Seniors...will you buy another when....

Topic for older horses and older riders
Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Seniors...will you buy another when....

Postby Chisamba » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:53 pm

musical comedy wrote:
Tsavo wrote:Very interesting reading the posts in this thread!

To the OP...

You wrote: "When you feel your horse needs to be retired, will you buy another? Or, is this your last hurrah?"

I am in my late 50s and my horse is 20. I will retire my present horse in a few years even if he is sound and buy one more horse I suspect.

I was about to turn 57 when I bought my current horse. I backed a baby I bought at that age. At that time, I had 3 horses I was riding
here at my farm and doing all the work except for the mowing and ring dragging which DH did. I felt good then and looked pretty good
for my age. That summer, I drove my <unloaded> horse trailer all the way to Wellington alone (horse went commercial) and spent the Winter there.
I drove straight through 24 hours, taking a quick nap at a rest stop. That's I good I felt at the age of 57.

You wrote: "I don't want to ride my horse anymore. Sound as he is, how long will that be true if I keep on riding him? I feel bad for him each time I tack up. I feel he has earned his retirement, and I do not feel (like most) that horses would rather be working than loafing."

Here's what happened to me... last year I told my vet my plan to retire my horse in two years whether he was sound or not. He responded that he wouldn't be as comfortable out of work as in and that there really is no reason to retire him at 22 if sound. He shows no indication that he doesn't like work and come to the gate every time for me to take him up to the barn to ride. We do 15 minutes of large walk on the trails up and down hills for warm up which my horse seems to enjoy. After, we will do ring work 2 times a week or hills or work in a slight hilly pasture or work in the jump field (flat). The variety and slow warm up I think contributes to my horse showing no indication of not wanting to work. That plus I ALWAYS graze him at least 15 minutes after each ride which he enjoys. He is on pasture half the day but it is eaten down which is not a bad thing in spring.
I have always been very VERY careful about long warmups and cool downs, regardless of a horse's age. I am picky to a fault about footing, and consistency in riding. I think that contributes to why my old horse is still very sound. However, I think luck plays a big part too. I am not happy just hacking and doing what some others think of as 'fun'. From the start, it was all about competition for me. The more I learned about dressage and riding in general, the more I realized that it was impossible to reach the point I wanted to be.

The other piece was I finally got my act together and was able to ride my horse into fitness. I got fit, have a body fat in the high teens, and ride every day I am not at the gym so usually 5 days. My trainer recently remarked that my horse is the soundest she has ever seen him. He was sound before but had the usual one weak hind and one stiff hind. Through walking and trotting in long and low on a huge, hilly figure eight on the property, plus removing the hind shoes, plus 53 mg of previcox, he can work in comfort.
Wow, BMI in high teens! Congratulations. Is that a special fat measurement, or just the one you get from the weight charts? I'm a 23, so on the high side of normal. However, with age, often we don't look so good too thin. I agree with you that riding isn't really fitness exercise. It is better than nothing, but doesn't compare to gym work.
Chisamba wrote:as a person who is fifty five, and rides as a career, i have a question that might take some heart searching but would like as honest an answer as you can summon.

I read a few comments up the thread about how different the recovery time was as you got older and my question relates to that. Is the recovery time worse because you got older, or because circumstances allowed you to start riding less frequently?

I find if i ride three or four horses a day, and then for some reason do not ride for a few days, the first few days back on schedule are taxing, but if i ride consistently, i remain fit enough to ride. So which came first, riding less fequently and finding yourself having difficulty recovering, or did having difficulty recovering cause you to ride less frequently?

I mean even i you are a runner, or a walker, if you suddenly started walking only once a week, rather than daily, it would be more difficult, would it not?

one of the people i have cliniced with was born in 1943 and rode to third place in regionals at Grand Prix last year, scored a seventy something. She had cut back a lot, but still rides horses she feels safe on daily. I only hope i can continue to do the same.
Chisamba, that's a hard question to answer and probably depends on the person. I think no matter one's age, if you cut back significantly on your exercise for a while, and then try to go back to the more strenuous program, you might feel tired/sore or whatever.

When I was eventing, I was riding every day and jumping a couple times a week. The day after a horse trials, I was feeling worn out. I wasn't young then though, as I didn't even start to event until I was 40 years old.

