More horse shopping, anyone? (Tsavo?)

piedmontfields
Bringing Life to the DDBB

More horse shopping, anyone? (Tsavo?)

Postby piedmontfields » Wed May 30, 2018 4:12 pm

Since Ponichiwa has encouraged us to horse shop, I would now like to extend this to others....like Tsavo!

Look at the stunning color on this Han x TB x Clydesdale gelding:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsJpmjh ... e=youtu.be

STEEL MY HEART aka Trevor - 2013 Warmblood Gelding 16.3h Grullo (with primitive markings and dorsal stripe) Registered PHR (Performance Horse Registry) Back to work this spring - Super mind -Training Level Dressage, Jumping small courses, Loves hacking out alone or in company. Eazy Peezy with all things - trailers, clipping, vacuums - no vices etc., Clean X-Rays - Twenty thousand
Located in Clinton Corners, NY
Approx. 1 hr south of Albany
Sara Love 914-489-1162

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Re: More horse shopping, anyone? (Tsavo?)

Postby Ponichiwa » Wed May 30, 2018 4:20 pm

Yesssss. 100% support this behavior.

Also saw this Clyde/TB mare (Ottawa, $7k):
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Dressag ... 463231508/

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Wed May 30, 2018 4:38 pm

Trevor is a very nice horse. I must be out of the loop though, cuz I think $20K is a bit high for what he is now doing. Do you think his color is a factor? Not being snarky.

Josette

Postby Josette » Wed May 30, 2018 6:35 pm

I think fair price for sane horse, super mind and attractive color with clean x-rays. Check out prices on warmbloods sale site and be prepared to wet your panties on some of the prices. :lol:

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Wed May 30, 2018 7:11 pm

My opinion is that you get what you pay for most of the time. There are few bargains and hidden diamonds out there anymore. People know what they have.

Piedmont, I know someone that inquired about Trevor. It has some 'issue' with his hooves.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Wed May 30, 2018 9:07 pm

MC, it's a small world.

I agree that a nice looking, young horse with basic training is not necessarily a cheap thing, especially if marketed to "sport horse" buyers.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Wed May 30, 2018 10:58 pm

If I were younger and a better rider, I'd grab this one. Dutch Harness Cross Filly Yearling.
Attachments
DHH.jpg
DHH.jpg (205.75 KiB) Viewed 23353 times

demi

Postby demi » Wed May 30, 2018 11:03 pm

musical comedy wrote:If I were younger and a better rider, I'd grab this one. Dutch Harness Cross Filly Yearling.

Be still my heart ❤️

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Thu May 31, 2018 1:01 am

Thanks piedmont but I am presently out of the market. And when I get back into the market in the next few years (or sooner), I will be holding out for a mare barring extraordinary circumstances (i.e., a perfect draft cross gelding and I mean perfect).

Bip
Herd Member

Postby Bip » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:17 am

I wonder why Steel My Heart is still for sale (or for sale again?) He was on the market when I was looking last summer, but I didn’t end up getting out to see him because I couldn’t justify going so far for just one horse.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:47 am

Bip wrote:I wonder why Steel My Heart is still for sale (or for sale again?) He was on the market when I was looking last summer, but I didn’t end up getting out to see him because I couldn’t justify going so far for just one horse.

Another person is representing him. Maybe she bought him or maybe it is the owner. The original ad had the trainer representing him.

There were 6 horses like him that the owner bred or acquired and the other 5 sold. He is the last one of that group.

I have never seen a dappled grullo before. It is beyond remarkable.

acheyarcher
Herd Member

Postby acheyarcher » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:38 am

well I will be the dissenting voice

Trevor is waaaaay overpriced

I see a pudgy flat moving barely training level horse who appears to have a bit of a sour attitude, reading his ears. the rider is really doing a lot of hand work to work him ( spread hands uneven) and that downward walk transition is really telling, he is being ridden backward

This horses forward appears dead. A little better in the jump but he still has no jump forward seeking.

Overall I think he has been ridden backward and will take some retraining to get some forward. They have highlighted his clyde breeding and that thick underneck shows in the jumping

he is cute has a nice conformation type, could loose a pound or 100.

The color is stunning and unique but in the end, you don't ride and train the color. If the color is worth paying a premium for that is fine, but for 20000 I expect the horse to show me he is capable to get to PSG with training. I dont see that here. My last horse was a ranch QH purchased for 4000 and was training tempe 3s and canter P when I sold him

I like the little dutch filly and would love to see here again in 1 yea. The other clyde x has more forward but is unfortunately down and rolled behind in the picture which sort of tells e the owner doesn't know or have correct

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:52 am

In re Trevor, that is either the owner or a different trainer. In the original videos from last August, he was being ridden by a dressage trainer. He was not as pudgy in that video and was working very nicely.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:40 am

musical comedy wrote:My opinion is that you get what you pay for most of the time. There are few bargains and hidden diamonds out there anymore. People know what they have.

