Don't call it fall: September/October Autumn Goals

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
musical comedy
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Don't call it fall: September/October Autumn Goals

Postby musical comedy » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:59 pm

Tsavo wrote:Nice report, Dresseur.
Agree. Reading Dresseur's reports, most would not think her horse is only 5 years old. Really progressing at a rapid pace compared to some of us.

Dressage, for me, has produced more situations with me thinking I am an idiot than everything else in my life combined. The people who say dressage is straight-forward or obvious sound high.
It doesn't make me think I'm an idiot, but it makes me know I probably should have chosen a different sport, or maybe no sport at all.

I can't speak for how others adapt to working with a new horse, but sometimes it can be very difficult. Things that were so easy on other horses are not always easy on a different horse. It is extremely frustrating to have felt that you were confirmed at doing something, only to find out you were not.

We started work on counter canter today for the first time. It was difficult and I felt incompetent. This is the kind of thing I'm talking about. New horses, different situations, is what makes a rider good. But that can only happen if the rider is talented enough. If you are limited in talent or physical ability, everything becomes a challenge and often an insurmountable one. Text book aids often don’t initially work, nor does sitting in the perfect position. That’s why one needs competent help on the ground (and I don’t mean soloshot) in order to nip bad habits in the bud and ensure you are aiding properly based on the situation.

Snork wrote:I have finally conceded that horses who require consistent work and effort are too much work to be fun for me. I'm into instant gratification, like, you know, microwaves and made horses.
Um yup.

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:49 pm

Soft goals are to take him out 2nd level in November, and then do 2nd level freestyles in spring so that we can spend some non-stressful time in the ring. We’ll work changes this winter. IF he gets them under his belt in a meaningful way, we’ll try for 3rd and the 3rd level freestyles. (I want my bronze freestyle bar :) Then he’ll sit at home until he’s ready for PSG. While the tricks seem to come easy, he’ll take a while to develop the strength to do things correctly.

demi

Postby demi » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:19 am

I had a good lesson today on one of my trainer’s horses. I will be taking weekly lessons until Rocky is sound. She gave me a good workout which is what I wanted. It took me the whole lesson to get her straight at the trot, but by the end it was very enjoyable! When on the left rein, I needed to keep her “slightly” flexed to the right, and also keep the haunches from drifting in. It was a coordination issue on my part. Once I got her straight going to the left, going to the right was easier, but I had to be reminded often to be soft on the left rein. Not giving up the left rein, just being soft and elastic.

The horse is a bigger mover than I am used to so I was quite tired after trotting the whole lesson. I was told her canter is even bigger so I opted out of cantering this time. Next time I should be able to get her straight at the start and then will be able to spend the rest of the time on canter.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:41 am

Khall I thought I invented TOF in renver. So much for that thought lol.

khall

Postby khall » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:49 am

Gallop had talked about it years ago. Mark and Cedar both use it for the more advanced horses. I like mixing the lateral work up to address the horse's issues. I've been amazed with the TB/Perch mare how much she has changed just with in hand work. Once it cools off I want to get on her again and see if it transfers to the faster gaits.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:01 am

I wasnt really expecting a list of everyone who uses the exercise. It was a tongue in cheek poke at how there is nothing new under the sun. Again, I'll just step out of the ring. You win.

khall

Postby khall » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:09 pm

Chisamba I was not trying to "win" anything. This was a discussion. I'm sorry I did not catch your sarcasm, was late and tired reading literally. Gallop was the first I had heard of this movement on the old UDBB. What I find interesting is that there are some trainers that do not use movements such as this. Manola M does not believe in doing lateral work on a bending line, he feels it is too hard for the horse. I do not see many competition trainers incorporate lateral work on bending lines, they tend to stick with how they appear in the tests. So while there are those of us who do use this type of work, there are also those out there who do not believe in this type of work.

Here is Nuno Olivera using lateral on bending lines:
https://www.facebook.com/diamond.harmon ... 3MzU1NTAw/

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:33 pm

Fair enough maybe I was overly touchy.

I respect people who do in hand work that translates to under saddle. I think it may be easier for horses who have lateral work on bending lines introduced in hand to then do the same under saddle.

I personally feel it's ok to forget about implosion when working on supple. You dont see humans trying to stretch while they run.

