Things you would pay extra for and the opposite

Tsavo
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Things you would pay extra for and the opposite

Postby Tsavo » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:28 pm

In a horse I buy, I am willing to pay extra for among horses who have decent PPE results:

1. barefoot and able to perform like shod
2. history of soundness in work with proof
3. negative Lyme titer in Lyme-infested areas

Horse I like but will discount, sometimes heavily, for the following:

1. grey (melanoma)
2. therapeutic shoes required

Non-starters: (besides things like roaring and bad radiographs and the usual stuff like that though they still "pass" a PPE)

1. mismatched fronts
2. Lyme exposure in Lyme areas

I'd like to hear what others say so I can get more ideas.

musical comedy

Re: Things you would pay extra for and the opposite

Postby musical comedy » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:46 pm

You and I differ on the 'discounting'. If I dislike something about a horse, I don't dislike it less if they drop the price. I wouldn't even get to the PPE stage if all my boxes weren't ticked.

I think where am I is a Lyme area and I never even think about getting my horse tested.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:49 pm

Fair enough. Do you think there could be any relation between the reason you retired your horse and Lyme sequealae?

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:50 pm

In re discounting... as an example... I would take a grey draft cross mare doing FEI if they otherwise passed a PPE. But I would offer half.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:53 pm

Tsavo wrote:Fair enough. Do you think there could be any relation between the reason you retired your horse and Lyme sequealae?
My guy retired very serviceably sound. He could still have competed 3rd level. I retired him for a very bad heart and felt it was dangerous for me to continue to ride him. Does Lyme cause heart problems?

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:55 pm

Also Tsavo, lots of horses will test positive on Lyme titer just if they were 'exposed'. Isn't a problem if they a asymptomatic. Gosh, there are so so many things to worry about with buying a horse, that Lyme would be at the very bottom of my list.
Last edited by musical comedy on Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:56 pm

I was referring to the heart issue. i just wonder because how rare is that?

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:57 pm

I think there are enough "mystery" lamenesses out there without a diagnosable cause to suggest they may be mostly tick-borne sequelae.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:57 pm

Tsavo wrote:I was referring to the heart issue. i just wonder because how rare is that?
It's not rare at all; it's common. Research it. Have you had your horse's heart checked recently? Mine went downhill in 6 months. It was actually a shock when I found the problem.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:59 pm

Tsavo wrote:I think there are enough "mystery" lamenesses out there without a diagnosable cause to suggest they may be mostly tick-borne sequelae.
I disagree, but we'll probably never know. Most mystery lameness I think are soft tissue somewhere that can't be seen or neurological.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:02 pm

Tsavo, re the heart, it's called Leaky Valve. Here's one article. Very common just as heart disease is common in old people.
http://veterinarynews.dvm360.com/degene ... der-horses

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:10 pm

Maybe the trigger they mention is some tick illness. Someone should look at the demographics wrt Lyme areas.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:16 pm

Tsavo wrote:Maybe the trigger they mention is some tick illness. Someone should look at the demographics wrt Lyme areas.
If that were true, then lots of young horses would have leaky value and that isn't the case. It's an old horse disease. You are on your way to beating a dead horse with this Lyme subject.

Josette

Postby Josette » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:34 pm

I'm on the same page as MC regarding Lyme exposure and heart valve issues. (I've had heart valve issues since a child.) It's probably extremely rare to find a horse or even an active outdoor exposed dog that has not been bitten by a tick in the NE. I'd immediately pass and not pursue PPE if something turns me off whether physical or temperament - lack of adequate training, etc. Besides obvious health issues to avoid - my personal priorities being a petite rider is a preference for a smaller horse. Nice manners and certain training level US saddle plus sane / safe enough for riding trails. So sane cooperative temperament is a priority. I can handle lower scale spook or looky business but will not tolerate bolting or bucking, etc. So I would certainly pay more for those training / temperament qualities. Maintenance issues - depends on what IMO and how expensive to cost on what schedule - like custom shoeing, etc. How critical is the maintenance to keep the horse sound? If I had to constantly spend on special shoeing and numerous injections, medications - then pass for me.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:28 pm

Tsavo wrote:Maybe the trigger they mention is some tick illness. Someone should look at the demographics wrt Lyme areas.

And when the demographics on "unexplained" lameness are the same regardless of where, geographically, the horse is located... then what?

