Any Schleese Obrigado Owners here?

Hayburner
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Any Schleese Obrigado Owners here?

Postby Hayburner » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:58 pm

I haven't been able to find a used one locally nor is there a Schleese fitter close by and I'd like to give one a try. My mare doesn't have an unusually short back - but, since they are made more for the baroque breds, I thought I'd give one a try for my PRE.

My 2 other saddles (Wintec Isabel and F. Baines Elegance) are both 17.5 seat and I think my Baines has a shorter flap - possibly 15 or 16 inch.

If you have an Obrigado or have tried one - did you need to go up seat size?
Are they really as comfortable as they claim?
Do you have the outer thigh blocks or the ones under the flap?
Did your horse go better in this saddle?

Any cons on the brand/model?

I haven't ridden in a saddle with the outer blocks - pro's/con's?

Thanks!

musical comedy

Re: Any Schleese Obrigado Owners here?

Postby musical comedy » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:09 pm

I tried one with the outside block. Yes, it was comfortable. Yes, they run small because there is no 'flat spot'. I needed an 18inch seat and it would have been too long for my horse's back. Therefore I didn't order it. Even with all the bells and whistles you could get on it to accomodate a short back wasn't going to work. Cost new: $7500.

I have to have a short outer block because of my long thigh. I love the short block, but it has to be angled (not straight).

Beorn
Herd Member

Postby Beorn » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:49 pm

I have one kicking around here (#2 choice for my horse, but I'm paranoid that he'll decide he doesn't actually fancy the current saddle, so.. given the screaming deal I got on it, here it sits).

I didn't find it to ride especially small, which was surprising because I'm (ahem) well-endowed behind. I was coming from a Spirig, though, and also trialed a JRD that I couldn't get comfortable in. My Obrigado is a 17.5" with an external short thigh block. It's not terribly restrictive, but it also doesn't let me get too creative with my leg position.

My Spirig fit my horse fine, but he suddenly decided it was Not For Him. He'd developed so much topline that he really seemed to appreciate saddles with a cut-back panel (the shoulder relief) and a more open head, so there was a huge difference in his way of going -he was more willing to stay forward without reminders from me.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:05 pm

Thanks for the replies- I'm really hoping to find one locally that I can try out.

One of you thinks it doesn't sit small and one of you thinks it does! LOL.....I guess my answer will be how it fits my butt......and legs.

The majority of what I've found used have a 17 inch flap which I'm pretty sure will be too long - so it might take awhile to find one that works for me.

I'm hoping to stay at 5K or under.....

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:48 pm

I've got an 18" for my short-backed slope-shoulder GRP mare. The shoulder relief/cutback shoulder is what made the biggest difference in her way of going. It's built on a smaller tree than their typical 18" and also has the short panels, which makes it sit well short of her 18th rib. I don't find that it sits small relative to the seat size.

My sister has a 17.5" Obrigado that is padded very differently in the seat itself and as a result, rides dramatically smaller than it measures.

If you're willing to take a risk, I've seen some on Ebay for <5k (example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Schleese-Obrig ... ctupt=true)

If they have either a) minimal use, or b) symmetric adjustment history, it's not too much of a risk. Some fitters try to dramatically change the shape of the tree to match dramatic asymmetry in the shoulders, which can torque the tree beyond its ability to recover to a more symmetric shape.

Beorn
Herd Member

Postby Beorn » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:44 pm

I wish you were closer - I'd let you try mine out!

I have seen them go for less than $3k online...

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:23 pm

Thanks Ponichiwa - I have been watching Ebay and have seen a few with nice pricing. There was one I really liked as it had a shorter flap, she still wanted $5,500 and would not do a trail. That's too big of a risk for me. I would also need to schedule a fitter to make sure what ever I try that it is double checked to make sure it will work. Sky Saddlery usually has a few that they will do a trial on.

Thanks Beorn!

I am still worried that I may not like the outer thigh blocks, but like anything else you probably get use to them and end up liking them.

Beorn
Herd Member

Postby Beorn » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:48 pm

Hayburner wrote: Sky Saddlery usually has a few that they will do a trial on.

Thanks Beorn!

I am still worried that I may not like the outer thigh blocks, but like anything else you probably get use to them and end up liking them.

Skylands is an official Schleese fitter and can adjust some of the saddles (depending in the owner) to your horse based on templates and pictures - so at least it'll be closer before your fitter takes a look?

I was convinced I hated outer blocks until I tried them. The ones on the Schleese have some adjustability (angle) and there are a few block options available, too, that you can swap out if you wanted something longer, etc.

Dreamer
Greenie

Postby Dreamer » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:11 am

I had one. It had the outside blocks. I didn’t feel it fit small, took my usual size but I sold it becase I felt like I was in a chair position in it. I was always struggling with position in it. I know other people that love them. I’ve sat in two of them that felt different so make sure you get a trial.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:45 pm

Thanks Dreamer - Just wish their fitters came around more often. I will check the current fitter I am using to see if she has any experience with them.

Return to “Tack, Apparel, Facilities and Transportation”