2019 and Jan/Feb goals

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Tuddy
500 post plus club

Re: 2019 and Jan/Feb goals

Postby Tuddy » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:22 pm

I am getting no where with riding this month. I rode once last month and then it turned into the arctic out here on the prairies. In fact, I think the arctic is warmer than my place right now. We have been under an "Extreme Cold Warning" for the past couple of weeks, with last week dipping to the -50°C range with the windchill.

I am done with winter.....

Ryeissa
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Ryeissa » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:26 pm

Tuddy wrote:I am getting no where with riding this month. I rode once last month and then it turned into the arctic out here on the prairies. In fact, I think the arctic is warmer than my place right now. We have been under an "Extreme Cold Warning" for the past couple of weeks, with last week dipping to the -50°C range with the windchill.

I am done with winter.....

Me too
Last edited by Ryeissa on Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:29 pm

The night is always darkest before the dawn, but on days when it's dark when I get to work and dark when I leave work it's hard to remember that at the very least, I'm thankful it's not 90F outside.

That said, my crew is hangin' in there. I had a couple tough rides on Kiwi late last month and could not put my finger on what was wrong. 1000 thanks to my super-observant barn owner, who noticed a on-again-off-again weird smell around dinner time (which is when Kiwi is baring her teeth at any and all passersby)-- the vet came out and noticed a break in one of her teeth which had started storing hay/grain bits and festering a bit. We caught it before it became a real problem, but that totally explains the weirdness in the bridle.

Anyway, fixed it up, gave her a week off, and she's been brilliant ever since. I'm totally kicking myself for not figuring this out sooner.

Queso, meanwhile, remains ridiculously good-looking. He also did his first canter single-loop ever to both directions with zero fuss.

My new concern: WHAT IF HE NEVER LEARNS FLYING CHANGES?!??!

Totally sane and healthy perspective over here, folks.

khall

Postby khall » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:38 pm

I'm so sorry for those who are dealing with harsh weather, injured horses and injured humans. I'm sure you guys are like me you just want to get riding regularly! Last week was really nice here and I got all 3 horses worked several days in a row, actually riding a couple over the days. I am dealing with family health issues though. My dad in 2018 was diagnosed with dementia (not really specified and meds have helped him) after some serious break with reality (hallucinations and paranoia) and last week my mom was also diagnosed with dementia either frontal temporal lobe or Alzheimers. We have more testing before starting medications. I am the main go to with doctors appointments for them both, neither can drive now and they have to have someone with them for doctors appointments. They cannot comprehend anymore. That drastically impacts my riding right now.

I am trying to host Cedar next month (she got her gold medal!) and am struggling. My riders have had horses getting hurt (Juliet is lame again, sigh) humans having health issues and major truck repairs. Hoping she will come down for an abbreviated clinic. Then Jillian for biomechanics lecture in May and Cedar again in June. May try to hit a schooling show in April, have also signed up to audit the Cavalia original trainers in SC in April. I love their book Gallop to Freedom.

Edit:
I forgot to add for Dresseur and H4spots, I found a calming supplement that has worked with my reactive gelding Rip. He is a spook and a spinner, not fun. Smartpak has Relax Blend, it has herbs that will test so cannot be used for showing but with M being on stall rest and H4S gelding needing to walk only and hopefully trail ride I thought I would pass it on to you guys. I've tried so many different ones over the years (had a tense OTTB g) and this is the first that I've used where I could see major difference in my horse.
Last edited by khall on Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:42 pm

Khall sent you a PM

exvet

Postby exvet » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:01 pm

I'm so sorry to hear about your parents khall. I lost my dad to dementia this past fall and my mother has had now 3 strokes. Due to the part of her brain where the strokes occurred they have been preparing me for the likelihood of her developing dementia. I've made several changes to help take care of her and I'm sure there will be more to come. Hang in there. You are not alone.

Hot4Spots
Herd Member

Postby Hot4Spots » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:00 pm

Thanks, Khall. I will check it out and give it a try.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:24 pm

Another exciting day of horizontal snow and high winds... this goes through Sunday with a brief break on Friday. The roads are dreadful, so indoor arena or no indoor arena, I'm staying home and safe. Goals and progress are on hold for a while.

