Jaw flexions

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
LindaJ
Herd Member

Jaw flexions

Postby LindaJ » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:40 am

Hello :) I’m helping out a fellow boarder getting her horse back in shape after being off work for probably 6 mo. After having ridden him a few times, I really feel he would benefit from doing some jaw flexions prior to riding. I also feel that I’d have better success initially while I’m on the ground with him doing them. I’ve seen this done several times at clinics over the years, but it’s been a while. What recommendations do you have for videos etc. Just wanting to start slowly..and add this to suppling his body as a whole.
To add...she uses a Waterford bit on him. My first time riding a horse with this type of bit. She told me he gets too strong when she’s jumped him in the past, so she feels he is more suited for dressage work. He’s had some dressage training when he was younger.
Thanks in advance :)

Ryeissa
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Jaw flexions

Postby Ryeissa » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:01 pm

If you use a waterford for flexions it might not work, you need a bit a horse can relax around and not back off. the reactions you seek in flexions will be tampered by the bit choice.

After that, it's quite simple really. just raise the bit in the corner of the mouth- up not back- and wait for the horse to give the pressure. Since I ride dressage I want the horse to stay connected so I don't throw the rein back at the horse. I'm talking about mm here, not like the western people. its very light/subtle.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:56 pm

Check out YouTube videos from Patrick King Classical Dressage. He has a few videos that are simple to follow. I put my fingers on the bars and the rest of my fingers around the jaw and let my mare relax and chew and release. I will even do it with the bit in her mouth.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:42 pm

Philippe Karl has some good vids on this, and other stuff, too. I like his vids a lot because he's good at breaking it all down into small steps, and doesn't only show the best attempts with talented horses and riders, but instead demos it with a variety of horses and riders so you can see what it looks like with ordinary movers, too.

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:40 pm

Waterfords are used because the horse cannot lean on the bit because of the amount of movement in the balls. That also means that it won't be very suitable for flexions - because in good contact, the horse should make contact with the bit. Usually, horses that are "strong" are horses that have not been taught how to hh and are not supple through their bodies. Sometimes conformation plays a role in this - short, thick necks and those with coarser throat latches seem to be able to lock against riders more easily than a horse with a very flexible, swan type of neck. But, IMO, this horse sounds like a good candidate for flexions to teach it a better relationship to the bit.

LindaJ
Herd Member

Postby LindaJ » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:47 am

Thank you for all the feed back on this. :)

I’m going to try/look into all that everyone has suggested. I was thinking about getting him a bit similar to what I’ve used on my horse (assuming I feel it fits properly) I appreciate the explanation on the Waterford bit. I agree about him not knowing hh all that well and not being supple through his body. My saddle actually fits him WAY better than his own. Hoping to slowly help fix all this for him but need to see how well the owner is receptive to it. I don’t want to offend, but I see things that need to be changed...and I know it will all help him and her to have a better riding partnership

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:54 pm

be careful....clear everything with the owner. it can get really messy if you try to train the horse for her. Remember the owner always wins ...right or wrong it's their horse. I would start with a contract for leasing to see what the owner envisions.
IF not, move on to something that will be a better use of your time/efforts.
Also, I would not start on this if the owner isn't supporting this work- either by not riding or riding in a similar way. Otherwise it's very confusing to the horse.

LindaJ
Herd Member

Postby LindaJ » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:34 am

Completely agree with you Ryeissa :)

I haven’t had a chance to meet with her yet to see what she thinks as I’ve had health issues to work through with my cat for the last month :( The free time I thought I’d have isn’t panning out

Return to “Dressage Training”