Equilab -- anyone else using this app?

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
piedmontfields
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Equilab -- anyone else using this app?

Postby piedmontfields » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:09 pm

A young boarder at the barn told me about this app, Equilab. It is free and downloadable from the Apple App store.

It's a fun way to record info about your rides, including distance covered, amount of time in w-t-c, amount of left vs right rein work. You can also add notes on each ride. For example, yesterday Emi and I covered 6.5 miles, with 24 minutes of trot, 13 minutes of canter and 44 minutes of walk (we hacked to the XC field and then did some work).

piedmontfields

Re: Equilab -- anyone else using this app?

Postby piedmontfields » Tue May 01, 2018 12:17 am

OK, maybe this is just a silly geeky thing! Today we hacked 3 miles at the walk. Easy day under glorious sunshine!

demi

Postby demi » Tue May 01, 2018 3:08 am

You got my interest...I just downloaded it. It looks like a fun and easy way to keep track of things. I just started Rocky back to work today, after a couple of weeks off so I just lunged. It’s supposed to rain for the rest of the week :( so I may not get to use the app till the rain stops.

Xanthoria
Herd Member

Postby Xanthoria » Tue May 01, 2018 4:58 am

Hey looks pretty cool- I just downloaded it!

Xanthoria
Herd Member

Postby Xanthoria » Thu May 03, 2018 5:00 am

Ok just tried it - awesome app! Tons more data output than I expected. I’ll be using this a lot!

demi

Postby demi » Thu May 03, 2018 6:19 pm

I used It yesterday for longeing. It gave me the total time worked plus number of minutes each at walk, trot, and canter. Also number of minutes in each direction. The neat part was that it showed tracings of Rocky’s steps in the satellite view of my arena with each gait in a different color. I worry about the affect on joints with too much longeing on small circles so I always try to keep the circles at 20 meters. The satellite view showed that my circles were very close to 20 m.

This would be a good way of checking geometry in riding.

As Xan points out, there,s lots more data, too, but I haven’t figured out what it all means yet.

Xanthoria
Herd Member

Postby Xanthoria » Thu May 03, 2018 7:10 pm

Demi did you attach your phone to the horse to lunge him then? I was just thinking of the same thing...

demi

Postby demi » Thu May 03, 2018 7:17 pm

Just to clarify my above post: I run my longe line through the bit ring and hook it to the side ring on the surcingle. This makes it too short to do a 20 m circle so I have to walk a small concentric circle to keep Rocky’s circle at 20m. Plus, I walk the circles up and down the arena. I have to pay attention to keep the circles uniform. It shows up nicely on the Equilab app but the file is too large to post the picture on here.

demi

Postby demi » Thu May 03, 2018 7:26 pm

Yes, I attached it to the surcingle. I turned off the volume and vibration just in case!

You’ve probably noticed that there are selections for longeing, hacking, dressage, etc
Last edited by demi on Thu May 03, 2018 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xanthoria
Herd Member

Postby Xanthoria » Thu May 03, 2018 7:27 pm

Oh it has sounds and vibes? I didn't notice! How did you attach to surcingle?

demi

Postby demi » Thu May 03, 2018 7:30 pm

My phone has sounds and vibes not the app:)
I put the phone in a slim fanny pak with an elastic belt, shortened the belt and ran it thru the surcingle rings

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri May 04, 2018 5:53 am

I tried it, but felt like with that and the video, tech was distracting me from my ride too much, when it's the time I should be taking a break from tech.

It would be a great record keeping tool for an trainer though.
Keep calm and canter on.

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Fri May 04, 2018 12:50 pm

I saw another thing a while back that actually attaches to the girth and measures how high the horse is picking up their feet, and a bunch of other info. Looked really cool, but was very expensive.

Anyhow I got this on my android to try out now I have to figure out how I'm going to attach my phone to myself for my ride. I have one of those armbands to hold a phone but my upper arms store most of my upper body fat so it's rather uncomfortable to get it tight enough not to flop around.
Last edited by Imperini on Fri May 04, 2018 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xanthoria
Herd Member

Postby Xanthoria » Fri May 04, 2018 12:55 pm

Used it lungeing last night. Good data! I spent too much time going to the right but I did get enough canter work in. I put my phone in a slim zip coin purse with a wrist loop to secure - purse stayed tucked under the surcingle perfectly.
Last edited by Xanthoria on Sat May 05, 2018 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

demi

Postby demi » Fri May 04, 2018 5:58 pm

Imperini wrote:I saw another thing a while back that actually attaches to the girth and measures how high the horse is picking up their feet, and a bunch of other info. ...