It's a time thing sometimes. If you have a limited how do you want to prioritize your training. When I had a horse like to walk for six months, I prioritized walk. I would not have unless the circumstances forced it.

So perhaps in hand work

khall

Postby khall » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:18 pm

Chisamba the TB/Perch is not mine, she belongs to boarder/friend who bought the wrong horse and was injured pretty badly on her in spring 2017. We've had to remake the horse in order for the mare to be more suitable for her rider. Being maneuverable and lighter to the aids was imperative. BIG mare, tiny rider with not much strength. Mare is PSSM1 so needs to work so have been concentrating on in hand and on line to see how we could change the mare, change her balance and her understanding of the aids. Rider has only been back on the mare with safety net and only at the walk now for a month or so since the wreck. Rider has a lot to learn before the pair can do more. We have seen this mare whose not got the best conformation for dressage (naturally heavy on the front, 1400 lbs of forward and heavy and long in the back) be able to now have some self carriage. Mare MUST be lighter to ride for the owner (I can ride her just fine, but she was a physical ride) and I feel the lateral work is the way to go to get this development. Has been an interesting journey. Rider has learned so much from this journey and the mare has improved so all is good. No time table, just the journey.

demi

Postby demi » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:52 pm

khall wrote:...
Here is Nuno Olivera using lateral on bending lines:
https://www.facebook.com/diamond.harmon ... 3MzU1NTAw/

That was a beautiful video! I hadn’t seen it before. The facebook poster of that vid quoted something from Oliveira that I appreciate much more so as I experience the limitations of old age, “I don’t want riders who work physically hard. Work by thinking.”. He also said somewhere “dressage in bedroom slippers”. I thought about that metaphor a lot when I first read it.

Thanks so much for posting that khall!

demi

Postby demi » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:40 pm

Chisamba wrote:... When I had a horse like to walk for six months, I prioritized walk. I would not have unless the circumstances forced it...

Yes, since I am forced to walk Rocky for a while, I have to think about things I might not have otherwise. Maybe this is partly why I was so intrigued with the NO vid that khall just posted. Almost all of the work was done at the walk.

It was interesting talking to my trainer about Rocky yesterday. She thinks this period of walking will be very beneficial for my mare, considering her particular temperament. I am interested in adding lateral work, even on bending lines, to Rocky’s walk program. Having the Soloshot will be enormously helpful for me since I don’t have mirrors, nor do I have a natural feel for lateral work. (I am not saying that Soloshot is a substitute for experienced eyes on the ground, just that it is a good tool)

I am thinking more about this but will continue my thoughts on the thread about “what kind of trainer...”.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:24 pm

demi wrote: I am interested in adding lateral work, even on bending lines, to Rocky’s walk program.
I would suggest running this past your vet. Usually, any lateral work (even at walk) is not recommended when rehabbing a suspensory injury.

demi

Postby demi » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:26 pm

musical comedy wrote:
demi wrote: I am interested in adding lateral work, even on bending lines, to Rocky’s walk program.
I would suggest running this past your vet. Usually, any lateral work (even at walk) is not recommended when rehabbing a suspensory injury.

Thanks, MC, I will do that. I just planned to do “light” lateral work. Only a few steps and not asking for the kind of crossing she is capable of. I just wanted to play with leg and rein effects and get it on video so I could start to get a visual for what is happening. I will definitely run it by the vet, tho.

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:29 pm

Bliss continues to gain strength... He's feeling great. I just need to keep developing that strength so he can carry the lateral work with the nice cadence he's starting to have on the more basic figures.
Attachments
Sept8_6.jpg
Sept8_6.jpg (21.25 KiB) Viewed 19336 times
Sept8_5.jpg
Sept8_5.jpg (55.9 KiB) Viewed 19336 times
Sept8_2.jpg
Sept8_2.jpg (50.48 KiB) Viewed 19336 times

demi

Postby demi » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:14 am

Bliss looks very good! He’s definitely developed since the last pics you posted. He looks more stretched into the contact and his carriage looks more articulated, which I think that would show up as more cadenced in a video. Thanks for sharing!

khall

Postby khall » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:24 am

Your welcome demi, it's interesting to me to watch this type of work. Anja B embodies it as well. Like I said on the trainer thread this type of work just makes sense to me. Will comment on the other thread to follow up.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:59 am

okay that garish limp is gone and we are back to limping on the LF when going right, the exact thing I retired him for about a year ago. This I can make sound with work.

