Rain, rain go away

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Rain, rain go away

Postby PaulaO » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:12 pm

Yesterday was raining with a high of 37 and wind gusts up to 40 mph. Today’s forecast is more of the same. The grass is still dormant. I’m not looking for 70 degrees and sunny, but I wouldn’t mind 50 and dry! Where is spring???

Amado
Herd Member

Re: Rain, rain go away

Postby Amado » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:07 pm

Not here. Won’t even crack freezing today. 12 when I woke up. Entire property feels like one big glacier.

DJR
500 post plus club

Postby DJR » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:19 pm

I'd have to rename this thread, "freezing rain, freezing rain, go away". We're in for an ice storm all day today. So far, so good, but we may lose power anytime, especially when the winds pick up later this afternoon.

YUCK!
formerly known as "Deanna" on UDBB -- and prior to that, as "DJD".

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:37 pm

Ice storms are the worst. Hope you don't lose power for long.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:23 pm

Same here, but now looking at a regular snowy winter day, with four inches of heavy, wet snow on the ground. And a broken belt on the snowblower. Going to try to peel some of it away with the tractor back blade, but figure on driving the 4WD truck for a few days. Oh, and down to a half dozen bales of hay. May have to get more. In late April. Bleh.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:30 pm

This morning I wore my long down coat to work. It's 27 and snowing. Blech. DJR, I hope you didn't lose power and that everyone is o.k.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:37 pm

hope everyone weathers the storm, is a big one, across much of the continent. For us its hard flood causing rain. inches of it. my phone alerts keep sounding for flash flood warnings.

DJR
500 post plus club

Postby DJR » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:40 pm

This morning was actually the worst in terms of slipperiness, but the footing in all of the horse paddocks was fine as it was only a thin crust over ice pellets so they all sunk in a bit and had traction. Most stayed in their huge shelters (all are 30' x 15' or bigger) in pairs, which has made for heavy mucking-out the past three days (twice a day) but then I know they are warm & dry.

I had to cancel the first half of my work morning because of my skating rink, er, farmyard, but it's still raining and SLOWLY warming up above 0 so once I got out of the farmyard and off my small road, the main roads were wet but bare.

Happily I never lost power. Many did, but I was spared. I'm so grateful because apart from the issue of no power = no well pump, I also have two incubators on the go full of duck & chicken eggs, and I have two brooders with heat lamps on the go with chicks, ducklings, and goslings that are in their first week of life (which means they need heat).

I probably won't be able to ride for another day or two, but the worst is now over with a sunny & warm weekend forecasted to end this week. Yay!
formerly known as "Deanna" on UDBB -- and prior to that, as "DJD".

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:37 pm

Please send rain. It's drippy here yesterday/today, after over a month of nothing. We desperately need rain. The ground is so dry it's begun to crack.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:49 pm

A very weird and windy 62 here today. 30's and snow tomorrow. Colic weather.

Of course I have the farrier coming tomorrow. The mud is unending. My horses look like vagrants.

galopp
Herd Member

Postby galopp » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:37 am

Heddy you can have our rain, we are having November RAIN, not just showers. LAKES.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:18 pm

galopp wrote:Heddy you can have our rain, we are having November RAIN, not just showers. LAKES.

PLEASE!!!! The region got enough rain that there were flood warnings yesterday. But there still wasn't enough precipitation in my immediate neighborhood that I can pull weeds in the front yard without watering.

Fatcat
Herd Member

Postby Fatcat » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:41 pm

Yes, you can have our rain from Oregon too. It's rained 15 out of 16 days in April so far. Standing water everywhere!

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”