More Leg! More Leg! - May and June Goals

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Tuddy
500 post plus club

More Leg! More Leg! - May and June Goals

Postby Tuddy » Tue May 01, 2018 1:41 pm

Oooh! Can I start this one!?

Now that my overtime at work is coming to an end, it's day light longer and perpetual winter seems to be over.... I can get back at it. Goals....

1. Phone the vet/dentist - I need coggins, vaccines and teeth done.
2. Finish paying off new saddle and get back on Yonka.
3. Find compatible instructor and do a meet and greet.
5. Tuddy - going to get some ground work done on him.

How many of you realized number 5 should actually be number 4.

And now you went back and looked!

Have a great day!!!!!!
Last edited by Tuddy on Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Re: More Leg! More Leg! - May and June Goals

Postby Ponichiwa » Tue May 01, 2018 2:10 pm

Thanks for kicking this off, Tuddy!

The long days are really helping my goals this year. Next threat: Texas summers. Time to hydrate.

Goals this month for me and Kiwi are:
1. Up the ante on the changes by asking for changes to counter canter from true canter at least 1x/week.
2. Build power in the trot. Weekly drill team rides with barnmates have opened my eyes to the fact that I've been really underpowering Kiwi's trot; time to build a bit more oomph into our trotwork with halfsteps to medium trot to slightly less than medium trot while keeping a bit slower tempo than is currently our practice at least 1x/week.
3. By end of 2-month challenge: be able to execute 20m square exercise with 1/4 pirouettes in each corner.

For just me:
1. Work out 4x/week prior to work.

StraightForward
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby StraightForward » Tue May 01, 2018 3:48 pm

1. Figure out what's up with Pickle and potentially put her up for sale
2. Work on Annabelle's transitions, elastic contact, keep improving bend
3. Run 2x a week and hit the gym 2x a week
4. Maybe show in June
5. ETA: Jump once a week
6. Video 1-2x per week
Keep calm and canter on.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue May 01, 2018 6:36 pm

It's apparently going to snow again tomorrow... Waah. Thank goodness for a decent indoor arena.

So goals for May and June:

1. The overarching one is to continue to work on forward, collected and connected.
2. Lose 5lbs
3. May 11th /12th ride with Mette Rosencrantz, yippee! Really looking forward to this
4. Go to a show in mid-June. Pondering setting sail for darkest Pocatello Idaho for this venture rather than showing one more time at the same local venue that always seems to generate drama and stress somehow. It less than 3 hours to Pocatello and it might be a nice weekend away!
5. Get my lovely spotty boy back to work now I've got his saddle situation figured out. Retirement is not entirely suiting him and he's getting a bit big for his britches without regular work and handling...

Other than that, I'll see how things are progressing once a completely nuts-at-work May has played out (I've had to get very firm about getting away for the Mette clinic.) I should be working less intensely, and from home, from June onwards, with luck and a following wind...

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Tue May 01, 2018 11:26 pm

Last edited by Ryeissa on Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

khall

Postby khall » Wed May 02, 2018 12:07 am

Goal, keep medium trots going. Being successful now was even able to sit them a bit today thanks to the reminder from dresseur sit a bit on the thighs.
Start asking for piaffe a bit more on the spot in hand. He is really getting the idea of this, helped working him in hand and without back wraps on so I could target lower on the leg with the whip. Really happy how he is handling this work.
Attempt the FCs again. Tried today and got nothing. Was just doing them or attempting to do them on a straight line, Rip really had no clue. He gave a couple of half hearted efforts where he kind of jumped up and shook his head and that was it.

So anyone try them in a light seat? With less collection? Wonder if I need to get up off him a bit, sit lightly maybe even use a pole see if he can get the idea. At least something of an idea.
Any thoughts or recommendations?

Have a clinic coming up first weekend of June so have that to look forward to.

Get filly US this go around, at least a bit.