Piedmont, I know someone that inquired about Trevor. It has some 'issue' with his hooves.

So interesting. My first though was heavy horse for the size of his feet.

Josette

Postby Josette » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:13 am

That impression crossed my mind too.

Bip
Herd Member

Postby Bip » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:22 pm

acheyarcher wrote:
but for 20000 I expect the horse to show me he is capable to get to PSG with training. I dont see that here. My last horse was a ranch QH purchased for 4000 and was training tempe 3s and canter P when I sold him

Wow, what part of the country? Because here (more or less where Trevor is) $20k might get you a horse capable of 2nd level, if we are talking ammy-friendly. You can do better if you can accept more shenanigans temperament-wise.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:38 pm

He was priced at $18K in the summer I believe. The original videos show a horse is is potentially worth that absent a PPE or whatever else.

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:41 pm

acheyarcher wrote:well I will be the dissenting voice

Trevor is waaaaay overpriced

I see a pudgy flat moving barely training level horse who appears to have a bit of a sour attitude, reading his ears. the rider is really doing a lot of hand work to work him ( spread hands uneven) and that downward walk transition is really telling, he is being ridden backward.
This horses forward appears dead. A little better in the jump but he still has no jump forward seeking

he is cute has a nice conformation type, could loose a pound or 100.

The color is stunning and unique but in the end, you don't ride and train the color. If the color is worth paying a premium for that is fine, but for 20000 I expect the horse to show me he is capable to get to PSG with training. I dont see that here. My last horse was a ranch QH purchased for 4000 and was training tempe 3s and canter P when I sold him

I agree, this horse is not worth 20k. He is very long in the body for his length of leg, and he is only going to get heavier. If he is quiet and sound, maybe 10k. Pretty is as pretty does, and IMO the horse is not worth 20K.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:13 pm

Training third half arab son of a PMU mare... CHUNKY MONKEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRLmJb2 ... e=youtu.be

At some point, a mare like this is going to appear and I am going to have two horses I fear.

acheyarcher
Herd Member

Postby acheyarcher » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:45 pm

Summervale always has nice horses.

He is compact, that is a fact.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:26 pm

acheyarcher wrote:Summervale always has nice horses.

The density of that horse approaches that of a neutron star.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:33 pm

Tsavo wrote:Training third half arab son of a PMU mare... CHUNKY MONKEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRLmJb2 ... e=youtu.be

At some point, a mare like this is going to appear and I am going to have two horses I fear.
I like! Sadly, my new monkey is even chunkier. I worry a lot about it. I keep getting these easy keepers.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:35 pm

redsoxluvr wrote:I agree, this horse is not worth 20k. He is very long in the body for his length of leg, and he is only going to get heavier. If he is quiet and sound, maybe 10k. Pretty is as pretty does, and IMO the horse is not worth 20K.
I don't know what he's worth, but there have been conformation experts that claim that the shorter limbs are advantagous for collection.

But again, I think of 20k as chump change for a horse.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:33 pm

Hey! Based on the earlier videos, assuming he passes a PPE, that grullo is definitely worth at least $15K. The extra scratch is for color.

Don't make me come over there. Lol

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:52 pm

I would price Trevor at $15000, he is only five years old. Just a baby. The only thing I would worry about is his feet, hopefully, they get some size to them. And, as with most sales ads, the seller generally prices the horse a little higher than its worth, so that negotiations get them the price they actually want.

I've had people tell me my Canadians are still fat when they are fit. Unfortunately, these types of drafty horses will always have size to them and it something to remember when you develop their feeding programs. They need food. They won't thrive on something a smaller horse may need. Bigger horses (some, not all) need bigger calories.

Just my little 2 cents.

PS = I really like Trevor.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:00 pm

That's true Tuddy. I think one of the ads said that Trevor didn't work during the winter. They have no indoor. So he is understandably still green.

About judging conformation from video. Be careful. I have seen it distorted. Take a look at this stallion. He is not as long as shown in the video. All the horses in the hack looked extremely long. It's the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... LbuCRTlQU4

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:33 pm

First, the only thing "long" about the grullo is the list of people liking him on FB.

Second, I am not sure he has "small" feet. They are matched for sure... no differences up front. He is in clips and maybe if it was out of shoes his feet would be bigger.

