StraightForward and Redsoxluvr- Petrie updates, please?

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

StraightForward and Redsoxluvr- Petrie updates, please?

Postby scruffy the cat » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:10 pm

Okay friends,
Have you ridden in your Petries lately? Comments about the boots? If you had old Petries back in the day and new Petries now- any differences other than the more shapely ankles? @StraightForward- do you miss that 1 cm of height? I realized I'm nearly on their stock size chart though they miss my height by 1 cm as well. If it's disguised by the high "bowl" I'm fine but these would be my new show boots so I want them to look nice. My custom Konigs were a bust so I would like to think about something prettier for the show ring.

StraightForward
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: StraightForward and Redsoxluvr- Petrie updates, please?

Postby StraightForward » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:23 pm

I haven't ridden in them; waiting for the ground to dry out, and my horse's canter to get a little more reliable. I don't think the slightly shorter shaft is going to be a big deal; they look nice with the tall Spanish top, and they're stiff enough that I don't think they're going to drop much at all.
Keep calm and canter on.

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:33 pm

Good to hear!

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:30 am

Still waiting to receive mine as they are full custom. I shall report back at once!

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:19 am

Hope you don't have to wait much longer!

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:01 pm

I just bought a pair of stock Petrie Allures from kittybee on ebay. I'm in the XHE range... Assuming they only drop 2cm I'll be fine. :) Now I have to wait the almost 2 months for them to arrive. I can't wait!!!

It'll be interesting to hear how much yours all drop.

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:23 am

The height is the one thing I am stressed about. I ordered 52CM high, but the seller said based on my physical height that I should have ordered 50CM. Of course as they are the experts, I agreed to the 50CM. Now I am stressing that they will not be tall enough. I did order mine with a 7CM bow, so at least they'll be tall enough on the outside....

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:40 am

redsox - I'm in the same boat. I would have ordered 50cm but the seller said I should order 48 based on my measurements. So that's what I did. With the bow I think it'll be fine either way.

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:40 am

@RosieB- what made you choose the Allure over the Elegance? And what made you choose the 7 cm bowl? I'm also very interested to hear how the new tapered ankle feels and if it affects the drop at all.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:13 am

I just double-checked my invoice - mine are the ANKY Elegance, I said Allure in the other thread. I didn't think the ankle looked particularly tapered, it is still stiff. The ankle on the ancient Konigs I had seemed more tapered.

I might start riding in them after my lesson tomorrow.
Keep calm and canter on.

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:16 am

scruffy the cat wrote:@RosieB- what made you choose the Allure over the Elegance? And what made you choose the 7 cm bowl? I'm also very interested to hear how the new tapered ankle feels and if it affects the drop at all.

I chose the higher bow because I think it looks purty, plus I got a gauntlet with croc and I wanted to show it off.

Like this - https://www.reitstiefel.shop/en/Petrie- ... a5fc1b034b

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:26 pm

The gauntlet with croc is really pretty. Interesting without being too in your face. Love it.

I was asking about the Allure and the slimmer ankle because of this statement in the description:
The bootleg has an extraordinary elegant and slender fit. The new model Allure has been provided with the ankle support. A soft rubber padding prevents ankle pressure and assures minimal slipping of the foot.The bootleg has calf leather lining and is soft on the inside and hard on the outside. As the boot is modelled around the ankle as slender as possible , the sliding of the foot inside the boot will be limited to a minimum.

The description for the Elegance doesn't say the same thing about the slim ankle. My ankles aren't slim so I am worried about rubs.

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:29 pm

I have very slim ankles and my leg slid up in my old Petrie dressage 3000s all the time.

But I chose the allure because they look nice and were the only nicer Petries that were in my budget. The elegance I think were a bit more expensive.

Truthfully I am not sure if the allure have a 6cm or 7cm top. It wasn't a factor in my choice at all.

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:53 am

The base Allure has a 6 cm top. It's still pretty curved. 7 is getting up there and I am just wondering if it's perfect or too much for a fat leg like mine. Even with my current custom Konigs, I kind of wish I had more "bow", but at some point I have to just accept that no amount of "bow" will make my leg look long and slim. :lol:

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Fri May 18, 2018 6:08 am

Well, I got my boots today and they are absolutely gorgeous. They fit great and the workmanship is top knotch. Total delivered was less than $600, even with a full custom top, color and ornamental cuff. I ordered mine March 21 and got them today.