DJR
500 post plus club

Postby DJR » Wed May 02, 2018 3:38 am

My personal goals:
-ride at least 4 times a week
-go for morning walks more days of the week than not
-cut back a bit on carbs

With Jet:
-show at Third Level in June
-in order to do that, keep him in work and improve his fitness
-insist on connection from inside leg to outside rein

With Pan:
-show at Second Level in June
-continue to work on throughness at trot (so I have a place to sit)
-introduce flying changes here & there

Neither horse is being ridden regularly enough for this. Frustrating but true.

With the other horses:
-Finn: he will continue with the trainer the next two months
-Sawyer (daughter's QH pony): daughter has an injured wrist so will see about finding someone else to ride him to keep him from being the devil when she's ready to ride again
-Dante & Aggie: find them new homes
Last edited by DJR on Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
formerly known as "Deanna" on UDBB -- and prior to that, as "DJD".

Shirrine
Herd Member

Postby Shirrine » Wed May 02, 2018 9:42 am

Entered for 2 comps and will do our first 2nd level tests. That is elimentory tests here with laterals and counter canters.
It has taken a long time to get to this stage due to my health issues and knowing I wouldn't be able to get through this level of tests. Very excited.

Shirrine
Horses are meant to enjoy, so enjoy

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed May 02, 2018 2:01 pm

Horse goals. Ride Kimba and Deneb at least four times weekly and have them ready for the Helmut clinic.

Personal goals. Continue to eat healthy and strive for more personal fitness.

Organize and streamline for potential cross country move

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Wed May 02, 2018 8:16 pm

Shirrine, that's fantastic! Looking forward to an update on your comp :)

For Miro and I - this will be the month of the canter. We've found our trot, and his lateral work is going swimmingly. Overall, I'm really happy with the feel of it. The canter is lagging. He doesn't move through the back the same way that he does in the trot, and as others have noticed, he wants to retract the neck and pose. We have a large outdoor ring at our disposal - so we're going to do longer sets of canter, with lengthening down the long sidea to get him to open up. We're hoping that will help him connect up and push his shoulders up and out of the way so that he can develop a better connection in the bridle. In Andrea's words, he'd be a prime candidate for a galloping track to just get him to open up.

khall

Postby khall » Wed May 02, 2018 8:27 pm

Dresseur do you every do light seat on Miro in the canter?

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Wed May 02, 2018 8:42 pm

Yes, we've tried that. A light seat and a true half seat. When you go to a light seat on the canter, he pings his croup up. You almost have to ride the haunches down. He's just very, very quick to slap the front down. Some of it is the bridle connection. Some of it is that he drops his back. In the other thread, I think that you had mentioned giving him more rein - I can ride on a totally loose rein and that's where he puts himself in the canter. In fact, if I drop the rein, he ducks. He's always done it... even carrying on the field, he tends to hold his neck back and up into himself rather than adopting a more galloping position. He acts more like a friesian in the neck if that analogy makes sense. I find that I have to find him and then push the poll out, but it's a long process. It's already better than it was, but there is still a ways to go.

khall

Postby khall » Wed May 02, 2018 9:34 pm

Dresseur, sounds very difficult to change. What about spiral in a bit on the circle and the yield out to encourage more reach for the outside rein? I've done spirals where you spiral in the trot to small circle then as you spiral out ask for canter and push the canter a bit. It is almost like plie' canter, but you also have the bending line to encourage that lengthening of the outside of the horse. Will he not take the rein in a stretch at the canter?

I did not do this for many years (stretching in canter) with Rip nor ride in light seat not because of his frame but for safety reasons, lol! Now I can do both and it really helps them in the back.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Wed May 02, 2018 10:01 pm

Dang, Dresseur, Miro sounds just. like. Rudy. That canter thing is super hard to work out. When Rudy was very green, he even cantered like an Arab for awhile (hollow back, neck straight up), then he switched to Iberian type canter (neck up, nose tucked, croup high). Tough to explain to others when you're riding a TB. :lol: Over the years I have just tried to keep the 3 beat rhythm in my head and in my body as best as I can and done roughly a million transitions in and out of canter.