Khall, I'm sorry you are going through this. Seeing one's parents decline is such a difficult thing. Sending you (and ex-vet) my best wishes for fortitude and patience.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:38 pm

We had sideways snow all day yesterday that turned to thick rain (almost snow) last night. Now we have flooding. Supposed to turn back to snow tomorrow and through the weekend. Hold onto your hat, Moutaineer! :shock:

(I am so happy we bought that tractor/loader. Clearing the driveways in the blizzard yesterday was such a treat. Three cheers for having a cab.)

DJR
500 post plus club

Postby DJR » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:42 pm

We've been challenged by weather the last 2-3 weeks, too.

We had a colossal blizzard Tues-Wed, enough that I put all the horses inside overnight (that is a rare event on my farm). Today is sunny and lots of snow on the ground, but overnight tonight we are getting snow then rain/freezing rain, which will once again ruin the snow base and the footing. We've had ice everywhere for the bulk of the last 4 weeks.

I'm lucky if I ride 2x weekly because of all this. The three that I have boarded at an indoor facility are fine, but just driving there has often been too treacherous! When I've been able to ride, I'm taking lessons with my daughter's coach and doing pole/X-pole lessons on Finn (my rising 5-yr-old green-bean) which are fun and very helpful for Finn. Then I'm doing a jump lesson over 2'6" with Jet afterwards (in my dressage saddle since my all-purpose Wintec doesn't fit him!). I've enjoyed this change from constant flat work, and Jet seems to love it so that's fun.

Bring on spring!!!
formerly known as "Deanna" on UDBB -- and prior to that, as "DJD".

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:47 pm

So, I think focus on some basics has paid off. I also am recognizing specific riding errors I have.

Kimba will lose balance and rush during medium to extended gaits. My modus operandi is to collect, rebalance and go again. Suddenly the penny dropped, kick her forward and insist she balance forward then reward with collection or stretch.

Also I reminded myself to activate the hind end every time she leaned into my hand.

I was definitely able to find a higher gear .

I do need to find a trainer I can trust.

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:51 pm

I just checked my current weather - it is -30°F. When you add the wind chill factor, it is -51°F. But, the weather is going to smarten up because all the horses were acting like feral a**holes last night at feeding time. Running and bucking and snorting. My daughters old QH thought he should run by me and kick out... that didn't end well for him.

blob

Postby blob » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:08 pm

Chisamba wrote:
Kimba will lose balance and rush during medium to extended gaits. My modus operandi is to collect, rebalance and go again. Suddenly the penny dropped, kick her forward and insist she balance forward then reward with collection or stretch.

This is a good reminder. Glad it's been working well for you and Kimba. I audited a Scott Hassler clinic about a year ago and he talked about how too often riders do a transitions (within gaits or from one to another) when things aren't going well. But that we shouldn't do that. If a horse is struggling with the canter, we can only fix that in the canter, rather than coming down to the trot. Once the horse fixes it's balance in the gait you're asking, then you can use the transition as a reward and then you're also training a better, stronger transition. The clinic was otherwise useless :lol: , but this was a good takeaway for me.

I hear you on finding an instructor you trust. That can be so hard. Even when there are plenty of trainers around, finding one who's theory you agree with, who understands you and your horse, and is a good teacher can be a challenge. Hoping you find someone you and Kimba really like soon.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:54 am

After 5 days off due to a combination of life circumstances and unutterably shitty weather, I wasn't sure what to expect this weekend.

What I got yesterday was actually pretty good, and very friendly and focused, which was a whole lot more than I thought I'd get, so I stopped while I was ahead.

Today's ride was very interesting. An old friend came to visit who has not seen us for a couple of years, one who was actively involved in the original Laddie rescue story so feels invested in him and was watching with a critical eye.

I will admit I was a) showing off, and b) splitting my brain between riding and socializing.

Boy did we have a nice ride!

I think I need to have more fun, enjoy the moment and strive a bit less...