Oh, and I did get the 7CM bow. Totally worth it.

Wicky
Herd Member

Postby Wicky » Fri May 18, 2018 7:10 pm

Photos, please!

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Sat May 19, 2018 8:23 pm

Yay, redsoxluvr!

(I'm still interested in progress reports on the Petries. The stitching on the other Konig boot let go last week but I knew it had been a matter of time. These boots look like they are 15 years old and they are not quite 2 years old and I only ride one horse and baby them. Very unhappy Konig customer!)

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Sun May 20, 2018 12:04 am

Here you go! I have ridden in them twice so far and they feel great. A bit big, but better too big than too tight .
Attachments
20180517_193314.jpg
20180517_193314.jpg (129.41 KiB) Viewed 27759 times

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun May 20, 2018 12:08 am

Ooh, pretty!

I am not riding in my Petries yet. Annabelle still needs the kind of leg support I can give her it my softer field boots, so the stiff boots will be sitting in the closet for a while yet until she obtains a little more self-carriage.
Keep calm and canter on.

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Sun May 20, 2018 5:59 pm

I am only riding my advanced horse in them - they are far too tall and stiff for my project pony. They are comfortable though, and I think they are a great value.

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Sun May 20, 2018 11:24 pm

These were the Allures with custom options, right?

Gorgeous picture!

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Tue May 22, 2018 6:27 pm

Mine arrived today!!!

So excited. They seem to fit very well - just a smidge too tall. With the height of the bow, they should be fine even if they end up dropping a couple cm.
Attachments
image1.jpeg
image1.jpeg (82.6 KiB) Viewed 27699 times

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Wed May 23, 2018 3:28 am

@RosieB- They are gorgeous! I don't think they are too tall given where they come to on your knee. If they are cutting you too much in the back of the leg, put heel lifts in until they drop.

So, for my information, what were your actual back of the leg measurements vs the height that Kittybee suggested? I actually measure 44.73 cm and am not sure if I should order 47 or 48 cm.

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Wed May 23, 2018 4:38 am

I don't know that the boots will drop that much. I have worn mine twice on the horse and a couple of times
around the house and mine have dropped maybe 1/2 CM. I have the Olympic model. They're pretty stiff
but are not the stiffest ones they sell. When I ordered mine, I wanted 52CM high at the back but the seller said based on my height
that I should only get 50CM. If I order again I will get the 52s. I got the 7CM bow so they look great, but I normally
wear them about 1 -2 cm higher.

There is a new feature available on Petries. It's a sort of padded cover over the back which is supposed to prevent you from getting the back of your knees torn up. I think it's a $30 option - you might want to check it out. It has only been available in the last month or so but it looks pretty cool.

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Wed May 23, 2018 10:54 pm

Great info, thanks. My 3000s dropped a great deal but they were the old wide-ankle model.

Another question: I know how stiff the Olympics are because I've tried them on before but how stiff are the Allure's? I love a really stiff boot.

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Thu May 24, 2018 12:11 pm

scruffy - the actual measurement from the floor to the back of my knee was 44cm. I ordered the 48 cm height at the seller's recommendation. 2cm of that is the heel of the boot, and then that will allow for up to 2cm of drop. Now that they're here, I would say they're probably only between 0.50-1cm too tall, but they should drop that much so they'll be perfect I think.

Also, for anyone ordering boots - make sure you provide the seller with the length measurement of your foot as the sizing was not at all what I expected. I was thinking I'd need an 8, but I ended up with a 6.5 based on the actual length of my foot.

The allures feel pretty stiff - I also used to have dressage 3000s and those dropped quite a bit despite being very stiff. I don't think these will drop as much because the ankle is much more fitted, but they also feel less stiff than the dressage 3000s. They feel closer to my current ariat maestros in fit and stiffness than my old dressage 3000s.

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Fri May 25, 2018 3:02 am

Rosie B- are you sure that's not UK 6.5? Because UK 6.5 is US 8.5.

Thanks for the other info. I like a really stiff boot so it's really good to know for comparison purposes. I wish they hadn't discontinued the 3000s- best value boot out there!