Lately, I have been exaggerating following the bascule with my hands without moving my body (if that makes sense.) If I do it just right he gradually takes up more rein and reaches out on his own; from there I can collect without the suck back/croup pop thing. This works best out of the trot rather than the walk at first. With w-c, I have to make absolutely sure there is more of him out in front than behind and that I push forward with my hands the very first step (again, without moving my body.) Being a TB, he is capable of some beautiful canter work but it does take focus and patience (and probably loin strength.)

I'm probably no help at all, but at least you know you are not the only one. ;)

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Wed May 02, 2018 10:05 pm

Sue B, yes! If you've ever ridden a hyper-mobile horse, you know exactly what I'm describing. And that's what I'm doing as well with him - following the bascule and pushing the neck out and down a bit.

Khall, it's changeable - it just takes time. And, he's still growing, so he gets wonky as he goes through growth spurts. So, unfortunately, it's not an if you do this exercise, it will change overnight type of solution. I don't do spiral in/out with him in general because of the way that he collapses and just starts moving parts. It tends to be a sure fire way to break him into pieces - so I stick to plain circles. It may be something that I look at again in the future, but as of right now, I want him connected to both reins equally so that I can push the neck out, spiraling in/out has made him lighter on one rein vs another, and I don't want that. The issue is not connection to inside vs. outside rein, he's equal opportunity collapse to the inside or push through the outside because of the flexibility of his back. So, at the moment, he stretches incrementally the correct way, and he's better in the trot. The exercises that seem to work the best for him is CC because I can straighten him and lengthening because I can knit him together - then he starts drawing the rein out. Basically, I want him to pull on me a little. He's ultra-light because he's posed in the canter. I'm happy with the game-plan that we have for this particular aspect in training because there have already been improvements. He's on the right track.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Wed May 02, 2018 10:41 pm

Ponichiwa wrote:3. By end of 2-month challenge: be able to execute 20m square exercise with 1/4 pirouettes in each corner.

What is the key skill of canter squares? I was able to do them easily on a first level 16 HH QH and yet had trouble doing them on my 16.2 1/2 HH second/third level draft cross. I think it is a question of being able to take a largish HH coupled with intrinsic cattiness in the horse. My horse can take a HH but he is not as catty as the QH.

Curious about your thoughts on this.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Wed May 02, 2018 10:45 pm

khall wrote: It is almost like plie' canter, but you also have the bending line to encourage that lengthening of the outside of the horse. Will he not take the rein in a stretch at the canter?

While plie is away from the lead, I have also done canter LY into the lead. This is harder than plie in terms of horse effort and I don't know where you are in your rehab. I mention it because my horse tends to lengthen his body when doing canter LY into the lead for some reason. You might want to try it.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Wed May 02, 2018 10:51 pm

My goal for my horse is to continue to bring him out of retirement. 24/7 turnout plus riding 5 days a week on hills and uneven ground is working to keep him sound on most days.

My goal for the horse I exercise is to solidify second level work and move onto third level work. I have been flexing him at the poll and yesterday he was loose enough that he could have his neck in normal position (not out and down) and I could flip the nuchal ligament several times just with a small flexion (eyelash to eyelash). This horse can be ridden on the buckle just on seat and still be in one piece but I have to resist that and keep him up to the bridle more.

Flight

Postby Flight » Wed May 02, 2018 11:03 pm

I was going to say Miro sounds a bit friesian like! It just takes time for them to change how they hold themselves. Watching your vids on the last goals thread, you are both doing great. I thought his canter looked pretty good, especially given that he is only young and had time off. It is interesting reading how you are working it all out with him though.

