Help me find my new horse!

KathyK
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Help me find my new horse!

Postby KathyK » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:29 pm

I’m in the market! Please help me find my new horse.

I’m a capable but older AA who rides with USDF Silver medalist and USDF certified trainer. I prefer a bit more go than whoa, but nothing ultra-powerful. I can handle a little temperament but no history of bucking, bolting, or unpredictable spooking.

Purchase budget is reasonable, mid-five figures tops. Prefer to look within a few hours’ drive of NE Ohio.

Looking for:
16 to 17hh, prefer at smaller end of that range
10 to 18 years old
Sane
At least Third level, with confirmed changes
Sound and able to pass PPE. Moderate maintenance is OK.

I don’t care about color. I’m not fond of Friesians or “Gypsy” horses, and while I would prefer a warmblood, I don’t care too much about breed.

Enablers, start your engines!

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Re: Help me find my new horse!

Postby redsoxluvr » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:47 pm

I would go on the dressage horse FB groups as what you are looking for is pretty common. Noel Williams is selling several horses that meet your criteria in Dressage Horses for your Consideration- Weanlings to GP. Below are a few.

Alfonzo (Al), 17h 2004 Hanoverian gelding, Akatschi (Akzent II x Wenzel I) x Pas Seul, schooling 2nd/3rd, been there done that, AA's dream, athletic, quick learner, $35k*

Remington, 16.3h 2003 AWSSR gelding, Innkeeper x Consul, schooling PSG, exceptionally kind, steady, easy in the contact, excellent work ethic, AA friendly, $35k*

Furnace Brook (Furb), 17.3h 2010 KWPN gelding, Farrington x Vergilius, schooling 1st/2nd, talent for FEI, quality horse ideal for pro, AA, or Jr/Yr looking to bring up the levels, $55k*

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:08 am

Thank you! Alfonzo and Furb are not far enough along in their training, and even if Furb were confirmed third level, he's way too big. Remington is a possibility.

Snork
Herd Member

Postby Snork » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:43 pm

I have a friend with several sales horses, some in Europe and some already here. She might have something suitable, let me check.

This is her FB business page: https://www.facebook.com/sportwarmbloods

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:58 pm

Thanks, Snork! I looked at the FB page -- lots of quality horses. It would be great if she has or knows of something for me.

Snork
Herd Member

Postby Snork » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:43 pm

Kathy, I sent you a PM with contact details if you'd like to get in touch - they have a 10 year old coming this weekend to Chicago area that fits your list. I don't know much more than that except that he's very pretty, competed well in Europe at M level (3rd/4th) and expected to pass vetting. Image

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:54 am

My only suggestion to save time and travel money (and heartache) is to pre-vet before you try if the horse for sale does not have a current set of x-rays. Many horses in that price range do...but alas, many do not.

Have fun shopping!!

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:04 pm

Snork wrote:Kathy, I sent you a PM with contact details if you'd like to get in touch - they have a 10 year old coming this weekend to Chicago area that fits your list. I don't know much more than that except that he's very pretty, competed well in Europe at M level (3rd/4th) and expected to pass vetting. Image

We are in touch, and may go look at this horse soon!

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:08 pm

Hurray! Hope it works out-- that guy is a looker!

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:33 pm

The video is impressive, too! I can't believe how lucky I am to be even considering a horse like this.

Sunshine2Me
Herd Member

Postby Sunshine2Me » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:44 pm

I have a friend with sporthorses as well. I'm not sure what she currently has, but here is her page:

https://www.facebook.com/windmillfarmssporthorses/

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:14 pm

Sunshine2Me wrote:I have a friend with sporthorses as well. I'm not sure what she currently has, but here is her page:

https://www.facebook.com/windmillfarmssporthorses/

OMG those babies! It looks like she has only two for sale -- both fabulous, but too young and too big. But those babies!

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:28 am

So, the horse in the photos was sold before he even got out of quarantine!

This past weekend Janet Foy told me about a great possibility. I've seen videos and contacted the owner, and may be going to see him next weekend. He's s little north of Boston. In the meantime, I hope the virtual shoppers here will keep at it for me.

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:46 pm

Further of a drive than you're looking for, but the barn I work at has 3 exceptional horses for sale at the moment. I handle all 3 of these horses on a weekly basis and would be happy to chat about their personalities/etc. The mares are a bit younger than what you're looking for but I'm including them as I think they're worth considering. Diego is owned by the apprentice at the barn, originally from the UK he is leaving in a couple months to start his apprenticeship with Rudolf Zeilinger. I don't have any sales pictures of Diego, but I have some goofy ones in my phone from around the barn. Fanfare is a German import they brought in a couple years ago who has had consistent professional training since then. I can get you in touch with their respective owners for more information as well. They haven't listed them much yet. Fresca is younger than you want, and also not the level you want but I cant not include her. She's the smallest of the 3 with jaw dropping movement IMO

Landers Farms HorsesFor Sale
Diego-
17.0 hh, 10yro, Hanoverian (Don Crusador x Cordoba) 3rd level, gelding , shown in the U.K.

Fanfare
16.1 hh, 7 year old Hanoverian ( Fidertanz x, Belissimo,) solid second level working on flying lead changes
fanfare.jpg
fanfare.jpg (54.83 KiB) Viewed 14728 times

Fresca,
16.1 8 year old mare, Fidertanz. Solid first level highly talented https://www.warmblood-sales.com/SearchResult5.asp?Name=Fresca
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams, live the life you've imagined!

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:20 pm

I have fallen hopelessly in love with Fanfare. If she were farther along in her training I might consider her. Alas, I will have to worship her from afar.

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:22 pm

KathyK wrote:I have fallen hopelessly in love with Fanfare. If she were farther along in her training I might consider her. Alas, I will have to worship her from afar.

As all of use have as well, you'd fall even further in love if you met her. She is seriously one of the sweetest horses who just LOVES being doted on. Whoever ends up with her will be insanely lucky, I'll miss her a lot.
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams, live the life you've imagined!

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:27 pm

Sending you a pm :)

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:01 pm

KathyK wrote:I have fallen hopelessly in love with Fanfare. If she were farther along in her training I might consider her. Alas, I will have to worship her from afar.

She's 50k. If she was solid 3rd level, the price would jump significantly. The is what you have to pay for horses of this quality. So, if you are finding nice 3rd level+ horses for under 50k, grab them up quick, because they won't last long.

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:35 pm

I'm not necessarily looking for under $50K.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:49 pm

when you say third level, can i safely assume you want flying changes "fully installed?"

i was looking for fun, and so many supposed third level horses advertised are " flying changes in their near future" which to me is false advertising.

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:21 pm

You are correct, Marion! I learned quickly that when cruising the sales websites, I have to specify 4th level in order to get a third level horse, lol.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:14 pm

KathyK wrote:I'm not necessarily looking for under $50K.
I never thought you were. I had in mind some comments from others here that think you can get confirmed nice 2nd level horses for 20k.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:16 pm

Chisamba wrote:when you say third level, can i safely assume you want flying changes "fully installed?"
i was looking for fun, and so many supposed third level horses advertised are " flying changes in their near future" which to me is false advertising.
True. Same goes with 'schooling PSG'. So many (even most) of the horses advertised, you look at the videos and they do not show all the movements required or the level they say they are. They need to show a test.

Josette

Postby Josette » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:43 pm

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:43 pm

Oh yes, I "favorited" that one last night! I have to wait until after my trainer is done showing this weekend to have her look at him. You are definitely on the right wavelength. :D

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”