Do you believe in Karma, Guardian Angel, other?

Josette
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Do you believe in Karma, Guardian Angel, other?

Postby Josette » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:40 pm

I do. I've had several situations that could have had a bad outcome - if the powers that be had not intervened. Maybe it was luck or whatever but these situations could have ended badly.

My morning routine is to feed all animals between 5:45 - 6 AM then do an early walk at 6:45 to nearby park. Then ride my pony between 8 - 9 to try and beat the heat and be done by 10. However, this morning light rain last night triggered 92% humidity and I was undecided about park walk. I have 2 small rescue dogs: 1 dachshund/corgi mix young age 1 very timid - and 1 mature chi/terrier mix very protective of his person and property - build like a 20# cinder block.

So young dog whines he wants to go the park and I decide to try a late walk at 7:20 - make it a short one. I had a letter to mail and typically would leash my dogs for the long walk down our driveway to the mailbox. This morning I put dogs in the truck and stopped at the end of the driveway - hop out to the mailbox. A large white truck is slowly coming down the street at the same moment I am at the mailbox. As I turn back to my truck a large german shepard (no collar) is standing between me and my truck. I was so taken by surprise I froze and simply said in soft doggie voice 'hey baby'. (I am wearing large dark sunglasses and baseball cap. If dog stood on hind legs he would have been taller than me.) Male driver in truck has window rolled down and makes a sound/command to the dog and continues driving with dog slowly following the truck to neighbors driveway. This sounds like a minor incident - but if I had been walking my dogs to the mailbox there would have been a huge dog fight. My terrier mix would have gone wild if this dog approached to even sniff them.

I've had a few close situations where I've been on my property and loose dogs have come after me. Sometimes I was walking my dogs or riding my horse. I feel like a cat with nine lives and very close to #8 or #9 now. :roll:

PaulaO

Re: Do you believe in Karma, Guardian Angel, other?

Postby PaulaO » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:09 pm

I definitely believe that what goes around comes around. That if you act like an @sshole, you will eventually be treated the same way. I also believe that angels/spirits can take messages to others, usually messages of forgiveness or healing.

Flight

Postby Flight » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:45 am

I don't, but would love to think so! But weird coincidences like that are fascinating. As an owner of small dogs (an unfortunately had one killed by a german shepard) I can feel your relief that they were safe.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:15 pm

Absolutely believe - I also strongly believe in the powers of St. Anthony - I can't tell you how many times he has helped me find things I have lost.

Karma - I sort of believe in. I do think many people escape from karma.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:19 pm

I believe in the power of no prayer whatsoever. I wish karma was real.

Josette

Postby Josette » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:16 pm

okay - so another weird incident this morning. I decided not to go to the nearby park for our early AM dog walk. I meet some other dog walkers between 6:30 - 7AM. They text me back that police have blocked off the park this morning as a gunman is in a nearby house. The park is within walking distance to my house - but on a busy road. The street leading to my street was blocked off by police. Hopefully they got the person. :roll:

I'm going out to clean stalls now before the heavy rains and thunder storms start.

https://patch.com/new-jersey/manasquan/ ... man-report

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:20 am

I am not really a "believer" in much of anything, but I do think heightened awareness can enhance observations and help us make choices which seem "enlightened"! Glad your little ones and you are fine.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:38 am

IMO, this should be required reading in every school until every single student understands it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Milli ... _Challenge

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:00 pm

kande50 wrote:IMO, this should be required reading in every school until every single student understands it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Milli ... _Challenge

Great post. Nobody was ever able to claim the prize. I refer to this very often.

We as a society need to teach skepticism, critical thinking skills, taking nothing on faith, demanding evidence, not fooling yourself, etc. etc. Given the political situation in the US, this is obviously not a game. We need an electorate that understands the relevant issues and is not at war with science and reason itself.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:31 am

Related to an evidence-based perspective, I also think we should teach the scientific method thoroughly and constantly, including in public media. I have been discussing this lately with science journalists. Since I work at a national lab where execution of the scientific method is not always at play :shock: , I cannot emphasize this enough! Yes, "even" scientists can be seduced by magic over method.

It is a struggle in my working world to inspire yet not deceive. Yet I think it is essential to do just that.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:00 pm

Tsavo wrote:Nobody was ever able to claim the prize.

Also important to note that all of the contestants agreed that the test was fair before they started it. I think most were probably flabbergasted by the outcomes, because they truly believed that whatever it was that they believed was true.

I've been flabbergasted quite a few time myself when I found out that something I'd believed for a long time wasn't true, or something I didn't think could possibly be true was.

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:27 pm

I think this is such a cool topic. I am a firm believer in Karma, Angels and definitely Spirits. I believe in the powers of energies and how they affect the world around us. Especially when it comes to horses. Horses don't know science as we do, they live solely on instinct and intuition. At least I think so... I know that this doesn't really relate to the whole Karma topic, but I am on Heart Horse Number 3 right now, and I firmly believe it is my Karma that has put them in my path.

Neat.

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:02 pm

Yes, be it in the form of humans or a little voice in my head or whatever. Completely.

Minor example, one winter about 8 years or more ago I was running around like crazy trying to get errands done at home so I could go to my mom's house 45 mins away. She was much older and we took turns helping her out, etc. My 3 kids were young and there was lots to be done. Mom needed ice melt for her driveway and there was none to be found, it was a really crappy, icy winter. Literally, my brother couldn't find nor my sister who lived with my mom. I'm out doing errands and the voice in my head tells me to stop at Royal Farms. I never go to Royal Farms, maybe on road trips, but not around here. Well I ignored it, went on with my errands and didn't find the ice stuff at any of the stores I usually go to. On my way back home, the little voice pops up again, so I think what the heck and stop in. What do you know, a whole pile of bags of ice melt or whatever the brand. Definitely didn't come from, and no, nothing that could be proved. But guidance for something I needed.

It happens with other things too, but I do think I have to be open to it and aware.

And no, I don't believe in the paranormal. That's different imo. One can be a scientist and have faith. They are not exclusive.

I do believe how we treat people, animals, this world, eventually comes back to us. We reap what we sow.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:55 pm

I tried a few horses before I found Miss A. None had that spark. As soon as I swung my leg over her the very first time, I knew we were to be a pair. We came together at a time when we needed each other. I had (note the past tense, nothing drains your wallet faster than horse ownership LOL) enough money to buy a low 5 figure horse. I didn't need (or want) a chestnut TB mare that cribs, but we found each other. I don't think that is karma, but there was something that brought us together.

My anti-karma story is my brother Steven always hated me, even when we were kids. As grownups, he would look me in the eye and say "fuck you Paula, I hate you." Guess who ended up making health care decisions for him when he went into respiratory failure. My sibs and I decided to take him off life support and I was the one who was in communication with the physicians.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”