My goals is to work a bit more with Norsey (providing he stays sound of course). Start asking him to work more from his hindlegs and consequently round more over his topline. I took him to a comp on the weekend and he did really well - got off the float and was like "oh yeah I've been here before" and was very well behaved.
Dingaling - going to do a little horse trials comp with him and aim towards the next level with the showjumping instructor I have. Also, keep chipping away at those damn piris.
For me, get back into running now that I've moved. Got to find places to run around here and keep settling in. I've lived by myself for the past 10 years, it's been a big change and I'm struggling a bit.

Here's a pic of Norsey. It's autumn here and while we really need some rain, the weather is finally quite nice.

norseyncec5s.jpg
norseyncec5s.jpg (102.42 KiB) Viewed 21191 times

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Wed May 02, 2018 11:25 pm

Tsavo wrote:
khall wrote: It is almost like plie' canter, but you also have the bending line to encourage that lengthening of the outside of the horse. Will he not take the rein in a stretch at the canter?

While plie is away from the lead, I have also done canter LY into the lead. This is harder than plie in terms of horse effort and I don't know where you are in your rehab. I mention it because my horse tends to lengthen his body when doing canter LY into the lead for some reason. You might want to try it.

Tsavo - I do this with him, and it works quite well. I don't do it often nor do I go very steep - but it really connects him and I get that feeling of him lengthening his body.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Wed May 02, 2018 11:36 pm

Tsavo wrote:

Tsavo, I do counter-bend canter half pass sometimes for that effect (just another POV :-D ). It helps release the SI in my horse.

Dresseur, I'm just grateful you're describing your process and the work it takes! It is humbling that this is a challenge, with your talent, education and support + dedication (and your horse's ability). As you know, I, too, have a hyper mobile easy to be fake round horse, so I get that this is hard (and a bit built in to the type).

For more "normal" horses, really good, active canter squares are tough to do with consistent activity. It requires real weight-loading and shoulder control. For my miss hyper mobile, my main work is on controlling the options + maintaining consistent power, not sitting and making the corner! :lol:

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Wed May 02, 2018 11:44 pm

May-June Goals

Me:
-Continue with spin cycling 3-4 times per week. It is such a help to have a cardio base to draw on when the riding work gets tougher.
-Explore photo/video options. I'm not quite ready to buy a Soloshot but I'm close.

Emi:
-Build Emi's hot weather fitness deliberately. She is such a worker that I need to be mindful of offering a good mix of work, rest and recovery. It has been in the 80s this week for ex. I felt I worked her a bit hard yesterday, so today we just hacked and included more deliberate pauses in shade than usual.
-Keep sharpening canter depart.
-When it is super sharp, try a change. (I now understand how that CC on a circle to a FC works + how it would work for us, and will use that exercise when possible for clarity).-
-Manage that right to left bend change more deliberately.
-Keep being super clear about expectations. I am not that much of a slacker but upping my leg = forward (or there be consequences) game this past month has made a big difference. I am basically a lazy rider who wants my horse to shoot forward from the leg! And Emi is basically a horse who wants the legs to be super soft and quiet---or she holds her breath and tightens.
-Do the trot homework (which is always mediums and transitions).

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Thu May 03, 2018 12:35 am

Dresseur wrote:
Tsavo wrote:

Tsavo - I do this with him, and it works quite well. I don't do it often nor do I go very steep - but it really connects him and I get that feeling of him lengthening his body.

Ah I thought that was your quote but it was from khall. I was talking about Miro.

I definitely don't do it often because it seems really hard for my horse. And of course now at the beginning of me un-retiring him, I probably won't be doing that for a very long time .

khall

Postby khall » Thu May 03, 2018 12:29 pm

tsavo not ponichiwa but for me to do the squares is developing the CP canter, so collect with activity almost to the spot and turn, turn then forward so they don't stall out. I think if you HH too hard you can block them, so IMO smaller HH and keeping the HQ activity so the horse sits behind and can bring their shoulders around.

khall

Postby khall » Thu May 03, 2018 12:31 pm

I did not get the video I had hoped to with Rip, did get a bit of video of my filly lunging. Hard to try to video and lunge at the same time! My friend who was supposed to video Rip was busy getting ready to leave for KY and the Derby. Know 2 going this year, on my bucket list one day!