Imperini, there’s a bunch of data like that on the Equilab app. I haven’t figured it all out yet but under “details” in your workout history, there are graphs for beat(bpm), speed(mph), stride(ft), and elevation(ft).

demi

Postby demi » Fri May 04, 2018 6:00 pm

StraightForward wrote:I tried it, but felt like with that and the video, tech was distracting me from my ride too much, when it's the time I should be taking a break from tech.

It would be a great record keeping tool for an trainer though.

I can relate. But for me, this is way easier than videoing my rides with a cell phone camera. But, of course, the videos would be way more helpful...

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sat May 05, 2018 12:05 am

Demi, you are so right.

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Sun May 06, 2018 3:56 pm

I was able to try it out yesterday. It says Pal and I are still too slow.. Here I thought we were doing good lately :lol: Really neat though, I'm excited to use it again today. I just strapped it to my arm and it felt weird at first but I didn't notice it when I got going.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Mon May 07, 2018 1:43 pm

What do you mean by "too slow" Imperini?

I'm noticing that in a typical arena session, I spend about 10 minutes in canter, 15-20 in trot, and 20+ in walk (between warm-up, breaks and cool out).

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Mon May 07, 2018 2:09 pm

I was looking at the meters per minute and comparing it with another site that showed a typical range for each gait. According to that we are waaay off but I'm not so sure because I rode with the app on for our play day yesterday and we were trotting and cantering at what I would consider a pretty good pace and just barely got into the suggested ranges. I wouldn't ask for the canter we were doing in an arena setting ever so I wonder if the averaging really distorts the values.

HafDressage
Herd Member

Postby HafDressage » Mon May 07, 2018 2:16 pm

Okay so I'm totally obsessed. I love it. Even if it's not 100% accurate, it still gives me some idea of what is going on and definitely helps me understand some of my flaws. For example, I seem to track left (his easy side) more than I track right, which is totally unintentional. I'm putting screen shots below for those who haven't seen it. I'll definitely be using it more in the future....although both days I've forgotten to turn it off, so it picks up like an hour of me just walking around on foot (although it does keep it separate from my riding stats).

Screenshot_20180505-173100.png
Screenshot_20180505-173100.png (151.44 KiB) Viewed 18025 times

Screenshot_20180505-173040.png
Screenshot_20180505-173040.png (160.67 KiB) Viewed 18025 times

Screenshot_20180505-173027.png
Screenshot_20180505-173027.png (109.33 KiB) Viewed 18025 times

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Mon May 07, 2018 3:16 pm

I love how you all are teaching me how to use this app! I keep learning about more screens from this thread :-)

HafD, I like the turn summary, too. I tend to work longer on the hard side (which I'm okay with to some extent), but I don't want that to be too out of whack.

Xanthoria
Herd Member

Postby Xanthoria » Tue May 08, 2018 4:28 pm

I can't find that screen with the color coded bars of gaits - I only see one with single colors but gaits on different levels?

I did just find a radial graph of gaits, distance, duration and turns which is cool AND it lets you compare your graph with what I guess is an average training for a particular discipline? Very useful.

Wish I had put my phone on the horse for my recent jump lesson - does anyone know if it counts jumping efforts?

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Tue May 08, 2018 7:20 pm

I found the navigation through the app a little weird at first but I think I'm getting the hang of it now.. of course I'm probably missing whole screens or some other interesting thing :lol:

If you go to an individual training there should be a Details button that will get you to the section that gives you the color coded bar.

demi

Postby demi » Tue May 08, 2018 11:25 pm

I used it again today and found it to be VERY useful for my particular situation. I need to build my own stamina and having the break down of walk/trot/ canter minutes will let me know if I am improving. For now I am just going to try to increase my trotting. When I see significant improvement in the time I am able to trot, I’ll start working on canter.

Xan, there is a “show jumping” category in “training type” . Maybe that will work for your jumping lessons.