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:55 am

Show off more often !! Lol

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:20 pm

Thinking about going in another Cindy Canace clinic in April, just have to check son's schedule. Rudy is not that thrilled about our rides in the snow and wind but once he warms up, he goes quite nicely I think. Unfortunately, I still only manage to ride 1 or 2 times a week.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:26 pm

Kimba has decided "fix it forward " means run thru the aids. Sigh. So right now we are back to do the opposite

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:27 pm

The weather is finally supposed to break this week - I have a lesson Friday! Thank goodness, I was about ready to go mental.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:44 pm

My 2-month goals aren't going out with a bang, but with a whimper. Having a very hard time getting myself up and out of bed in time to work out, shower, and get to work on time... so I've just been skipping the workout part. As a result, feeling flabby and unpleasant. And I didn't even get back to sleep between my workout and "no, this is for real, you've got to get out of bed now" alarms! What a waste.

The horses are both back in work (as weather allows). Queso was feeling just a little off on the right front at the beginning of each ride, but would work out of it within minutes. Had the vet out to look at him today-- turns out, he's just a bit one-sided and muscle-sore now that we're starting to dip our toe ever-so-slightly into dressage (vs. green horse basics). My vet prescribed carrot stretches "and anything you can do to get him straight". So. Keep on keeping on.

Clover is currently exploding everywhere this week, which means Kiwi is now a balloon. Time for all of us to get back into shape!

Hot4Spots
Herd Member

Postby Hot4Spots » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:21 am

Oy! I am probably angsting here before I need to, but....so I get to move my guy to the closer to home stable. My vacation (Landrover/Rolex!!!) is set for the end of April - tickets bought, plane and event, hotel, etc. And now I find that the person who usually rides my horse when I am away (a small time pro, but she gets along with him and doesn't mind that it's walk-only) says she cannot ride him. She is currently having to travel to teach/train the horses that used to board at the bar (her inlaws barn, mind you) that shut down, so she just doesn't have the time. So now I have to ask the NEW barn, once I'm in, do they mind if I move him out for two weeks at the end of April, because he is not a horse that just anyone can ride. I'll need to either take him to the woman who started him, or take him back to my old trainer's barn where he can have daily turnout. AARRGH!! To quote Roseann Roseannadanna, "If it isn't one thing,l it's another...."

blob

Postby blob » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:50 am

oh ughs, Hot4spots, that's frustrating. If you can't find a rider that will truly give you peace of mind while you're on vacation, might be worth taking the option of a temporary place that can give him enough turnout.

The last few days have been stressful for me and MM. She got her spring vaccines last wednesday. She's always very reactive and gets bad swelling and soreness for days. She gets banimine before the injections and bute for a few days after. But this time it was much, much worse than normal. Her swelling was worse than normal and the soreness was at an extreme. Her vitals were a bit off the first 24 hours after, but then she seemed to be doing a bit better. Well...now her swelling has move up towards the base of her neck and has started to ooze. the vet is confused, I am very worried. Her vitals are normal, but she's in pain. She's started on antibiotics, which have to be given 2x a day, which is tough for me because it means going before work (the barn is an hour away) and then again after, of course. I'm trying not to over stress and am crossing my fingers that tomorrow or at least soon i will get some confirmation that the antibiotics are working some.

Needless to say, I have not been riding her.

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:15 pm

blob wrote:oh ughs, Hot4spots, that's frustrating. If you can't find a rider that will truly give you peace of mind while you're on vacation, might be worth taking the option of a temporary place that can give him enough turnout.

The last few days have been stressful for me and MM. She got her spring vaccines last wednesday. She's always very reactive and gets bad swelling and soreness for days. She gets banimine before the injections and bute for a few days after. But this time it was much, much worse than normal. Her swelling was worse than normal and the soreness was at an extreme. Her vitals were a bit off the first 24 hours after, but then she seemed to be doing a bit better. Well...now her swelling has move up towards the base of her neck and has started to ooze. the vet is confused, I am very worried. Her vitals are normal, but she's in pain. She's started on antibiotics, which have to be given 2x a day, which is tough for me because it means going before work (the barn is an hour away) and then again after, of course. I'm trying not to over stress and am crossing my fingers that tomorrow or at least soon i will get some confirmation that the antibiotics are working some.