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Thu May 03, 2018 12:39 pm

khall wrote:tsavo not ponichiwa but for me to do the squares is developing the CP canter, so collect with activity almost to the spot and turn, turn then forward so they don't stall out. I think if you HH too hard you can block them, so IMO smaller HH and keeping the HQ activity so the horse sits behind and can bring their shoulders around.

Right it is not a correct canter square if the horse stalls.

I am just saying I had x amount of core which was sufficient to do a correct canter square on a catty first level QH and literally the next week with the same x amount of core I could not do the 90* turn on my draft cross who was more highly trained and could collect more. This is one reason I wanted to get a smaller horse for my last horse... I just think I will get much further much faster.

At this point, I think cattiness is the master variable for canter squares among horses who understand HH.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Thu May 03, 2018 1:49 pm

Khall's got my logic here.

I need to improve the sit and carry and turn in the canter to the point that we can transition into and out of sitting and turning at any time. We've schooled a bit of canter square already but the corners have not been true 1/4-pirouettes. They've been a bit of either the flat-spin or the too-many-steps varieties, so actually schooling like 1/4 pirouettes (1-2 strides of sitting and turning) will be a significant step change (heh heh heh) in quality.

I also like to do hexagons or triangles to change the number of turning steps. I just haven't done those in a while with Kiwi.

khall

Postby khall » Thu May 03, 2018 4:22 pm

tsavo you asked "What is the key skill of canter squares?" so I addressed your question based on my knowledge and what I felt ponichiwa was aiming for. I don't really know what you mean by cattiness, what I think about is the ability of the horse to bring his shoulders around which is tied in strongly to his ability to collect almost on the spot. Lower the haunches and raise the shoulders. I do feel that certain conformational traits do contribute to a horse's ease for CP, but I don't really think it is size, but the ability to take weight behind and IMO a shorter coupled horse with strong loin finds this easier than the longer weaker in the loin horse will.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Thu May 03, 2018 4:36 pm

Well this was a first level horse who allowed his shoulders to be picked and placed with core. I don't think he could do higher collection than required to do a first level test.

Cattiness is the word I use to get across how easy it was for him to do something like a canter square that requires fast twitch muscles to change direction on a dime.

khall

Postby khall » Thu May 03, 2018 4:43 pm

Was the square correct then? If he could not collect correctly, if he could not do beginnings of CP canter, then how could he correctly do a square? A roll back perhaps? Not true start of CP? Because I do not see how a horse could do a 1/4 turn CP without almost collecting on the spot.

Pretty good explanation IMO of how to start CP
https://www.manolomendezdressage.com/20 ... pirouette/

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Thu May 03, 2018 5:00 pm

What is a roll back?

khall

Postby khall » Thu May 03, 2018 5:11 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXXfPTqW55M

After the sliding stop, roll back.

A bit different perspective with ranch horse competition:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6g4f9gxGO9Y

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Thu May 03, 2018 6:27 pm

Okay in roll back the horse is first halted, yes? That is not what I am talking about.

I am saying I am on a straight line in canter and negotiate a 90 degree turn by HH and picking the shoulders up and them landing on another line in 1 - 2 strides all while in canter. I think that is technically a canter square and a 1/4 piro, no?

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu May 03, 2018 6:49 pm

Last edited by Chisamba on Thu May 03, 2018 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Thu May 03, 2018 7:03 pm

Tsavo wrote:Okay in roll back the horse is first halted, yes? That is not what I am talking about.
Maybe it's called a 'roll back' in western reining, but roll back is also a term used in jumping. You can google it and see how it's ridden. Basically a tight turn.