Third, I have been told draft crosses can carry extra weight and not be considered overweight. I was told that about my horse. Without commenting on that, let's just say my horse is capable of being less than a 7 and in fact looks fine at a 6 where he is now. My horse is lighter than the grullo though because he is 3/4 TB. I think the grullo is half draft but I could be wrong.

Fourth, I seriously doubt anyone would question $15k if they saw the earlier video.

I'm losing patience with you people!

Xanthoria
Herd Member

Postby Xanthoria » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:20 pm

Tsavo wrote:The density of that horse approaches that of a neutron star.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:49 am

musical comedy wrote:
redsoxluvr wrote:I agree, this horse is not worth 20k. He is very long in the body for his length of leg, and he is only going to get heavier. If he is quiet and sound, maybe 10k. Pretty is as pretty does, and IMO the horse is not worth 20K.
I don't know what he's worth, but there have been conformation experts that claim that the shorter limbs are advantagous for collection.

But again, I think of 20k as chump change for a horse.

IME, draft crosses really bulk up between the ages of 6-8. This is going to end up being a pretty heavy horse when it is all said and done.
I personally could care less what color he is and wouldn't pay a premium for it. 20K may be chump change to you, but I can get a decent, young-ish WB horse going solid 2nd level for that price.

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:30 pm

Tsavo wrote:
acheyarcher wrote:Summervale always has nice horses.

The density of that horse approaches that of a neutron star.

:lol:

I do like how this horse is ridden.

Put me in the "Trevor is overpriced" column.

Xanthoria
Herd Member

Postby Xanthoria » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:32 pm

Agree - half that would be a good price unless training is excellent.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:53 pm

redsoxluvr wrote: 20K may be chump change to you, but I can get a decent, young-ish WB horse going solid 2nd level for that price.
Ok, I challenge you to show me some. I look for something a little more than 'decent'. I always :roll: on the internet when posters say they can get nice horses cheap. I wonder why they don't own any then.

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:38 pm

I know a few people who have scored a really nice warmblood in the 7-9 age range, schooling or showing 2nd, for under $25 K CAD. But those were exceptional circumstances - divorce forcing quick sales.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:05 pm

Rosie B wrote:I know a few people who have scored a really nice warmblood in the 7-9 age range, schooling or showing 2nd, for under $25 K CAD. But those were exceptional circumstances - divorce forcing quick sales.

That's what I've seen. I've certainly looked to see what it would cost to buy a 4-6 year old comparable to Pickle, ammy-friendly and going well under saddle. The answer is usually $25-30K. I've maybe seen some "decent" WBs for less, but in most cases they seem to have a WB Premium tacked on to their price, and aren't better than a nice TB or cross. This all assumes soundness, no maintenance issues or cribbing, etc.
Keep calm and canter on.

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:51 pm

musical comedy wrote:
redsoxluvr wrote: 20K may be chump change to you, but I can get a decent, young-ish WB horse going solid 2nd level for that price.
Ok, I challenge you to show me some. I look for something a little more than 'decent'. I always :roll: on the internet when posters say they can get nice horses cheap. I wonder why they don't own any then.

I own 2, actually. Neither are for sale.

As far as horses for sale currently, I personally know of a 16.2H 5yo Tatendrang mare in Florida for 15K that is well started, a 14YO Oldenburg gelding by Alla Czar that is solid second, schooling third for 10K, plus a few others. Just go on any of the FB dressage horses for sale pages and have at it.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:17 pm

redsoxluvr wrote:
musical comedy wrote:

I own 2, actually. Neither are for sale.

As far as horses for sale currently, I personally know of a 16.2H 5yo Tatendrang mare in Florida for 15K that is well started, a 14YO Oldenburg gelding by Alla Czar that is solid second, schooling third for 10K, plus a few others. Just go on any of the FB dressage horses for sale pages and have at it.

You claimed you could get a 'decent' 'youngish' WB going SOLID 2nd level for 20k. Again, let me see some of them. I've been on all the FB and other sites. It took me a long time to find my current horse. I am quite aware of what you can get for various amount.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:18 pm

Tsavo, have you seen this one? I'd be interested if she were closer: https://www.dreamhorse.com/ad/2113419.html
Keep calm and canter on.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:36 pm

StraightForward wrote:Tsavo, have you seen this one? I'd be interested if she were closer: https://www.dreamhorse.com/ad/2113419.html

Thanks SF and no I haven't really been looking. I am out of the market rehabbing my horse.