I lunged him today. I trot him then canter him and then see if the trot improved. It did. Both directions. This is arthritis.

DJR
500 post plus club

Postby DJR » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:31 am

My daughter & I just got back from a 2-day dressage show with our local chapter, the last one of the year.

My daughter rode her cute QH pony, “Huckleberry Finn”, on the first day in four Walk-Trot tests. She had to get up bright & early as her first ride time was 8:15 a.m.! It was very cool & crisp this weekend, particularly in the early morning, so her pony was rather fresh and offered a BIG crow-hop right at the beginning of warm-up. She was a bit put-off by this after two years on her very-naughty Welsh pony who tossed her regularly. However, she did SO well in overcoming her apprehension and riding him as per her coach’s guidance, and got him past that initial freshness.

Once she got him in the ring, the only other two ponies near the show ring left. Still she rode him purposefully, very thoughtfully, and, as she said, “I rode him the way I was taught to ride him!”. The result was four SUPER scores: three were 65% and one was 67% (and she’d have had two at 67%, but she had to ride her tests back-to-back due to scratches so she got a bit mentally tired by the fourth test and went off-course). Most importantly, she rode so well, and her attitude was really great. Here she is enjoying one of her tests on Sawyer (that’s his barn name):
662FEC96-C97E-4A71-875A-6BE151B67157.jpeg
Sawyer.
662FEC96-C97E-4A71-875A-6BE151B67157.jpeg (142.89 KiB) Viewed 19304 times

Later that day, I rode Jet in our first-ever freestyle, at Third Level no less. It was just a Bronze division show (no passport needed), but I purposefully entered him in that show to ensure he only had to do the one test that day as his rated tests were the next day. I threw the freestyle together just a week prior, and because of a series of really bad crap that happened to me through last week, I only got to practice it three times before I performed it. Nevertheless, it all came together really well and the timings & music transitions ended up being spot on (mostly by luck!). We flubbed up some of our changes so that hurt the final mark, but we still managed a 62%, which I’m very happy with for the first try!

The next day, I rode Jet in Third-2 and Third-3, and was SO, SO pleased with him, especially Third-2. When I left the ring after that test, I told my daughter that that was the best Third Level test we’d ever pulled off. I was rewarded with a 66% for it, so the judge agreed .... however, my final mark was 64% because he gave me a 2-point penalty for posting the last half of my extended trot diagonal. You see, Jet was starting to feel bracy in his back which can happen in our extended trots because they don’t come naturally to him, so if that happens I try to very discretely post. The judge saw me, though, and marked me down. Oh well, it still doesn’t take away from how great the test felt! We even got 7s for each of our flying changes!!! Here he is doing trot half-pass left:
80158A68-FCEC-49DE-9E34-FD195D4EC9F8.jpeg
Jet, HP left.
80158A68-FCEC-49DE-9E34-FD195D4EC9F8.jpeg (152.57 KiB) Viewed 19304 times

The most fun part of the weekend was earning 65% for Third-3. It wasn’t that single score that was fun, it was the fact that in only three shows, I earned four qualifying scores (in front of three different judges) to get my Dressage Canada Silver Medal for Third Level!!!! I’m over the moon about this because a couple of years ago I seriously doubted if we’d EVER get our changes our move out of Second Level. Yay, Jet!! What a wonderful horse he is ... he thinks so, too! LOL.
A4485214-A2B4-42B4-A2E1-323B1FD3DBD7.jpeg
Jet, Silver Medal!
A4485214-A2B4-42B4-A2E1-323B1FD3DBD7.jpeg (96.85 KiB) Viewed 19304 times
formerly known as "Deanna" on UDBB -- and prior to that, as "DJD".

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:23 am

Congratulations Deanna. What a loveable (and ABLE) mug.
Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:54 pm

Excellent updates! Well done, DJR and daughter :-) I look forward to future Bliss videos as the photos are great! Love the shoulder management discoveries, Dresseur. Very helpful to read and think about. Even when horse and rider are talented, it is a learning journey!

