Invitation List to MY Funeral

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Invitation List to MY Funeral

Postby Koolkat » Tue May 08, 2018 12:33 am

Seriously, you say it's up to him, BUT. . . . and it's national news. Good grief, have the good taste to let the man live out his last days on earth without this kind of crap. JMHO.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... spartanntp

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Invitation List to MY Funeral

Postby PaulaO » Tue May 08, 2018 2:25 pm

I think it's wonderful that Mr. McCain doesn't want Trump at his funeral. Poetic justice.

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Fri May 11, 2018 2:19 am

I would welcome any of you at my funeral, and would fully expect those of you who imbibe to do so with gusto and then say a few drunken words.

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Fri May 11, 2018 4:33 am

:lol:

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri May 11, 2018 11:42 am

My funeral will not be for me. I'll be dead. My funeral will be for anyone left who might have cared, if there is anyone, so they can decide what or how they want to do it.

Regarding McCain, I think McCain's illness has affected him. I've seen it happen in a close friend. She was a kind person, but as she came closer to death she started treating the people who were close and helping her very badly. I called her on it once and if course I was attacked for "criticizing someone who is dying". I guess if you are dying you get a pass.

I don't really understand society, it's logic, etc so I look at this and think let the man die in peace. But Otoh he keeps inserting himself into the media, so who knows

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Fri May 11, 2018 10:31 pm

He is a United States Senator, and therefore a public figure. He is also a war hero who suffered immeasurably during years of captivity in Viet Nam. He does not "insert himself into the media," whatever that means.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:49 pm

And now, Drumpf will be the ONLY major political figure - including many international allies - to not attend. And the drumpf ordered the WH flag moved to full-staff when he returned from yet another golf weekend.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:02 pm

Hatch sounds high in that artcle from May. Trump is specifically NOT a good man. Senile much?

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:19 pm

let me start by saying i do not like politicians, i think they are ego maniacal hate mongers, all of them, the thing about Trump that is hated is that he does not even try to diguise it by dressing it up as "service"

anyway, my opinion of McCain is colored by my automatic distrust of politicians. I dont care if he was once a hero, and served his country, when he hitched his ride to the political wagon, he just became another politician. but anyway, a true measure of McCain he picked Palin. listen, i understand wanting to pick a female, that was a great idea, but he basically picked a female precursor to trump. as for ego maniacal, planning your own funeral and expecting not one but two ex presidents to talk at it, I might, and just might, have rethought my opinion if he had asked his children to talk at his funeral. So there, i am the only person rude enough to speak ill of the dead.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:15 pm

Discretion
Last edited by musical comedy on Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:47 pm

:cry:

McCain wasn't God and IMO, I don't think he's being treated like one.

I am sad for his family loosing a beloved father and husband.

I'm also sad because he was a politician that had the balls to stand up to his party and POTUS. Far too many politicians play the party 'yes' game and McCain wasn't one of them. Perhaps Palin was not the best choice. At this point in time, no way to know if his future would have included POTUS if he'd selected a different running mate.

As noted in a previous reply, funerals are for the living, not for the dead. IMO, funerals and associated activities should be a place where rude behavior and commentary should be curbed in favor of silence. I highly doubt McCain's family will ever see your comments but, IMO, certainly doesn't help how you might be viewed in 'public'.

Yes, you are entitled to think as you wish and express your opinions as you wish. Discretion isn't a bad trait...

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:00 pm

I can actually see where Chisamba is coming from on this one. It IS for the living not the dead.
HOWEVER, I can easily see why McCain didn't want Trump at his funeral. Trump turns things into all about him. This funeral should be all about McCain.
As for wanting two former presidents to speak at his funeral, I assume he asked them before he decried it.

khall

Postby khall » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:49 pm

I do not see McCain as a hate monger at all. A shining moment here of his:
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing- ... d-him-arab

Class:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bss6lTP8BJ8

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:02 pm

Musical Comedy, thank you.