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Fri May 25, 2018 5:05 pm

Yes, it was a UK 6.5, but I didn't realize the size discrepancy between UK and US sizes. :)

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:50 pm

Update - I've ridden in them now 4 or more times. The height is right on. I would have been seriously disappointed if I had ordered any taller as they've been happily chewing bloody holes in the backs of my legs. I need to get some heel lifts clearly. :) musicalcomedy suggested that I use those triangular makeup sponges so that's my plan.

Here's a tiny pic from far away, but gives you an idea as to the height. I'm really pleased with how they look. :) They were exactly what I was hoping for.
Attachments
IMG_7508_small.jpg
IMG_7508_small.jpg (49.8 KiB) Viewed 27516 times

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:29 am

Those look good, Rosie!

I'm not missing the height on mine either. I've started to wear them for flat work now that Annabelle has a little more self-carriage. She is a little more responsive to my lateral aids with the stiff boots, which his nice.

What does everyone else do for care? I keep Maguire's leather wipes in my tack trunk and wipe the dust off before putting them in their boot bag. Not sure car care products are endorsed by Petrie, but I've been doing this with girths and bridles for a long time. The Maguire's seem more oily than the Armor All wipes, but work well on the boots.
Keep calm and canter on.

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:45 am

I got the Petrie boot care kit from Dressage Extensions. They also sell the Petrie color matched boot cream. I think I paid $28 all told. Totally worth it.

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:04 am

I'm a big fan of these heel lifts. As the boots drop you can peel off a layer.

https://www.amazon.com/Warwick-Enterpri ... =heel+lift

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:47 am

What do you guys use for zipper treatment? I thought I had ordered some, but alas did not. I have never used it, but apparently it's recommended.

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:52 am

I've used beeswax but any of the ones you get on Amazon or in a camping store are fine.

DJR
500 post plus club

Postby DJR » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:30 pm

I just stumbled on this thread ... this past weekend at the Ingrid Klimke Masterclass (Caledon Equestrian Park, Toronto, ON), I took advantage of a promo and ordered a pair of custom Petrie boots (the Rome model, without the bottom buckle). I can't wait to see the finished product!

I had to order custom because my right calf is a full 2 cm fuller than my left calf!!! I was measured by the same person a year ago and my measurements were the same this year as last year, so it wasn't a goof or some weird temporary thing in my legs. I must preferentially use my right calf more than my left because there isn't any other medical reason for it (!!). Weirdness.

Anyway, I'll post photos when they arrive. They are brushed black leather on the shaft, with black crocodile accents (top, toe, and buckle) and some subtle crystal accents, too, at the top (why not!). They may be here by Christmas, otherwise early 2020. So excited, this will be my first "real" dressage boot (and holy cr*p, they cost a precious penny or two!!!).
formerly known as "Deanna" on UDBB -- and prior to that, as "DJD".

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:34 am

Those sound lovely! I want to order a pair of those in green or blue sooo badly, but it won't be happening any time soon.

ETA: as an update on mine, I've gotten fully used to riding in them Rode Annabelle in them 5x a week until she hurt herself in October, then rode Kyra in them for most of the summer. Having more stability in my ankle has helped me be a little more nuanced in using weight aids through the stirrups, I think. They seem to be wearing really well, so I expect them to last many years.
Keep calm and canter on.

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:46 am

Mine are wearing great and I am very happy with them. If I had to split hairs, I would say that I was right about the height. The bow on mine is 7CM so quite high. This looks fine but they are a hair lower than I like behind the knee. Otherwise, about the only thing I don't like/would have done differently is the color. Mine are technically navy, but they look jet black in all but the very brightest outside light. That bums me out, as I ordered blue boots because I wanted blue boots. I have a navy helmet, navy coat and navy welting on my saddle. If I had it to do over again I would have gotten the cognac with a contrasting gauntlet.

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:16 am

Bumping the thread up. I got my *cow* (not the standard calf) Petrie Anky's this past week from Dutch Riding Boots and rode in them for the first time today. Holy moly they are stiff. My Grandgester's weren't nearly as stiff. And with the slim ankle it's like there is no place to go. My horse did *not* enjoy today's ride. I might try riding schoolies during the break in period. I don't want to give him a complex.