How far would you pursue "unexplained" when it comes down to the diagnostics of the lameness... flexions? x-rays? MRI? Nuclear scan? When would your cutoff be for attempting to diagnose before you really call it "unexplained"?

I'm with the others... when you hear hoofbeats, think horses and not zebras :)

Me? When I was horse shopping, temperament was top on the 'must have' list. I did not need nor want a nut job.

Nice to haves were size (done with 17hh tanks :) ), gender (mare), color (no greys).

Probably no thank you were OCD, questionable lameness. Other questionable on the PPE I'd discuss with my vet specific to the horse and the job I was wanting that horse to do.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:25 pm

Tsavo wrote:therapeutic shoes required

this is a negitive for me. won't consider anything with navicular, etc

I got everything on my list but size, but I was ok with that since that is not connected to health history, or performance (directly) and my horse has a really big reach so didn't feel tiny.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:34 pm

Tsavo wrote:In a horse I buy, I am willing to pay extra for among horses who have decent PPE results:

1. barefoot and able to perform like shod
2. history of soundness in work with proof
3. negative Lyme titer in Lyme-infested areas

Horse I like but will discount, sometimes heavily, for the following:

1. grey (melanoma)
2. therapeutic shoes required

Non-starters: (besides things like roaring and bad radiographs and the usual stuff like that though they still "pass" a PPE)

1. mismatched fronts
2. Lyme exposure in Lyme areas

I'd like to hear what others say so I can get more ideas.

Interesting list. I've always offered before proceeding with PPE (with the understanding that I could still walk away if the PPE found something I didn't like), so it's interesting to me that you'd pay more $$ for PPE results. Are you bidding against yourself?

I've got a similar love/live with/lose list, though. I will not look at a grey horse, having seen a couple too many with devastatingly short careers due to melanomas. Well, that and I'd have to bathe far too frequently.

Love: the "right" color/markings, perfect size, ability to fit in a saddle I already own, trainable temperament, fun to ride, great ground manners.

Live with: taller/smaller than ideal, less training than ideal for current age (or poorer training than is ideal if the temperament is good), potentially some less-than-ideal conformation or findings from PPE commensurate with age. May also live with some stable vices (e.g. cribbing) for an otherwise good match, and some gaps in ground manners may be acceptable if there are redeeming features elsewhere.

Lose: prematurely arthritic x-rays for age/work experience, poor temperament, lame, less than 14hh or over 18hh, any neck/back issues, any neuro signs, "bad" feet x-rays, etc.

Incidentally, I also had a gelding that eventually succumbed to a leaky valve in his heart (at the ripe old age of 26, though). He had no exposure to Lyme areas having lived his life in Colorado and Texas.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:48 pm

Ponichiwa, I am saying I am likely to pay a higher asking price than would seem appropriate otherwise if the horse had one or more of those things. Also I would not bid under the asking price with one or more of those things.

In re heart valves, I am just saying latency is a thing and is very hard to discern sometimes. Things with decade or more latencies are HIV and AIDS, HPV and cervical and throat cancer, etc. I don't think a first cut at the demographics would be that hard ... Vets may be aware of prevalence in various parts of the country. Or not. Not my field.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:32 pm

If I was paying real money, PPE and blood tests clean are non negotiable.
I now include neurological testing as part of PPE.

I've had many greys and never had melanoma so I'm not afraid of it. Besides melanoma is now treatable.

I would want a ten year old, if it's still sound at ten, my theory us ie would stay sound. Also, its past the temperamental seven year itch .

I would only consider a friesian if it was virtually free.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:37 pm

I would not take a Friesian for free!

Just to be clear, I am limiting all my categories to horses who "pass" a PPE. Within that group I have horses who I might take at half the price like grey's and horses I still would not take at any price like mismatched fronts or positive Lyme exposure.

I would not take a horse who failed a PPE at any price.

khall

Postby khall » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:47 pm

Curious chisamba and tsavo why no Friesians? I've seen some nice ones and Georgia Grandes (Friesian/ASBs) can be very fancy. Gigi Nutter's daughter rode one for a bit.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:04 pm

Too technical. Too hard to ride over the back. Why buy difficulty? This sport is frustrating enough thanks. I would be crazy to buy more frustration just for the sake of it.

