In which I'm reminded how much horse shopping sucks!

musical comedy
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: In which I'm reminded how much horse shopping sucks!

Postby musical comedy » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:47 pm

Xan, this is a TB, which I know you don't want. I'm putting it up anyway just in case. Looks like he has the scope and bravery for you and in your price range. I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt you are going to find any warmblood crosses to meet your requirements in age/price/ability unless you go really young or old, neither of which you want. It's been a long time since I looked for an event horse, so I don't know the current market. I would think that anything youngish with prelim capabilities won't come cheap.

http://www.coresporthorses.com/forrest.html

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:51 pm

Located in Kansas: 2013 RPSI Gelding, jumping x dressage/TB breeding. Some freejump video. Looks like a cute guy. $15k.
https://www.warmblood-sales.com/HorseDe ... erID=18308

Located in NY: 2013 TK mare, dressage/baby hunters video, $20k:
https://www.warmblood-sales.com/HorseDe ... serID=3094

Located in MO: 2015 Hann (Sir Wanabi x TB) mare. $20k:
https://www.warmblood-sales.com/HorseDe ... erID=16798

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:04 pm

More Texas options: 2014 Holst (Cubito x Linero/TB) mare. Some cautionary language in the ad that might be a red flag:
She is athletic and quick, but can be reactive to new stimulus. She would be best suited to a confident amateur or professional with a consistent program.

https://www.warmblood-sales.com/HorseDe ... erID=14160

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:08 pm

Note to virtual shoppers: Preliminary Capable!

Beorn
Herd Member

Postby Beorn » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:41 pm

I myself quite enjoy these virtual shopping requests... all of the fun of window-shopping and none of the money commitment. Besides, I cannot be trusted to judge the quality of anything. :lol:

khall

Postby khall » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:09 am

Your side of the US:
https://www.facebook.com/Crestline-Farm ... _zvXWe3Dvz

scroll down to the 3 yr old gelding. Gosh he is nice! Has US video and jump shoot video. I've always liked Landkonig, thought about breeding to him at one point.

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:39 am

khall wrote:Your side of the US:
https://www.facebook.com/Crestline-Farm ... _zvXWe3Dvz

scroll down to the 3 yr old gelding. Gosh he is nice! Has US video and jump shoot video. I've always liked Landkonig, thought about breeding to him at one point.

I really like how this youngster is being ridden, being started by Jessica Wisdom is a good thing. . .

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:12 am

Xanthoria wrote:Send it on heddy - Id love an eventer but a great showjumper would be alright too! Thanks :)

Finally talked to my aunt. Last she heard, the breeder sold off her herd and retired. It's really too bad. Hans was really sensible, sweet, and a beautiful mover, as were the others I saw at the time (I briefly considered purchasing for myself).

paownyc
Greenie

Postby paownyc » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:45 pm

Xan... have you checked with Andrea Baxter? She sometimes has some nice TB eventers or prospects for reasonable prices.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:58 pm

There has got to be something very wrong with this horse at this price. I did some quick checking and this is a very well bred mare that was owned and ridden in eventing by a top event rider. Apparently it got sold, did one Novice event in 2016 where it retired. I saw a video of the flat work and jumping from 2015 that was super. Just a beautiful mare and so my type. Just thought I'd put it out here.

https://www.dreamhorse.com/ad/2110942.html

Xanthoria
Herd Member

Postby Xanthoria » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:30 pm

Nice mover! There is indeed probably a v good reason she hasn’t done a prelim event since 2015. Video I saw of a T level cc didn’t have enough gallop, and mare is listed elsewhere at 15.2 anyway so 2-3 inches short for me :(

khall

Postby khall » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:11 am

Xan did you look at that 3 yr old by Palladio o/o the Landkonig mare? Plenty of size and can jump plus a really nice mover.

Xanthoria
Herd Member

Postby Xanthoria » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:49 am

Yes and I have emailed them and called twice too - no response at all! :|

khall

Postby khall » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:36 am

Man that sucks! Damn nice youngster there.

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:33 am

Xanthoria wrote:Yes and I have emailed them and called twice too - no response at all! :|

That's odd, I just interacted with the owner a couple of days ago about this horse (she lives close by). He is very appealing. If you're interested, I'll contact her, PM if that works better for you.