On another note, that western riding makes me cringe.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu May 03, 2018 8:21 pm

https://youtu.be/1M3yBZjdu0A

a catlike horse

although metallic cat is probably more cat like but i prefer the first horses gait and i am not posting a Metallic Cat video because i cannot stand the screeching dip wad who seems to be in Beau Galyeans fan club

khall

Postby khall » Thu May 03, 2018 9:49 pm

chisamba I am not saying one is better than the other roll back, CP etc. But the biomechanics of CP is very different from roll back in jumping, Western, WE or garoche (sp?) CP takes strength and flexibility and COLLECTION where the joints of the hind legs compress and take weight. If the horse turns in collection then yes it is a CP whether it is a 1/4 turn or 1/2 turn of full piri, same canter. If the horse is in a "1st level canter" That cannot be a CP 1/4 turn or otherwise. Can a horse turn without collection? Yes, but not the same biomechanics. The square is a COLLECTING exercise, used in training to check the horse's adjustability and weight bearing, using just 1/4 turn so the horse is not over faced.

Years ago I was watching Courtney King on Idocous riding with a German trainer whose name escapes me right now, he had her doing squares with the horse. VERY collected coming up to the turn, then turn, turn and forward just a bit. Difficult work and not 1st level horse, but FEI horse.

Again years ago I went to watch or ride with a trainer in ATL, she is fairly well known locally GP rider. She at the time was riding a Lippi stallion at GP. Watching her collect that horse on the spot was just amazing. You could literally walk beside the horse while he was cantering, just about on the spot. She never turned the canter doing CP just would collect on the spot for several strides and then forward. Training for the strength and flexibility he needed for the CP.

MC I hate reining with a passion. Google what walling is in reining, criminal in my book.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Thu May 03, 2018 10:41 pm

musical comedy wrote:
Tsavo wrote:Okay in roll back the horse is first halted, yes? That is not what I am talking about.
Maybe it's called a 'roll back' in western reining, but roll back is also a term used in jumping. You can google it and see how it's ridden. Basically a tight turn.

On another note, that western riding makes me cringe.

I think I know what you are talking about and those are done at speed and would be a whipping around some random amount rather than a controlled 90* turn done by lifting and placing the shoulders. I agree that is a tight turn absent much collection but I suspect they are not done on the haunches.
Last edited by Tsavo on Thu May 03, 2018 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Thu May 03, 2018 10:44 pm

khall wrote: If the horse is in a "1st level canter" That cannot be a CP 1/4 turn or otherwise.

That's what I would have said before I rode that horse. He was able to slow in the corners and let me pick up his shoulders. This was a bunch of fun that he could do this.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu May 03, 2018 11:16 pm

Khall, i was taught canter squares as a little dipper riding a jumper. it was, as you have agreed, not a collecting exercise, but an exercise in moving the shoulder to line the horse up to the jump, it was done in counter bend.

Peter, my first GP dressage instructor said that the canter should be the same speed as the walk, or the walk should be the same speed as the canter. the trot is the stand out.

I agree also, Khall, that the dressage square exercise, in preparation for pirouette is a collecting exercise and is definitely fourth level and above. its just that canter squares, hexagons, octagons, et al can also be used for shoulder control, and can in fact be done with the quarters higher then the shoulders ( in the cutting horse or barrel or pole bending speed horse) and it can be done in a forward canter, ( the jumper)

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Fri May 04, 2018 2:39 am

Shoulder control sounds right. I was lifting the shoulders (and placing them over) to achieve the corner as opposed to lowering the haunches. That squares with doing this on a first level horse, no pun intended LOL.

khall

Postby khall » Fri May 04, 2018 2:50 am

Long reply went poof!

it looks like we are all on the same page, interesting side discussion for sure.

Ponichiwa do you do HI in canter on circle to help with engagement and collection? We did this in Spain in prep for FCs and CP. I've been asking a bit of this with Rip (he thinks it is really hard!) but boy can I feel the engagement!! All to help build the flexibility and strength. My WBs are big strong but not the most flexible of horses. All the lateral work over the years has helped to change this and now I can really feel it even more with Rip and the piaffe work, building that strength and engagement.