IMO, at the time other of his, or anyone's death, one should exercise some amount of discretion. The individual is gone and unaware but the living, the rest of us, are still here. Once the ceremony (regardless of how big or small) honoring the death is over, then, to me, the description filter can come off again :)

If you'd expressed your opinion (and I can certainly understand where it comes from) at any other time, I'd have not said a peep :)

John McCain lived a long and full life with a loving wife and family. He's acknowledged his mistakes. I read today on CNN that he will be buried next to his 'wingman' at the Naval Academy Cemetery which brought tears to my eyes. Plans had evidently been in place for years.

FWIW, if the current POTUS were to die in office, I would be discrete despite my feelings for the individual and the job he's done, such as it is. Once he (or anyone) has been buried, then fair game again to express one's opinion.

{{}}

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:09 am

I read that his daughter gave one of the eulogies. I am glad family had the opportunity.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:39 am

It seems Obama and Bush were quite honored to have been asked to speak. And his daughter did a good job of elevating her father by comparing him to Trump. These are good things.

McCain was complex and made mistakes like everyone else. Nothing is sacred. I don't agree with de-platforming people no matter what side they are on. The far left has gone off the deep end and now are as looney toons as social conservatives.

This reminds me of when Hitchens got on TV and completed blasted Falwell right after he died. He was called out on it but was unscathed because Falwell was such an odious despicable character. While that was a no-brainer, people will push back against criticizing McCain who had a history of working across the aisle. This appeals as an antidote to the rampant tribalism we have now. Defenders are allowed to pushback and people are allowed to criticize. These are just ideas. It is not yelling fire in a crowded theater or at least should not be viewed as such. Same reason why blasphemy is an imaginary crime.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:26 pm

it was his attitude to women, and in particular his wives that were horrible. He was inclined to racism too, I an not sure how he skated on all of that, He cultivated his press and he was anti trump,. i guess in modern day that makes him a saint

Angfreda
Herd Member

Postby Angfreda » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:11 am

Chisamba wrote:it was his attitude to women, and in particular his wives that were horrible. He was inclined to racism too, I an not sure how he skated on all of that, He cultivated his press and he was anti trump,. i guess in modern day that makes him a saint

Not a saint, it's just that everything is relative.
So, compared to the Orange Overlord, yes he looks way better. Enlightened even.
Take for example the whole Obama is a Muslim thing... McCain corrected a lady suggesting at a Town Hall that Obama was a Muslim and not born here... Trump? Oh boy did he chase that one down and PROVE! Obama wasn't born here! Except... yeah, did we ever see that proof his many, best investigators found?
Yeah... no

And McCain, even if he had a poor record with his TWO wives.... has a better record with women/wives than ol' 45. ;)
Meanwhile compared to some others McCain would pale.

What is sad is that we find ourselves in a position to be reaching lower for people to look up to... rather than looking up for people to look up to.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:47 pm

Angfreda wrote:What is sad is that we find ourselves in a position to be reaching lower for people to look up to... rather than looking up for people to look up to.

I know we don't always agree but on this, if I understand what you're saying is too sadly true. My personal restatement is, for me, depressing to see how often I am not voting *for* someone but rather voting *against* someone else. Not picking who I think is best for the position but rather making a choice to keep someone I don't think is the "best" :roll:

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:19 am

Chisamba wrote: but anyway, a true measure of McCain he picked Palin. listen, i understand wanting to pick a female, that was a great idea, but he basically picked a female precursor to trump.

as for ego maniacal, planning your own funeral and expecting not one but two ex presidents to talk at it, I might, and just might, have rethought my opinion if he had asked his children to talk at his funeral. So there, i am the only person rude enough to speak ill of the dead.

McCain's choice for VP was Joe Lieberman, he was overridden (and was quite circumspect after the fact about his opinion of Palin).

I thought the choice of 2 candidates for President that defeated him, one republican and one democrat, was a loud statement on bipartisanship... . .

Obama called it mischievous. . . :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GfjgRhPmaM

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”