Favorite young horse training books and DVDs?

StraightForward
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Favorite young horse training books and DVDs?

Postby StraightForward » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:04 pm

I've sold my riding horse and there's a long winter ahead before backing my filly. I'm looking for some good study materials? I have Right from the Start and Horse Training In-Hand. Looking at some of the Klimke stuff. Any other good ones?
Keep calm and canter on.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Re: Favorite young horse training books and DVDs?

Postby Kyra's Mom » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:14 pm

Maya sold! Good and bad...but I've done that before. Sold the riding horse before the youngster was ready. It is kind of a bummer but you can't pass up a good offer. One less board to pay. You are welcome to ride Kyra (and I suppose Margaret wouldn't mind some exercise for Joy) if you want to keep your riding muscles a bit exercised. Kyra might be a bit of a Maya dilemma...not enough horse for your leg but she goes!

I know it is a departure from traditional training but Karen Rohlf has a "classroom" within her web site. It is $24/month but she has 3 videos every month and while you are a member you have access to the entire series of videos which I think she started in 2010? The video's are anywhere from 8 to 30 minutes.
She has tons and tons of ground work exercises and riding exercises you can file away until next year. She doesn't use side reins but a lot of her work in hand really encourages self carriage from the get go. You could try it and cancel if it doesn't float your boat.

Susan

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:03 pm

Thanks Susan, I just might take you up on that. Yes I found an awesome home for Maya. An appy lover who's had her old guy for 24 years.

I'm kind of excited to have a bit of free time right now, but I bet I'll be bored and wanting to ride soon enough. I'll check into the KR stuff.
Keep calm and canter on.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:20 am

If you have some free time, I could dial up some of the video's so you can see them before you buy so to speak.

Between all my maladies and parent issues...right now have a killer cold...and Margaret's, neither of our horses is getting much work.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

Flight

Postby Flight » Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:20 am

Not dressagy, but I got my young guy going following following Warwick Schiller's videos. He has free stuff on youtube, but a massive lot of vids on a subscription. Granted I had some difficulties with my horse, which is why I ended up following his stuff.
I haven't seen much of Karen Rolfe's stuff but I reckon they would be very good too.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:16 am

Thanks Flight, I will look him up!

Susan, let me know when you're no longer contagious. ;)

I have the Mark Rashid Understanding Footfall DVD in my Amazon cart, but re-reading some of the stuff I already have.
Keep calm and canter on.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:23 pm

I started to reply and then realized I don't recall any titles. So I will have to go home at lunch and see what's what. Suffice it to say, I have used Klimke's book, Kottas' book and Henry Weinmullen's book and fiddled a lot. Linda TTJ was helpful for dealing with Rudy's mature horse issues, not so much with laid back Tio, whose just a spoiled brat. lol I would say that the most important thing is to establish a respectful relationship right from the start so that she is always looking to you as her leader. Seems especially important in intact horses (mare, stallion). I'll look up the titles when I get home--of course, a number of them may no longer be in print.

Return to “Young Horse Forum and Breeding and Registries”