What is the quote about speed and collection?

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
HafDressage
Herd Member

What is the quote about speed and collection?

Postby HafDressage » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:09 am

Hi Dressage Peeps,

I know I've heard (and I think read on here) and quote or saying about speed being the enemy of collection or something like that. Can anybody recall?

I wanted to post it on someone's FB post about their haflinger (they asked for thoughts), but I didn't want to mis-quote. Much like the phase I went through with my guy, it seems like chasing them forward will equal a better canter, but the reality is, they have to sit and jump, not speed race forward. So I wanted to mention it to her as my comment.

Thanks in advance!

demi
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: What is the quote about speed and collection?

Postby demi » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:55 am

I’m not positive but I think it’s “speed is the enemy of impulsion”. And deKunffy says it, whether he coined the phrase or not, I don’t know.

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:07 pm

Yes, it's "speed is the enemy of impulsion."

Andrea also tells me, "Impulsion is not the wind whistling in your hair". :lol: :lol:

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:47 pm

I was just thinking of this yesterday. I credit CdK for "speed is the enemy of impulsion."

DJR
500 post plus club

Postby DJR » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:05 pm

Yes, that's CdK's saying. And Carl Hester puts it a bit differently (but same concept) when he talks about a horse's "swing speed" -- and speed will screw up their "swing" (as will plodding).
formerly known as "Deanna" on UDBB -- and prior to that, as "DJD".

HafDressage
Herd Member

Postby HafDressage » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:37 pm

Thanks guys! I thought it was something along those lines. Much appreciated. :)

It's so tempting with horses like mine (little stockier build) to try to canter the wheels off them to try to improve the quality of the canter. So you see lots of cob types cantering around at lightening speed (or I do because I follow haflingers and cobs on FB) because they can get slow behind if not really moving out. But the reality is, the more they run and the faster their legs get, while you might avoid some slowness behind, you also have no time for actual weight bearing and jump, which is what actually improves the canter.

So, with my guy finding just the right balance has been the longest process and this has been one of my key takeaways from that process. So I thought this might be a helpful idea for this other person as well.

DJR
500 post plus club

Postby DJR » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:58 pm

HafDressage, I SO get what you're saying when I'm riding Jet (Friesian/Perch) or my full perch, Dante. But especially on Jet now that we're doing FC work. I have an entirely different feel/appreciation now for the meaning of a "quick hind leg" vs. rushing. He MUST engage his hind leg to be successful in the Third Level canter work, but he CANNOT rush. But, what a fine balance it can be, especially when he's out of shape & gaining fitness.
formerly known as "Deanna" on UDBB -- and prior to that, as "DJD".

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:50 pm

OTOH slowness is the enemy of expression. lol its one of those things that you have to "play" around with to find the right amount of balance and impulsion to show the best elegance.

Hot4Spots
Herd Member

Postby Hot4Spots » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:44 pm

My old eventing teacher used to simply say, whether referring to jumping (i.e. too much speed) or dressage ("enemy of impulsion"), "Speed kills."

Return to “Dressage Training”