Needless to say, I have not been riding her.

Oh I am sorry to hear! Hopefully, you get to the bottom of this!

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:20 pm

Well, the latest depressing Miro update is in. We started an exploratory mission to see if there were any other structures involved other than his hip, and he blocked 50% sounder when we did his hind suspensory. So, while his hip is still the main culprit, apparently he tweaked the hind suspensory in whatever he did. We'll ultrasound next Thursday to see if there is anything super concerning there, other than being super concerned about a possible suspensory injury on top of the hip soft tissue injury. I just can't win. Sigh.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:58 pm

Dresseur wrote:Well, the latest depressing Miro update is in. We started an exploratory mission to see if there were any other structures involved other than his hip, and he blocked 50% sounder when we did his hind suspensory. So, while his hip is still the main culprit, apparently he tweaked the hind suspensory in whatever he did. We'll ultrasound next Thursday to see if there is anything super concerning there, other than being super concerned about a possible suspensory injury on top of the hip soft tissue injury. I just can't win. Sigh.

Oh no, I hope there's not a suspensory injury on top of the hip issue.

Jingles for your girl too, Blob. :(
Keep calm and canter on.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:33 pm

So I decided to fix the rushing by working on half steps and piaffe. I have done some on hand work to introduce the work, but when she got rushy I asked her to lift shoulders, reduce stride size but remain active behind and when I felt a shift in balance we moved forward again.

If she tried really well we stopped and stretched.

I feel like it was a very helpful exercise

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:53 pm

Very sorry to hear of the challenges--whether in arranging care or horse health. Keep us posted.

We are still getting massive amounts of rain so this is the least work Emi has gotten in at least a year. Last week I was out of town, but my student rode a little between rain storms. This week I'll be lucky to ride twice. She seems to be doing okay with the stall time though (better than being out in non-stop cold deluges). I finally got her new bit in so I will try that at some point.

Nice update, Chisamba. Doing "the opposite" can help in both directions!

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:10 am

It seems like everyone I know is having a challenging winter--Blob and Dresseur, sending good thoughts to both of you--very worrying indeed. H4S, it'll be OK.

It's been unseasonably frigid here on top of all the snow. It's making me tired and depressed and unhappy, and everyone around me is exhausted and snappy with dealing with life in this awful, endless bloody weather.

Maybe I need to throw a wild party to cheer everybody up.

Laddie, however, is doing great. I had a really good lesson on him today and can now really feel how much we have developed over the last few months. I'm so fortunate to have him. He's the highlight of my life at the moment and riding him brings me great joy.

Of course being so damned cold I couldn't feel my fingers and thus managing to slam them in the bars of a sliding stall door so they are now a fistful of blue sausages doesn't bring me great joy.

Thank God for alcohol and chocolate and a warm comfortable bed.

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:53 am

Dresseur - sorry to hear about Miro. It's just never easy...

I rode for the first time in a few weeks, did the flatwork part of my jumping lesson this morning. Did not jump a single thing, but did do trotting poles. In typical Odin fashion, he didn't pay attention and faceplanted over them. Having Cataflam and muscle relaxants for breakfast. Yay me...
But if my neck holds up, I will hopefully be riding again tomorrow.
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:20 pm

Aw gee, so sorry to hear about Miro, Dresseur. More jingles for complete recovery by summer.

Moutaineer, I shut my finger in the dryer door 2 weeks ago, now it freezes every time I go out to mess with the horses. Oh, and I may have deformed the nail. This too shall pass. Jingles for chocolate and alcohol curing your very sore fingers. Apparently we are sending you some warmer weather (with snow, of course) all next week.

Mari, I hope your neck is okay. Horses can be so dumb sometimes. :lol:

Single digit temps with wind have kept me off Rudy (he really hates cold wind, as do I); although the sky was such a beautiful blue yesterday and I think it got clear up to 25F for an hour or so. :D Tio loves the snow but hates the ice, so there's a lot of standing around going on with those two. Good news is, however, that Tio's feet are staying healthy so far.