Just my opinion.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:08 pm

Chisamba wrote:I would only consider a friesian if it was virtually free.

Yes. Ten thousand times, yes.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:22 pm

Tsavo wrote:I would not take a Friesian for free!
##Me too## I mean that seriously. They are just such ugly creatures and I like pretty horses. Of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and many many people think they are beautiful. The ground shakes when they move. Most of them have no shoulder freedom.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:31 pm

Agree, because Lyme may be a risk factor for all sorts of things, although testing positive in a high Lyme area may mean little, because even if they don't test positive on the PPE they probably will soon, anyway. And for all we know, testing positive could actually be a good thing, because it could mean that they've been exposed and now have some immunity?

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:52 am

Tasavo. My first horse was one who failed 2 PPE with 2 different vets. Mostly failed the flex ion tests.

I bought him anyway! He never took a lame step until he had a severe accident in his late 20's.. he wasnt bought as a show horse, tho he had been shown prior to my purchasing. Just rode In The ring and lots of trail riding.

He will remain the best and most healthiest horse I could have owned!

Bought a 5 year old, had many more X-rays, etc done for the PPE, passéds with flying colors, only to find the vet missed a few things on the X-rays.

I would never think to have a lymes test done, but I will now :D

I would not offer less for a grey nor should a seller expect less if the horse is priced based on breeding, soundness, etc. I don't thinkevery grey gets melanomas. You take a chance on every horse you buy no matter the color.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:02 am

Hayburner, every grey will get melanoma if they live long enough. That is my information.

Flexion tests are probably nonsense on the fronts. They are definitely nonsense on the hinds. So that doesn't surprise me that a horse who failed flexions went on to be sound. I will ignore results from flexion tests when I buy.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:01 am

1. Temperament. Absolutely key. If horse does not pass this - do not pass go, do not proceed.
2. Soundness/conformation. Pretty much zero tolerance for previous injuries or issues of any kind. I have particularly high standards for hoof shape and condition - barefoot, never shod, appropriately cared for in formative years. There is a lot I could rehab - but like with things others have raised - why bother. My experience with broken horses is far too substantial and heartbreaking to willingly repeat. My experience with biomechanics and anatomy tells me there is so much hidden behind every injury that we truly do not know what issues remain (and may impact the horse) even after appropriate rehab.
3. C6-C7 malformation. No, no, no and NO... Big f-off no. I would radiograph for this as part of PPE.
4. Dilute colour. Pretty, but melanomas etc, so, no. Likely no/minimal issues for many years but I want to have a sound, healthy horse well into their 20s.

It may be evident that I don't really buy (or sell) horses... I have one or two very special lifers who, problems or not, stay with me until the end of their lives. Only had to bury one so far - the one with the most injuries and issues who's quality of life as a paddock mate was questionable.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:03 am

Tsavo wrote:Hayburner, every grey will get melanoma if they live long enough. That is my information.

Dilutes, too (ie, grey, cream, etc).

May not affect them visibly/noticeably but likely present.

Xanthoria
Herd Member

Postby Xanthoria » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:06 am

Pay extra for:
Sound barefoot
Super easy keeper

Reluctantly buy of all else amazing, with one of the following only:
Fancy shoeing package
Hard keeper
Difficult in hand (hard to bathe, shoe, trailer, pushy)
Bucks a little or bites
Ulcers suspected
Missing eye
Has to live in a stall for some reason

Won’t buy:
Fails PPE
Lyme, EPSM
History to soft tissue injuries
History of colic. Colic surgery.
Laminitis episode
Shoulder injury at any time
Rearing, serious bucking, bolting, weaving, cribbing
Paperwork not I n order and previous owner can’t give a ref
Not PSSM tested, or seller will not allow me to test
Shivers or any other neurological issue
Last edited by Xanthoria on Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Flight

Postby Flight » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:42 am

musical comedy wrote:
Tsavo wrote:I would not take a Friesian for free!
##Me too## I mean that seriously. They are just such ugly creatures and I like pretty horses. Of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and many many people think they are beautiful. The ground shakes when they move. Most of them have no shoulder freedom.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I love your honesty! I actually have 2 half friesians, but can agree that some aren't the best looking and they can be tricky to get them moving as a dressage horse, rather than a carriage horse. But I have to say their temperaments make them really easy for average riders like myself, to own and train.

