma's fly mask right now ... I've got to pick up another one that fits her better.

Running braids are quick and versatile. When I was riding more Polish Arabs, I knew quite a few riders who showed 2nd-4th level dressage with a running braid.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:54 pm

Ouch!! Hope Maia is recovering well. Incidentally, she's got a lovely eye.

I did a stint between high school and college as a working student at a Friesian barn back in the day-- talk about hair! The head trainer would warm up at shows with the manes loose and would throw in a quick running braid about 5 min before going into the test. I don't have that kind of skill (or patience... that's so much hair!).

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:16 pm

Poor Maia! Glad it was not worse. Wishing her rapid healing and no big worries about future trailering.

The running braid will look great on Queso. Do not deny us Barbie dream horse braids.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:01 pm

Queso is now getting group turnout with the posse of other geldings at the barn. He's taking to the herd like he's been there his whole life, which is great... up until they have group rolling sessions out in the clay beds. Now his mane and tail are matching his body color. That's not what I wanted.

In other good news, we're officially off the longe line at the walk and trot under saddle. We also went on our first trail ride on Saturday and it went so well that we went for a repeat on Sunday. He's getting more and more confident every ride. Additionally, I think the work out of the arena really helped his steering.

Next up: firming up the canter (much better to the L than to the R) on the longe, incorporating trotting AND steering simultaneously (it's harder than it sounds), and maybe trying out some canter under saddle in the next week or two.

Anne
Herd Member

Postby Anne » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:09 am

Heddy - I'm hoping Maia is healing up well, thank goodness at least that it's easy to get her to eat her meds!
Ponichiwa - sounds like super progress with the lovely Queso, ha ha, I get you on trotting and steering at the same time.

Fergal is making steady progress, though from the outside it probably looks slow... Mostly rhythm, straightness/steering, halt/walk/trot transitions. We're getting out of the arena a few times a week. Last week's challenge was riding across a narrow concrete bridge (following his buddy, little bit spooky, but fine), and walking past neighbour's paddock which has 2 fluffy ponies in it, cue eyes on stalks and neck in the air, but he settled (sort of). Today was canter when I asked (not just following along when his buddy canters), and trotting across a little cross-rail. All good! Every little bit of progress still feels exciting!

Have been re-watching a lovely series of videos from a Danish bloke called Peter Amris: starts at part A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj3SvvZ ... F752050E56

and goes through to about L. Around 10 mins each video. I just like the way he works with both the younger horse and the older horse.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:55 pm

This has been a great week for Queso. Today we successfully cantered under saddle, both directions, and without any drama. Once more, for those in the back: successful canter strike-offs both ways like grown-up horse. I'm so happy with the little guy. He's a cantering machine!

He's also done some trail riding as a lead horse (successfully), trotted in figure-8s (successfully), and I dyed his mane and tail white again (somewhat successfully).

Here he is, looking windblown and excellent after our cantering excursion today:

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:31 pm

Great updates, all! I believe Queso is trying to smile along with you, Ponichiwa. :D

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:29 pm

Maia's face is healing just fine. She has a few white spots (the wounds, and where the staples went in), but it's smooth and looks great. There won't be a scar.

I nearly always load by myself, so fixing the trailer loading problem is a high priority. We're overdue for a riding lesson ... and taking her to a fall show isn't looking promising. There are is a winter hunter jumper series I may be able to get her to instead.

We're still in the process of dinner in the horse trailer ... which is messy. She's a choker, so there are wet grain lip prints and dribbles everywhere (I'm one of those "scrub the trailer" people, so it makes me twitchy). After asking too much last Friday and digressing, I went slower last night, and finally had all 4 feet in the trailer. Not quite far enough for the butt bar, but it was a good stopping point.

Windblown Queso looks like he's having a blast! That mane is pretty great.

I sent Maia off for steering lessons, so I missed out on that fun this time, Anne. It can be a bit like riding a stumbling drunk :P

Red's Mom
Novice

Postby Red's Mom » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:20 pm

Wow, I just reread this entire thread! Since I never could figure out how to post photos, at least not easily, I lost some interest in posting, as photos really do make the DDBB more fun. I sure do enjoy seeing all your photos and progress.

Red and I have made a lot of progress since I last posted about a year ago! But we have had some bumps along the way. In my last post on this thread, I mentioned how I had found out Red had a bowed tendon before I got him, but I didn't know it. I decided to not push, take things slower than I normally would etc... Well, that didn't pay off. I fell into a bad horse owner phase. At times he didn't get out for weeks at a time. He does live in a large corral, so he could move about, but I wasn't riding him much.

A friend gave me a call and wanted to ride in order to get some photos for her acting portfolio. Basically, Red was still a mellow guy, although he had not been ridden in a couple weeks, but I thought he would be fine justwalking around so... I let her come out to have a walk around the arena. It was late afternoon, he hadn't had dinner yet, my friend was whooping it up, shouting cowboy sayings and all of a sudden, Red did a very high rear! My friend fell off, oh dear, it was awful. At that point, I got on, and he did the same thing with me, though not as high. I calmed him down, got him walking around the arena, then got off and put him away. No one got hurt. Since I had been filming, I got the whole rearing episode on video. All of this got me realizing what a bad owner I had been, and I resolved to rectify the situation, so the next morning, I saddled up Red and within a minute he was rearing again! My nice calm easy going guy had turned into a dangerous horse! What the !!!@%!!!

Lucky for me, my farrier had the name of a trainer that he thought was great. I gave the guy a call, and he came out and has been training Red and me for a few months now. Sean, the trainer quickly got Red back on track. Red is back to being a super easy going guy. He loves arena work and is progressing very nicely. He still has never shown any lameness. His bow, if he actually ever had one,must not have been too serious.

Red is doing really well under saddle in the arena. He still is not totally confirmed with his right lead, but he is so much better. I took him to a schooling show. My trainer rode him T-2 and got a 66+. He would have done better, but he had to try 3 times for him to pick up the correct led going right. I rode him Intro 2 and got a 69.7. The best part about the whole experience was how calm Red was about everything. He acted the same at the show grounds as he does at home! He even picked up the wrong lead the same! That show was in July.

We were scheduled to go to another schooling show on Sept. 9th, but I was thrown and fractured my pelvis on the 5th, so I had to scratch that! I was so frustrated, upset, and dissapointed. We were really on a roll. I was riding every day, Red was picking up the correct leads 95% of the time, I was feeling so confident about going to the show, I was going to ride all the tests, no trainer riding, and then bam! As I was WALKING! yes, walking on a 20m cicle at X, Red bulged out at B, got a bit too close to the fence, I hooked my boot around the last rung of a ladder that was leaning on the fence.....I know, I know...it followed us into the arena, and Red thinking he was being chased by a ladder, jumped sideways to the right, and I came off on the left. Luckily Red was not hurt at all, unfortunately I was. The trainer has been coming 3 times a week to ride, and he may take ared to a show in a few weeks.

I will do my best to keep updating and commenting on this thread. I will also try to figure out the photo posting as I have tons of photos!!!!!

Return to “Young Horse Forum and Breeding and Registries”