Cabbage Rolls

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Cabbage Rolls

Postby Tuddy » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:02 pm

http://www.claudiascookbook.com/2010/10 ... age-rolls/

It is Canadian Thanksgiving this weekend - I am going to attempt to make these. If successful, I think I will be wife of the year. I am actually going to tweak it by adding canned tomatoes (actually debating adding a jar of salsa to tell you the truth), and mixing it half beef/half pork, and using a whole package of bacon. I will use some of the bacon in the sauce, as per the directions, and the remainder in the meat mixture. I don't use short grain rice, so basmati it is.

I will keep you posted. And wish me luck. This will probably be an all day adventure. Yikes.

Hayburner
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Cabbage Rolls

Postby Hayburner » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:12 pm

That recipe is very similar to my moms which is also our families way of making them.

We slightly par cook Uncle Bens white rice and we do use a little ground pork to keep them soft. Only a few pieces of bacon on the final layer is used.

We also put a bag of drained/rinsed sauerkraut on top or between the layers inthe pan.

It's one of my favorite dishes served with creamy mashed potatoes.

I don't think salsa would give you the authentic Ukrainian taste.

My moms are the Best!

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:13 pm

Btw. It does take all day! I only make them when I can get fresh home grown cabbage.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:16 pm

I read her method and we do not precook the meat, it gets rolled raw, it cooks along with the cabbage at 325 or so for a few hours.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:18 pm

My dad's side of the family is Polish and makes something like this every holiday. They call it glomke - not sure of the spelling, but when I googled, it appears the word is actually "golabke". Guess they've been saying it wrong all these years? They are getting schooled this Christmas. :P

I've never made them, but regularly make "unstuffed cabbage" as a weeknight dinner. Tasty, low-carb comfort food and good leftovers.
Keep calm and canter on.

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:07 pm

Hayburner wrote: We also put a bag of drained/rinsed sauerkraut on top or between the layers inthe pan.

.....I don't think salsa would give you the authentic Ukrainian taste.

Ah, that would be a good way to instant sour the cabbage... I will buy a jar and layer it. I was just going to add the salsa for heat/kick (if I were to make them again). I know I would breaking "tradition"...

StraightForward wrote:My dad's side of the family is Polish and makes something like this every holiday. They call it glomke - not sure of the spelling, but when I googled, it appears the word is actually "golabke".

My husband's mother was German, that is what she used to call them too, pronounced, "gal-ob-kee" even though she pronounced it "gal-ob-schkee".

I won't lie to you friends, I can't stand Cabbage Rolls... why anyone would take perfectly good meat and wrap it up in some piece of wore out old cabbage is beyond me... but my husband is missing them, and it was his birthday yesterday.

This poor First Nations/Irish wife of his would rather feed him soup and bannock, but hey, I am just trying to spice up my marriage... lol! I'm pretty positive food is the way to my husband's heart haha!

I will make them this weekend and take a picture of it and then post it early next week!

THANKS FOR THE SUGGESTIONS FRIENDS! :)

Kirby's Keeper
Novice

Postby Kirby's Keeper » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:20 pm

I vote for unrolled cabbage roll casserole. All the flavour but so much less work. I love to put a dollop of sour cream on my serving. Yummy!!!
Proud member of the Ilks Club ;)

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:32 pm

I'm not spelling this right - but, we also call them Ha-lup-key

Tuddy, I can't believe you don't like them....I thought everyone loved stuffed cabbage/Ha-lup-key......

As a kid I remember my mom & aunts getting together and making them for weddings, showers, heck every celebration included them....

What a good wife you are to make these for him and I bet you get something out of it too....LOL

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:43 pm

Just checking to see how they turned out?

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:21 pm

Okay everyone! Here they are!

As I was rolling them, thinking to myself what the hell have I gotten myself into.... :lol:

C Rolls 1.jpg
C Rolls 1.jpg (165.65 KiB) Viewed 9622 times

The finished product... I had to run the vultures off them so I could take a picture of them before they were all gone... ;)

C Rolls 2.jpg
C Rolls 2.jpg (179.73 KiB) Viewed 9622 times

Pretty much followed the recipe but these were the changes I made as per some suggestions here and from other friends and family.

I did not precook the rice or meat.
My tomato base is actually one can of diced tomatoes and one jar of salsa.
I used 1 lbs ground bison meat, 1lbs ground pork, 2 cups rice, chopped half a medium sized onion and half a package of bacon in my meat mixture.
Since I did not have time to sour the cabbage, I put a couple handfuls of premade sauerkraut in between the layers and on top. (I bought a 500g tube of it from the grocery store and used the whole package with this.)
The bottom of the roaster, I greased with melted butter, then poured a layer of tomato/salsa mixture, then my first layer of rolls. (For some reason, I had a fear of the rolls sticking to my roaster if I didn't line it with this first.)
Layered row 1 of rolls, added my sauerkraut and then tomato/salsa mixture.
Did the same for the second layer and then added enough water to bring level with the roaster.
Threw it in a 325°F oven for 3 and a half hours, checking every 30 minutes to see if I needed to add water - because it was a very deep roaster, I only had to add water once.
I had a dozen that didn't fit in this roaster, so I put them in a smaller, more shallow roaster, and I had to frequently add water to that one - assuming because it was so shallow and the moisture boiled off faster than the deep one?
In total, I think I got about a couple short of 3 dozen out of this batch.

Quality Control - aka my family - told me that if I were to ever make this again..... Don't change a thing! I think it is safe to say, they were a hit.

Xanthoria
Herd Member

Postby Xanthoria » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:48 am

The Polish spelling is “Gołąbki“ and that “L” with a line thru it is a “w” sound. My Polish boyfriend from forever ago pronounced it “GuWOMP-ke” but that’s all I’ve got!

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:52 pm

Xanthoria wrote:The Polish spelling is “Gołąbki“ and that “L” with a line thru it is a “w” sound. My Polish boyfriend from forever ago pronounced it “GuWOMP-ke” but that’s all I’ve got!

Ah, I am thinking my mother in law didn't realize that the L should sound like a w... fun fact I will tell my husband tonight.

Xanthoria
Herd Member

Postby Xanthoria » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:48 pm

I did bit more research: https://polishforums.com/food/golumpkis-golabkis-51933/

"ł" is read like English "w"
"ą" is read like "om"

and for one vs multiple of them:

GO£ĄBKI: pronunciation roughly -- goWUMPkee
GO£UMBKI: dialectal pronunciation -- goWOOMPkee

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:45 am

Glad they were a hit! Still a bit shocked about the salsa since I and my fa,ily have only ever put tomato soup in ours. Maybe that's something I should try next time!

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”