Well, I got some insight of why khall might love in hand work for the Perch-TB she has been bringing on. I helped out a boarder by hopping on her Perch-Andy cross a few times this weekend while she was away. I knew the horse was pretty green (as is the owner, who just wants to hack and have fun). It was one of those moments where I remember how much I dislike riding a horse who does not have any respect for the bit.I was reminded of something JJ Tate has taught:
"In training, horses *cannot learn* that:
-They can take their neck away from us
-They can gain rein
-They can open their neck and get the rider's elbow to open
-They can pull on the reins and the rider's seat gets lighter."

Clearly this horse (with a novice rider) had learned ALL of these things, so I had some work cut out for me! "No horse, you are not allowed to expect me to carry your massive neck/head!" "Yes horse, I will do as many transitions as I need to in order to get your butt in gear and your massive front off the reins!" "No, horse, you can not move my seat out of this saddle when when you try to chuck your massive head down." "No horse, you cannot gain rein length by flinging your head." This large horse is surprisingly quick on her feet, though, and if anything uses rushing to avoid carrying. Think Iberian speed with a draft body! The horse did learn very quickly and did much better on day 2. I do see how in-hand work would have been a lot easier on my body as a starting point!

It was also a reminder that I am not willing to hack out on horses that do not politely whoa and turn. Yes, I'm a bit uptight :-D

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:02 pm

congrats everyone!

I'm in a bit of a tough slog with my riding, I think it's just a combo of things. When it gets colder my health isn't great.
I forgot how to sit the trot but my horse wasn't giving me any help. Many elements are going well. We have some more events this fall so I want to get out as much as possible :)

khall

Postby khall » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:32 pm

piedmont I feel ya! Those draft cross can be interesting to ride:) This one not only is draft but also has weak conformation for dressage work. Heavy in the shoulders, long weak back/loin and straighter hind leg so we have had to be careful and methodical to develop her. Add in owner who is learning, never done in hand work before and is a lateral work newbie it has been slow going. Really starting to see the benefits now though. I could ride the mare but what was the point, the mare needs to be lighter to ride for the owner. We will see.

I'm still hoping to ride in the schooling show this month, but dang it is still 95 with high humidity here. We are roasting. Won't get much from Florence it looks like rain wise and we need it. So I am waiting to see. If I showed it would be in the mid afternoon. On dark footing. Not sure I want to subject myself or Rip to that.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:22 pm

Ryeissa wrote:congrats everyone!

I'm in a bit of a tough slog with my riding, I think it's just a combo of things. When it gets colder my health isn't great.
I forgot how to sit the trot but my horse wasn't giving me any help. Many elements are going well. We have some more events this fall so I want to get out as much as possible :)

Hang in there! The lows are tough to ride out but there's always light at the end of the tunnel, however long those tunnels are. I've been there and am just now getting back out.

The fall is always tough for me because while the weather is finally starting to cooperate and get live-able instead of interminably hot, the days get shorter and I have less riding time anyway. It's just cruel.

That said, and I recognize this is tone-deaf but that's just my style, things are going well for Team Ponichiwa. Kiwi has been throwing down some really good work lately. Maybe it's the friendly in-barn competition for my attention that is helping her out; maybe it's me recognizing that I can ask of my trained horse some things I can't ask of my green horse and the kid gloves are finally off. Hard to tell. Either way, she's been very good all week and not at all explosive about things she used to find very difficult (e.g. multiple flying changes, half steps). This is even given my sometimes lazy approach to work in the past 2 weeks; she's had a lot of field rides. She's just being very honest on her work days. I'm very happy with the work she's giving me lately.

On a similar trend: Queso is the kind of horse that just makes you smile. Even when he gets a bit worried, he tries so hard that all you can do is give him a big pet and a thank you for the effort. The onus is on me to not take advantage of his good nature, whether consciously or not. He gets the day off because of weather but has deserved a day off because he's been such a good boy.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:45 am

Well, I had the saddle fitter out and made sure all saddles fit comfortably. I try to do this annually if something does not creep up sooner.

I have been working on not rushing the tempo in canter, and supplying exercises on both beasts. Titan is far more talented in his gaits than poor Kimba, but of course she is younger. Stronger and further along.

Not enjoying to exceptionally wet year it has been. Worrying about hay supply.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:52 pm

Last edited by Ryeissa on Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:14 pm

Great pics and show report, DJR! Congratulations on the freestyle. It's great that your daughter has so much room to grow with Sawyer. It sounds like they have a good relationship.