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:34 pm

This is probably the worst winter for riding I have ever had since buying Bliss.

The tail end of every snowstorm this winter has been freezing rain followed by heavy rain; enough to turn everything to slush, and then consistently temps have taken steep dives over the next 12 hours to around 0 F. So this is the winter of ICE. Fortunately, Bliss's little turnout behind the barn isn't solid ice, so he's still getting turned out, but it's not possible for me to take him even on the driveway because it's literally a skating rink. I haven't ridden since Feb. 2nd and I'm starting to go a little stir crazy, as is he.

Spring can't come soon enough!!!

Sorry for all you folks with injured equines, or who are yourselves injured. Hope everyone heals quickly!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:49 pm

I had a bit of a break through today, one clean and immediate flying change in each direction.

There were three important preparations. First: obedient trot canter trot transitions without her pushing harder into the rein.

I had always been taught that canter walk transitions were the key to changes but it was trot canter trot transitions that worked.

Second, absolutely zero pushing through the half halt.

And third, repetition of pattern without allowing her to negatively anticipate. She still just had to wait for the aids when if she knew what was coming

I feel optimistic.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:18 am

Very nice update, Chisamba! I find that the thoroughness of trot-canter-trot-canter is a huge tell for how well everything is working :-). If I have any loss of power in these transitions, I will not get a good change.

Looking back on the month of rain, I realize that we still got 15+ rides in. Not terrible. I think it would be very hard for me to return to the true north/winter!

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:05 am

I'm finding the trot/canter/trot/canter transitions useful for all sorts of things--they require a very balanced horse to do properly.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:58 pm

Moutaineer wrote:I'm finding the trot/canter/trot/canter transitions useful for all sorts of things--they require a very balanced horse to do properly.

I had all my Saturday lessons focus on this, it is quite revealing what the horse does in the transition is such a clear tell on what needs improving.

I'm a believer.

Flight

Postby Flight » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:44 pm

Sorry about Miro, Dresseur. Let us know what the ultrasound shows.
Our weather has started to cool down a bit which is nice. Still very dry and dusty though. I've seen so many snow pics on FB from the US - I just can't imagine dealing with that! What happens when it all melts? Is it suddenly very wet and muddy?

My horses are going nicely, nothing dramatic, just building on what we've been shown in the clinics. Ding is getting stronger - some friends who hadn't seen him in a while commented that he's so much 'bigger' now, more developed.
I've been playing with the 1x changes occasionally. I can't get that third change yet, it's so fast! I'm slow with my aids because I still can't stop waiting to see if the one I've asked for has happened and by then it's too late to get the next one. But I'm sure we will get it in time, this is just a fun thing to play with.

https://youtu.be/3N3MjS1zMIs

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:52 pm

Looking back at the month, I see that Emi has done 15 days of work of some type. Not bad, given that she hasn't done much in the last two weeks!

I tried her new Bomberz/happy tongue ported mullen mouth bit today (which we selected in the bit clinic in Dec.). She was very fussy/exploratory when I first bridled her, but as soon as we walked off, she was right there in the contact (which I remembered from the clinic---she seemed much easier to connect at the walk). Overall, she was quiet and solid in the bit, but it is a different feel for me.

It was a very good ride post 6" of rain (in very rainy month)! Focus was basic loosening plus really motoring in shoulder in/shoulder out---which she clearly can do and loves. Our outdoor arena is amazing, as it was very rideable after some sun and wind today post flooding rains. The best part of the ride was being able to do a genuine upward half halt as needed on the medium trot efforts. It totally opened up her trot and I got some of her biggest efforts ever----mainly by setting her up and giving her a reminder to lengthen her frame with the upward HH.

Of course, this positive report might also be due to the fact that she had her bi-annual dental care yesterday too (that took major driving by me in my trusty VW to get around flooded roads to the barn). The dentist noted that most dressage and performance horses have areas on their upper left teeth that need extra attention...and can be sensitive. Does that ring a bell with anyone else? I will say that I felt Emi was much more comfortable on that left rein and easy on left HHs.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:59 am

Flight, yes, we will have some flooding when all this melts--and mud... Mid April to the end of May is known as "mud season" here. With due reason.

