Spurs!

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
HafDressage
Herd Member

Spurs!

Postby HafDressage » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:28 am

So I'm looking into a new pair of spurts and there are SO MANY OPTIONS. SO I'm kind of at a loss as to what to order.

Short/long, rowls/no rowls, spiked/smooth, sideways/normal, swan neck/straight neck.

So, what spurs do you guys use and why?

Josette
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Spurs!

Postby Josette » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:11 am

I would think the sensitivity of your horse is an important consideration. What is your objective with the spurs in terms of what type of reaction and response are you looking to get? I seldom ride in spurs and prefer to get my guy to respond to my leg and seat aids. I would hope a rider using spurs has good control of their lower legs. That they do not use the spurs constantly or unknowingly keep bumping the horse with them. I suppose I went off topic with my response.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:23 am

The shape of your horse and leg matter.

Round horse and long leg might need a neck on the spur. Short leg may do better with a short spur.

Try have some one photo your keg in it's natural position

khall

Postby khall » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:38 am

I have just a rounded medium length spur. Just started wearing them on advice of trainer and am so happy I did! Has made my horse way easier for me to ride especially in the lateral work. He is a big horse with wider barrel.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:33 am

Personally, I like the Balkenol spurs. They are heavy enough that you can feel them on your boots and know where they are and what you are doing with them.

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:24 pm

I use plain old spurs - usually a longer neck so that I don't have to move my leg out of position to use it.
These are the ones that I use. I personally don't like ones with extra knobs etc on the end. https://www.smartpakequine.com/pt/stubb ... purs-15154

On Willie, I used a pair of disk rowels, https://www.smartpakequine.com/pt/disc-rowel-spurs-2145
He responded a bit better to the moving disk. I expect that if he hadn't been taught to ignore the leg for his whole career, he would have responded just fine to a regular spur.

Return to “Dressage Training”