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:14 am

Wish I could clone my guy for you. He does have a half-brother for sale, who is currently 17.2 and only 4 (my guy is 4 also). So too big... Both SWB out of Wild Dance. The one for sale is on the left. My guy is on the right.
Attachments
brothers.jpg
brothers.jpg (86.91 KiB) Viewed 26550 times

Josette

Postby Josette » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:58 am

Have you seen this site? Check out the 2 in Eugene OR - I don't know your travel / shipping preference.

http://sporthorsenation.eventingnation. ... me_paged=7

Xanthoria
Herd Member

Postby Xanthoria » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:30 pm

Josette wrote:Have you seen this site? Check out the 2 in Eugene OR - I don't know your travel / shipping preference.

http://sporthorsenation.eventingnation. ... me_paged=7

Nice. Emailing now :mrgreen:

TBlover
Greenie

Postby TBlover » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:54 pm

Hmm if I actually got my butt in gear and got set up for some chute jumping video I might have one for ya...

Xanthoria
Herd Member

Postby Xanthoria » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:24 am

musical comedy wrote:Xan, this is a TB, which I know you don't want. I'm putting it up anyway just in case. Looks like he has the scope and bravery for you and in your price range. I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt you are going to find any warmblood crosses to meet your requirements in age/price/ability unless you go really young or old, neither of which you want. It's been a long time since I looked for an event horse, so I don't know the current market. I would think that anything youngish with prelim capabilities won't come cheap.

http://www.coresporthorses.com/forrest.html

I realized I missed replying to this one. Sorry. yes I may well cave and get a TB but for now I'm giving the WB x thing a shot! I have a few prospects between $15-30k asking price, so we will see. Ranging from fairly dowdy to actually lovely! :mrgreen:

Xanthoria
Herd Member

Postby Xanthoria » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:51 am

OK I have been on the phone today with a trainer who has had a horse for the seller for 6 months. She could NOT have been less interested in talking to me. She didn't even know if the horse had shoes on, or what it ate. "I have SO many horses and I've been doing this for SO long and I'm SO GOOD AT IT..." She told me to ask the barn kids all that stuff, you know, when I FLY OUT TO SEE THE HORSE.

I'm sorry, what is your commission actually for then...? Is 15 minutes of your time too much to spend on a prospective buyer? When I tried to arrange a date to view she was just SO BUSY, but after I said "this sounds like it won't work" she said MAYBE she could get a student to show me the horse...

I hate horse shopping! :evil:

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:07 am

Did you text the person I got my horse from? I saw someone on a FB thread also recommend them .

Xanthoria
Herd Member

Postby Xanthoria » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:16 am

I did. They texted back and after supplying info about what I’m looking for they went silent.

SOMEONE TAKE MY MONEY!!!!!!!!!

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:42 am

Darn it!

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:45 am

I don't suppose you can sell a kidney?

https://www.csquarefarm.com/horses/jagu ... k-and-over

Courtney is known to be pretty expensive. I tried one of her other horses at Windurra and she was fun. Ultimately I don't think she was overpriced for what she was so maybe you could turn a few tricks to make some extra cash? :lol:

Also, you are looking on the Area II FB page? And Event Horses for Sale? Ryan Wood has one but it's probably $$$$$.

Xanthoria
Herd Member

Postby Xanthoria » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:54 pm

scruffy the cat wrote:I don't suppose you can sell a kidney?

https://www.csquarefarm.com/horses/jagu ... k-and-over

Courtney is known to be pretty expensive. I tried one of her other horses at Windurra and she was fun. Ultimately I don't think she was overpriced for what she was so maybe you could turn a few tricks to make some extra cash? :lol:

Also, you are looking on the Area II FB page? And Event Horses for Sale? Ryan Wood has one but it's probably $$$$$.

No - I'm in area VI. The more I shop the more I think I need to stay on the W coast for the time being. Flying to see one horse is going to crunch my budget quickly, as I'd need to probably do that a few times. Unless I go see someone like http://www.teamwindchase.com/forsale.htm That said the area VI FB is for USEA announcements only - no sales. I am on the Eventers of the West FB, and that has sales.

I will work on my tricks :P

Bip
Herd Member

Postby Bip » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:15 pm

Xanthoria wrote:
No - I'm in area VI. The more I shop the more I think I need to stay on the W coast for the time being. Flying to see one horse is going to crunch my budget quickly, as I'd need to probably do that a few times. Unless I go see someone like http://www.teamwindchase.com/forsale.htm That said the area VI FB is for USEA announcements only - no sales. I am on the Eventers of the West FB, and that has sales.