Not too much going on here. Kristen Aggers was here from California giving lessons at my barn, so I sat and watched a few this weekend. It was interesting watching the variability from a PSG/I1 horse, horse working on cracking 3rd, and a couple riders needing to correct foundational position/aid issues. And of course, there were lots of basics to work on with the more advanced horses and their rider. One thing that resonated, with the 2nd/3rd level horse, who was not being snappy enough in the W/C transitions, Kristen said "she has to pick up the phone. Right now, it's like, leave a voicemail and I'll get back to you in 1-3 business days." Annabelle is a little like that, so I'm going to be focusing on her "picking up the phone."

Doing more stretchy/easy work with Annabelle right now, nothing very exciting.

With Kyra, also working on "picking up the phone" when she blocks a little bit, but also focusing on keeping her through. She can be quite IFOTL and tight, but that's not very productive.

And also, Baby Giraffe wore a saddle last night. She doesn't care about the saddle itself, but is not a big fan of having the girth tightened, so I think she'll be wearing a saddle quite a bit so that it's a complete non-event by the time she's ready to start next summer. She is very sweet, but still has baby naughty moments like thinking it might be OK to cow-kick at me last night when I was handling her back legs.
Attachments
giraffe in a saddle.jpg
giraffe in a saddle.jpg (120.43 KiB) Viewed 19159 times
Keep calm and canter on.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:03 pm

Be careful SF; when he was 2, Tio somehow missed that memo about "no kicking" too and kicked me in the head when I was trying to teach him to trot beside me. :shock: Good thing I always wear a helmet when handling youngsters/greenies. ;)

I've had some more super rides interspersed with can't ride due to respiratory issues and oppressive smoke. The "gallops" in the field are doing wonders for cantering in the ring with Tio. He is starting to allow me to help him rebalance with hh's in the canter, whereas, before, he would fall into trot. The only glitch, right now in his training, is that he has turned the "forward" from riding out, into rushing in the arena. That just gives me all the more opportunity to teach him the meaning of hh's though. Rudy and I, otoh, are still (and always) working on quicker responses and quicker hind end. In the canter, this is resulting in him wanting to pop fc's for me, and me being too stupid to figure out how to let him know it's okay to go for it. I get so frustrated with myself sometimes.

Flight

Postby Flight » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:18 am

I"m always frustrated with myself Sue B! :D

So canter piri's have been really difficult for me, I reckon harder than learning flying changes. I videoed the other day, and I was actually surprised and a little excited to see that they are starting to resemble piris!
I'll be brave and share a vid, and I know that most people watching will think they are shit piri's. Yes they are, and we have a long way to go, but I am really happy with my little horse and that if you keep gently chipping away at it, you can get improvement. He is definitely better to the right than the left.
Happy for any tips of course!

https://youtu.be/0QfOTchrPJ4

khall

Postby khall » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:58 am

Gosh Flight I would be happy too! Those are a really good start! Great job Ding:)

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:23 pm

After your comments Flight I was expecting something much much worse than those!

I was impressed - he's nicely active throughout. Yes he comes above the bit at times but those hind legs just don't quit. I'm not qualified to tell you what to do to improve them, but I would definitely say you're on the right track. Thanks for sharing!

DJR - good for you and for your daughter. You should be proud. :D

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:32 pm

Flight, from where I stand, I would be thrilled to ride such "shit piris." I suppose part of being a dressage rider is being pretty hard on oneself. It has been really fun to see you progress over the years with Ding!
Keep calm and canter on.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:06 pm

I think one of the hardest things to do is let things fall apart (temporarily) while we learn new things. I don't think it's reasonable to always expect everything to stay perfect when you start to challenge the horse with new things. (that said, it has to come back to some midpoint on the continuum and not crate a really unhappy horse long term)

I used to back off if I felt something not so nice, now I realize it's part of the process, but I also rely on my trainer's guidance to know if it's "reasonable". I didn't make progress when I was afraid to upset the apple cart-still a struggle....

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:51 pm

A little video my sis shot of me and Tio. Has a little cantering followed by hopping over my 18" cavellettis. Tio is my Belgian warmblood greenie.

https://youtu.be/XXEA2ipKcNY

demi

Postby demi » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:51 pm

Tio is looking good! I can see the potential. Thanks for sharing.

demi

Postby demi » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:17 pm

I’m in Michigan for the week taking care of mom. Watching her at almost 90, I can see myself in the future. It makes me want to keep as fit as possible so I can ride as long as possible.

