Buttocks "bumps" / posterior pustules, management

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Buttocks "bumps" / posterior pustules, management

Postby Chisamba » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:51 pm

Am i the only horse person that suffers break outs on the bum , especially or more so in the summer, but its a year round thing. basically they look like pimples, or if i manage to crane my neck around and look in a mirror that is what they seem to look like, get white heads, are tender, and definitely seem to form in a rash
like shape on areas of high pressure.I long ago stopped having acne on the face or back or any of the areas that I used to struggle with so its not really a hormonal thing

if anyone else gets anything like this, i would love some advice,

so, do you have a favorite fabric for underwear,

do you have a favorite product to help clear them?

i have tried a few things, a few that are traditionally face treatments and some that are basically diaper rash treatments. Just wondered if anyone had a miracle cure

Abby Kogler
Herd Member

Re: Buttocks "bumps" / posterior pustules, management

Postby Abby Kogler » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:07 pm

No, not really, but I certainly have preferences for panties >;-> Cotton cotton and cotton. I actually like and often ride in Jurgens underwear...I don't know if its a Euro thing or what but he doesn't wear boxers, he wears little panty speedo things. He has some that don't even have a flap, they are so low that he just drops them and pees. They are wider in the crotch than any of my girl panties, sturdy thick soft cotton. I have been so out of shape and have bonked my crotch and these panties are really comfortable and protective.

Im sure he would love knowing that I am writing about his underwear here, ha!

You might try them.

As for your bumps, I can only suggest baking soda baths after riding or ? I would say maybe the humidity doesn't help but you are somewhat going from frying pan to fire in that regard >;->

khall

Postby khall » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:14 pm

I get heat rash and rubs from sweating so much. I have occasionally gotten something similar (the bumps) but not very often. No idea why. Painful, yes. Hot pack is what I do for the bumps. A and D diaper rash for heat rash and no underwear overnight. Wicking material for riding breeches, no particular underwear though I sometimes wonder if the boy short ones would work better. Never tried them.

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:17 pm

You might pick out a "test spot" and try some over the counter hydrocortisone cream on it for a few days to see if it is immunologically related. Cortisone will shut it down if it is. Sweat/rubbing exacerbates those reactions, I deal with issues all the time where backpack/straps rub.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:57 pm

From experience with my husband's lumpy self who tends toward staph or skin fungus, I'd start by visiting a dermatologist.

But, based on the rash-like description, have you ever tried something like body glide? I get chapped almost pimpled skin when it's really humid on the bottom band of my sports bra (fortunately no longer between the boobs — yay reduction!) and occasionally on my backside. And when you're done riding for the day, shower, dry and apply baking soda or baby powder.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:58 pm

khall wrote:I sometimes wonder if the boy short ones would work better. Never tried them.

The boy shorts work great for riding, but still get soaked like everything else. They're not so great running ... but I really should just not bother with undies then :roll:

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:04 am

I skipped riding yesterday for the first time in a long time and they cleared dramatically, so its definitely the riding friction.

I'm going to try cotton underwear change underwear between horses if very hot, and put on clean undies and shorts for evening chores after riding to "air out"

Josette

Postby Josette » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:46 pm

Changing may make a significant difference you. I get out of my wet clothes immediately after my ride - even my breeches are wet. I also wear breeches once per ride and wash. The same applies for my saddle pad. It does not dry out enough between rides and is too dirty for my preference.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:36 pm

Tommy John advertises insta-dry cotton undies for ladies these days. Maybe that would help?

gee
Greenie

Postby gee » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:44 pm

goldhorse
Herd Member

Postby goldhorse » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:18 am

This is counter-intuitive but I've switched completely to these even though they are synthetic. They do come in other styles like boy shorts.
https://www.rei.com/product/125243/pata ... ear-womens
They never get drenched and they have no seams to rub at "those parts". I know they're expensive but they last forever and are great for traveling. Quick sink wash and they're dry in an hour or two.

Otherwise, my advice is to use an anti-bacterial soap like Dial and lots of air time. I would use Hibiclens but it's not supposed to be used near one's private parts so I can't recommend it even though I would use it. Maybe try a little Differin or topical antibiotic ointment?

Baroque
Herd Member

Postby Baroque » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:41 am

Thunderpants. I have them specially made with no seams in the crotch area for sitting trot.. :lol:
And Vaseline as a preventative for the sweat rash. ;)

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:36 am

I actually think my worst problem is if I wear something with some spandex in, so no thunderpants or Patagonia microfiber for me.

I've tried monkeybutt, and various powders, various diaper rash, and even calmoseptine a balm used for tube feeders rubs, which can be horrible.

Not riding in sweat wetted underwear seems to be a key. And avoiding full seat riding britches in summer especially Fits. My worst break our seem to be directly related to Fits breeches so maybe skin allergies is part of the problem.

Thanks for the great advice.

dasher
Greenie

Postby dasher » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:38 pm

Try changing your laundry detergent. Specifically, fabric softener and fragrance free.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”