I was looking at the banks of ice 20" thick outside my run in sheds this morning and not looking forward to that melting into my run in sheds. We've got a week of warmer temps coming up this week and Walker is already partly under water. There's not a lot I can do about it but it's pretty miserable.

demi

Postby demi » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:28 am

I have to properly assess my progress wrt my goals but don’t have the energy at the moment. I did ride 17 times in January and so far 17 in Feb. I’m loving my weekly lessons but am still on the school horse. The weather has just been too yucky to haul Rocky.

I’m following everyone even tho I’m not posting much. Hang in there Dresseur. Flight, thanks for all your videos. You are making great progress. Hey, Chisamba, I’m complaining about Texas weather, but compared to the eastern US, it’s not bad. I hope you find a trainer out here that you can trust. there are quite a few to choose from in the Dallas area. And if you board at At covered areana, you’ll be able to ride all year round.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:52 am

Moutaineer wrote:
I was looking at the banks of ice 20" thick outside my run in sheds this morning and not looking forward to that melting into my run in sheds. We've got a week of warmer temps coming up this week and Walker is already partly under water. There's not a lot I can do about it but it's pretty miserable.

We cut shallow swales outside all the run ins, and surprisingly, they work, even though all the snow and water from the barn roofs drain that way. What happens apparently, is that as the snow melts it runs down through the piles of snow and goes off down the swale underneath.

Riding goals, as usual, are to just drag myself out there and get on the horse. Once I'm on I'm fine, but getting there can be a challenge.
Last edited by kande50 on Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

blob

Postby blob » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:00 pm

blob wrote:
MM:
-Continue work on changes to get them reliably clean and on the aids
-Medium trot-- more power, less speed
-More polish and power in HP (trot and canter)
-Half steps

RP:
-Find RP a saddle we both like (fitter comes next week)
-Work on establishing strength and consistency in a higher frame at the trot (RP would love to spend all ride in stretch trot and gets fussy staying up)
- keep working on lateral flexibility
- keep working on having a happier, healthier pony (ulcer treatment, body work, and ground work)

Me:
-core strength
- take lunches to work
- ride with shorter reins

Figured I may as well do a recap of goals now.

MM:
This ended up being a very rough 2 months for us. First we had some training set backs that put us in a real funk. And then had a major scare with her vaccine reaction (there was concern about it being gas gangrene). We're still treating the infection caused by her shot (thankfully though it's responding to antibiotics), but the ordeal has meant no riding for the last 2 weeks of Feb. Really none of the goals were achieved, and if I'm honest between the training set backs and her not being well, we probably have some catching up to do in March to get us back to where we were.

RP:
We didn't find a new saddle, though we did meet with the saddle fitter. We've been using MM's saddle, which seems to fit him well for now, as he builds muscle and strength, we'll reevaluate. He's definitely been a happier, healthier pony, which is a huge relief. And in general his training has been coming along. The trot work is getting more powerful, he's having an easier time maintaining tempo and contact in a good working frame, and we've had some success with baby LYs and ToFs. Staying supple on the left side is still an issue, sometimes when I ask for left flexion or bend, he will lock against the aids. So, that's something to keep working for. But overall, it's been a good, productive 2 months for him.

Me:
LOL, well...core strength is a never ending pie in the sky. But i'm not sure I had much fo a chance to work on it. I was better about lunches for most of Jan, but in Feb I was staffed on a new project that has me out and about doing field work/interviews 3x a week. On those days I have no refrigerator or microwave access so, lunches have been had out--which isn't ideal for my wallet or health, but it is what it is. I've been better about shorter reins with RP, but it had been a challenge with MM before she got sick. I was either too long or too short, making her tight. I need to find the right balance with her.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:09 pm

Saturday was mostly grey but just as I got Tio out to work him, the wind died down and the sun came out! I took that as a sign that it was time to actually ride Tio even though the arena had snow with hidden icy spots that made poor T a little nervous about slipping when he was on the lunge. So hop on I did and he was foot perfect. 8-) 8-) Too iffy for cantering footing-wise but walk and trot were wonderful. Rudy was a tad miffed that I rode Tio first but he got over it. He, being more trained and therefore more balanced, was fine in all 3 gaits.