Travel, as many of us know, adds a hurdle to dressage training. I don’t have a horse to ride here, so I am going on long walks and stretching and doing light weight dumbbells (mom only has 3 lb dumbbells).

I’ll walk on Rocky and Em when I get home, and then have another lesson on trainer’s horse Wednesday.

It isn’t exciting progress, but I am happy just to be riding. So for me, it IS exciting. It helps to read of everyone else’s progress.

khall

Postby khall » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:30 pm

Well Rip has been a bit weird with his R SI in hand, felt nothing US but knew something was NQR. Had my vet out (yes she is holistic, but is just a damn good vet all around and yes she does acupuncture/chiro on Rip several times a year) and she found some strained muscles inside the RH. Pretty much know when he did it (was being a pill working in hand one day) so just light in hand work, sore no more and going to try a new modality on him similar to magna wave. Not sure what to think about the show. Have to send in entry tomorrow if I am going. Still ridiculously hot and humid (they had to stop endurance at WEG to do weather, rain, heat and humidity which I can totally understand!). I got light headed riding the other day and that was before lunch. Ugh

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:26 pm

Lovely sue! Really nice!

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:27 pm

demi wrote:I’m in Michigan for the week taking care of mom. Watching her at almost 90, I can see myself in the future. It makes me want to keep as fit as possible so I can ride as long as possible.

Travel, as many of us know, adds a hurdle to dressage training. I don’t have a horse to ride here, so I am going on long walks and stretching and doing light weight dumbbells (mom only has 3 lb dumbbells).

It isn’t exciting progress, but I am happy just to be riding. So for me, it IS exciting. It helps to read of everyone else’s progress.

Yea! It is exciting

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:29 pm

khall wrote:Well Rip has been a bit weird with his R SI in hand, felt nothing US but knew something was NQR. Had my vet out (yes she is holistic, but is just a damn good vet all around and yes she does acupuncture/chiro on Rip several times a year) and she found some strained muscles inside the RH. Pretty much know when he did it (was being a pill working in hand one day) so just light in hand work, sore no more and going to try a new modality on him similar to magna wave. Not sure what to think about the show. Have to send in entry tomorrow if I am going. Still ridiculously hot and humid (they had to stop endurance at WEG to do weather, rain, heat and humidity which I can totally understand!). I got light headed riding the other day and that was before lunch. Ugh

Oh no... I'm sorry.

Magna wave pemf is amazing. It worked VERY well for my horse. Good luck

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:36 pm

Last edited by Ryeissa on Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:30 am

Working on correct bending with Miss A. in preparation for,the dreaded 20 meter circle. She has had no dressage training ever but is very responsive to seat. I remembered some things from decades ago and played with them tonight at the walk. Weight in the inside stirrup, inside leg at the girth, outside leg a few inches back and steady to close the door. Torso rotated from the abs so that my shoulders mirror hers. Either Mary Wanless or Sally Swift called it the barbershop pole. And it worked. Not perfect but much improved.

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:56 am

Well team - I'm about to start packing for our first show adventure in 3 years. It's the provincial championships, but I didn't qualify for the championships so I'm just doing the Gold/recognized show. (Thanks pneumonia). 2nd level debut is now 28 hours away. Wish us luck!

kande50

Postby kande50 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:12 pm

PaulaO wrote:Working on correct bending with Miss A. in preparation for,the dreaded 20 meter circle. She has had no dressage training ever but is very responsive to seat. I remembered some things from decades ago and played with them tonight at the walk. Weight in the inside stirrup, inside leg at the girth, outside leg a few inches back and steady to close the door. Torso rotated from the abs so that my shoulders mirror hers. Either Mary Wanless or Sally Swift called it the barbershop pole. And it worked. Not perfect but much improved.

I've been working on this with the dh's trail horse, who acts like he doesn't have his first clue what a corner or circle is. So the first step was to just guide him around the corners and let him figure out how to balance on a turn. He steers, but knows nothing about leg other than that it means go, so I'm just riding him around the barrels in the corners (the barbershop poles) and doing lots of transitions between walk and trot.