I think for most people that are aging and riding, they just slowly start cutting back. Maybe it isn't even planned. It wasn't in my case. I had some horrible horrible luck with losing several promising young horses (I know you did too, Chisamba) leaving me with just the older guy. Losing horses takes the wind out of your sails, much like LeoApp wrote. Some of us can't get over it.

Anyway, I have a story for you; sort of an update on myself. I have never talked much about myself on the internet, especially about health and personal things. About a month before I started this thread, I got my very first UTI. Long story short, 7 months later I still have it!!! I have been on antibiotics since then. I'll finish a round, and then several days later the UTI is back. I've been through 3 urologists, had a uro-ct scan, ultrasounds, etc. Shortly after the UTI started, I was getting all kinds of weird symptoms. The symptoms are similar to those of MS. MS is not a disease that one generally gets at at 70. However, I went to a Neurologist. I had an EMG and an MRI on Brain/Cervical Spine. Nothing pointing to MS there nor peripheral neuropathy. I'm seeing a new Neurologist tomorrow.

These two health issues have taken their toll on me big time. I've aged a decade in 7 months. I stopped riding in December completely, something I never thought I would/could do. But then, this month (April), I decided to get on. Don't ask me why. Maybe Spring. I was feeling timid to get on, not knowing if I could stick if he spooked. My God, how strange it felt to be out of the saddle for 5 months. Horse was good as gold. He's never been one to need lunging or anything, as he is out 24/7. My plan was to just walk, which I did for a few days, knowing that really he should walk for a month before doing anything more. Then I saw him trotting and cantering in the field, and he looked so good, that I took the risk. I have now been on him 9 times, walking for 25 minutes and trotting about 10 max. He feels wonderful! I feel like a wet noodle. My weak right leg is just wobbling and my foot keeps going 'home' in the stirrup.

So, this year I turn 71 and he turns 23. That makes 3 more years and we can do the Century Ride. Never thought that would be a goal, but I guess I should think about it if I don't die before that.

thank you for the thoughtful answers, i guess every person is different, but it is interesting to me, because i I suppose to some extent i have to plan for my future. I do not suppose it is reasonable to think that I can continue to make riding horses my major source of income forever, and I do hope that i can continue teaching when I can no longer ride myself. I suppose in some ways I just get up and go to work, and ride, even if perhaps on that day i do not feel like doing so as much on others. It is sometimes for joy and some times simply discipline.

I am sorry that your health has made it so much more difficult for you, I hope your situation becomes comfortable that if you enjoy the idea of the century ride, that you can do so. if not, at least that you become comfortable enough to have great quality of life.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:08 pm

Riding is definitely exercise for me because my abs are sore the next day. But I think MC is right about fading out gradually, because I mostly just trail rode last winter and still haven't gotten back into riding in the ring much this spring.

When I was 54 I bought a foal, backed him when I was 57, semi-retired at 58, started riding my now 5 year old regularly when I was 59, retired for good when I was 62, and then didn't really start fading out much until I was 64.

It was a very good thing that I took early retirement when I had the chance though, because if I'd waited until I was 65 I probably never would have bought a foal so would have missed out on the opportunity to really take my time and bring a blank slate along on my own. Because just as MC said, I started fading fast after 65. I started becoming a fair weather rider, stopped going to the local schooling shows for lack of interest, and now, at 67, I'm finding that I'd rather clean stalls than ride. I still ride because I need the exercise, but I don't think I'm ever going to be a Century rider because just the thought of all that prep to go to a show makes me tired. :-)

But, who knows what the future will bring? Maybe I'll get interested in some other kind of riding and that will re-energize me?

MC, what rotten luck to develop health problems now, when you want to ride. But it sounds like you've managed to get back in the saddle again in spite of your ongoing health issues, and are at least considering getting back into showing.

Backyarder3
Novice

Postby Backyarder3 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:34 am

I'm 62, I fell hard two weeks ago,and it hurt..It still hurts...Not ready to give up but not enjoying being weak and painful.... Awaiting x-ray results...Dr thinks it may just be ligament trauma at my spine. Sigh...