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:05 am

It's interesting that Lyme is on so many "no" lists. I'm in an area heavy with Lyme and we just treat it and go about our business. Nearly every horse here has had it at some point. I guess if it went for a long time untreated there might be issues but I've never heard of any who have had any sort of lasting problem. I mean, nearly all the WEG Eventing horses come from Lyme-heavy areas and for sure have had it at some point. Anyway, that's my long way of saying it's not on my no list. I might take blood for it at a PPE but only to have a baseline titer. Maybe I'm naive or live under a rock.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:07 am

khall wrote:Curious chisamba and tsavo why no Friesians? I've seen some nice ones and Georgia Grandes (Friesian/ASBs) can be very fancy. Gigi Nutter's daughter rode one for a bit.

Aortic rupture, skin problems, immune system failure, along with not really liking the look.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:44 am

scruffy the cat wrote: I'm in an area heavy with Lyme and we just treat it and go about our business.

In Lyme areas, presumably the horse is being infected constantly. Just because you are treating doesn't mean the horse can't get immediately reinfected. Then those areas also have other tickborne illnesses... babiosis, erlichiosis, anaplasmosis, etc. (pardon the spelling)

My horse has some very scary symptoms and so did I. The entire left side of my horse was affected neurologically. There was no guarantee the meds would help. I never had the thought that I would "treat and go about my business". Rather I worried neither my horse or I would be cured with the first round. Lyme is associated with arthritis. Maybe his ringbone was sped up due to his infection. Maybe some ringbone cases in Lyme areas are due in part to Lyme in horses who might not otherwise have it. Who knows.

I will not knowingly go down that path again.

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:55 pm

There is no reported correlation between Lyme disease (or even Lyme-related arthritis) and ringbone in any of the medical literature. It is, however, very common in draft horses, even in non-Lyme areas.

I know your horse was very sick. Since mine was, too, you have my entire sympathy. I get it. I'm just saying that in a huge area of the country, people have horses with Lyme and they just treat and move on. I have never heard of symptoms as severe as your horse's in our area. That doesn't mean they don't exist but it's possible we catch it earlier just because it's so common and it's the first thing we think of when horses are off. Both your experience and mine can be true. :-)

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:13 pm

Tsavo wrote:. Lyme is associated with arthritis.

Lyme is associated with autoimmune arthritis.

Ringbone is not an autoimmune disease.

Cartilage damage as we see in ringbone is more structural and inflammatory, but this is not the same thing autoimmune. The body is not attacking itself, it's just normal inflammation and chondrocytes don't regenerate (cartilage cells)

Ringbone is associated mostly with conf. issues like club foot. Also, there are high and low versions.

A horse that has arthritis in one area may have it in another area of cartilage, but not always. It is not systemic.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:00 pm

Xanthoria wrote:Hard keeper

I prefer hard keepers, because they can be turned out on grass all summer and eat free choice hay all winter. I think easy keepers are a lot more work because I need to feed them often enough so they don't develop ulcers, but at the same time limit their feed so they don't get too fat.

Xanthoria
Herd Member

Postby Xanthoria » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:05 pm

Depends on your weather: Here in the west we get no rain March to October, and feeding a hard keeper on no grass is hell. Especially as a boarder - driving out to give extra feeds, hanging around for hours, huge feed bills... ugh!

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:35 pm

Ponichiwa wrote:
Chisamba wrote:I would only consider a friesian if it was virtually free.

Yes. Ten thousand times, yes.

Yes, I would only take a Friesian if it were perfectly behaved, perfectly sound and free.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:40 pm

I would not buy a Freisian in a box.
I would not buy a Friesian with a fox.
I would not buy a Friesian on a train.
I would not but a Friesian in the rain.
Last edited by Tsavo on Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

mld02004
Herd Member

Postby mld02004 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:18 am

I have two greys. IMO melanomas are treatable and I’d take that over a lot of other problems. Most of the time they are slow growing and not the reason for mortality.

I only considered horses with excellent hoof conformation and working well barefoot. I had a horse with awful hooves and even with therapeutic shoeing there were issues.

I think everyone will have their own list, due to past experiences.

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:02 am

scruffy the cat wrote:It is, however, very common in draft horses, even in non-Lyme areas.
=tendency to upright pasterns

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:06 am

mld02004 wrote:I think everyone will have their own list, due to past experiences.