How long did yours take to finally get comfortable? It's been maybe 15 years since my last pair of stiff Petries. I remember it taking awhile but I'm older and more impatient. I hope it won't take forever. I loff them.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:45 pm

Mine took a few months to break in around the ankles. I used some Lederbalsam on both the inside and outside of the ankle to soften them a little. I would say the first month is the worst. After 3-4 months they broke in a little more, but they're still pretty stiff.
Keep calm and canter on.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:28 pm

Could you try the hockey skate thing (and what I do with stiff ballet flats or hiking boots) and put them on at home, and hit the really stiff parts with a hot hair dryer? Then keep wearing until the leather cools. Repeat as necessary.

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:18 pm

heddylamar wrote:Could you try the hockey skate thing (and what I do with stiff ballet flats or hiking boots) and put them on at home, and hit the really stiff parts with a hot hair dryer? Then keep wearing until the leather cools. Repeat as necessary.

I like that idea. I do want them to be as stiff as possible but the advantage of the hair dryer technique is that the ankle folds where it should rather than where the stiff leather decides to on its own. I had forgotten about the technique. Thanks for the reminder.

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:20 pm

StraightForward wrote:Mine took a few months to break in around the ankles. I used some Lederbalsam on both the inside and outside of the ankle to soften them a little. I would say the first month is the worst. After 3-4 months they broke in a little more, but they're still pretty stiff.

Thanks for the info. My Konigs were both too big and too short so they felt like they broke in immediately. These are a whole 'nuther ball game. Good to have someone else's experience as a guide.

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:45 pm

I wore mine around the house a few times, then the first few times on the horse I just hacked. Took about a week or two to feel perfect.
I love mine and they are holding up great.

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:58 am

redsoxluvr wrote:I wore mine around the house a few times, then the first few times on the horse I just hacked. Took about a week or two to feel perfect.
I love mine and they are holding up great.

Great to hear!. Thanks!

mld02004
Herd Member

Postby mld02004 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:56 pm

I just ordered full custom petrie Olympic boots from the Dutch boot company. Apparently I’ve angered both the German and Dutch boot makers with my measurements. They also write back and say no! That length cannot be right! Apparently I have freakishly short legs. I had Königs made last time but they were way too expensive this time around with the strength of the euro.
I’m hoping they won’t be a bear to break in. My Königs were not bad but they had an elastic gusset.
I got measured for Deniro at smartpak but I could not stomach the cost.

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:11 am

The Olympics aren't super stiff so that will help the break in period.

My big splurge Konigs Grandgesters were $1,800 but the store measured poorly so they were too short and too wide in the lower calf so they never looked great and were too easy to break in. Plus 3 years in they have holes everywhere and the soles are separating. Definitely not worth the money. I also never thought them particularly stiff. These Petries are more like my old Petrie 3000s and very stiff and only ("only") $675. I thought the Dutch Riding Boot guy was pretty helpful in noticing when one of my measurements was off. He was right, I was wrong. The resulting boot could not fit better. If I only get 3 years out of these, I'm still way ahead of the game vs my Konigs. I bet they last longer. They seem sturdier in every way.

blob

Postby blob » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:26 pm

I just retired a pair of petries. I was disappointed that they did not last me very long. I am definitely not great about taking care of my boots, but the old petries I had several years back seemed to last forever, these ones did not. I did like the feel of them, though I found breaking them in to be painful---though not the most difficult pair to break in.

Domica
Greenie

Postby Domica » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:10 pm

I bought a pair of Petrie Olympics half-price in a sale, they were a couple of cms longer than my standard boots but I decided to risk it. They took a couple of months to drop and there’s a crease behind my knee but as my general schooling boots they’re great and have taken the load off my more expensive Cavallos.

I didn’t use risers but massaging in a quality leather conditioner every week whilst they were wearing in definitely helped.

LeoApp
Herd Member

Postby LeoApp » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:35 pm

I have a pair of Petrie 3000's. Size 6 US and fairly narrow calf. I think I wore them about two times. My showing days are over. Anyone want them? I can send pics. I am 5'4 110 lbs so they are for a person small in stature. Pay the shipping and they are yours for free.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”