A vegan cheese you can bring home to meet your parents

KathyK
Bringing Life to the DDBB

A vegan cheese you can bring home to meet your parents

Postby KathyK » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:32 pm

Ever since my serious sensitivity to milk protein was discovered more than 30 years ago, I have been diligent about avoiding dairy. I really don't miss much of it; two things I have missed are whipped cream (the real stuff) and grilled cheese sandwiches. So far it doesn't look like there's much to be done about the whipped cream, but this week I found a vegan cheese that has given me back my grilled cheese sandwiches. It's called Chao, made by Field Roast. I bought the "Creamy Original" which tastes like a very mild cross between Swiss and cheddar. It's okay straight out of the package, but make a grilled cheese sandwich with it and it will knock your socks off. It melts and stretches and gets gooey just like cheese.

This may not seem like a big deal to some, but for me, it's a very happy discovery. For the first time in more than 30 years I have had a lovely grilled cheese sandwich and enjoyed every bite.

PaulaO

Re: A vegan cheese you can bring home to meet your parents

Postby PaulaO » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:53 pm

I was thinking of having a grilled cheese and bacon sandwich for dinner. Grilled cheeses are the best.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:01 pm

Mmmm, cheese... Glad you found something that you can eat and enjoy.
Keep calm and canter on.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:16 pm

I get it! :) That is awesome. where can you get this magical stuff? I LOVE Grilled cheese but as a GF and dairy free (mostly) person it's the one thing I can't really have...DAMN.....

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:06 am

I got it at my local grocery store. The website has a store locator. Tuna melt for lunch today. Life is good.
https://fieldroast.com/where-to-buy/

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:34 am

The Whole Foods in our area (MD/DC/NoVA) carry the whole line of Field Roast products in the cold case near tofu, eggs, etc. Wegmans has some of their produccts too in the vegan/GF section.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:30 pm

thanks!

gee
Greenie

Postby gee » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:27 pm

Daiya cheeses are pretty tasty. My brother is very lactose intolerant so I use their products when cooking stuff for him.
https://daiyafoods.com/

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:29 pm

I've tried several kinds of Daiya and wasn't crazy about them. This Chao is a world apart. You're a good sister to accommodate your brother's lactose intolerance. Try the Chao -- your brother will thank you!

highoctane
Herd Member

Postby highoctane » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:32 pm

OMG THANK YOU!!! My hubby found the Chao at our local Walmart, and coupled with Frantz white bread - which is the best gluten-free bread IMHO - this stuff makes AMAZING grilled cheeses! I went back and got more to try on some gluten-free pizza dough (pizza just isn't pizza without cheese, and Daiya is gross). YAY!!

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:12 pm

highoctane wrote:OMG THANK YOU!!! My hubby found the Chao at our local Walmart, and coupled with Frantz white bread - which is the best gluten-free bread IMHO - this stuff makes AMAZING grilled cheeses! I went back and got more to try on some gluten-free pizza dough (pizza just isn't pizza without cheese, and Daiya is gross). YAY!!

You are very welcome! Now go get yourself my next great find: Miyoko's Mozz for pizza and anything else that wants mozzarella. I've made pizza with it and last night made a lovely eggplant, mushroom, and zucchini casserole with pasta sauce and Miyoko's between the layers.

LeoApp
Herd Member

Postby LeoApp » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:59 pm

I understand how you feel - I have to eat low carb and I miss rice really badly!! Thank God I can eat dairy. You say you don't miss it but I would miss cheese terribly if I couldn't eat it! So glad you found something you really like.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”