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Postby Srhorselady » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:17 pm

I dream about buying another younger smaller horse, but realistically I probably won't. I'm 66. I currently have 5 senior horses and 5 acres to take care of. The two horses I ride the most are both 16.3 hands and big. I'm 5 foot and 116lbs. I'd love something smaller. One of my horses is a 15.1 hand quarter horse that I ride occasionally. He's 19 and started in dressage when he was given to me about 2 years ago. (He belonged to a good friend and needed a home.) I admit it the gaits of my Hanoverian (age 22 and limited now to walk only) and athleticism and work ethic of my thoroughbred (age 30 and still going strong) have spoiled me. I want all that and dressage training in a smaller package. The quarter horse is a sweetie but even with some training he doesn't and won't ever move like the other two. I also don't have the energy to take care of another horse. Sometimes I don't even have the energy to ride the horses I have currently. My realistic plan is to sell in 5 to 10 years when I lose these guys. However, I keep dreaming about a small horse or dressage pony with nice dressage gaits and training.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:21 pm

backyarder3 wrote:I'm 62, I fell hard two weeks ago,and it hurt..It still hurts...Not ready to give up but not enjoying being weak and painful.... Awaiting x-ray results...Dr thinks it may just be ligament trauma at my spine. Sigh...
I had a bad fall several years ago that put me out of commission for 14 days. Horse spooked at ice coming off the roof. It is soooo easy to get hurt riding. One doesn't have to be doing anything dangerous or riding a rank horse for it to happen. Good for you having the initiative to want to get right back up there as soon as you heal.
Srhorselady wrote:I dream about buying another younger smaller horse, but realistically I probably won't. I'm 66. I currently have 5 senior horses and 5 acres to take care of. The two horses I ride the most are both 16.3 hands and big. I'm 5 foot and 116lbs. I'd love something smaller. One of my horses is a 15.1 hand quarter horse that I ride occasionally. He's 19 and started in dressage when he was given to me about 2 years ago. (He belonged to a good friend and needed a home.) I admit it the gaits of my Hanoverian (age 22 and limited now to walk only) and athleticism and work ethic of my thoroughbred (age 30 and still going strong) have spoiled me. I want all that and dressage training in a smaller package. The quarter horse is a sweetie but even with some training he doesn't and won't ever move like the other two. I also don't have the energy to take care of another horse. Sometimes I don't even have the energy to ride the horses I have currently. My realistic plan is to sell in 5 to 10 years when I lose these guys. However, I keep dreaming about a small horse or dressage pony with nice dressage gaits and training.
A lot of what you wrote sounds like my thinking, although I admit to having mood swings and often end up writing things that contradict myself.

I also have a large horse, not so much in height (17h at the rump) but just a wide body big boned Hanoverian who is very powerful with slow, but suspended gaits. I'm 5'5" so have more going for me in that department, but he does take a lot of core strength to ride, which I am now lacking.

Where I totally understand your thinking is about stepping down in quality. Once you have owned and ridden higher quality horse, you really notice the difference getting one not so talented. There are those small versions that we want, but they are expensive. We have to ask ourselves do we want it enough to make the sacrifices to get one. Like you, I dream about it, but then my negative thinking comes into play and I say "what's the point".

We have 44 acres here, and DH is 7 years older than me. He thinks he'll live forever, so won't entertain the thinking of moving. Getting stuck here by myself when I'm old (er) and sick (er) alone is frightening.

Josette

Postby Josette » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:00 pm

I'm also in a similar situation between health issues or weather there seems to be something that interferes with my riding. I find it hard to imagine not riding or owning a horse but the flip side means it will allow us to travel more in the future. I'm still trying to let go of tack and equipment from a horse who I lost but it is time to move on. I have to accept that I will not purchase another horse after the current one. But emotionally I don't think I could handle anymore loss either.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:21 pm

Srhorselady wrote:My realistic plan is to sell in 5 to 10 years when I lose these guys. However, I keep dreaming about a small horse or dressage pony with nice dressage gaits and training.

If you find a horse shrinking machine let me know and I'll run my 17 hand horse through it and make him into a 15 hand horse, and then my small indoor will seem a lot bigger.

I was planning on most of mine being gone by the time they were 30, but our old mule is 35 and still going which means that I may be 90 by the time the last of them are gone!

