Ariel is rubbing her tail

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Ariel is rubbing her tail

Postby PaulaO » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:17 pm

I noticed a spot last night at the top of her tail. It is hairless and dry. As I was standing outside her stall, she started rubbing her tail on her salt block. :roll: I bought MTG this morning and will do a check of under her tail (butt and lady parts). Should I wash the tail before I put the MTG on it?

heddylamar

Re: Ariel is rubbing her tail

Postby heddylamar » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:51 pm

I would wash well, and let it dry before applying the MTG. Give her a dose of ivermectin/pyrantel too in case it's pinworms.

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:27 pm

This happens to my Canadians yearly. I deworm with ivermectin, yet seem to have problem year after year. I've decided to treat my guys with Alpha Omega Para-X and will see if that helps. I would do as heddylamar suggests and wash the tail thoroughly and let it dry before adding MTG.

https://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news/pi ... ses-516403

I found this article quite interesting.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:18 am

She was wormed in May with ivermectin and got another dose tonight. Tail and lady parts are clean. I put MTG on the spot. I learned that she does not like worming, and the trick is to wrap her head to the side, like giving her a big hug.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:59 am

Pickle broke out in hives really badly, though they didn't seem to bother her. Another horse at the barn had this problem, and the owner has it on spirulina, so we tried it on her. The hives went away almost completely within 24 hours.

So last week a lot of the horses at the barn were itchy, but Annabelle had it the worst and I was sure she was going to rub her mane right out. I washed her with a lidocane dog shampoo I had laying around, rinsed with apple cider vinegar (diluted) and then rubbed a concoction of aloe gel, jojoba, tea tree and lavender oils into her mane and dock. We then put her on spirulina as well since I had some leftover, and she has stopped itching. I'm going to keep her on the spirulina for a few more weeks, until the current bag is gone, and then see what happens. Nuts.com has it for $10.99 a pound, and the daily amount is about 2 TBSP, so probably 50c a day. I can't say conclusively that it stopped Annabelle's itching since I brought out the big guns and tried everything I could think of with a show looming, but given the success with Pickle's hives, I think there is a good chance that it had a big part in arresting her itchiness.
Keep calm and canter on.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:44 pm

I never had much success with the MGT and OMG it stinks!

Deworming will probably help - I'd give her tail a really good cleaning, condition the upper and under side of the dock. I used a human sea salt product to get the loose dander out, shampooed, conditioned and then would apply a non-silicone conditioner every couple of days to just that dry area. Something with tea tree could also help.

Some people spray with Listerine/Water that worked ok too.

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:48 pm

How is Ariel doing? My one horse literally has no tail left. :cry:

Return to “Veterinary, Nutrition, Grooming & Farrier Questions”