I will just say that if that horse is 17 HH that person off the right side of the picture must be quite tall. When I first looked at the picture I thought is was a hony.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:42 pm

StraightForward wrote:Tsavo, have you seen this one? I'd be interested if she were closer: https://www.dreamhorse.com/ad/2113419.html

I like her too! Nice smooth topline.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:44 pm

musical comedy wrote:

She is cleverly posed and photographed, if you really look at her, her hind quarter is posed about 18 inches closer to the camera than the front end, and the hind legs are placed quite far apart, the cameral is then aimed at the middle of the ribs, this gives the topline a smooth appearance, i bet if she were square and straight she would look very angular behind and quite downhill.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:02 pm

My horse was very angular when I bought him despite being shown second and training third. I didn't like that look. He filled out with fat and muscle.

I am back to riding him 5 days a week and will be adding a sixth day just because he is improving with more work and it makes me a little greedy for even more. He has no angle at all and is not fat for once.
Last edited by Tsavo on Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:04 pm

The black draft cross is nice but I am pretty sure she is downhill as Chisamba surmises also.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:15 pm

Tsavo wrote:The black draft cross is nice but I am pretty sure she is downhill as Chisamba surmises also.
Well, there is downhill and there is DOWNHILL. I'm sure you all would find my old hanoverian downhill, but he was an 'approved' Hanoverian stallion. I'm not knowledgeable on clever photography so it is possible the shot makes the mare look better than what she is. Still, I doubt she is signficantly downhill or 'angular'. I not even sure what is meant by that term. Maybe you all don't know what I mean by 'smooth' topline either. In any case, I still think the mare is nice for the measley price of 8k. She is just coming 3 and her breed matures late. I don't even know what I am defending this horse that isn't even mine. I guess because if one of the members here put up that photo saying it was their horse, comments would be 'oh, she's lovely'.

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:10 pm

Chisamba wrote:
musical comedy wrote:

She is cleverly posed and photographed, if you really look at her, her hind quarter is posed about 18 inches closer to the camera than the front end, and the hind legs are placed quite far apart, the cameral is then aimed at the middle of the ribs, this gives the topline a smooth appearance, i bet if she were square and straight she would look very angular behind and quite downhill.

Good catch on the angle (which might not be intentional). I found her hindquarters a bit "drafty", but the first thing I noticed was her beautifully set on neck and throatlatch/poll area. It does seem a smidge on the short side vs. the size of her head (with very kind face) and the rest of her body. I came away from the picture with the impression that I was looking at a just turned 3 year old who was in the process of outgrowing an awkward phase (not quite there yet). It would be nice to see her in motion, it's a good price if she has good balance and reasonable movement. She's big and on her way to bigger. Some of the class in her breeding shines through here.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:27 pm

musical comedy wrote:
Tsavo wrote:The black draft cross is nice but I am pretty sure she is downhill as Chisamba surmises also.
Well, there is downhill and there is DOWNHILL. I'm sure you all would find my old hanoverian downhill, but he was an 'approved' Hanoverian stallion. I'm not knowledgeable on clever photography so it is possible the shot makes the mare look better than what she is. Still, I doubt she is signficantly downhill or 'angular'. I not even sure what is meant by that term. Maybe you all don't know what I mean by 'smooth' topline either. In any case, I still think the mare is nice for the measley price of 8k. She is just coming 3 and her breed matures late. I don't even know what I am defending this horse that isn't even mine. I guess because if one of the members here put up that photo saying it was their horse, comments would be 'oh, she's lovely'.

Haha, yeah... I still think she is quite nice for a lightly backed three year old at that price. She might currently be smaller with 17H being her expected finished height, the ad doesn't' say. If her haunches are closer to the camera it seems that would make her look more downhill with the hind leg appearing longer, rather than the other way around?

I think when Chisamba says "Angular" she means a peaked croup that is characteristic of so many draft horses. When Tsavo says it, I think she is referring to a horse that is less filled-out looking. But Tsavo is not looking, and this mare is 2,000 miles away from me, so I suppose it doesn't matter one bit.
Keep calm and canter on.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:29 pm

On the subject of how a photo can be deceiving, take a look at these two shots. Which one is a true representation?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... ater&ifg=1

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:47 pm

musical comedy wrote:On the subject of how a photo can be deceiving, take a look at these two shots. Which one is a true representation?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... ater&ifg=1

The second one is correct. The horse is parked out a bit in the first.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:55 pm

Yes, I meant peaked draft croup.

I've seen the pose used on purpose so many times to smooth a topline I'm feel sure it was done on purpose.

If some one was posting it as a picture of their horse I would certainly say it was lovely and mean it. But if I was looking at the picture as a potential to buy, I'd be more critical. In that case I would say more draft than warmblood and suggest you see video before traveling .

I'm not getting in the fight over "good horses" and their prices.

By the way, the DHH filly photos earlier in the thread is taken the same way. Split hind leg, shoulder higher, camera angle taken to flatten

The pose comes from the trotting industry.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”