WRONG!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:01 am

There aren't really things I would pay extra for. I figure out my budget and then buy the best horse within that budget. Of course I suck at negotiating, so I probably don't get as much as I could if I was a little more shrewd and looked at horses listed above my budget.

It's case-by-case for me, but I've turned down horses that had:

Funky leg conformation
Parrot mouth
Bad x-rays
Unmotivated attitude/dull
Hard to catch
Inoperable OCD

OTOH, I now own a filly that has an OCD chip, and a mare with a bit of a high/low and a hunter's bump, so obviously I'm willing to accept less than perfect.

I hope that, several years from now, Tesla will be a great riding horse and I can take my time shopping for the perfect next unicorn. I'm much more impatient when I'm (riding) horseless.
Keep calm and canter on.

khall

Postby khall » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:25 am

I know I have definite likes and dislikes. I feel about drafts the way many of you feel about Friesians. Would not want one for any reason and for many reason, not even for free. I have seen some Friesians and crosses that I have liked (Nico and UDBB poster her stallion Cadence ehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ld9-I6pikM

And I remember Bold Contender that Hokan Thorn rode. Not the most spectacular mover but had so much heart. I've also seen some I just do not like, same with the Iberians.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:56 am

I had a Vlaamse Perd crossed with an Arabian in South Africa, I really loved the horse, but even as a cross bred he died young of aortic rupture, my reason for avoiding certain breeds has to do with their narrow genetic base the huge number of health issues found within that narrow genetic base. I have a friend who has a Friesian, i coach her from time to time, he is a nice sweet horse and she does very well on him, but the skin issues the heart problems make me wary of them.

instead of saying i would not take a Friesian i should have said i would be very wary of breeds that have known health issues that are life limiting. Does anyone know of an old Friesian still being ridden? I may have a wrong perception of them based on my limited experience

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:04 am

mld02004 wrote:I have two greys. IMO melanomas are treatable and I’d take that over a lot of other problems. Most of the time they are slow growing and not the reason for mortality.

What about the morbidity? They get the tumors around the mouth and bitting can become an issue.

They get them inside and they might colic.

I don't have the data but would bet the morbidity is astronomical compared to non-greys.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:34 pm

I was a working student at a barn that had a lot of Friesians (well, they had a lot of horses, period). Anywho, they had a couple FEI Friesian stallions, but all were retired from showing/riding by the time they were 16-18. Those poor horses really struggled in the heat and were tough to keep fit.

As far as greys... a friend of mine had 2 with melanomas that metastasized to the spinal area and ultimately ended their riding careers at relatively young ages.

exvet

Postby exvet » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:11 pm

Assuming that the horse was otherwise healthy I would only pay 'extra' for level headed solid disposition. That is 'sort of' what I did when I purchased the mustang (I compromised on a couple of health issues that I knew I could 'fix'). I knew the kid I bought him from had only paid $800 for him and had him a total of 58 days. She had a price tag on him that was $3500, still a stallion (she couldn't afford to geld him nor was he healthy enough to be gelded safely) and he still had a body condition score of only 3/9. When she purchased him he was probably a 2-2.5/9. He was sick and had a draining abscess from a microchip that had been placed in his crest/neck. I saw the potential and I paid for his mind and solid build/structure. He was at least 100% sound at the time. I paid <gasp> $2500 for him, far more than what he would have brought as dog food. He has been the wisest $2500 that I've 'thrown away'. My SO, who did NOT grow up a horse person, saddles and bridles him on his own, takes him out on 2 hour trail rides and comes back in one piece with no hair raising stories. This horse is sound sane and takes care of his rider and has street smarts like no other. That is about the only thing I will and have paid extra for. I'm afraid I am also one who would not take a friesian even if it was free - and obviously for those who know me I've taken a few free horses.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:15 pm

I will add - No draft or draft crosses for me....my only reason is the size - just too big and bulky.

My old horse had perfect feet! In the 18+ years of ownership he never had a problem and they were as big as trash can lids...Never needed shoes. New horse - has perfect feet one of the reason I purchased her was her feet and she didn't need shoes.....After her injury, she needs fronts for support.

So, I look at some of the issues/likes/dislikes you all mention and it can all fall apart once you buy them..LOL

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”