Picture and a bit of video of Joplin my Lusitano filly

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

Not the best, hard to video and lunge at the same time! Plus I usually lunge her in the big arena not the RP, allows her more forward and freedom, but needed that to tape. Kept dropping the dang phone and almost getting her leg over the line several times.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Fri May 04, 2018 3:49 am

My goal for the month...Get on 10 times.

1 time down. I rode today. I took Kyra over to the trotting track we have on the property and did 4 1/2 laps (about 3/4 of a mile). My back was not terribly happy and I am not pushing it when it is not. Her behavior was good. One forlorn whinny looking for a buddy but that was it. I did some leg yield sets back an forth across the track but otherwise just worked on establishing a nice forward walk. She can get tense over there away from everyone and of course we have the velociraptor bush on the back side of the track but the most she tried to do is speed up. I had her halt, rein back a few steps then wait until her feet were still before we proceeded again.

She is back in her regular pen again. The fence is now psssstt HOT. They also put up a temporary little electric fence about 4 feet from the shared fence line so the girls that don't get along can't even reach each other. Both of them are pretty marked up from their little discussions so hopefully that will cease. Poor Kyra, she picked up one more ding while she was in the stall. All the horses startled at the trash cart coming around the corner and bolted out of their stalls. Kyra didn't quite clear the door so has a nice owey looking ding on her hip :roll: . I am going through a lot of first aid ointment. Mostly superficial stuff so that isn't bad.

Dresseur, Kyra's canter can be very much like Miro's. When she was a baby, I thought it was very cool and 'collected'. Yeah, not so much. It is hard to get them to bend the hind limb joints rather than swing from the hip. What seems to be helping Kyra is working on a bit of half steps and getting her to really fold the hind leg. Yes, you have to be very careful not to get the bouncing croup. Also, a lot of rein back (3-5 steps) then forward...not necessarily into canter just to the the croup lowering and the leg taking more weight. I know he is young but to start 'playing' with the concepts and keeping short and sweet shouldn't hurt a thing. Cavaletti and some small bounces in canter? I don't know if your rehab is done and whether that would be appropriate but that would also get him folding his hind leg.

Happy riding all.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Fri May 04, 2018 3:12 pm

Very interesting side discussion, y'all.

Kyra, jingles that you get your 10 rides in. Nice that kyra is finally so "grown-up" that you can ride her around the track wiithout fear.

I am sooooo excited! Thanks to SF's generosity, I got to try a hoop tree on Tio, and even though it was a touch narrow, he loved the shape so much that I immediately called Adrienne and ordered a saddle. Luckily she had one in stock she thinks might fit so it's on its way. Doin' the happy dance! :lol:
(That is until I get the bill. I didn't ask.)

demi

Postby demi » Fri May 04, 2018 5:48 pm

I just went back and looked at my March/ April goals.

Lose 8 lbs.....almost (7.5)
Ride Emma 3 times a week....not met. In fact I retried her from riding because it was just too much effort to try and keep her in work along with all her fly allergy maintainace. It has been a relief not having the pressure (self-induced) of trying to keep her in work.
And last: video my rides a couple time a week....didnt happen. I started out good but then just plain failed.

And I didn't list it as a goal, but I have been consistently working out 4 times a week since January 1. I think this helped me with the weight loss.

So I have just two things to add for May/ June:

1.) Video at the end of each month.

2.) Enjoy my riding.

I will also continue to enjoy everyone else’s progress! I do enjoy the variety on this board :)

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Sun May 06, 2018 4:05 pm

My goals/continued goals are:

1. Lose 10 lbs. The final goal is 20 lbs but as I mentioned in the last thread I have a tendency to get obsessive to the point of being unhealthy if I'm not careful so I'm giving myself very reasonable goals and to make sure I stay healthy throughout the process.

