How does your garden grow?

StraightForward
Bringing Life to the DDBB

How does your garden grow?

Postby StraightForward » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:41 am

Who's been up to some gardening this summer?

I've been a little behind due to work obligations and staying busy with horses, but still have a decent garden in. 12 tomato plants, about 70 peppers (mostly green chiles), raspberries, cabbages, carrots, beans, eggplant, okra, onions, leeks, potatoes, chard, collards, melons, squash and a patch of corn that probably won't amount to anything. I harvested my first cabbage tonight and the chickens enjoyed getting the outer leaves in exchange for a nice dozen eggs. I don't plant sunflowers anymore, just weed them out of the areas where I don't want them. In a few weeks I'll try starting some fall crops indoors as I'll have some space for planting.

Keep calm and canter on.

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Re: How does your garden grow?

Postby Rockabilly » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:47 pm

My garden doesn't grow because I don't have one, but my Amish neighbors do and I have been getting wonderful vegetables for a few weeks now. I have gotten blueberries, squash, onions, broccoli, Kennebec potatoes, tomatoes, corn. lettuce.cucumbers, beets, carrots and I probably left some things out. I have been a cooking and baking fool making lemon blueberry pound cake, strawberry and peach preserves, dill pickles, bread and butter pickles and we've had fresh vegetables for dinner every night. I love this time of year.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:08 pm

Nothing as extensive or as pretty as yours! I've got greens (kale, chard, collards, lettuce), jalapeños, tomatoes, cilantro, marjoram, mint, thyme, and I re-planted basil for the third time. Something's snacking on the basil :(

ImageImage

Abby Kogler
Herd Member

Postby Abby Kogler » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:58 pm

Wow SF! I am impressed!

My garden is doing great and is beautiful, but I only have 9 tomatoes, 6 bell peppers, 6 cucumbers, one yellow squash, and two eggplants. Oh, and blue, black, rasp, and strawberries. I tried brussel sprouts again but this will be my last year. We are just too hot I think. I will try them as a fall crop.

Will take some pics of my daily haul. We lost two hens to a new coyotes in the neighborhood, the bastard. Four now, so four eggs a day. I was right there, he/shethey came right over the six ft fence, I was ten feet away. Boom. Hit and chased them with the durafork. I had left the dogs in the house due to the heat. Poor henny pennys.

Thanks for sharing your beautiful haul!

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:20 pm

I've been working with a container/potted garden this summer. In retrospect I probably shouldn't have even tried, as I haven't been able to do much with what I've gotten because of my schedule. It's been fun anyway though, and I'm learning a lot of do's and dont's for next year when I'll have more time! I planted 70-80 bean plants, peas, zucchini, squash, cucumbers, asparagus, lots of different types of peppers, cucuzza squash, broccoli, carrots, and several herbs. I'm hoping to get enough cucumbers from my 5 cucumber plants to make some cinnamon pickles!
Attachments
Plants.jpg
Plants.jpg (143.25 KiB) Viewed 7540 times
Zucchini.jpg
Zucchini.jpg (126.42 KiB) Viewed 7540 times
Cucumber.jpg
Cucumber.jpg (71.65 KiB) Viewed 7540 times
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams, live the life you've imagined!

Flight

Postby Flight » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:47 pm

Thats a nice haul SF (and everyone else). The new place I am in has veggie gardens, this motivates me to 'do something' with them.

khall

Postby khall » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:20 am

SF nice!! Phoenix I love that you are using the fence for your beans! Great idea!

Mine not so well. I don't understand either. I have 3 tomato plants that are doing OK, grape tomatoes better than the larger ones, my zucchini plant looks good but is barely producing (they usually put out more than one family can handle!) my yellow squash has not really done much, planted two and neither are growing. My cumber (one planted, two volunteer) has so far produced one weirdly shaped cucumber. Bell pepper has one wonky pepper on it. And I tried so hard this year! Great black dirt, weed control fabric down and then mulched it. I have wanted the raised beds like SF but have not gotten there yet. A friend tried the wheat straw garden last year and really liked it. Maybe I should try that next year. I know the heat is hard on plants but I really love fresh tomatoes! Dang it.

I don't do herbs anymore, bugs love them too much.

BTW what is your favorite tomato containers/cages? I need something better than what I have.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:52 am

I have an impressive pot of basil on my kitchen counter. Otherwise, I have rampant cows, deer, moose. elk, porcupines and racoons and a roughly 10 week growing season. Attempting a garden is an exercise in futility and frustration. I miss it.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:23 am

I planted quite a few veggies, but the bunnies and woodchucks have been helping themselves to quite a bit of it. I did get some strawberries before the chipmunks found them, but will have to put a strand of electric around them next year. The chipmunks haven't gotten into the peas yet, though. I have fencing to foil the woodchucks and bunnies in the other garden, but haven't gotten it up yet because I'm at my mother's so much. Although I did finally realize that she is willing to get in the car and go places now, so our next field trip is going to be to my house to watch me put up the fence around the garden.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:17 pm

I love seeing everyone's gardens.

Phoenix, like you said you're learning a lot for when you have more time, and it looks pretty successful too.

Moutaineer, I hear you on the growing season. I occasionally think about moving more into the mountains, and then realize that gardening really wouldn't be a thing. About the only thing we can't grow in Boise is citrus - otherwise it's a gardener's paradise, just add water.

Heddy, I love the bucket garden. I'm also really envying your fence!

khall wrote:BTW what is your favorite tomato containers/cages? I need something better than what I have.

Mine are made of concrete remesh wire, which is wire mesh with like 6" openings, so it's easy to reach through. They are 6' tall and 2' diameter so they contain large unruly indeterminates. They can also be unhooked and nested together for storage which is handy. I bought a 150' roll of the remesh so I have almost 20 cages (it also makes great trellis if you don't want that many cages, or there is 5' tall sold in smaller pieces). You can see one in the foreground of my second photo. I zip tie them together for stability and then stake the corners with a piece of rebar. I call it my "Tomato Fortress". :D

My tomato plants seem kind of small for this time of year. I started them a little late, but they should have taken off more by now. I did spy the first almost-ripe grape tomato yesterday (grappa d'invierno).
Keep calm and canter on.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:36 pm

I'm getting a few cherry tomatoes from a potted plant that overwintered in the house. I got a couple dozen off it during the winter, but then it died back and had to regrow when I put it outside in the spring.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”