Xanthoria
Herd Member

Postby Xanthoria » Wed May 09, 2018 5:16 pm

I tried the show jumping category last night and no luck: didn't add jumping efforts. And boy, were there some ridiculous EFFORTS! :shock: :mrgreen:

That would have been super handy though - I always stop jumping when he feels tired, but tracking his progress/stamina there would be nice. I'll ask the developer to add, if poss.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Tue May 15, 2018 12:43 am

So when I look at my works and compare them, we are most like "an event horse" (compared to a dressage horse, we do more distance, longer trots, longer canters, similar changes of direction). Not science but kind of fun!

Xanthoria
Herd Member

Postby Xanthoria » Tue May 15, 2018 2:06 am

I totally learned I need to canter a lot more. And go left more. And just ride longer!

demi

Postby demi » Tue May 15, 2018 11:45 pm

I am using the app every time i ride now and have data for 8 rides (I would have 10 but twice I forgot to “start” the ride). I think it is quite accurate. I have only done 6 dressage rides and 2 longeing. I havent done any trail or hill work in the last two weeks as I have been trying to build my stamina for dressage, but the app has been very helpful in that respect. My rides are 30-40 minutes, and only 10-12 minutes of trot. I was really surprised by that because I was sure I was doing 15-20 minutes of trot. I can see the big clock in my barn from the arena, and I start trotting after 10 minutes of walk. It sure seemed to me that, except for a few minutes walk break here and there, I was trotting the whole rest of my rides, which would be 20-30 minutes.

The app is keeping me honest, and I now have solid data on which to base my improvement (or lack thereof!) After the initial disappointment of facing the reality, I am now psyched to build my stamina. I’ve doubled my trotting time since I started keeping track. The type of trot I am doing is “strong and forward” as opposed to the “baby trot”.

I still haven’t figured out how to compare my rides with others....not sure I want to know at this point anyway :lol:

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Wed May 16, 2018 6:03 pm

I downloaded it and I keep forgetting to try it :lol:

HafDressage
Herd Member

Postby HafDressage » Thu May 17, 2018 3:29 am

demi wrote: My rides are 30-40 minutes, and only 10-12 minutes of trot. I was really surprised by that because I was sure I was doing 15-20 minutes of trot. I can see the big clock in my barn from the arena, and I start trotting after 10 minutes of walk. It sure seemed to me that, except for a few minutes walk break here and there, I was trotting the whole rest of my rides, which would be 20-30 minutes.

Okay me too on this one! I would swear to you I canter my ENTIRE ride for like at least 20 min total. With breaks of ccourse, but still the overall quantity being high, but the app says it's usually only about 10 minutes, which really makes me realize that we can do a lot more to improve our fitness.

So I have found one weakness to the app (other than forgetting to turn it off), I think that when you are on an uneven surface it doesn't always pick up the direction that you are traveling correctly. When I ride out in the grass ring, which has a slight slant to it, it seems to think I'm going left or right all the time, wwhen in reality I'mm going both ways. In the ring, however, it's very accurate.

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Thu May 17, 2018 12:58 pm

HafDressage wrote:So I have found one weakness to the app (other than forgetting to turn it off), I think that when you are on an uneven surface it doesn't always pick up the direction that you are traveling correctly. When I ride out in the grass ring, which has a slight slant to it, it seems to think I'm going left or right all the time, wwhen in reality I'mm going both ways. In the ring, however, it's very accurate.

I have an issue with the direction/turns too and sadly I've decided that I have to ignore the direction portion because sometimes mine says I go the same direction the entire ride, or the entire time I'm trotting or cantering (with counter canter loops so there should be a change of direction there). I know sometimes I might go slightly one direction more than the other but I also know I don't go the same direction the entire time.

Regardless I'm still finding the app helpful and wow yeah I thought I did a lot more canter too but apparently it's usually just around 5-6 minutes or so total :oops:

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:58 pm

I am still enjoying the app. I tell Em it's evidence that she can use with her attorney if she has any complaints :-) I agree that the turn summary does not seem accurate, particularly with serpentines. I find that I tend to do a lot of 4 mile rides, whether in or out of the arena, but should really up the work to more like 6 miles for at least a couple of days a week. Cantering more than 15 minutes in a ride seems to be our challenge point, but that might be my habit more than her (or even my) fitness.

Geeky useless data point: In May, we covered 65 miles!

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:16 am

Downloaded... I will be interested to try it!

Return to “Dressage Training”