2. Continue working on Pal being forward. We've improved a fair bit but there's still work to be done.

3. More lessons.

DJR
500 post plus club

Postby DJR » Mon May 07, 2018 12:24 am

I took both Panache & Jet to a Tom Dvorak clinic today. I really enjoy riding with Tom, he's very down to Earth and has an excellent eye to help improve the horses in front of him.

I very pleased with how Panache coped psychologically. He's definitely getting back to his more usual self now. He got right down to work once I got on, and didn't even get that upset when the horse ahead of our lesson left the ring.

I was even more pleased with Jet. He's still getting back in shape, but everything was there and better than it was when I rode with Tom back in October. We focused on trot work, but did do some canter work including flying changes. Happily, once I got Jet straight & more collected, he gave me some of his best changes to date, clean each time. Yay!

Here's a short video showing one of his changes (his right change was even better than this one), and some subsequent canter LY work.
https://youtu.be/T1t66r7Kx4k

Onward & upward!
formerly known as "Deanna" on UDBB -- and prior to that, as "DJD".

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon May 07, 2018 3:51 am

I had an interesting and productive lesson yesterday. I asked trainer to hop on and work with the canter, and try out the FCs. I wanted to find out whether he actually knew what he was doing or whether we were both learning together...

It was interesting. He clearly does understand what he is being asked to do, which is good news for me :) The left to right change was clean and easy. The right to left was harder for him--he made a good go at it, but he still finds it hard to make that push off the right hind. Our feeling is that the issue is more between the ears than much of a physical issue, but obviously he needs to actually trust that it's going to work.

So, I'm to leave it alone, and work on strengthening, lateral work, and finding faith in that right hind.

I got back on after she'd prepped him for me and felt some of the best collected canter work ever. It was so much fun :)

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Mon May 07, 2018 4:25 am

Ride #2 down :D . I think I rode for nearly 30 minutes. The butt is coming along. That seat saver is nice. Too bad they didn't have those years ago not that I wouldn't eventually had the same outcome with the surgery. The back...not so much but it is tolerable so ride I will. I can still get on and off ;) .

Gorgeous day. I took her over to the track again. She was walking out nicely so I asked for more figures. Each direction we did a leg yield zig-zag on one side then on the next side a volte to half pass across the track then rinse and repeat the other direction then free walk. She took to it easily. She did startle a couple times...I can tell I haven't ridden much as I startled more than she did :oops: . Luckily my flashback to earlier days wasn't enough to set her off further. Riding back to the indoor where I tack up, I couldn't resist stopping in the outdoor and trying a bit of trot and canter. It was quite nice however, my back doesn't tolerate canter very well so it was short and sweet. I don't want to block her by guarding my back.

On the way to my barn I stopped and helped Straightforward with Annabelle's in-hand work a bit. She looks like a totally different horse than the one she bought last year. All to the good ;) .

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Mon May 07, 2018 3:29 pm

Sf, KM, was it a gorgeous weekend or what?! :D :D

DS had 2 soccer games Saturday plus I work in the morning and so I did not get to ride. I did, however, spend the hour free time I had trimming manes and tails so my horses look slightly more presentable now. So far I've ridden twice in my new saddle and lunged once (Saturday, to get a sweat mark picture) and yesterday he seemed to like it even more than Friday. I am hoping I can get another ride in this afternoon to see if we are still trending towards the positive. Meanwhile, Tio, in spite of having overly long feet, is getting a nice swing in his back and goes about his work with enthusiasm, even yesterday when it was in the 80's. My only hesitation is the shoulder gussets are a bit large for him, but they do seem to be getting squished down with evry use. I've never had a new saddle before so I don't know how much they change during the breaking-in process. Anyone here know? The saddle, btw, is super comfy for me; I have absolutely zero sore spots from riding in it.

Return to “Dressage Training”