We need another trail horse, but I'm not even considering anything that's not at least late teens, because I'd rather buy an old horse and retire him in a few years and buy another old horse, than add another one that'll be around for 20+ years. Although if we only had 2 or 3 old horses that would probably seem easy compared to the herd we have now.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:31 pm

musical comedy wrote:...DH is 7 years older than me. He thinks he'll live forever, so won't entertain the thinking of moving.

Same here, except DH is a couple years younger than me and will likely outlive me because he's healthier (so far) and has better longevity genes. He's also planning to live forever and has no plans to sell or move. Neither do I (have plans to move), although I wouldn't mind moving to a smaller place as long as it had an indoor.

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Postby Srhorselady » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:35 am

Every time I read about one of you with injuries and health issues I feel so bad and know that it could easily be me. I've never thought of myself as fragile but you get to a certain age and know anything could happen. I worry about my critters, not so much if I die I have made arrangements for that, but if I am layed up for a long period of time it would be difficult. I have good friends, but all my family are now out of state. I lost my father last year and he was a healthy active 87 year old who still helped me with the horses and property. It has been a difficult adjustment to doing everything myself. I did manage to find some wonderful help for about 15 hours per week and that helps. For those of you that worry what will happen if you are left alone to deal. It IS hard, but you learn and adapt and actually grow with the challenge. I am now in the middle of several house/property improvements.

Backyarder3
Novice

Postby Backyarder3 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:33 pm

I want to ride but I am putting it off till I feel in control of my body..I'm still sore and I want to be up there giving clear signals ..not confusing my horse...and I want to feel confident...not guarding my painful spots. My 33 year old niece has been nagging me to ride... she does not "get" that age factor...healing is slower ...
That said if I come off again I've made up my mind that the horse has to go...enough is enough...I'd rather be healthy and mobile than ride..

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Sat May 06, 2017 7:10 pm

I finally got my extra tail tailbone removed. It hasn't even been two weeks but I am optimistic although I can tell, it is going to be awhile before I try to ride.

Yes--getting old is a bummer. Still working full time and doing elder care for the parents being at least a part time job and not to mention all my physical issues the last few years, I can really tell when I ride but I think a lot of that is just lack of adequate fitness. When I started the current horse 11 years ago and started her in lessons when she was 5, I was mortified. I had to keep asking for breaks...like twice what one would get during a lesson. I worked hard both on and off the horse and within a year was able to blast through my lessons without asking for extra breaks. Then all the physical issues and surgeries (hysterectomy--hoping to solve the tailbone/butt pain issue and it didn't, repair of torn foot tendons, hip replacement and now the tailbone removal for what was really wrong all along :P ) started in.

When I do ride, I don't get that stiff or sore however, the tailbone severely limited my time in the saddle so I wasn't riding that hard or for very long. I sincerely hope that the tailbone issue will resolve and I can get back to riding the horse I have how I would like to. I had her THIS close to second level before all this crap went down. She is 15 but she is very sound and I think we could get back there providing I can get back in the saddle to get both of us fit enough.

I am still of the mind though that if something happens to Kyra, she won't be replaced. I am ready for a new chapter...when it happens. I don't want to rush it though ;) . Mostly because of the boarding situation locally...it ain't great. Present barn owners will probably be retiring from that life in the next couple years and I am dreading that day. I may look for a half lease. I don't know. I have to be able to get back on my own first.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Sat May 06, 2017 10:32 pm

Susan, can you put Kyra in a lunging or long lining program to keep her tuned up until you can get back in the saddle? Or have somone you trust hack her?

One not so great thing about getting us and them back into work, is that we can't ask for much due to lack of fitness. It makes for a boring ride unless you are riding out on trails (which I'm not).

How long have you been out of the saddle?

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Sun May 07, 2017 1:27 am

Oh yes muscialcomedy...I plan to,start her back with ground work next week after my post-op appointment. I'm pretty sure I will be given the green light to get back to life with the exception of sitting which will be a work in progress.

