Get me out of training level!

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
piedmontfields
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Get me out of training level!

Postby piedmontfields » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:33 pm

Ponichiwa wrote:
Rosie B wrote:Or better yet you could NOT show at all but continue to progress in your schooling and delightedly tell all and sundry that you are schooling 2nd/3rd/4th, etc!!!! :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen: :lol: :roll: :mrgreen:

Uh... this hits a bit close to home. But think of the cost savings on shows!

It is the cheaper approach for sure....and yeah, it's fair to point a finger at me for this!

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:38 pm

And me as well. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I haven't worn my whites in 3 years.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:17 pm

I don't think a show record is necessary if people post pictures and videos.

Xanthoria
Herd Member

Postby Xanthoria » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:13 am

OK, show number three. Different venue, different judge. Still schooling tho.

Judge loooooved him. Who doesn't love a giant baby whale blubbering around? :lol:
68% TL2 2nd place.
66% TL3 but DQ'd because of THREE errors of course - WITH a reader! :lol:
1: my fault - didn't read the test
2 and 3: I asked for canter, got NOTHING, then gave him a whap, so got bucks. Decided a do-over on those circles was in order. Got DQ'd.

He was SO behind the leg. But he's improved, he traveled well (with a companion), he wasn't spooky just whinnying and stiff, and I worked really hard on the canter deps and he got all of them on the correct lead!

Also my kind friends helped me braid, called my test, and babysat me and him all day. I came away very happy and supported, despite the video being agonizing to watch! :mrgreen:

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:04 pm

Sounds like progress.

The videos are ALWAYS agonizing to watch immediately after. You need to allow them to mature for a few weeks!

kande50

Postby kande50 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:54 am

Ponichiwa wrote:
Rosie B wrote:Or better yet you could NOT show at all but continue to progress in your schooling and delightedly tell all and sundry that you are schooling 2nd/3rd/4th, etc!!!! :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen: :lol: :roll: :mrgreen:

Uh... this hits a bit close to home. But think of the cost savings on shows!

And the time and energy savings, because if scores are going to be used as some kind of a measure they probably should come from recognized shows, which are not only expensive, but often a long haul, too.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:23 pm

Last edited by Ryeissa on Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xanthoria
Herd Member

Postby Xanthoria » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:58 pm

Hm, I could have entered 1st level at the last show and came 2nd out of 2. And come to think I could have been 1st out of 0 at 2nd, 3rd or even 4th! :twisted:

kande50

Postby kande50 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:06 pm

Xanthoria wrote:Hm, I could have entered 1st level at the last show and came 2nd out of 2. And come to think I could have been 1st out of 0 at 2nd, 3rd or even 4th! :twisted:

The best part of dressage shows is that they're so much more about the scores than the placings. They'd be even better if the scoring could somehow be more objective (and if they were all held inside so we didn't have to ride out in the hot sun) but as long as we understand their limitations they can be a lot of fun.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:10 pm

Moutaineer wrote:Sounds like progress.

The videos are ALWAYS agonizing to watch immediately after. You need to allow them to mature for a few weeks!

The cure for that is to tape the at home practice sessions, and then you'll already be in shape to watch the show footage. :-)

Grandiose
Greenie

Postby Grandiose » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:36 pm

No advice from me, but as I've been stuck at training and 1st my entire dressage career I'm hoping you bust the 2nd barrier. The only times I rode 2nd level was on the trainers horses, I never succeeded with my own.

So thanks for this thread and please keep updating! ☺

Xanthoria
Herd Member

Postby Xanthoria » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:55 pm

Righty-ho. Baby Bronto just turned 7, so now he's just Bronto I suppose? Last fall he took a wrong step on the trail and buggered up a cartilage. He had 3 months off and 5 months of rehab. Last week we eent to our first (rinky dink schooling) show since last year: T1: 73% 1st place, T2: 71% 2nd place.

Appears time to try 1st level? Lengthening is a bit sketchy, but I think he can do the other stuff alright.

Anyone got contraindications for moving up to first, aside from low scores and gasps of terror from the railbirds?

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:45 am

If you can do the little loops in First Level, please go for it. The lengthenings are truly ideas in these tests IMHO.

Can we call him Boy Bronto?

Rooting you on from way too wet and humid Tennessee.

Xanthoria
Herd Member

Postby Xanthoria » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:17 am

The loops! Yes - those are pretty easy for us!

Boy Bronto for the win :D

Flight

Postby Flight » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:26 am

Definitely ready for first level! Congrats on scores.

Practice trot to halts and halts to trot with no walk steps. Is what we need here for Novice, which I think is pretty much the same as first level :)

Xanthoria
Herd Member

Postby Xanthoria » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:20 pm

Thanks! Our trot / halt / trot transitions are pretty good. It’s the walk / halt that feels like your wheelbarrowing a metric ton of concrete down a steep slope at times... :?

blob

Postby blob » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:31 pm

No, no downside to moving up, I think, unless it will stress you or the horse out. But that doesn't sound like the case!

I think there are lots of sketchy lengthenings at first level--they're mostly just looking for difference. And it sounds like you're plenty ready to move on up esp if your canter loops are solid.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:39 am

Go Boy Bronto, go! (and report back)

Have fun and good luck.

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:45 pm

Of course you can! You're a brave, talented, athletic rider with a nice horse! 30 years ago (OMG I'm getting old) when I was all of those things with a not quite so fancy horse (OTTQH) I showed 2nd a few times with very occasional lessons just to see if I could do it and I did and we got scores in the mid/high 60's. Good enough. You can totally do this!

Xanthoria
Herd Member

Postby Xanthoria » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:55 pm

Thanks Q! I might print that out for those times when I need a boost! :mrgreen:

A wrinkle occurred this week: slight lameness of indeterminate appendage. Vet lady was out, said 3 out of 4 legs (but NOT the one that was off for 8 months of the last 12!) seemed sore, and probably as a result of compensating for previously lame leg.