Sunday it warmed up above freezing making my arena a soupy, icy mess and basically unrideable except in the walk. Undaunted, I again rode BOTH horses, doing most of the "work" on the road. I hand walked Tio first because I couldn't lunge or even do ground work, but once again, he was an absolute gem. Even though he was excited to be going down the road, he remained soft and respectful of the bit and very responsive to leg aides. Even the gravel road was a soggy mess so I had to stay on pavement with him. Rudy, otoh, got to go for a vigorous trot down the road, splashing through mud and puddles and slush like a seasoned eventer. Unfortunately, the wind kicked up over 30mph which was very unpleasant so I cut our adventure short and went back home. Started raining just as I turned the boys loose and it hasn't stopped since. :(

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:41 pm

I will ride again some day, sigh. It's been so wet, our arena is taking a toll. And Maia's not a horse anyone should be climbing on and just wander off down the road on ... just yet. I think she'll be there by summer.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:27 am

A brief weather respite--it was 43 glorious sunny degrees this afternoon--slush fest, but at least not snowing or freezing and actually warm and bright in the indoor, which always makes for better work from both of us.

Worked on shoulder in to half pass--going for the flow rather than the shove, and the inevitable trot/canter/trot/canter transitions. Nice, happy, forward and positive ride.

It'll be snowing again by Thursday.

khall

Postby khall » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:11 am

Beautiful weather here last couple of days and am getting some horses worked thank goodness! All are going well, today worked on Rip with T,C,T transitions, W,C,W and W,CC,W transitions. Had a few bumps initially but he smoothed out nicely. One thing I worked on was riding with precision in my arena, I tend to get slack and let things slide. Got called on it in Spain, boy it makes a difference! I do better in the trot but was concentrating on riding my corners better in canter, Rip felt great! He needs more fitness, just have not been able to keep him going as well this winter as I usually am. Joplin is just a joy. Not sure if I will get up on her before Cedar comes back (been trying to but need a 2nd person which is not so easy to come by) but she is more than ready.

Have Cedar coming in just over a week for 3 days, audit clinic in SC in April, Jillian Kreinbring in May and Cedar back again in June. Also will be starting a construction project here on the farm, a shop/apartment for my parents to move in to asap. Neither are ready for assisted living but need more support than living 6 miles away and not being able to drive. They both are looking forward to the move so they can help my DH and I here on the farm. My sister and I feel it is the best option for our family/parents and that this will keep them active and involved yet literally in our back yard so I can monitor them easier. Will be a big change but necessary one.

So sorry dresseur about Miro, gosh these horses can just break your heart. blob hope your mare comes back soon, ditto on vaccine rxn though mine was high fevers not sore neck,swelling that weeps. It still took mine about 2 weeks to come back to mostly normal. Really affected their appetite (bought beautiful alfalfa and they would not eat it those 2 weeks). Jingle for all of you dealing with harsh winter, cold, wet, flooding (we are wet but thankfully not flooding like TN) I should share a picture of the peach trees blooming here, a bit early but with our weird GA weather they've popped out already.

exvet

Postby exvet » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:14 am

Well we finally have great weather here. Like most of the rest of you I had to deal with snow, not just a dusting, but we ended up with 12 inches of snow due to a freak storm that hit the desert. I was thankful to have 4-wheel drive in my truck. Any how the snow is now gone and I was able to have a lesson today. I've decided to up the ante and for the April show so we're shooting for first level. The comments I got on both of my tests as well as my scores suggest that I might keep booger boy in a better frame of mind if I go to a test that has more than endless 20 meter circles and 60 meters of nothing....so we came up with a plan on where to focus and that was correct and balanced working gaits. What? Yup, we simply worked on endlessly asking for Junior to work over his back, work into the contact giving me power within the stride, and balanced strides where he accepted the bridle. I made sure my transitions were good and we had a wonderful lesson overall, one of the best we have ever had. The movements (for first level) really aren't and issue. I just need to focus on honest true connection and working forward in a way that responds to request in a way that isn't over reactive. We'll see if I can achieve any RELIABLE consistency....My lesson was definitely the highlight of my day....too bad it was at 7 am. The rest of my day sucked; but, hopefully next week I'll have another lesson so I have high points to look forward to. Looking forward to more typical Arizona weather and lots of riding in the weeks to come.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:06 pm

Some great ride updates. Exvet, that's a great report. Glad it was spirit lifting, too!