Straightforward has been riding her at least 2 times a week since mid February. She rides her to work on herself which is a little easier on Kyra than her green beans. So, she should be good...probably better than me although I am walking everyday. I need to get to some core work but that will have to wait until after the appointment. My pelvis is very wonky from years of sitting with my pelvis rolled forward to avoid the spike so I may have to do a bit of PT to get some exercises to help alleviate that.that should help my riding immensely.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

demi

Postby demi » Mon May 29, 2017 1:21 am

How's you're docked tail healing up, Kyra'smom?

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:05 pm

Well Seniors, I did buy another horse.

She arrived on December 23, 2017 right in the middle of the coldest days we've had here for a long time. I bought sight unseen, because I do not fly and cannot be away from the farm too long. No way was I getting on a new horse in the freezing, blowing wind even with an indoor. So she got 3 weeks doing nothing until I could get on her. In March we had more horrible weather. It's a long story why I don't ride in bad weather, but I ended up giving more weeks off. I have now a total of only 49 rides and they were only 30 minutes long max because the horse is unfit.

What pushed me to do it? Well, I've been window shopping for years, but back out when it gets too close. This horse I started inquiring
about in September and didn't clinch the deal until December. The owner/seller was more than patient with me asking dozens and questions and dragging my feet. Finally, she more or less said sh*t or get off the pot. In a weak moment, I say "yes".

My old guy is retiring very sound, but his heart is only going to get worse. He deserved the retirement and also a pasture friend.

My goals are just to have a pleasant ride doing basic First Level type work. When I posted on the Flying Change thread, I was thinking about my own situation with the new horse. I have no interest in showing anymore and not interested in teaching higher level movements and causing myself (and maybe my horse) stress.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:07 pm

After riding this TB for a few months I can say that a metronome horse who knows HH and SI very well and who I can ride up, down, across hills like we are on an adventure like the horse I am riding now is as much fun as the upper level school masters I have ridden.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:16 am

musical comedy wrote:Well Seniors, I did buy another horse.

She arrived on December 23, 2017 right in the middle of the coldest days we've had here for a long time. I bought sight unseen, because I do not fly and cannot be away from the farm too long. No way was I getting on a new horse in the freezing, blowing wind even with an indoor. So she got 3 weeks doing nothing until I could get on her. In March we had more horrible weather. It's a long story why I don't ride in bad weather, but I ended up giving more weeks off. I have now a total of only 49 rides and they were only 30 minutes long max because the horse is unfit.

What pushed me to do it? Well, I've been window shopping for years, but back out when it gets too close. This horse I started inquiring
about in September and didn't clinch the deal until December. The owner/seller was more than patient with me asking dozens and questions and dragging my feet. Finally, she more or less said sh*t or get off the pot. In a weak moment, I say "yes".

My old guy is retiring very sound, but his heart is only going to get worse. He deserved the retirement and also a pasture friend.

My goals are just to have a pleasant ride doing basic First Level type work. When I posted on the Flying Change thread, I was thinking about my own situation with the new horse. I have no interest in showing anymore and not interested in teaching higher level movements and causing myself (and maybe my horse) stress.

Congratulations. May we see pictures? This spring has had nor'easter after nor'easter so I'm not surprised your riding was interrupted. Best wishes!

Josette

Postby Josette » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:58 pm

Wonderful News! Enjoy your new partner and non-stress rides - no pressure for showing deadlines. This winter was frustrating with the weather. I lost a few months with no rides but managed to lunge when ground was ok. Now spraying myself with OFF tick repellent as I venture out to restart riding. The lunging helped a bit to get past the silly episodes that I would not ride through now. So far, we are getting back on track and the riding feels good. :)

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Postby Srhorselady » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:02 pm

CONGRADULATIONS! How exciting! We definitely need pictures and background information. I love the experience of getting to know a new horse. (Just not the tedium of the increased daily maimtanance work of caring for multiple horses...but two wouldn't be so bad.)

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:57 pm

Congratulations! Deets, please. Color (most important), height, age, breed.