Options presented with oral joint supps (pah!), Legend and Adequan (aka Legendarily Useless and Barely Adequate, IMEX), or $everal Intra-articular $hots, funded by the sale of my left leg apparently...

Obviously I now qualify for para dressage as I immediately hacked off and sold my leg. Boy Bronto spent the night in a stall (DISGUST!) and took off into pasture today like a 1500# frog in a blender, which no doubt is exactly what the vet would love to see... :?

Friday I can ride again. Vet lady recommended duct tape, full seats, three helmets, a spotter with medivac on speed dial, and she inquired as to the state of my will before she left... :shock: No but srsly: if this has any effect on his "forward" button it will be WORTH EVERY PENNY!

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:04 pm

You're funny, but it is a damn shame that you have such a quality horse that has presented with so many issues.

Xanthoria
Herd Member

Postby Xanthoria » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:48 pm

Truth... I really hoped by buying a baby and treating it with kid gloves I'd be better off. But no! Oh universe, you wag, you...

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:50 pm

Xan: Aarrrgggghhh!

That is all. Fingers crossed.

demi

Postby demi » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:50 am

Well shoot, Xan. It seems like we have had a lot of long term bad luck here, not just you, but Dresseur, Straigthforward, and Hot4 too. And that’s just the horses. Poor Kyra’s mom! Hang in there. One thing about horsewomen is, we don’t give up easily!

Flight

Postby Flight » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:56 am

Hahaha, thanks for the funny read for a not so funny situation! Goodluck tomorrow with your ride, hope it all goes well and its only a newly tuned forward button that happens :)

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:15 am

Argh, damn. I can say that I have recent experience with both PRP and Prostride, and see results with both, but if he is just sore from compensation, I'd say yeah, no amputation of limbs in exchange for vet treatments is likely needed.

Looking forward to your first level debut when bronto gets his poop together!
Keep calm and canter on.

LeoApp
Herd Member

Postby LeoApp » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:23 pm

Yes do First and come tell us all about it! You can make up for lack of lengthenings if you do everything else well!

Xanthoria
Herd Member

Postby Xanthoria » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:06 pm

Right. I'm down on my luck now. Bronto came sound after the injection and I was entered in a show last Sunday at first level, for the first time (for him) and I was feeling READY and good about it!

But somehow he lost his right lead canter. Such things happen with youngsters, but in the back of my mind I was eyeing his left hind thinking "... something's up..." even tho he wasn't "lame lame."

I managed to get the canter sorted, but in warmup at the show he was markedly lame to the right only in deep footing. Sound on the straightaway, sound on harder footing. Had the judge, ring steward and a friend look: left hind.

Vet came 2 days later. Extensive rads, nothing exciting. U/S of the LH - 8mm suspensory lesion.

The worst kind.

He's in a stall, freaking out, and we are done for at least 9 months. I haven't cried yet but... I'm probably just too depressed.

Vet says it probably happened around July 4th (fireworks!) and that the hock injections probably had a slightly analgesic affect that would have lasted about 10 days... can someone shoot me now? :cry: :cry: :cry:

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:19 pm

Oh Xan, I'm so, so sorry. I hope that with rest, you can see him through this injury.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:28 pm

Arrgh, I am so, sorry to read this. Damn.
Keep calm and canter on.

khall

Postby khall » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:35 pm

I'm so sorry Xan. I swear horses can just break your heart. I often feel you need at least 2-3 in the stable just to have 1 sound to ride.

Flight

Postby Flight » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:39 pm

So sorry Xanthoria!

zevida
Herd Member

Postby zevida » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:44 am

I'm so sorry, that really sucks.

Anne
Herd Member

Postby Anne » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:50 pm

oh Xanthoria that is such bad news, my sympathies to you both, and healing jingles too.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:07 pm

Oh, bugger it, Xan. You have had such rotten luck.

Xanthoria
Herd Member

Postby Xanthoria » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:14 pm

Thanks guys... I'm still in shock in a way. Why is everything going so wrong, horse wise?

What am I going to do for the next 9+ months? I can't afford to buy a new horse... I don't know any trainers with schoolmasters I can ride.... I don't see any offsite lease horses around here (I still need to do twice daily care for my guy so traveling elsewhere can't be done)... I don't know what to do.

Anyone want to just loan me a horse that wants good care and training for 9 months? Hah!

In other news I contacted the breeder and asked if she'd take him back as a pasture ornament/future trail horse and she's unable.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:27 pm

Oh no! Heartbreaking news from Brontoland. I'm so sorry!

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:04 pm

That is devastating news Xan, I am so sorry. :(

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:31 pm

Xan, I think you know that we all really feel for you and boy Bronto. Is he settling into the stall rest at all or is that a whole other tragedy?

In the areas of the equestrian US I'm familiar with (Carolinas, Tennessee, Virginia), it is not that hard to find a free lease sane OTTB or other who needs basic training work. Or a horse who is a bit much for their regular rider (and needs real work to make them rideable).

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:33 am

piedmontfields wrote:Xan, I think you know that we all really feel for you and boy Bronto. Is he settling into the stall rest at all or is that a whole other tragedy?

In the areas of the equestrian US I'm familiar with (Carolinas, Tennessee, Virginia), it is not that hard to find a free lease sane OTTB or other who needs basic training work. Or a horse who is a bit much for their regular rider (and needs real work to make them rideable).

Yes, I was wondering if it might be worth approaching an organization like CANTER and seeing if they have something that needs some work, and maybe they can foot all or part of the bill?
    Keep calm and canter on.

Return to “Dressage Training”