I will work on my tricks :P

You would never need to see just one in PA/MD/NoVA. I think I saw 10 and I could have seen more if I’d planned a bit better. Everyone on the entire east coast sends their horses to that area to sell, so there’s a great selection. There must be somewhere similar on the west coast though. Probably Temecula.

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:30 pm

Agree with BIP. Last horse shopping trip, I planted myself down there and saw 8 in 3 days and definitely could have seen more. Every place I went there were 2-3 that were absolutely something worth sitting on. This past trip I saw 6? 7? in a very short period of time. Just at least browse the Area II FB page. Sales are definitely okay.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:26 pm

I know I live on the wrong side of the country for you, but have you tried contacting these people? https://www.facebook.com/parkwood.equestrian/ This is a very active sales/training barn with lots of horses for sale to look at. They are not far from Salt Lake City too. Believe it or not we have quite a few eventing horses and wb crosses out here in and near Idaho.

Xanthoria
Herd Member

Postby Xanthoria » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:27 pm

OK if I can round up a herd in one place I'll fly. Otherwise, west coast. Specifically right now Portland and surrounding area. Going to have a trip up there soon, already have a few candidates.

Bip
Herd Member

Postby Bip » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:54 am

Xanthoria wrote:OK if I can round up a herd in one place I'll fly. Otherwise, west coast. Specifically right now Portland and surrounding area. Going to have a trip up there soon, already have a few candidates.

That’s probably the west coast equivalent area. I saw a horse for you advertised on the Area 1 website, going Prelim sounds very successful. Mid-5 figures though but if you are a good enough rider to do prelim, you should sell your car (and probably someone else’s too) and get a Prelim horse. I just want someone to be out there doing what they want on horseback!

Xanthoria
Herd Member

Postby Xanthoria » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:36 am

haha - me too Bip! But cannot afford going Prelim horse, only "maybe one day going Prelim horse as long as Xan doesn't crush its will to live..." :roll: :mrgreen:

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:40 pm

Just wondering if you would get more horses if you searched for one star horses rather than preliminary?

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:32 pm

Bip
Herd Member

Postby Bip » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:12 am

PaulaO wrote:http://sporthorsenation.eventingnation.com/listing/safe-fancy-fun-finished-sport-horse-the-horse-of-your-dreams/

Just noticed he’s TB....

He sounds sporthorse need vs racing bred. Does that make a difference Xan?

Xanthoria
Herd Member

Postby Xanthoria » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:24 pm

Bip wrote:
PaulaO wrote:http://sporthorsenation.eventingnation.com/listing/safe-fancy-fun-finished-sport-horse-the-horse-of-your-dreams/

Just noticed he’s TB....

He sounds sporthorse need vs racing bred. Does that make a difference Xan?

Well, first off he's already sold :( but what I'm trying to avoid is the triumvirate of TB woes - some of them come about through track time (training or racing) some are inherent to some TBs: Hard keepers, bad feet, and tendon/ligament/arthritic woes doe to racing at 2 years old.

So I wouldn't discount a TB that had never been near a track if it had GREAT feet and was an air fern :)

That said, those are rare. And now someone will tell me about their perfect TB but honestly, if it can jump 4' sell it to me, or I don't want to hear about it! :P

In other news, I have inquired about 15 horses now. The stats thus far:

Inquiries that never receive a response - even multiple inquiries via phone, email and text: 48%
People who reply at first, then disappear: 20%
Horses whose ads are up, but the horse is sold: 13%

I finally found one I liked and went to see it: one front leg was very twisted from the knee down. Didn't even ride it.

Seriously thinking about buying in the UK... even with import the horses are so much more experienced and talented for the money.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:43 pm

I think the idea of looking in the UK is smart. Figure about $10K for importing/fees.

khall

Postby khall » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:18 am

Yeah horses can be cheap in the UK. They come around on my FB feed quite regularly.

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:30 am

Lots more in the UK and Ireland for very good prices. Plus there would be that really hard to stomach trip over to find one. That wouldn't be any fun at all. You might need some company to make it less dreadful, even.

Xanthoria
Herd Member

Postby Xanthoria » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:36 am

scruffy, I've already booked us on a month-long tour of the UK starting with Olympia in London so we can sharpen our eye for quality horseflesh. Felt sure you would be available? :lol:

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:59 am

Can I tag along? Not looking for a new horse, but it sounds like it would be fun (I mean, a very serious educational experience!)

Snork
Herd Member

Postby Snork » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:28 am

If I’m not mistaken, last time harmless banter like this on this board landed aregard and bj in Ireland. Hunting. For reals.