I bought the no stress horse, Miss A. I don't care if we show. I don't care if we do flying changes. I'm happy puttering around on my 15.2 hand girl who is completely sensible.

khall

Postby khall » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:58 pm

Congrautulations MC I hope she is exactly what you wanted in a horse. Horse shopping can be no fun! Yes details and pics if you can:)

I did not catch you had posted here. No hard feelings, I guess I am just wired differently with ambition to train but not really to show (I hate all that goes into showing especially recognized, hate the coat, hate the white breeches just the entire process, don't mind schooling shows as much, more relaxed) The world would be a dull place if we all marched to the beat of the same drummer.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:31 pm

I was always in a big hurry to canter so that I could start working on flying changes, but that was back before I got focused on the picky little details.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:01 pm

I just caught that MC got a new horse! Congratulations! I wish you much joy together.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Tue May 15, 2018 4:12 pm

Congrats on your new horse!

Pics Please....

Would I buy another - I seriously doubt it. My old guy is 31 and my newish mare is 8. I bought her with the thought in mind that she is my last horse. I'm going to be 61 and having 2 horses that I board is hard when you are a hands on - go to the barn everyday type of owner. I'd like a little more ME time, and maybe a little less barn time.

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Sun May 27, 2018 1:51 am

KathyK wrote:When my horse went lame and I had to retire him four years ago, I was fairly certain I would not buy another and now I'm sure of it. During those four years I half-leased a few, took a year and a half off, and then started back with weekly lessons last spring. I've stopped for the winter (the only advantage I have found of not owning is not having to ride over the winter). I honestly don't know whether I'll start up again in the spring because at 67, while I was still riding well, it was a little bit harder each week to recover physically.

It has been mentioned a few times upthread that the difference between 60 and 65 is huge, and that has been my experience, as well. I was shocked by how hard it was to recover. If we didn't have winter I doubt I would have stopped because I always felt that the mental and emotional benefits outweighed any physical issues.

Oh, the difference a year and a half can make. I will turn 70 in 10 days and I'm actively looking for a horse! The wonderful schoolmaster I'd been riding died a few weeks ago, and I really don't want to stop, so I've decided to buy one.

If you know of something, 10 to 18 years old, 16 to 17 hands (prefer at the smaller end of that range), confirmed changes, east of the Mississippi, let me know. I don't care about color, mare or gelding is fine.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Sun May 27, 2018 8:45 pm

KathyK wrote:Oh, the difference a year and a half can make. I will turn 70 in 10 days and I'm actively looking for a horse! The wonderful schoolmaster I'd been riding died a few weeks ago, and I really don't want to stop, so I've decided to buy one.

If you know of something, 10 to 18 years old, 16 to 17 hands (prefer at the smaller end of that range), confirmed changes, east of the Mississippi, let me know. I don't care about color, mare or gelding is fine.
Good for you Kathy. I think if you truly want horse shopping help from us here, you need to provide a little more specifics in your want list.

If you are wanting a dressage horse, then insisting on confirmed changes is going to increase the price a lot. If you are interested in an all around type, then you could find lots of hunters that have changes. In fact, while I didn't go that route, looking at hunters to move to dressage could work out.

I spent lots of time perusing sales sites and I still do when I'm killing time. I have noticed, especially on the facebook groups, that any time an inexpensive horse pops up, there are dozens of replies. A little research on the horse, always shows a big red flag about why it is cheap.

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Sun May 27, 2018 9:29 pm

Yes, I understand that confirmed changes will cost! My budget is mid-five figures. I know this is a great place to get help horse shopping - we are a bunch of inveterate enablers, lol. As for breed, I wouldn't be interested in a Friesian, "gypsy" horse, or a draft cross, unless that draft cross was really, really special. What further details would be helpful?

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Mon May 28, 2018 7:10 pm

KathyK wrote:Yes, I understand that confirmed changes will cost! My budget is mid-five figures. I know this is a great place to get help horse shopping - we are a bunch of inveterate enablers, lol. As for breed, I wouldn't be interested in a Friesian, "gypsy" horse, or a draft cross, unless that draft cross was really, really special. What further details would be helpful?
Actually, I think it's a good idea to list the things you don't like. Do you want to use this thread for your horse search? I ask only because I imagine lots of young posters don't read here.

I will give you one horse I think may be a good match.

http://horsesdaily.com/market/horse-mar ... teur-dream

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Tue May 29, 2018 1:34 am

Thank you! I saw this horse advertised, maybe on FB, and sent the info to my trainer. She did not think he was a good match. It's hard to pin her down on details because, well, she's hard to pin down. But she knows me well and I trust her. I agree that this probably isn't the best spot for a horse search. I'll pull together my "don't wants" (there aren't very many) and make a thread in the OL.