Have to admit that it's been nice to ride a horse who isn't spooky, although I think I'd rather put up with the spooks and ride a horse who stays in a rhythmic trot on his own and can keep his balance and bend around the turns. :-)

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:33 pm

Good luck, Rosie!

Queso has had the majority of the week off due to a visit from the equine dentist. Now he's wolf-teeth-free, and got all his points evened out ("He's like a shark in there," as per the vet). Should be able to bulk him up in no time.

My sister's saintly lesson horse was a stallion babysitter for an arab farm in his (relative) youth, and is the perfect introduction to group turnout for the Queso-nator. Here's a picture of the drama that ensued after Queso got turned out with a buddy for the first time:

Dramatic.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:37 pm

PaulaO wrote: Torso rotated from the abs so that my shoulders mirror hers. Either Mary Wanless or Sally Swift called it the barbershop pole. And it worked. Not perfect but much improved.

In SvD's book, Balance in Movement, she talks about needing to do rotation with EVERY bend of the horse.

"Every lateral bend of the horse requires the rotation of the rider!"

"In the development of movement in the body, rotational movement ranks at the highest level. It is the most refined movement, and only through rotational movement are sensitive balance reflexes possible."

"In order to compensate for the deficiencies of his basic seat, he will also have to exert much more strength when applying aids. A one-sided unsteady hand of a rider is often caused by a limited rotational ability of the spine to one side."

I claim anyone who actively cultivates this in lateral movements will find the movements much easier. All I have to do on my horse and the other horse I ride is to counter-rotate my shoulders and hips and both horses go into SI. Horses dig this to no end.

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:15 pm

I have no update but just want to wish Rosie GOOD LUCK!

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:22 pm

Good Luck and Fun Trip Rosie!!!!

Excellent job with Miss Ariel, Paula!

Don't know how you can stand having such a drama-queen Ponchiwa. :lol:

Uggh, Rye, the saddle I ride Rudy in has those giant knee blocks, and I have never gotten totally used to them. Otoh, it is the ONLY saddle Rudy likes, so I know what it's like to have a he princess. :P

I have no updates.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:03 pm

Tsavo wrote:
PaulaO wrote: Torso rotated from the abs so that my shoulders mirror hers. Either Mary Wanless or Sally Swift called it the barbershop pole. And it worked. Not perfect but much improved.

In SvD's book, Balance in Movement, she talks about needing to do rotation with EVERY bend of the horse.

"Every lateral bend of the horse requires the rotation of the rider!"

"In the development of movement in the body, rotational movement ranks at the highest level. It is the most refined movement, and only through rotational movement are sensitive balance reflexes possible."

"In order to compensate for the deficiencies of his basic seat, he will also have to exert much more strength when applying aids. A one-sided unsteady hand of a rider is often caused by a limited rotational ability of the spine to one side."

I claim anyone who actively cultivates this in lateral movements will find the movements much easier. All I have to do on my horse and the other horse I ride is to counter-rotate my shoulders and hips and both horses go into SI. Horses dig this to no end.

yes, my whole three years of riding can be summarized in this statement. To correct asymmetry, one must rotate the pelvis (what that looks like depends on that rider, but we all cater to left or right lean, and tend to also either arch or roach the back/too much posterior or anterior tip of the pelvis- very few of us have neutral spine with out some training first)

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:04 pm

Tuddy wrote:I have no update but just want to wish Rosie GOOD LUCK!

Gooooo Rosie!

My dance card seems to be filling for Sept/Oct...nothing like horrid winter to get one to do more stuff. :lol:

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:55 pm

Good luck Rosie, you and Bliss and been showing some good work lately so I'm sure you're excited to be able to go to a show and really show it off.

Ponichiwa I just love Queso, he's handsome and so far sounds like a really fun smart guy too.

As for me, I won't really be joining in for this thread because I uh.. moved.. to Las Vegas. Like some sort of crazy person. :lol: Pal is with my coach until the weather gets more reasonable for her to adjust to down here and then she'll come too so perhaps I'll be able to join in on the next thread. I did schedule a lesson with a local instructor because I am going crazy not riding and I want to see if I think this person will be a good fit for Pal and me. It will be interesting riding a different horse but I sure do miss my own girl a ton already.

Return to “Dressage Training”