We are closing out the month with 5 days in row of riding (although we barely missed rain today). While flooding has troubled some areas around our home and the barn, both points survived the 11+ inches of rain in a week very well. Emi feels wonderful. I'm sure the warmer temps help, but she is also taking staying in front of the leg very seriously. We were hacking with a friend yesterday and Emi sighed heavily, then left her friend in the dust at a walk (we usually switch leading but often Emi prefers following). She has really taken the lesson of the leg to heart. The left canter is also starting to make a big shift for the better--I especially see it in improved uphillness in the departs.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:32 am

I joined a gym, signed up with a personal trainer (damn I thought riding was expensive) and am working out.

Kimba will give one clean flying change in each direction with a lot of correct preparation.

I need to overcome seasonal depression but days are lengthening

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:59 pm

Chisamba, that is a super update, and fairly fast progress! I hear you on the seasonal depression, not only is it still cold, dark and gloomy, but the weather conditions have continued to be challenging. I know a lot of people are really struggling this year. Everyone else, I am reading updates and enjoying hearing progress and am commiserating with fellow riders that are dealing with horse and human issues, I've just been blah...

I do have a Miro update. He had his ultrasound yesterday and thankfully, there is only a teeny, tiny bit of thickening when compared to the other hind suspensory. He is still slightly off, but again, a wee-bit better than the last time. The vet has taken this on as a pet project since he feels that it's an unusual case. So, lucky me, :roll: but, lucky me :) The vet recommended shock wave treatments, and not only is he taking $50-$75 off the normal price, he's not charging me a farm fee, and he's doing both sites (hip and suspensory) for the price of one. I'm shocked and absolutely thrilled because that means that I can afford it without raising major eyebrows from my husband :lol:

His first appt is next week. Also, I guess it's ok that he's still off because I managed to give myself a groin injury (not from riding) that is sidelining me from riding for the time being. So... just &%$*$@

blob

Postby blob » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:22 pm

Glad to hear some really good reports coming in at the end of this month!

Dresseur, glad you have a vet who is committed to solving the problem (and saving you some money in the process). fingers crossed for more good updates in the future!

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:19 pm

I had postponed making an update last weekend because the weather was so nice, I figured I'd have a couple more rides this week to really settle some things.

Resounding no on that front, I'm afraid. This week we're getting all the stormy weather it sounds like Mountaineer, Exvet, and Khall are missing. It's not even that we're getting all that much rain (11", Piedmontfields? Yikes!) but that it's relentless. So I haven't ridden at all in the last 5 days, and the next 2 aren't looking good, either.

So, here's what I wanted to do:

Kiwi:
- Half steps 2x/month
- Transitions between collected and medium or extended trot
- Fluency in half passes
- Canter pirouette work 1x/week

End-of-period report: Got all 4, even though I had to giv her 2 weeks off due to tooth troubles between Jan and Feb. She's now wearing a grazing muzzle so she doesn't get too fat, and is NOT HAPPY. However, her work is great!

Queso:
- Transitions between trot and canter
- Intro to leg yielding
- Contact

Good news here, as well. Upwards transitions are landing on the correct lead about 90% of the time, and we're getting to the point where I can do more than one on a 20m circle. Our only weak point in the list is contact-- we're still figuring that one out. Work in progress.

Me:
- Ride 4x/week
- Hit the exercise bike 4x/week
- Track calories

Welllllll... I was doing very well all of these (weather permitting for Bullet 1), but fell off the wagon in the last 2 weeks. I need to get back at it because I was down a respectable 5 lb and have since put 2 back on.

Return to “Dressage Training”