study on how to learn skills faster

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Tsavo
Bringing Life to the DDBB

study on how to learn skills faster

Postby Tsavo » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:36 am

http://www.iflscience.com/brain/researc ... wice-fast/

“What we found is if you practice a slightly modified version of a task you want to master, you actually learn more and faster than if you just keep practicing the exact same thing multiple times in a row,” said lead researcher Pablo Celnik, from Johns Hopkins University, in a statement.

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Re: study on how to learn skills faster

Postby Dresseur » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:43 pm

Have been crazy busy at work, or would have commented sooner. I'm fascinated by how people learn. I think that this highlights why it's so important to try something different, or try something outside of your comfort zone to stretch the limits of what you know/feel. If I'm stuck on something, I exaggerate one way or another to feel something different - which is the reconsolidation idea they are talking about..

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:41 pm

Tsavo, did you read The Talent Code? (if not, it is a somewhat different perspective on effective learning/practice)

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:11 pm

No I haven't PF. I will keep it in mind.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:40 am

piedmontfields wrote:Tsavo, did you read The Talent Code? (if not, it is a somewhat different perspective on effective learning/practice)

If this cheatsheet is accurate, my take on it is that the two concepts are not mutually exclusive. http://www.kevinhabits.com/1-page-cheat ... lent-code/

I think the first concept (practicing variations on the target skill) may be similar to what positive reinforcement trainers have figured out about training plans. I used to get stuck repeatedly reinforcing a few behaviors because I was trying to increase the reinforcement history to make them stronger before I moved on. But what I was missing is that the concept of making behaviors stronger by developing a strong reinforcement history likely applies to behaviors that are on cue, rather than behaviors that are still being shaped. And even then, the way to make a behavior stronger is to put it on cue, proof it, and then put it on a variable rate of reinforcement before the subject starts thinking that a particular behavior is the one true answer rather than one of many possible answers.

So what I needed to learn to do was to move on and continue to develop the behavior until it was finished enough to put it on a cue, and then I needed to make it stronger, but not by continuing to reinforce it all the time but by putting it on a variable rate of R and then eventually into a behavior chain.

I think this all ties in with practicing variations on target behaviors, as well as with the more general "Talent Code" concept of focus and practice.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:23 pm

piedmontfields wrote:Tsavo, did you read The Talent Code? (if not, it is a somewhat different perspective on effective learning/practice)

I read it a few weeks ago. I think it's a similar idea - practice at the edge of/outside of your competence area.

I find the concepts hard to apply to riding though, at least outside of having a schoolmaster to learn on, because I'm training myself and my horse simultaneously, and her training experience takes precedence over mine. However, I do find value in doing a day of "jumping". I put that in quotes because we don't really, or barely, jump at this stage. Sometimes it's just ground poles or cones to ride through using more two-point and focusing more on moving through a course instead of the micro-management that comes with dressage practice. This improves her forward-thinking, and improves my balance and feel, and makes us both more adjustable.
Keep calm and canter on.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:41 pm

OK, I admit that I'm in the middle of this book, but my take away is that small specific practice steps need to be *highly accurate/specific* in order to build neural pathways towards excellence. To me, this is a little different than "exaggerations" or "approximations" (which I know can also be useful in learning).

Maybe since I studied music in the way distant past I was able to think of this in terms of combining note content with technique and artistry/expression. In dressage, I'd think about, for example, building each step of correct half pass (if my horse were ready for that), rather than half-passing all the way across the arena (which would just be playing the notes). I'm not sure I always agree with this in horse training, but it is interesting to consider.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:54 pm

Well just today I had an interesting teaching experience. My rider was trying a new horse. A project. Western trained trail horse. She is a dressage rider.

I rode first and warned her that she had to ride with a draped rein as anytime you took contact the horse very politely stopped.

She had several very abrupt stops. I asked what she was doing and of course she tried to take a contact. I finally yelled at her because she was being pretty unfair to the horse. Yes bad me, I admit to yelling.

My point wrt this thread is that when she rode her own horse half an hour later she was able to achieve a lightness of contact and bearing that we had struggled with to this point.

So perhaps if you experience something different, it opens you to new possibilities

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:21 pm

piedmontfields wrote:OK, I admit that I'm in the middle of this book, but my take away is that small specific practice steps need to be *highly accurate/specific* in order to build neural pathways towards excellence. To me, this is a little different than "exaggerations" or "approximations" (which I know can also be useful in learning).

Maybe since I studied music in the way distant past I was able to think of this in terms of combining note content with technique and artistry/expression. In dressage, I'd think about, for example, building each step of correct half pass (if my horse were ready for that), rather than half-passing all the way across the arena (which would just be playing the notes). I'm not sure I always agree with this in horse training, but it is interesting to consider.

Yep. Years of arpeggios and articulation studies to get to the point where you can throw down a great solo.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:50 pm

Chisamba wrote:
So perhaps if you experience something different, it opens you to new possibilities

Perfect, except for the yelling, although as a student I was never phased when I got yelled at because I was very motivated to learn, and knew the yelling was to try to get through to me, for the horse's sake. I thought of yelling as putting emphasis on what was most important.

Return to “Dressage Training”