Send pictures from Olympia girls. :lol:

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:32 am

I have already booked the cheerful holiday flat in Covent Garden for the group.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:33 am

Is Sparkleby still in Ireland, or KY?

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:34 am

Xan, you should look downunder. Tons of horseflesh for stupid cheap. Esp with the dollars the way they are at present.

Xanthoria
Herd Member

Postby Xanthoria » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:19 am

Mountaineer the more the merrier. You can be in charge of chocolate (for energy boosts) and scruffs is in charge of champagne ("in victory one deserves it; in defeat one needs it" - Napoleon).

Snork, I do recall that adventure! So, are you coming???

silk, I wonder what the import fees are?

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:15 am

scruffy the cat wrote:I have already booked the cheerful holiday flat in Covent Garden for the group.

Because Covent Garden is so incredibly convenient for horse shopping, after all...

Chocolate, I can manage...

Fatcat
Herd Member

Postby Fatcat » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:51 pm

Just a comment on horse shopping in general. I learned a valuable lesson on my last horse purchase--find a reputable breeder turning out horses that perform and get one from them. It made the whole experience pleasant and successful. They were very responsive to my inquiries, sending many photos and videos. I was unable to travel to their state (MT and I'm in OR), but I sent my instructor and they were very gracious in working with her. They happily videotaped the prepurchase exam for me to view. They even affordably boarded the mare until I could have her shipped after snow season. Now I'm not in the budget for a WB, but my budget was for a sport Morgan (the poor woman's Vermont warmblood :D ). Even sport Morgans can be expensive, but I spent less than $6k for a 3yo WTC under saddle by a grand prix winning stallion. She's been a fabulous horse for me, I've had her 6 years and has exceeded all my expectations.

So, in a nutshell, perhaps finding an off breed that's affordable, along with finding a GOOD breeder with a track record of producing performers. Is there such a thing as a sport-horse TB breeder that produces horses just for the 3 day market?

Xanthoria
Herd Member

Postby Xanthoria » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:48 pm

Fatcat I bought my current horse from the breeder and yes - it was a lovely experience, until it wasn't. I did buy a 6 month old colt so the wait to ride was VERY long - mistake #1. The other mistake was buying a horse who ended up having PSSM and shivers. If I had waited till he was at least 3 I would have known and bought another horse. Mistake #3 was buying a horse I was told should jump well, with no proof. So I am stuck with an unsellable 6 yr old who really isn't a jumper.

I have been talking to a couple breeders. But in the USA it's very rare to find one who will freejump a 3 yr old over much more than 2' which tells me nothing.

When you look at how jumpers/eventers are marketed in the UK/EU vs US it's startling. In the UK/EU they all show a photo of the horse jumping. If unstarted, freejumping. In the US, you see a cute head shot, flatwork, or a bad conformation pic. "Top level eventing prospect!" - video shows a very ordinary horse slowly jogging over one 2' high fence. They want $25k. Get real.

It's little wonder then that an 8 yr old with Prelim experience in the US is $50k, but in the UK it's $15-20k...

Fatcat
Herd Member

Postby Fatcat » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:01 pm

Xanthoria wrote:Fatcat I bought my current horse from the breeder and yes - it was a lovely experience, until it wasn't. I did buy a 6 month old colt so the wait to ride was VERY long - mistake #1. The other mistake was buying a horse who ended up having PSSM and shivers. If I had waited till he was at least 3 I would have known and bought another horse. Mistake #3 was buying a horse I was told should jump well, with no proof. So I am stuck with an unsellable 6 yr old who really isn't a jumper.

I have been talking to a couple breeders. But in the USA it's very rare to find one who will freejump a 3 yr old over much more than 2' which tells me nothing.

When you look at how jumpers/eventers are marketed in the UK/EU vs US it's startling. In the UK/EU they all show a photo of the horse jumping. If unstarted, freejumping. In the US, you see a cute head shot, flatwork, or a bad conformation pic. "Top level eventing prospect!" - video shows a very ordinary horse slowly jogging over one 2' high fence. They want $25k. Get real.

It's little wonder then that an 8 yr old with Prelim experience in the US is $50k, but in the UK it's $15-20k...

Yes, I've had a horse with PSSM, it was a nightmare. Can you find a breeder who's is producing 3-4yos under saddle from proven jumping parents? That was my thinking--parents that perform = offspring with stable minds and sturdy conformation.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”