Josette

Postby Josette » Wed May 30, 2018 11:14 am

https://www.warmblood-sales.com/HorseDe ... erID=11582

I enjoy watching this trainer/rider's videos.

demi

Postby demi » Wed May 30, 2018 11:58 pm

Josette wrote:https://www.warmblood-sales.com/HorseDetail.asp?HorseID=50426&UserID=11582

I enjoy watching this trainer/rider's videos.

Thanks for sharing that. She lives in Texas but Ive never seen her ride until that video. I really enjoyed it.

khall

Postby khall » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:04 pm

Josette I've been drooling over the horses this trainer has for sale for awhile now. She has quite a few Iberians which I love. That particular horse is just lovely. She looks like a very sympathetic rider/trainer.

Josette

Postby Josette » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:01 pm

Yes - she is one of my all time favorite trainer/rider. I frequently view her videos for learning as her aids are clear and beautiful equitation. She rides horses at different training levels too. Also, I go back to view her older 'sold' videos. Beautiful rider, respectful and sympathetic horsewoman IMO. Her horses are gorgeous too!

calvin
Herd Member

Postby calvin » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:35 pm

Well, I bought a 6 month old Hanoverian. Sire Londonderry, dam Duchess Alyce. Clearly I am slightly insane, but my plan is to involve my coach’s barn in the development of Babycakes.

(Get photos)

In the meantime,my 23 year old partner seems sound and healthy following laser, IRAP, and other treatment modalities after he went quite lame tweaking an arthritic area . . .

Wish us luck, please.

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Postby Srhorselady » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:54 am

Good luck Calvin and enjoy your adventure!

I had no plans to ever get another horse. I still have/had three elderly guys: one pasture pet, one walk only, and the third in rehab who “may” recover totally in Dec/Jan. I was looking for a horse for a friend. Any way, she is still looking and I came home with a pony. It will take me longer to get back into shape to ride than it will take the pony who hasn’t been ridden in three years. I’m waiting to ride until I get back from an out of state Thanksgiving trip. It’s quite exhilarating!

kande50

Postby kande50 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:11 am

Srhorselady wrote:I’m waiting to ride until I get back from an out of state Thanksgiving trip. It’s quite exhilarating!

It is, which I suppose is why we keep finding ways to continue to do it!

Congrats on the new pony, and I'm looking forward to hearing more as you get to know him/her better.

4Horse
Greenie

Postby 4Horse » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:11 pm

When we moved to our new place I had 3 old geldings that have been retired for awhile now. I was ready to get a ridable horse. I never thought I'd buy an Arab or a little horse much less one that is older but I did. It's great to be back in the saddle and closer to the ground; however, my old body is taking some time to get back into riding shape. I will have a riding horse as long as I can get on a horse. My neighbor is 79 and still riding her TB!

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:48 pm

Now that I've sold the mare I purchased last August and my old guy was euthanized in December, I'll probably start looking for a horse when the weather breaks. I learned some good lessons with the last purchase, so I think I have a better chance of things working out well. At least that's my hope.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:54 pm

KathyK wrote:Now that I've sold the mare I purchased last August and my old guy was euthanized in December, I'll probably start looking for a horse when the weather breaks. I learned some good lessons with the last purchase, so I think I have a better chance of things working out well. At least that's my hope.

Hope you find a great partner

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:05 pm

Thanks! I've re-prioritized my requirements to better reflect what I really want. Priority number one is pleasant and friendly.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:02 am

Is the criteria still the same Kathy? I mean....3rd+ level? My trainer will be back from Florida soon with a couple new ones he imported for resale. He picks good ones and they are well vetted. He picks amateur horses because that is where the market is. I'll send you links when they become available.

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:42 am

Yes, that would be great. Smaller (16, 16.1) and on the narrow side are plusses. The mare is 16.3 (we sticked her) and she really is too big. Riding wasn't a problem, but grooming and holy smokes heaving the saddle up there were a lot of effort.

Thanks for your help!

Return to “Senior Horses/Senior Riders”